Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 380678 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)
« Reply #3325 on: January 03, 2022, 07:12:52 AM »
John Jaycee Cuijpers and Russell Allen? That is interesting.

Indeed.  There are certainly a few Allen 'soundalikes' out there, but this sure as shit sounds like the man himself.  If so, then I'm even more confused why Arjen didn't just keep it as a traditional Star One lineup??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3326 on: January 03, 2022, 07:26:43 AM »
I assume the original singers sing on the first disc, aka the album proper. And I assume John sings on the second disc, aka the "guide vocal disc" (as I believe Arjen called it?).

As for why, probably because Arjen felt like making this record this way? He could have easily done a band approach but that is not what he did.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3327 on: January 03, 2022, 08:17:25 AM »
He just went the Ayreon route with Star One :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3328 on: January 03, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »
Yessss, ooh how I missed those long screams by Allen!  :heart
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3329 on: January 03, 2022, 09:47:13 AM »
I just went back through the Ayreon facebook page and compiled the list of guests he's revealed so far. I believe he's done with vocalists  and keyboardists, but there might be a couple more instrumental guests left to reveal, but here's what he's revealed so far (in reverse order with the latest first):

Guest Vocalists:
Russell Allen (Symphony X) (NOT confirmed but most likely)
John Jaycee Cuijpers
Wilmer Waarbroek (Ayreon)
Brandon Yeagley (Crobot)
Damian Wilson
Dan Swano
Michael Mills (Toehider)
Ross Jennings (Haken)
Will Shaw (Heir Apparent)
Jeff Scott Soto (Sons Of Apollo/Malmsteen/Journey)
Allesandro Del Vecchio
Mike Andersson (Tungsten)
Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow/Deep Purple)
Brittney Slayes (Unleash The Archers)
Marcela Bovio
Tony Martin (Black Sabbath)
Irene Jansen
Roy Khan
Floor Jansen

Guest Instrumentalists:
Jens Johansson (Keyboard, Rainbow/Yngwie/Stratovarius)
Arjen Lucassen (Guitar, some random stuff)
Joost van den Broek (Keyboard, Ayreon)
Joel Hoekstra (Guitar, Whitesnake/Cher/TSO)
Marcel Singor (Guitar, Kayak)
Allesandro Del Vecchio (Keyboard)
Adrian Vandenberg (Guitar, Whitesnake)
Ron Bumblefoot Thal (Guitar, Sons Of Apollo, Guns N' Roses)
Lisa Bella Donna (Moog Synthesizers)
Michael Romeo (Guitar, Symphony X)
Timo Somers (Guitar, ex-Delain)
Steve Vai (Guitar)

A WHOOPING nineteen guest vocalists, over the course of 11 songs (well, 22 since there are two versions of each song). This is definitely a star-studded album, but I'm hoping it'll stand up on its own and be a strong one. I've only listened to the first single, so I'm probably gonna leave the rest of it as a surprise until I get my artbook in.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3330 on: January 03, 2022, 11:30:02 AM »
So there's a new Ayreon coming?  Do we know when?

Also, I went to the Star One march store and it looks like the 2CD version is sold out; I'm assuming that's just the signed pre-order version, and I'll be able to buy the "standard" (that is, unsigned) version after release? 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3331 on: January 03, 2022, 03:51:51 PM »
I just went back through the Ayreon facebook page and compiled the list of guests he's revealed so far. I believe he's done with vocalists  and keyboardists, but there might be a couple more instrumental guests left to reveal, but here's what he's revealed so far (in reverse order with the latest first):

Guest Vocalists:
Russell Allen (Symphony X) (NOT confirmed but most likely)
John Jaycee Cuijpers
Brandon Yeagley (Crobot)
Damian Wilson
Dan Swano
Michael Mills (Toehider)
Ross Jennings (Haken)
Allesandro Del Vecchio
Marcela Bovio
Irene Jansen
Roy Khan
Floor Jansen

Guest Instrumentalists:
Steve Vai (Guitar)

A WHOOPING nineteen guest vocalists, over the course of 11 songs (well, 22 since there are two versions of each song). This is definitely a star-studded album, but I'm hoping it'll stand up on its own and be a strong one. I've only listened to the first single, so I'm probably gonna leave the rest of it as a surprise until I get my artbook in.

-Marc.

I wonder who are the people on the main disc. I assume Floor, Russel, Damian, Dan, Brittney, Ross, Brandon, Roy, Joe and...?

Also, two of the reveals reffered to Dino Jelusik, another singer, (see video of Jeff Scott Soto), is he on this as well?

So there's a new Ayreon coming?  Do we know when?

Also, I went to the Star One march store and it looks like the 2CD version is sold out; I'm assuming that's just the signed pre-order version, and I'll be able to buy the "standard" (that is, unsigned) version after release?

Over here you can preorder the album in most dedicated music stores already, as well as the site of the label. The preorders were only for signed copies, yes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3332 on: January 04, 2022, 06:56:44 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3333 on: January 04, 2022, 08:29:39 AM »
Glad they buried the hatchet.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3334 on: January 04, 2022, 01:50:08 PM »
That was a fantastic reveal video. Water Cannons for the win.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3335 on: January 06, 2022, 02:02:16 PM »
Guest Vocalists:
Arjen Lucassen (Who?)
Russell Allen (Symphony X)
John Jaycee Cuijpers
Brandon Yeagley (Crobot)
Damian Wilson
Dan Swano
Michael Mills (Toehider)
Ross Jennings (Haken)
Allesandro Del Vecchio
Marcela Bovio
Irene Jansen
Roy Khan
Floor Jansen

Guest Instrumentalists:
Steve Vai (Guitar)

Updated with the final Guessing Game vocalist - some tall hippie, apparently.

Looking at the whole list of vocalists, it definitely feels like it could be an Ayreon album, but we gotta remember that there are 20 vocalists across two discs, and I think that one of the eleven songs is an instrumental, meaning the other ten songs feature two different vocalists each. It'll be interesting to hear how each song will compare with its counterpart, and I'm sure there will be much discussion about which version is "better". I'm sure folks will mash-together their own preferred songs versions into one album/playlist.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3336 on: January 06, 2022, 02:41:07 PM »
Bold prediction:  Whichever song/version Ross Jennings is on, it will be my least favorite.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3337 on: January 06, 2022, 03:19:25 PM »
This really just proves that the way Arjen conceptualizes the difference between Ayreon and Star One is different than how fans do.  It seems to indicate it's more about the type of themes, and maybe also the instrumentation (less bowed and wind instruments in particular) and riff vs. chord-driven writing. 

The thing that still nettles me is that this might be the most stacked cast he's ever had, even more than the Ayreon albums, and yet we're not going to hear them interact much.  That was always a huge selling point for me, because otherwise you can already listen to each individual artist in their own bands and other guest appearances.  One of Arjen's talents has always been vocal orchestration, knowing who to pick for each particular section, and who they would mesh well with.  I'm sure it still has the potential to be great like the UM albums were, but it's a bit of a missed opportunity to me. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3338 on: January 07, 2022, 08:13:02 AM »
Fate of Man is a cool track, kinda missed that one the first time around. Just a straight forward power metal tune. Probably my favourite of the singles.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3339 on: January 08, 2022, 09:49:20 PM »
I was browsing "album preorders" on Target and saw a listing for a 2022 reissue of Space Metal for March 11? Anything special about that?

https://www.target.com/p/arjen-anthony-lucass-space-metal-re-issue-2022-cd/-/A-85638678#lnk=sametab
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3340 on: January 08, 2022, 10:19:46 PM »
I was browsing "album preorders" on Target and saw a listing for a 2022 reissue of Space Metal for March 11? Anything special about that?

https://www.target.com/p/arjen-anthony-lucass-space-metal-re-issue-2022-cd/-/A-85638678#lnk=sametab

Re-issues of the first two Star One albums were announced and up for preorder when the preorders for Revel In Time were put up last year.

https://www.merchandise.nu/en/collections/star-one

-Marc.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3341 on: January 08, 2022, 10:40:36 PM »

Re-issues of the first two Star One albums were announced and up for preorder when the preorders for Revel In Time were put up last year.

https://www.merchandise.nu/en/collections/star-one

-Marc.

Ooooh, that's cool. I... kind of wish I had waited now. I bought them both about two years ago while browsing eBay.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3342 on: January 10, 2022, 06:55:04 AM »
Does anyone know why my Into The Electric Castle earbook came with an additional DVD plastered onto it (when the thing itself contains a 5.1 dvd as well)?

When preordering Star One I found it was still in stock on the EU merch site (not the mascot label one), so I ordered it. Beautiful release, glad I was still able to buy at at a normal price.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3343 on: January 15, 2022, 08:30:13 AM »
Arjen has shared the breakdown of the album songs for Revel In Time:

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3344 on: January 15, 2022, 10:00:58 AM »
Wow... that's a lot of JJC.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3345 on: January 15, 2022, 11:15:31 AM »
Wow... that's a lot of JJC.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!

This is the first studio release that Arjen gets to use JJC for and it seems he really gave him that opportunity.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3346 on: January 15, 2022, 12:28:34 PM »
Interesting that the Mike and Ross combo is the final version, not a mashup just for the single like with Lost Children. Probably a good choice. And some vocals will differ quite a bit. For example Today is Yesterday, Dan on disc 1 and Arjen on disc 2.

Basically he mostly gives his guide vocal/backing vocal stars time in the spotlights with this second disc, which is a good thing. And John is awesome, I can see me preferring some of his versions. In wonder how many cool performances Arjen has in his vault. An example I recently stumbled upon on youtube, of a guide vocal for an old Star One (bonus) song, Closer to the Stars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1WjKuFOKuE
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:34:37 PM by ErHaO »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3347 on: January 15, 2022, 01:12:12 PM »
I wonder how many Ayreon superfans are going to prefer the Lucassen version of "Today Is Yesterday".   ;D

A random thought:  Since "time" is a major theme of the albums, I wonder just how much he's going to experiment with it musically.  Odd time signatures, changing meters, speeding up and/or slowing sections down.  Can he find a clever way to perform the music version of a time loop or time traveling?  Not exactly time, but the D common tone in the chord progression of Depeche Mode's "Behind the Wheel" kind of feels like a time loop, and I've wondered how many other more complex prog examples there are that I've overlooked. 

Also, I put off listening to it because I was knee-deep in '21 album evaluation, and also because Mills and Jennings are some of my least favorite vocalists on the album, but I finally watched the music video for "Prescient".  I don't know if it's maybe exaggeration for the camera, but wow does Arjen's keyboard technique looks inefficient, and I say this as someone who's seen cats and small children attempt to play. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 01:24:16 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3348 on: January 19, 2022, 03:11:45 PM »
New clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHN4Qceip4

I like it, seems this album will be varied and is going to be right up my alley.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3349 on: February 05, 2022, 12:18:29 PM »
When is freaking John Petrucci gonna be on an Arjen album :sadpanda: I thought he was a lock for the previous Ayreon already.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3350 on: February 05, 2022, 12:52:22 PM »
New clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHN4Qceip4

I like it, seems this album will be varied and is going to be right up my alley.

I think I like this one the most of the songs released so far. It’s definitely got that ultra cheese but it’s got a nice fat groove, the singer is ridiculously good and Adrian Vanderberg’s leads are rippin’! Good stuff.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #3351 on: February 18, 2022, 02:51:52 PM »
So far, it feels more like a little heavier Ayreon album. It's really good, but not enough Damian Wilson/Russell Allen/Dan Swano/Floor to be a Star One imo.  Lots of choir vocals, which can get a bit tiring.

Not enough interchanging of vocalists like on the other Star One albums like in Digital Rain/High Moon/Set Your Controls etc. That made Star One special for me, like on Human See, Human Do. There's not much here of that at all. Very few fast tracks, lots of mid-range stuff. I liked the JSS track 'Back from the Past'. 'Today is Yesterday' was great. I didn't care for the song with the guy from Haken, i think it was 'Prescient'?
I think it's a better album than Transitus, but doesn't come close to the other Star One's imo
I haven't heard the 2nd disc yet.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #3352 on: February 18, 2022, 04:59:17 PM »
I think it's a better album than Transitus, but doesn't come close to the other Star One's imo

Well, shame it doesn’t hold up tit he other Star One records, but I really don’t think it could’ve been as bad as Transitus was. I really enjoy most of Arjen’s stuff, but that one was super disappointing.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3353 on: February 18, 2022, 06:51:53 PM »
I am loving it, but I also enjoyed all tracks and samples released thus far. Prescient is one of my favourites actually, a really good Ayreon prog track to my ears. Back from the Past is the best track and Jeff Scoto sounds surprisingly great. The album overall is quite varied. Perhaps not very coherent though, and I would have preferred more songs with multiple singers (like Prescient).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3354 on: February 19, 2022, 08:06:43 AM »
Russ sounds awesome on his track (only one I've heard so far). Will listen to more later.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3355 on: February 19, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »
Floor is great as usual but I gotta hand it to Irene and Marcela here, the alternate version of Hand on the Clock is great.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3356 on: February 19, 2022, 04:19:48 PM »
The Jeff Scott Soto song is great. I love the one with Brittney Slayes too.

Very little of this album musically sounds like Star One, maybe two songs out of 11..  There is a lack of big, heavy riffs and faster tempos, which is make the band what it is to me.  Most of the record is just Ayreon's music with lyrics about Sci fi films.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3357 on: February 20, 2022, 02:35:05 AM »
I get why people are disappointed it is not a discontinuation of the previous album. But for me this is significantly better, so I am very happy with the record.

Very little of this album musically sounds like Star One, maybe two songs out of 11..  There is a lack of big, heavy riffs and faster tempos, which is make the band what it is to me.  Most of the record is just Ayreon's music with lyrics about Sci fi films.

While the album is much closer to Ayreon, I do think almost every song ventures into the riffing at least I associate with Star One. Almost every Ayreon album has much more mellow moments/songs in it. But the overall direction of the songs is often different than previous Star One. Take the title song, it has the riffs that sound Star One to me, but overall sounds much more like a catchy rock song.

As for the speed, there is perhaps a difference there but I do not consider the original Star One album fast. Victims of the Modern Age is heavier and faster in general though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3358 on: February 20, 2022, 04:50:13 AM »
I get why people are disappointed it is not a discontinuation of the previous album. But for me this is significantly better, so I am very happy with the record.

While the album is much closer to Ayreon, I do think almost every song ventures into the riffing at least I associate with Star One. Almost every Ayreon album has much more mellow moments/songs in it. But the overall direction of the songs is often different than previous Star One. Take the title song, it has the riffs that sound Star One to me, but overall sounds much more like a catchy rock song.

As for the speed, there is perhaps a difference there but I do not consider the original Star One album fast. Victims of the Modern Age is heavier and faster in general though.

After one listen, I agree with the bolded parts above.  I'm pleased with the album, but I'm pretty sure this will always be 3rd in a 3-horse race.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3359 on: February 20, 2022, 12:49:58 PM »
Not blown away yet or anything, but the track with Russell Allen is quite awesome I think. It's no 'Dawn of a Million Souls', but I wasn't expecting it to be.. that track is just too great.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .