Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 376182 times)

Offline majo

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)
« Reply #3360 on: February 20, 2022, 02:03:55 PM »
I personally consider it another solid Ayreon album after the rather disappointing Transitus...  :metal
7/10
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3361 on: February 21, 2022, 09:51:26 PM »
For me this is The Universal Migrator Part III: Revel In Time.  It's a hybrid album, without the structural cast cohesion of the first two Star One releases, or the sprawling grandiosity of the later Ayreon albums.  I like it fine enough.  It's unlikely to rise to the level of the debut, which is one of my favorite albums of all time, but VotMA took quite a few listens to really click for me, so it might be a bit more like it eventually.  The second disc is going to be fun to experiment with swapping out versions of songs to create an "ultimate edition".  If nothing else I wish we could have gotten at least one "classic" Star One tune with all four original vocalists working together, since they did all wind up contributing to the project separately.  Even if Arjen clearly had a different vision for the project than myself and others of us, that's the one missed opportunity I most wish could have been seized.  As a Nightingale (Dan Swano) song goes, "I wish I could stay in wonderland and relive the glory days."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 09:59:16 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3362 on: February 22, 2022, 11:15:32 AM »
It's hilarious reading these comments here and then reading Star Ones History on Wikipedia and what Arjen mentions about making a second Star One and then the third. .

I feel what he wanted to do with this Star One album is create characters that fit the sci-fi movies the songs are influenced by. I really think he had planned for it to be just the usual Star One album, but then his ideas grew, and grew and it morphed into Revel in Time. And he couldn't do anything about it because it was already planned as a Star One album. I also think that the pandemic had that impact on this album as Arjen was left to be at home.  :biggrin:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3363 on: February 22, 2022, 03:21:36 PM »
It's not a bad album on first listen.

The first few tracks definitely sound like Star One before it goes full Ayreon. Also on 2/3 or maybe just half the album, the writing is just....bland? Forgetable? I dunno.

I can enjoy some of these songs when I'm listening but then don't remember anything that happened. The writing just seems a bit weak on this one.

Also need to check out more of the alternative versions. The first two were just too identical, and I was hoping the vocalists would take slightly different approaches. Maybe the others have more to offer with that.

Also is there a list somewhere of who is on which song?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #3364 on: February 22, 2022, 05:47:22 PM »
It's listed on the CD case. Here it is:

CD 1:
1. Fate of Man – Vocals: Brittney Slayes; Guitar solo: Michael Romeo
2. 28 Days (Till the End of Time) – Vocals: Russell Allen; Guitar solos: Timo Somers
3. Prescient – Vocals: Michael Mills and Ross Jennings
4. Back from the Past – Vocals: Jeff Scott Soto; Guitar solo: Ron Bumblefoot Thal
5. Revel in Time – Vocals: Brandon Yeagley; Guitar solos: Adrian Vandenberg
6. The Year of '41 – Vocals: Joe Lynn Turner; Vocalization: Will Shaw; Guitar solo: Joel Hoekstra; Synth solo: Jens Johansson
7. Bridge of Life – Vocals: Damian Wilson
8. Today is Yesterday – Vocals: Dan Swanφ; Moog: Lisa Bella Donna; Guitar solo: Marcel Singer
9. A Hand on the Clock – Vocals: Floor Jansen; Hammond solo: Joost van den Broek
10. Beyond the Edge of it All – Vocals: John Jaycee Cuijpers; Guitar solo: Arjen
11. Lost Children of the Universe – Vocals: Roy Khan; Choir: Hellscore Choir; Guitar solo: Steve Vai

CD 2:
1. Fate of Man – Vocals: Marcela Bovio
2. 28 Days (Till the End of Time) – Vocals: John Jaycee Cuijpers
3. Prescient – Vocals: Will Shaw
4. Back from the Past – Vocals: John Jaycee Cuijpers
5. Revel in Time – Vocals: John Jaycee Cuijpers
6. The Year of '41 – Vocals and synth solo: Alessandro Del Vecchio
7. Bridge of Life – Vocals: Wilmer Waarbroek
8. Today is Yesterday – Vocals: Arjen
9. A Hand on the Clock – Vocals: Marcela Bovio and Irene Jansen (so, interestingly, we hear Irene and Floor sing the same song)
10. Beyond the Edge of it All – Vocals: Mike Andersson
11. Lost Children of the Universe – Vocals: Tony Martin
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Adami

« Reply #3365 on: February 22, 2022, 05:52:42 PM »
It's listed on the CD case. Here it is:

CD 1:
1. Fate of Man – Vocals: Brittney Slayes; Guitar solo: Michael Romeo
2. 28 Days (Till the End of Time) – Vocals: Russell Allen; Guitar solos: Timo Somers
3. Prescient – Vocals: Michael Mills and Ross Jennings
4. Back from the Past – Vocals: Jeff Scott Soto; Guitar solo: Ron Bumblefoot Thal
5. Revel in Time – Vocals: Brandon Yeagley; Guitar solos: Adrian Vandenberg
6. The Year of '41 – Vocals: Joe Lynn Turner; Vocalization: Will Shaw; Guitar solo: Joel Hoekstra; Synth solo: Jens Johansson
7. Bridge of Life – Vocals: Damian Wilson
8. Today is Yesterday – Vocals: Dan Swanφ; Moog: Lisa Bella Donna; Guitar solo: Marcel Singer
9. A Hand on the Clock – Vocals: Floor Jansen; Hammond solo: Joost van den Broek
10. Beyond the Edge of it All – Vocals: John Jaycee Cuijpers; Guitar solo: Arjen
11. Lost Children of the Universe – Vocals: Roy Khan; Choir: Hellscore Choir; Guitar solo: Steve Vai

CD 2:
1. Fate of Man – Vocals: Marcela Bovio
2. 28 Days (Till the End of Time) – Vocals: John Jaycee Cuijpers
3. Prescient – Vocals: Will Shaw
4. Back from the Past – Vocals: John Jaycee Cuijpers
5. Revel in Time – Vocals: John Jaycee Cuijpers
6. The Year of '41 – Vocals and synth solo: Alessandro Del Vecchio
7. Bridge of Life – Vocals: Wilmer Waarbroek
8. Today is Yesterday – Vocals: Arjen
9. A Hand on the Clock – Vocals: Marcela Bovio and Irene Jansen (so, interestingly, we hear Irene and Floor sing the same song)
10. Beyond the Edge of it All – Vocals: Mike Andersson
11. Lost Children of the Universe – Vocals: Tony Martin

Thanks!

I don't buy CD's anymore (I know this is grounds for a permaban around here) and the info isn't on my Itunes download that I can see.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #3366 on: February 22, 2022, 05:54:22 PM »
Woah, that was Marcela on Fate of Man alt take?

Damn! Didn't know she had that in her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3367 on: February 22, 2022, 07:53:42 PM »

The first few tracks definitely sound like Star One before it goes full Ayreon.

What to you is "full Ayreon"?  We probably conceptualize what Ayreon is quite differently.  It never has the interaction of numerous vocalists or the folk instrumentation, which I consider key requirements (at least for the past couple decades + ITEC). 

Online Adami

« Reply #3368 on: February 22, 2022, 08:38:55 PM »

What to you is "full Ayreon"?  We probably conceptualize what Ayreon is quite differently.  It never has the interaction of numerous vocalists or the folk instrumentation, which I consider key requirements (at least for the past couple decades + ITEC).

You’re right. Not “full” Ayreon. Maybe a mix between the two but leaning more toward Ayreon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3369 on: February 23, 2022, 03:37:05 AM »
A few listens in and I'm enjoying the new one quite a lot. I don't think it has quite the charm and richness of vocal melodies/harmonies as Space Metal, but I'm definitely liking it more than Victims which was decent but a bit lacking in good hooks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3370 on: February 23, 2022, 04:04:43 AM »

See bolded, the first two Star One had a lot of interaction of the vocal cast in the songs. The new one doesn't have it, it's mostly the main singer and some background vocals. So for me it's more like Flight Of The Migrator and less Space Metal/Victims Of The Modern Age.

That said, I quite enjoyed the first two listens.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3371 on: February 23, 2022, 09:41:17 AM »
A few listens in and I'm enjoying the new one quite a lot. I don't think it has quite the charm and richness of vocal melodies/harmonies as Space Metal, but I'm definitely liking it more than Victims which was decent but a bit lacking in good hooks.

Arjen himself held Space Metal highly and when he was asked about making another Star One. He said he doesn't like sequels because they're not as good as the first release and he feels the sequel won't live up to Space Metal.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline majo

« Reply #3372 on: February 24, 2022, 12:06:25 PM »
I'd also like to add that Jaycee is one hell of a vocalist  :metal
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 12:14:24 PM by majo »
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3373 on: February 24, 2022, 01:04:18 PM »
My earbook came in from LaserCD earlier today, but I was heading out to work just after the mail came by, so I haven't had a chance to open it yet. I have heard a bit of the album already though, but admittedly, I've not been in a metal-mood lately so it might not strike my fancy, but I enjoyed what I've heard so far!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3374 on: March 01, 2022, 04:20:02 AM »
Revel in Time charted at 1 in The Netherlands. Ayreon has been doing that, Star One charting similarly is great.

What is not so great is that the Star One rereleases have release dates in march and april, which sucks as I will get my physical copies in april. I would've preferred it the other way around (rereleases in december and january).

I'd also like to add that Jaycee is one hell of a vocalist  :metal

He really is, glad he got a main spot and that we have his guide vocal takes for three songs.

Offline 425

« Reply #3375 on: March 01, 2022, 06:00:54 PM »
I have to say, it's wonderful just to hear Roy Khan sing in the year 2022. He clearly doesn't have the range he used to, but he still brings it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3376 on: March 03, 2022, 12:10:09 PM »
A Conversation with Arjen Anthony Lucassen (Ayreon/Star One) | The Daily Doug (Episode 347)

Only watched a couple of minutes but they have a cool chemistry.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3377 on: March 03, 2022, 03:35:29 PM »
I made a "Best Of Star One" mix CD:
Set Your Controls
Songs Of The Ocean
Spaced Out
Digital Rain
It's Alive, She's Alive, We're Alive
Fate Of Man
Today Is Yesterday
The Year Of 41

I could have added more, but this is a pretty solid 45 mins.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3378 on: April 04, 2022, 08:12:07 AM »
From Arjen earlier this morning:

Thank you all so much for your kind birthday wishes, much appreciated! 62 years, damn…

Anyway, I’m busy remixing the Universal Migrator albums right now (for a re-release in September) and it’s sounding so much better than the original! I’m also hatching a cunning plan for a new band: ‘Arjen Lucassen Federation’. More soon!

Sounds like a new project is coming!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #3379 on: April 04, 2022, 10:01:20 AM »
And this new band will sound like nothing he's done before  ;D

Kidding aside, it's good to see him still busy and passionate about his music.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #3380 on: April 08, 2022, 02:02:12 AM »
So what's the final verdict on Star Three?

I myself am torn. It is a very good record, but it's also a lost opportunitiy to be so much more.

The music is really good and has a very definite Star One feel to it, it's not as Ayreon-like as I feared after hearing some snippets.

The cast of singers and musicians is really good.

But, what I liked about the first and second Star One was the steady cast for all of the songs. Lucassen got again all of them and he's not even using them in at least one song together? That's a shame. I miss those interactions of singers in the songs, apart from Prescient none of those songs has multiple singers (well, apart from the background singers obviously).

Then there's the second disc with the same songs but different singers. Okay, this is a nice addition but, as all of them are more or less powerhouse vocalists, and the songs are otherwise absolutely the same, there's not much that makes the alternate versions stand out to me.

If Lucassen had made the first disc with the original cast (Wilson, Allan, Swano, Jansen) that would make it a real Star One record and then have the second disc with different singers and for me, that would have been a big improvement.

So, all in all, I really like it, but it could have been better.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3381 on: April 08, 2022, 04:49:24 AM »
I think I've spun it 3x.  Like it each time, but I'm kinda on the fence like you are Kwiji.  There's a certain je ne sais quoi missing about this, and I think it's because it's more Ayreon-ish in terms of the vocals strategy.  And I just never have the inclination to listen to the 2nd disc just to hear a different voice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3382 on: April 08, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »
I think it is great. For all intents and purposes it is a single disc album like the other ones. Having the second disc is a nice bonus, but in all cases but one I prefer the first disc (Hand on the Clock with Irene and Marcela wins of the Floor version for me, but obviously Floor is great as well).

I do, however, agree the album could've been a bit more special if he made some of the singers a bit more mainstay throughout the album. For example, the presence of Tobias on Avantasia songs tie the songs on those albums together (though I do think he sings too much).

Arjen has stated in interviews the whole covid-19 situation was what set him on the path of having a lot of different singers due to limited oppertunities to get people together, or something.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3383 on: April 08, 2022, 07:56:21 AM »
The last two or three Arjen albums (including Star One) have been a huge disappointment. I was really looking forward to Star One but the album never clicked. I think part of the issue its that he has become very formulaic, kind of like Neal Morse.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3384 on: April 08, 2022, 11:19:06 AM »
I enjoy it. I also like how Arjen intends his projects to be a certain way, but as they progress, they have a life of their own and end up becoming not what he had intended. I just like how he lets them become what they want to be, rather than forcing something that isn't.

I do think it would've been better to just get both vocalists from both discs to sing on the song together, like how he did with Roy Kahn and Tony Martin in that music video, which is the only way we get to hear both singers in one song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3385 on: April 08, 2022, 12:18:44 PM »
I enjoy it. I also like how Arjen intends his projects to be a certain way, but as they progress, they have a life of their own and end up becoming not what he had intended. I just like how he lets them become what they want to be, rather than forcing something that isn't.

I do think it would've been better to just get both vocalists from both discs to sing on the song together, like how he did with Roy Kahn and Tony Martin in that music video, which is the only way we get to hear both singers in one song.

Isn't that what art is? Following your muse?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3386 on: April 08, 2022, 12:44:47 PM »

Isn't that what art is? Following your muse?

I would say so. In this case, Star Three wanted to be an album with a lot of vocalists.

This also makes me very interested in what Arjen Lucassen Federation is going to be. I once messaged him Star One reminds me of the Star Trek crew, and with Star Three it's like he is making The Next Generation crew with all the vocalists, including the older crew members. I would laugh if he thought about that comparison more and it grew into Arjen Lucassen Federation.  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3387 on: April 08, 2022, 12:50:16 PM »
I came back to Star Three last night. I really dig it, and love the lineup of vocalists. Still think it could have easily been an Ayreon album in the way it was structured.

At the end of the day, it's probably 3rd in my ranking, but it's going against pretty steep competition, so that's not a hit on it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3388 on: April 08, 2022, 09:23:27 PM »
There's a certain je ne sais quoi missing about this, and I think it's because it's more Ayreon-ish in terms of the vocals strategy.

Really only early Ayreon, namely TFE and the TUM pair with the different singer per track formula.  Everything since then has been the exact opposite, with the rotating cast playing off of each other.  I guess it just feels like being a cheated a bit.  We're used to various vocalists making one-off guest appearances on a track from some other artist, but it's really only Ayreon and derivative projects where you get to hear so many at once working together, and the Allen/Wilson/Jansen/Swano pairing was absolute perfect vocal casting. 

Honestly the last album I was obsessed with was 01011001.  Star Two grew on me over time, but never to the level of the debut.  I could see myself continuing to have The Source grow on me over time, and this one too, but Transitus and The Theory of Everything, while having things I enjoy about them, felt like misfires compared to his earlier work. 

Fortunately, his live DVDs have been spectacular.  Ayreon Universe in particular is practically a spiritual experience, seeing all the individual performers come together at the end of "The Eye of Ra", where I have so much individual history with the majority of the performers on the stage.  It's the prog/metal nerd version of Infinity War/Endgame.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:31:49 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3389 on: June 24, 2022, 09:33:18 AM »
I completely missed this but Lost in the New Real is getting a vinyl reissue:

https://www.arjenlucassen.com/content/lost-in-the-new-real-reissue-2022/

I almost paid waaay to much for one of the former releases, so I am glad there is a small label reprint for this one (seems like it is a niche Finnish label).

It is actually one of my favourite Arjen records, I listen to it often.

Still into Star Three btw, I think it is a very good middle tier Arjen album (the only album I don't enjoy is Actual Fantasy and perhaps one of his pre-Ayreon solo works).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3390 on: September 07, 2022, 06:09:02 AM »
The remixes of the Migrator albums are up for pre-order:
https://www.mascotlabelgroup.com/collections/ayreon

And there is a lyric vid to the remix of Into The Black Hole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Rdj6Me2dE

The remixes have some different solo's and vocal takes here and there apparently. And there will be a 5.1 mix. There is also a bonus CD with some guide vocal takes and alternate stuff he dusted up from back in the day. The cover art is the original art, but it seems he has commissioned new art for this release and there is also a comic book telling the story.

The remix of Into The Black Hole sounds good to me, but I also have no problems with the original mix. I ordered the box and earbook, as I am a sucker for those things. Hopefully I can enjoy the 5.1 mix in the future when I finally can get a 5.1 set and have space for it. There is also a specifically mentioned binaural headphone mix, I wonder how much that will differ from the stereo. Could be interesting.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3391 on: September 07, 2022, 09:19:24 AM »
Ordered the 6-disc earbook. For one reason or another I never got the 20th Anniversary release of ITEC, so I'm not gonna miss out on this one. I've always enjoyed these albums so I'm looking forward to hearing how this updated version compares! Arjen seems very enthusiastic about it!

-Marc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3392 on: September 07, 2022, 09:54:30 AM »
Ordered the 6-disc earbook. For one reason or another I never got the 20th Anniversary release of ITEC, so I'm not gonna miss out on this one. I've always enjoyed these albums so I'm looking forward to hearing how this updated version compares! Arjen seems very enthusiastic about it!

-Marc.

The earbook of that is still in stock on an older merch page for original MSRP in case you still want it https://www.merchandise.nu/collections/ayreon

(I actually ordered it there when I stumbled upon his own merch page while seeking for Star One)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3393 on: September 07, 2022, 01:06:13 PM »

-Marc.

The earbook of that is still in stock on an older merch page for original MSRP in case you still want it https://www.merchandise.nu/collections/ayreon

(I actually ordered it there when I stumbled upon his own merch page while seeking for Star One)

Whoa, thanks for the heads up! $77 after taxes and shipping, which isn't bad, especially for getting it brand new!

-Marc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3394 on: September 07, 2022, 02:09:40 PM »

-Marc.

Whoa, thanks for the heads up! $77 after taxes and shipping, which isn't bad, especially for getting it brand new!

-Marc.

No prob. I was surprised when I stumbled upon it, because the earbook over here goes for scalper prices at other places. And this also should come with the reprinted DVD added, mine did (the original DVD had a couple of issues I believe).