Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 380925 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)
« Reply #3395 on: September 29, 2022, 08:33:36 AM »
https://fb.watch/fRpvMb0Nn3/

Arjen just teased a live performance of 01011001 next year, September 15, 16, and 17, presumably at the 013 in Tilburg.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3396 on: September 29, 2022, 08:35:42 AM »
UGH THAT SOUNDS COOL!

Glad I was able to see the last show he did, but doubtful I can make this one, But who knows?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3397 on: September 29, 2022, 09:09:10 AM »
Awesome, all of the Ayreon live shows have been amazing. Hopefully I will be able to go/get tickets.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3398 on: September 29, 2022, 10:29:13 AM »
Only seen the Electric Castle and Other Stories live in Tillburg. Wish I had seen the two others.

Hopefully I can get tickets and fly down for this.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3399 on: September 29, 2022, 10:53:52 AM »
Just realized it'll be the 15th anniversary of 01011001 is next January, so it'll be a good time to perform the album next year!

Also, other than Arjen, do you think he'll be able to get the other 16 vocalists for the shows? It's a big cast, so I'll be interested to see if he'll get (m)any of them back.

I guess this means we won't see any new studio material from Arjen next year since he'll probably be too busy organizing and rehearsing for the 01 shows next fall.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

« Reply #3400 on: September 29, 2022, 10:55:32 AM »
Just realized it'll be the 15th anniversary of 01011001 is next January, so it'll be a good time to perform the album next year!

Also, other than Arjen, do you think he'll be able to get the other 16 vocalists for the shows? It's a big cast, so I'll be interested to see if he'll get (m)any of them back.

I guess this means we won't see any new studio material from Arjen next year since he'll probably be too busy organizing and rehearsing for the 01 shows next fall.

-Marc.

No way he gets Daniel Gildenlow or Jorn Lande. Not sure about the rest. A lot of them seem likely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3401 on: September 29, 2022, 11:04:51 AM »
01011001 is one of - if not THE - favorite Ayreon album (and I'm a big fan).  I don't know how I do it, but I'd love to see that show.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3402 on: September 29, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »
Does this mean we'll get full versions of the songs from Ayreon Universe. Age of Shadows including We Are Forever, and the full versions of Comatose and Waking Dreams.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3403 on: September 29, 2022, 02:28:39 PM »
01011001 is one of - if not THE - favorite Ayreon album . . . .

No, THE is a different album entirely.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3404 on: September 29, 2022, 04:08:18 PM »
Does this mean we'll get full versions of the songs from Ayreon Universe. Age of Shadows including We Are Forever, and the full versions of Comatose and Waking Dreams.

I really missed the second halves of "Age of Shadows" and "Waking Dreams" on Ayreon Universe.  Anneke singing in binary was one of my favorite moments of the album.  Surely they had enough personnel to mimic it live.  And Tomas Bodin may be an idiosyncratic keyboard player, but undoubtedly Joost has the chops to at least somewhat do his solo justice.  Those sort of half-medleys are a little vexing.  Normally in a medley you're only getting a taste of a song, but once you're doing several minutes of it you might as well finish it. 

One of the sleeper hits for me from the album "E=MC^2" had a really cool alternate acoustic-ish release party version. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAgaqCKT4pw

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3405 on: September 29, 2022, 04:15:34 PM »

-Marc.

No way he gets Daniel Gildenlow or Jorn Lande. Not sure about the rest. A lot of them seem likely.

Daniel Gildenlow I understand, but why not Jorn Lande? He seems to regularly guest and collaborate on things.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Adami

« Reply #3406 on: September 29, 2022, 06:34:54 PM »

-Marc.

Daniel Gildenlow I understand, but why not Jorn Lande? He seems to regularly guest and collaborate on things.

I just assume since he didn't come to the first Ayreon show where he had a number of songs I believe.

I guess it's possible, but I also think his ego's so big that being part of a large ensemble on stage might feel beneath him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3407 on: September 29, 2022, 07:59:20 PM »

-Marc.

I just assume since he didn't come to the first Ayreon show where he had a number of songs I believe.

I guess it's possible, but I also think his ego's so big that being part of a large ensemble on stage might feel beneath him.

Definitely doubtful on the second part since he's toured with Avantasia.

First part, yeah, that makes a bit of sense. But it's always possible that either Arjen didn't feel he was needed for that, or the timing legitimately didn't work for him.

I'm not saying he will definitely be there, but I'm certainly not ruling him out.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3408 on: September 29, 2022, 08:01:48 PM »
Bummer that he obviously doesn't want to the Migrator albums in full, as those combined is way better than 1001100011110001111111, but it is what it is.  I like the album quite a bit, but not sure it's "I am ready to fly to the Netherlands" good.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3409 on: September 29, 2022, 08:33:04 PM »
I've been trying to resolve a whimsical chicken or egg dilemma.  The level of vocal talent in the Netherlands is off the charts.  Is that because Arjen is there and cultivates it, or did the talent already exist and Arjen was just magnetically pulled to it? 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3410 on: September 29, 2022, 08:43:29 PM »
01011001 is one of - if not THE - favorite Ayreon album (and I'm a big fan).  I don't know how I do it, but I'd love to see that show.

Seconded.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3411 on: September 29, 2022, 10:10:08 PM »
Bummer that he obviously doesn't want to the Migrator albums in full, as those combined is way better than 1001100011110001111111, but it is what it is.  I like the album quite a bit, but not sure it's "I am ready to fly to the Netherlands" good.

For better or worse Arjen is very connected to his fans and really knows how they gauge his work. He's spoken many times on how the Migrator albums were relative flops, and so I doubt he'll ever do those until a lot of other options are pursued. Sucky as this is for you in this situation, it also keeps him from, let's say, performing the most recent Ayreon album in full.

If the assumption of 01 in full is correct, I wonder what is done with any remaining concert time. I really hope a small set of Star One material, focusing on the new album and the criminally neglected second Star One album through the first two live shows.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3412 on: September 29, 2022, 10:34:59 PM »

For better or worse Arjen is very connected to his fans and really knows how they gauge his work. He's spoken many times on how the Migrator albums were relative flops, and so I doubt he'll ever do those until a lot of other options are pursued. Sucky as this is for you in this situation, it also keeps him from, let's say, performing the most recent Ayreon album in full.

If the assumption of 01 in full is correct, I wonder what is done with any remaining concert time. I really hope a small set of Star One material, focusing on the new album and the criminally neglected second Star One album through the first two live shows.

I think it largely depends on the vocal talent he can recruit for the shows.

Bob Catley
Tom S. Englund
Anneke van Giersbergen
Daniel Gildenlöw
Floor Jansen
Hansi Kürsch
Jørn Lande
Steve Lee
Magali Luyten
Jonas Renkse
Liselotte Hegt
Simone Simons
Ty Tabor
Marjan Welman
Wudstik
Phideaux Xavier

There are a few who are regular collaborators with Arjen on other albums, so he could definitely ask them to sing other songs after 01011001. Just glancing at this Wiki chart, seems like they could do some songs from The Source, and it'd be neat to get a song or two from Transitus with Simone there.

01011001 is about the same length as ITEC, as far as the studio albums go, and ITEC was expanded in some sections for the live shows, and they still added about an extra 40 minutes of music after ITEC, so I suspect we may see the same for the 01 shows next fall. If we're lucky, he may toss in one or two Star One songs since Floor will likely be there. Otherwise, I don't see him doing what he did at the ITEC shows and do "one song per side project" like he did in that last set, covering Gentle Storm, Ambeon, Stream Of Passion, and Guilt Machine.

-Marc.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3413 on: September 30, 2022, 12:28:19 AM »
Otherwise, I don't see him doing what he did at the ITEC shows and do "one song per side project" like he did in that last set, covering Gentle Storm, Ambeon, Stream Of Passion, and Guilt Machine.

-Marc.

There was also a Star One song, an Arjen Lucassen solo song plus he let Fish do Kayleigh.

Frickin awesome concert that was....

The biggest surprise was when they rolled in the White Grandd Piano and Robbie Valentine entered....

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3414 on: September 30, 2022, 12:43:53 AM »
Otherwise, I don't see him doing what he did at the ITEC shows and do "one song per side project" like he did in that last set, covering Gentle Storm, Ambeon, Stream Of Passion, and Guilt Machine.

-Marc.

There was also a Star One song, an Arjen Lucassen solo song plus he let Fish do Kayleigh.

Frickin awesome concert that was....

The biggest surprise was when they rolled in the White Grandd Piano and Robbie Valentine entered....

It was more like Arjen and Joost "forced" Fish to do Kayleigh.  :lol

It would be really cool if Arjen played a couple of his solo songs as a way to sort of tie in Mr. L.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3415 on: September 30, 2022, 01:00:16 AM »
Would love to hear some more songs from Lost in the New Real....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3416 on: September 30, 2022, 06:25:25 AM »

Oh yeah, I totally get it.  If you are going to get people to travel that far, you need to play the ones you know the fanbase as a whole is nuts about it.  I am still kicking myself for not going years ago for the ...Electric Castle performances.  :lol :facepalm:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3417 on: September 30, 2022, 06:52:48 AM »
I just hope he will pick some other songs for the non-01 finale (assuming that will be the case). Castle Hall has been played on 4 live releases, for example. I don't mind hearing it again, but if I had a choice I would love to hear some picks from other albums. I would not mind a Revel in Time song either.

Anyways, some of my most wanted live songs that haven't seen any live release will be played, as those songs are on 01. Expecially the extinction songs.

Would love to hear some more songs from Lost in the New Real....

I agree, with the recent vinyl rerelease I have been spinning it often.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3418 on: September 30, 2022, 12:46:27 PM »
So, what's the deal with Guilt Machine?  I stumbled across it because Spotify recommended a song, and I didn't even realize it was an Arjen project.  I had never heard of it previously.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3419 on: September 30, 2022, 12:55:20 PM »
It's just another Arjen solo project, but with a single vocalist instead of a large cast.  Although closer to a pared-back version of his normal sound than say, Ambeon, or even The Gentle Storm. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3420 on: September 30, 2022, 05:20:20 PM »
I think one major distinction of Guilt Machine is that Lori wrote the lyrics and that the tone of the album is not campy scifi or anything like that.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3421 on: October 01, 2022, 01:01:55 AM »
I really like Guilt Machine, it's a little bit different while still clearly Arjen.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3422 on: October 02, 2022, 10:20:37 PM »
It was the first Arjen project I ever hear, and I love the heck out of it. Was always sad we didn't get a second one.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Adami

« Reply #3423 on: October 03, 2022, 06:02:52 AM »
It’s a bit samey as it goes, but the songs alone are pretty fantastic and I always enjoy them when they come up on shuffle.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3424 on: October 03, 2022, 11:49:51 AM »
I think one major distinction of Guilt Machine is that Lori wrote the lyrics and that the tone of the album is not campy scifi or anything like that.

That explains a lot.  On first listen, the lyrics really didn't sound Arjen-ish.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3425 on: October 06, 2022, 07:18:34 AM »
Per a Dutch article, we're looking at October 27 for tickets on sale.

Live Beneath the Waves is the title, 01 in full plus extras never played live in the previous Ayreon concerts.

10 piece band and about 20 singers.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Areola

« Reply #3427 on: October 14, 2022, 10:11:44 AM »
I think I might want to go this time. How much have the tickets cost for the concerts?

Online Adami

« Reply #3428 on: October 14, 2022, 10:12:49 AM »
I would be so pumped to go, but given where I hope my life will be around then, I doubt it'll be possible.  :-[

Buying the blu ray day one though!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #3429 on: October 14, 2022, 11:22:06 AM »
i went to both previous shows and it's about 60,- euro