Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 376159 times)

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
Re: Ayreon / Other Arjen Lucassen Projects Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2010, 02:36:04 AM »
The slow section of Age of Shadows where she sings (Forever we ______) is some of Ayreon's best.
caw caw

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »
She has such a unique voice.  :heart

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2010, 08:29:56 AM »
I love her ad lib part at the end of The Sixth Extinction. Love it on Waking Dream
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »
Yeah. And the bit with Floor Jansen on Beneath The Waves.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2010, 10:17:18 AM »
01 is a beast of an album in general.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
Indeed. I haven't listened to it in ages though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2010, 12:17:12 PM »
Want... more... star... one... updates...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »
Want... more... star... one... updates...

It might take a while. As far as I know the music is just demoed, not recorded. So he has to find his session players, record all of that, figure out who will be singing, write the vocals then record them, then mix, then master. Might be a while.

I really hope he brings back Damien, Russel and the other guy who was with Star One live. Not a fan of the one on the album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2011, 07:38:41 AM »
Couldn't find any other general Ayreon topic.

From Arjen's Twitter:
Happy 2011 all, thanks for making Star One a success! No touring though, sorry... Next up is my solo album, I feel really inspired :-)

Regarding "solo album"... Do you think he means another Ayreon album with different guest vocalists and musicians as before, or really a solo album with just him on vocals and all instruments (maybe except drums)?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2011, 07:54:36 AM »

From Arjen's Twitter:
Happy 2011 all, thanks for making Star One a success! No touring though, sorry... Next up is my solo album, I feel really inspired :-)

Regarding "solo album"... Do you think he means another Ayreon album with different guest vocalists and musicians as before, or really a solo album with just him on vocals and all instruments (maybe except drums)?

Hard to say, really. I don't think he's ever released a truly SOLO album, they've all be under different banners - Ayreon, Ambeon, Stream Of Passion, Star One, and Guilt Machine - but nothing under his OWN name. I think he said he's pretty much done with the "Ayreon" storyline, so I doubt we'll see another Ayreon album, at least in THAT story. I think it would be smart of him to just leave Ayreon as it is, since 01011001 pretty much wrapped up that series, along with Timeline. I think he could go ahead and do just a solo album with him on vocals because, I think he said somewhere, that he wanted to do an album with him on vocals because he feels he can only sing as well as he can for so much longer, he'd rather get that solo album out of the way while his voice is still good. Maybe have him do the majority of the guitars/keyboards, bring in Ed Warby on drums, someone on bass, and then maybe a couple guests instrumentalists/soloists.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
Couldn't really imagine a solo album being anywhere as good as an Ayreon album.  Guest vocals and musicians is what makes it so great.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
Just threw in "Embrace the Storm" for the first in a few years probably, and I'm digging it much more that I thought I would!  I'm loving the strings and piano.  Never did get into the post-Arjen material though...

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2011, 04:06:13 AM »
Just a short update: Arjen has posted on Facebook that he's recording some coversongs for the new album and mentioned artists like Bowie and Zappa amongst others for possible reference.

Hot News: The long out-of-print Ambeon 'Fate of a dreamer' (with 14 year old Astrid van der Veen on vocals) will be re-released with loads of extra (unreleased) tracks !

Keep following his website or Facebook account for other hot poop.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2011, 05:50:37 AM »
I have had  the human equation ( cam what a masterpiece ) for a long time mow and still play it all the time is it me or am i the only one who thinks this is the only great album out of them all or ahould i relisten to one of the others again ? I want to and keep trying to latch on to another album but i nothing has clicked yet.

Ok so Kinda a update to self
Since this original post I have all the ayreon albums and Star one and now listen to all of them quite regularly it took me a while but i love it all now ! love the different atmosphere from each and all the vocals so much going on Love love love it.
Also note to self check for typo's LOL!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:39 AM »
I'm a big fan of this guy, and actually my project was very much inspired by Ayreon - it's the same kind of thing, where I wrote all of the music then gathered some guest musicians to bring it to life.

Never really got into the Guilt Machine album much.  Found it a bit on the dull side, but I love his Star One and Ayreon stuff, all of it.  :hefdaddy

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »
Hot News: The long out-of-print Ambeon 'Fate of a dreamer' (with 14 year old Astrid van der Veen on vocals) will be re-released with loads of extra (unreleased) tracks !

About. Time.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I'm surprised at the lack of love for Guilt Machine, I never really got into Ayreon or Star One but I love that album. I like every song on it except for Over.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2011, 12:53:26 PM »
I guess it's because it felt more like leftover from the last two Ayreon albums but performed by 1 guy so it was a bit boring after a while.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »
I guess it's because it felt more like leftover from the last two Ayreon albums but performed by 1 guy so it was a bit boring after a while.

That's precisely what I thought.  Nothing against Arjen, I think he's extremely talented, but I think the Ayreon material is much stronger in large part because of the variety of guests.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
Got Timeline the other week.  Great compilation at a great price, excellent package.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »

From Arjen's Twitter:

I didn't see a definative answer to this, so here goes (this is from his official website, and is a bit of an old update):

Since finishing the latest Star One album last year (2010), Arjen has been hard at work on his next release: a solo album! It’s been something he’s wanted to do for a long time:

I’ve been wanting to record a solo album with just me singing for about 10 years now. But I always seem to come across singers whom I would like to work with, so my last solo attempts have turned into an Ayreon, Star One and Guilt Machine releases instead! But now the time is right and I feel very inspired!

Arjen is handling the lead vocal duties as well as playing all the guitars, keyboards, and bass. There will be one guest vocalist just for backing vocals, and some guest instrumentalists as well.

What should fans expect with regard to the album’s sound and style? As Arjen puts it:

This is turning out to be quite an eclectic album, with widely varied styles like prog, folk, psychedelica, atmospheric, and a heavy bit here and there. So with all this variation, you could say that this is an album for open minded listeners! As a reaction to the dark feel of my last album, this album will have a more positive, upbeat feel overall. Conceptually it could be compared to a song-oriented Ayreon album (without all the guest singers, of course), as all the songs are linked to a central theme. I’ve just started writing the lyrics, so it’s too early to reveal any details about the concept. I can say however, that it will be a personal album, one from the heart. I haven’t enjoyed myself like this in years!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »
I'm surprised at the lack of love for Guilt Machine, I never really got into Ayreon or Star One but I love that album. I like every song on it except for Over.

Took me a while to warm up to Guilt Machine, but it's really good.  It probably doesn't get the love, for the same reasons that Systematic Chaos doesn't get love.  It's likely at the bottom of the pile of his works, but it's still damn good, and better than the 'best' that most bands could put together.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2011, 08:31:47 PM »
Guilt Machine's debut was my favorite album of 2009, and I still give that a spin at least once every two months.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »
the only thing that bugs me about guilt machine is that green and cream sounds too much like unnatural selection
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
Got Timeline the other week.  Great compilation at a great price, excellent package.

This is the only Arjen release I have and I like it a lot too. I've listened to most, if not all, of the Ayreon material and think 'Timeline' does represent the best parts of each album as best, or at least as close as possible for a compilation like this.

Haven't checked out any of his other material.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
Guilt Machine is a good album, but as my review somewhere on here points out it just sounds too much like 01 b-sides at times.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »

This is the only Arjen release I have and I like it a lot too. I've listened to most, if not all, of the Ayreon material and think 'Timeline' does represent the best parts of each album as best, or at least as close as possible for a compilation like this.

Haven't checked out any of his other material.

IMO, you can't go wrong with anything from Arjen. Get Star One, and enjoy!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Knights

« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »
I only got into Ayreon because of James LaBrie in The Human Equation, then i discovered the rest of Arjen's work, I was amazed to Hear Bruce Dickinson and Russel Allen in a few of his songs :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »
Dickinson's absolute best performance ever is on Into The Black Hole.

Offline Knights

« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »

Agreed. He dosn't realy get to use his vocals with Iron Maiden like he does on Into The Black Hole, which is a real dissapointment.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »
Russel Allen

TWO L's!

TWO FUCKING L's!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ok.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »

I think I have to agree with this.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »

Wrong. Watch Tears of the Dragon on the Tribuzy live DVD. Seriously one of the best vocal performances of anyone on anything ever.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2011, 04:26:22 AM »
I only got into Ayreon because of James LaBrie in The Human Equation, then i discovered the rest of Arjen's work, I was amazed to Hear Bruce Dickinson and Russel Allen in a few of his songs :metal

Then you ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY must get both Star One discs.  Go.  Now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2011, 04:49:33 AM »

Wrong. Watch Tears of the Dragon on the Tribuzy live DVD. Seriously one of the best vocal performances of anyone on anything ever.

I've always wanted to check that DVD out.  You just gave me a good reason to Nick.