Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382994 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)
« Reply #3535 on: September 12, 2023, 10:45:51 AM »
I am so hyped for this to be released.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3536 on: September 12, 2023, 01:00:08 PM »
i've been to both shows, exited for the new one! a friend is going twice on sunday, already told her to bring proper earplugs..

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3537 on: September 12, 2023, 01:20:54 PM »
i've been to both shows, exited for the new one! a friend is going twice on sunday, already told her to bring proper earplugs..

Not a bad advice! I've got to say as I've been to The Theater Equation in 2015, and both Ayreon shows in 2017 and 2019, Arjen's sound isn't loud compared to lots of bands out there. Never needed earplugs at his shows myself (and I do use them a lot), but obviously everyone should decide for themselves!

Hopefully the shows will be great! Given the previous shows I'm sure they'll be fantastic.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3538 on: September 12, 2023, 03:26:44 PM »
I always use earplugs (and I recommend buying good ones). But I found the sound of the Ayreon shows to be bearable without them, depending on position (I always check for a bit).

And yes, the excitement is coming  ;D Also for the inevitable excellent live release next year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3539 on: September 12, 2023, 03:41:39 PM »
We depart from Scotland tomorrow on our honeymoon for Belgium. Then we hop into Tilburg on Thursday and Friday for Ayreon goodness. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3540 on: September 14, 2023, 03:48:01 PM »
Alright folks, dress rehearsal tonight, and while I'm not going to go into too great of detail on anything, going to put some info in small print below for anyone who wants to hear about the shows.

Although stage set is nothing on the scale of Into the Electric Castle when it comes to singular over the top craziness of last times' castle, this time it's a two tiered scaffold with three sections. Top left is Joost, top middle starts as a place for a pair of drums for Michael Mills to play during Comatose and then after that for additional singers. Top right is backing vocals. Bottom left is the cello/violin/flute and other such instruments, bottom middle is an entryway, and bottom right is drums. Behind all of that is giant vertical screens, along with the same at either far side of the stage. That said, along with band and primary singers, other people from those various sections would come forward if playing more lead parts.

01 set itself was magical, with highlights being Britney Slayes stepping in and absolutely crushing it. Everyone else was marvelous with the exception of Gildenlow who absolutely seemed bored and phoning it in compared to everyone else, and Englund who just isn't that great as simply a live lead singer of someone else's music (see: Redemption). Of note, Beneath the Waves was played twice due to some vocal flubs from Englund, and as I knew from talking to Phideux previously, his two lines were actually done via pre-recorded video specifically for the shows.

The encore was This Human Equation, which Simone absolute got into and made stellar, Fate of Man, which again, Brittany fucking killed on, and to end it all, the track I had hoped to hear more than any other in this portion of the set, and for which I was rocking the fuck out, The Day That the World Breaks Down.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3541 on: September 14, 2023, 07:50:40 PM »
I am very excited now. It's great seeing them have dress rehearsals to work on some of the kinks and to see how it plays out.

Since it is just a dress rehearsal show, it could be a reason why Gildenlow wasn't as enthusiastic. I am sure he will be more into it during the actual shows.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3542 on: September 15, 2023, 05:04:44 PM »
just got back.

kinda underwhelming? previous shows in 2017/2019 were WAY better. Sound was shit, couldn't hear some singers.. Daniel Gildenlow was there physically, but mentally on vacation or something? Didn't look like he wanted to be there, no smile or anything..
i would've been jealous if someone got tickets for previous shows, this time around i actually advised a friend to sell 2 of her 3 tickets.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3543 on: September 15, 2023, 05:58:12 PM »
I really loved the show, but it was a bit spotty here and there.

I loved the choice of the final non-01 tracks.

Sound was overall good, but there were definitely some issues with the sound of the vocals here and there. Unfortunately at the end of Sixt Exctinction too. Maybe this was also a bit of a surround thing? I repositioned twice and one time I was close to a speaker that had the backing vocals right next to me, but they overpowered the main vocals.

Anyways, I am going again sunday and very much looking forward to it! I was by no means underwhelmed.

I do not know what Gildenlow normally does on stage, but his voice was one of the highlights for me actually.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3544 on: September 15, 2023, 05:59:51 PM »
Any of you see Nick there?  He and his wife are vacationing in Europe.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3545 on: September 15, 2023, 06:13:36 PM »
Any of you see Nick there?  He and his wife are vacationing in Europe.

I did not meet up with anyone.

I did not plan going on friday originally, the ticket was a recent resale market buy (due to a wedding on Saturday).

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3546 on: September 16, 2023, 01:54:13 PM »
https://youtu.be/-tR0UcxXSOg?t=197

you can hear the backingvocals being way louder. in some songs that meant not hearing the singer you came to hear singing

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3547 on: September 16, 2023, 02:42:10 PM »

you can hear the backingvocals being way louder. in some songs that meant not hearing the singer you came to hear singing

Oh, but I do agree this was very noticable at times.

I thought the sound was overall great (I could hear all the instruments very clearly, even during busy sections). But the vocals were odd at times. For some songs I really don't mind hearing Irene or Marcela louder to be honest, but Hansi was for example inaudible at times. The end section of Sixth Exctinction was also messy because of sound variances between singers. As this was not at all the case in previous shows and pretty much all singers on stage know what they are doing, I feel it has to do with the surround sound.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3548 on: September 16, 2023, 03:01:02 PM »
You can hear this on Ayreon Universe. I always thought that Hansi's vocals were mixed low on Star of Sirrah. So it's really nothing new....

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3549 on: September 16, 2023, 03:26:38 PM »

But also, the backing vocals are part of the main song...Especially this song. I love how I can hear the other vocal melodies being sung besides the lead vocal melody

It's not about only hearing the main vocalist sing, it's also about the other melodies that were being sung by the main vocalist on the album being sung as well and being able to hear them well enough. especially at the end, where Anekke only sings her main melody, while the backing singers do the emphasized "Ahhh Ahh Ahh" vocals.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3550 on: September 16, 2023, 04:11:25 PM »
I just really hope they did We Are Forever in Age of Shadows.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3551 on: September 16, 2023, 04:15:04 PM »
I just really hope they did We Are Forever in Age of Shadows.

Anneke singing in binary is one of my favorite things ever.  It'd be a fun logistical challenging to get it right with the backing vocals covering the other Annekes, but I'd love to see it. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3552 on: September 16, 2023, 04:17:27 PM »
I don't want to spoil but I found this...

Age of Shadows:
https://youtu.be/0Ik7g4ZxyGA?si=AEXgWA8muDR9uCjU

Edit: After watching this, I am so pumped for the live release. It goes back to how we "prog" fans are so critical about things. I would've loved to be there and would've enjoyed the entirety of this. Even if Daniel Gildenlow doesn't seem to express his presence physically, his vocals say a lot more. As a music fan, I listen to these nuances more. And Daniel is there...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 04:33:28 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3553 on: September 16, 2023, 04:43:55 PM »
I wouldn't have expected Russell seeing as he wasn't on the original album.

It looks like the biggest missing names are Jørn and Floor. Just based on the list, it seems probable to me that Brittney will be doing Floor's parts, which should be interesting. I'd guess Cuijpers would be doing Jørn's parts.

This is who I think could be doing these singers Forever lines...

Damien - Jorn
Simone - Floor
Brittney - Floor/Steve Lee/Bob Catley (Arjen could do a switch for all of his lines)
Jaycee - Jorn/Steve Lee
Phiduex - Bob Catley (Seems plausible since he only has like 4 lines in the entire album)
Mike Mills - Steve Lee
Magali Luyten - Bob Catley/Steve Lee (I could see Arjen giving her more lines to sing)

I'm gonna repost this because I got some it correct. I am glad that Brittney got to sing Age of Shadows..... :metal :metal :metal

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3554 on: September 18, 2023, 08:13:46 AM »
plus the day that the world breaks down ;)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3555 on: September 18, 2023, 08:50:17 AM »
Oh my what a show.... was quite close to the stage like 3rd or 4th row and the firebombs were really felt.
Awesome stage, amsome production, awesome band and awesome singers, so amazed with all of them.

Oh, and at the sunday evening show I felt Daniel was really into it....

Here are some official photos from the show...

Enjoy

Can't wait for the BlueRay

https://www.podiuminfo.nl/review/8785/Ayreon-01011001-Live-Beneath-The-Waves-1609-013/?fbclid=IwAR01tVgxYtN0K8mG_dvo924IomUDLvbvxtp99gIkCmcZ6A5vFS9e3J56oGM

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3556 on: September 19, 2023, 10:16:38 AM »
I saw Friday evening and Sunday evening.

Both were great, but I felt Sunday was a significant improvement. Liselotte Hegt was out of key and sounded bad on friday, but she did well on Sunday. And the Sixth Extinction was messy on friday but much tighter on sunday (vocally). Singers overall were much more comfortable and generally performed better. Also no bumping into each other or forgetting lines / messing up timing (even Damian Wilson missed some words and timings on friday). It overall felt more like a team, with them fist bumping, hugging, and giving each other pats on the back. Given how many singers there are on stage constantly switching out, that just made it feel better. The sound was also better, but I was in a different position, making it harder to compare. Still some noticeable and odd vocal volume imbalances, but I think it is just extremely hard to get that right with 20+ singers switching all the damn time (much moreso than any other Ayreon show, within the songs themselves and many singers having very short solo moments).

If I had to rate it, Friday was an 8/10 and Sunday a 9/10. Very glad I went twice.

The only song for me that ultimately did not work as well as I would have liked was the final one, The Day that the World Breaks down. By no means a bad performance though. The rest was spot on. I loved the other two encore performances, Simone and Brittney performed them incredibly well.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3557 on: September 20, 2023, 06:21:28 AM »
a friend who went to 3 shows said Daniel's probably a morning person, considering the difference in attitude on stage between matinee and evening shows  :rollin :rollin

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3558 on: September 20, 2023, 07:25:14 AM »
I have to disagree about The Day That the World Breaks Down, that was the absolute highlight of the show for me.

I will say I saw a definite improvement from Thursday to Friday, so I'm sad I didn't see anything on Saturday or Sunday, but am looking forward to the Blu-Ray for sure. Just absolutely magical concerts once again.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3559 on: September 20, 2023, 08:57:54 AM »
When do you all think we'll see the release of this show?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3560 on: September 20, 2023, 09:45:07 AM »
When do you all think we'll see the release of this show?

Let's look as the previous live Ayreon releases for reference:
The Theater Equation - Nine months after the shows
Released   17 June 2016
Recorded   20 September 2015

Ayreon Universe - About 6.5 months after the shows
Released   March 30, 2018
Recorded   September 15–16, 2017

Electric Castle Live And Other Tales -  Also about 6.5 months after the shows
Released   March 27, 2020
Recorded   September 13–15, 2019

So if I had to guess, Live Beneath The Waves will probably get its live release in late March or early April.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3561 on: September 20, 2023, 09:55:22 AM »
I have to disagree about The Day That the World Breaks Down, that was the absolute highlight of the show for me.

I will say I saw a definite improvement from Thursday to Friday, so I'm sad I didn't see anything on Saturday or Sunday, but am looking forward to the Blu-Ray for sure. Just absolutely magical concerts once again.

On Friday I did not get to see The Day That The World Breaks Down completely and I was already on my way out, unfortunately, so I can only really comment on Sunday evening for this song. Some singers were struggling a bit/out of key and the 01 section did not really work for me. But don't get me wrong, this is overall nitpicking and it was nice seeing it live. But considering the extremely high standard of the songs/performances prior, it was noticable to us.

My highlights were probably Age of Shadows, Liquid Eternity, The Sixth Extinction, This Human Equation, and Fate of Man.

But yeah, awesome time and I am super glad I went Friday as well! (got a second hand ticket as it was on the route for me going from work to family).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3562 on: October 18, 2023, 08:37:26 AM »
My dear Ayreonauts, now that I’ve finally caught my breath after the Ayreon live shows and the smoke has cleared, I want to send a huge and heartfelt thanks once again for your unwavering support! It's astounding that 15,000 of you from over 60 countries made the journey to see us. The whole Ayreon team and I totally recognize how special and unique this is. I know it’s a cliché, but truly, you are the best fans ever. You are what keeps me going.

To those who wanted to come to the shows but couldn't make it happen, we missed you! But there’s a silver lining - we’ve begun working on the live BluRay and CD, and I can assure you, they're going to be fantastic. I’m brimming with pride for all the amazing musicians involved!

And yes, between you and me, we just might already be secretly scheming for... 😊

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=849154510201848&set=a.564027712047864&type=3&mibextid=fgUVKv

I wonder which album he's planning to bring to the stage next?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3563 on: October 18, 2023, 08:47:27 AM »
Theory of Everything

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3564 on: October 18, 2023, 09:15:16 AM »
Some singers were struggling a bit/out of key and the 01 section did not really work for me.

Interesting that he picks a bunch of the best vocalists on the planet and some still have issues.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3565 on: October 18, 2023, 09:19:35 AM »
Don't remember seeing this posted, but this is a cool shot from a show last month.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3566 on: November 13, 2023, 10:59:49 PM »
Surprised that no one shared this earlier today, but Arjen posted on Facebook:

Hi all! This year I’ve been working on a new album… with old songs! I’ll explain. In the early 90s I formed a band with singer Robert Soeterboek called Plan Nine. But those were the days of grunge, so it wasn’t the right time for us. But now, 30 years later, we have re-written and re-recorded 13 songs with the help of lots of great musicians that you all know. And, if I say so myself, it turned out really cool! The album will be called “The Long-Lost Songs” and it will be released early next year by Mascot. Robert will play live with Plan Nine next year. More updates soon! (Oh… sorry for the cheesy photo… hey, that was more than 30 years ago!)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid06JMSTS1KgyDeA4Su17pAkvKAMTumq5kdEswgfTpLWUw3qi1PfFpf6v31oHrcRpjYl&id=100001414727158&mibextid=Nif5oz

The post also tagged several others who may be involved:
Joost van den Broek
Élan López
Cleem Determeijer
Koen Herfst
Peter Vink
Rob van der Loo
Marcel Singor
Irene Jansen
Lori A. Linstruth

Not sure what to expect from this but I'll give it a chance.

-Marc.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3567 on: November 14, 2023, 02:15:09 AM »
Hmm, not sure what to think of it but I will definitely check it out.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3568 on: November 14, 2023, 06:38:42 AM »
I was unhappy with Soeterboek to me unsuccessfully duplicating Swano's parts on Star One's Live On Earth, but in his own project it could be cool.  I'd love for Singor to play leads on the whole album and not just guest on a single track, but I guess we'll see. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3569 on: January 23, 2024, 09:42:54 AM »
From Arjen's FB on the upcoming Plan Nine project:

My dear friends, tomorrow Wednesday we'll release the first track from my new (old) project Lucassen & Soeterboek’s Plan Nine, “Before the Morning Comes”. The official video premieres at 12-noon CET, hope to see you there! Robert and I will be in the chat, so be nice to us 😊

-Marc.