Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 381695 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)
« Reply #3290 on: November 18, 2021, 03:33:32 PM »
I love the new track! More concise, straightforward metal track, but it flows really well and I like Romeo's solo. Britney sounds really good, I need to check out more from Unleash The Archers one day.

Please do so, their last album Abyss was (if I recall) my 2nd favorite album of 2020 and upon more review, I think I'd rate it #1 now.  Britney is a really good singer and the music is very good on the newest album.  Great metal IMO and they performed live a couple months ago, blew me away with how good she was in person.

Yeah, it was in my top 20 last year, excellent album, as well as the previous one. 

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #3291 on: November 19, 2021, 03:52:38 PM »
Gotta say, I still have lots of nostalgia for the storyline of the Ayreon project, but the music itself is not as interesting to me these days. However I do find it overall more colorful than the reoccuring tendencies in DT's music, though it is music steeped in homage like DT's.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3292 on: December 04, 2021, 11:14:07 AM »
Oh dear lord... Ross Jennings is singing on this?? 

:youfail:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3293 on: December 04, 2021, 03:07:07 PM »

I came to tolerate him in Haken, but don't need him in Star One.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3294 on: December 04, 2021, 03:40:50 PM »

On the second (or first?) disc you will have a version without him  ;D

(I have a love/hate relationship with his voice, it very heavily depends on the song. Weakest sample thus far, but I need to hear the song).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3295 on: December 04, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »
Remember when Star One was just 4 singers?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3296 on: December 04, 2021, 04:43:03 PM »

I think Arjen should troll us and do the next Ayreon album with just Russ, Damian, Floor, and Dan. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3297 on: December 05, 2021, 04:32:09 AM »

I'm worried that this album is going to be to Star One what Transitus was to Ayreon.  I haven't spun that album at all since it dropped.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #3298 on: December 05, 2021, 05:23:48 AM »
We'll see how it goes but I'm still not keen on the idea of different singers for each song, and it seems that there are also a lot of guest solo spots for several songs.

I just hope this isn't too much of "look who's on my record".

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3299 on: December 05, 2021, 05:32:17 AM »
We'll see how it goes but I'm still not keen on the idea of different singers for each song, and it seems that there are also a lot of guest solo spots for several songs.

It could be viewed that way considering he's making two versions of the album to include different vocalists on each song. Some might see it as Arjen having his cake and eating it too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3300 on: December 05, 2021, 06:02:33 AM »

Honestly though that's kind of been his thing since ITEC.  It's a huge draw to his music and a significant part of what has differentiated him from other bands. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3301 on: December 05, 2021, 11:47:18 AM »
It is one of his trademarks and songs focusing on one singer is also not really new for him. He gets the chance to work with a huge amount of talent and he quite obviously loves doing so.

I feel that he has been pretty clear with the communication about this album. If you don't like the premise or just want the og Star One lineup, I am afraid this is not the record for you.

I personally think most of what has been released thus far is great (samples and songs), I honestly don't really care about the label he gives to it.

Transitus appeared in my most listened to lists of 2021 on Spotify, so for me that was a success as well. But I am a sucker for musicals and a lot of songs clearly go for that musical direction. I do, however, think it is one of his more flawed albums, mainly disc 2.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #3302 on: December 05, 2021, 12:19:10 PM »
If you don't like the premise or just want the og Star One lineup, I am afraid this is not the record for you.

Yeah, I fear this will be the case. I hope he proves me wrong, but right now, I'm not feeling it.

And yeah, I know it's his trademark to work with multiple singers, obviously, but this is shaping up to be the biggest cast yet, and it seems there's also a guest soloist for most of the songs. Right now my gut feeling is, that it's too much. But that's probably me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3303 on: December 05, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »
If you don't like the premise or just want the og Star One lineup, I am afraid this is not the record for you.

Yeah, I fear this will be the case. I hope he proves me wrong, but right now, I'm not feeling it.

And yeah, I know it's his trademark to work with multiple singers, obviously, but this is shaping up to be the biggest cast yet, and it seems there's also a guest soloist for most of the songs. Right now my gut feeling is, that it's too much. But that's probably me.

It is almost his largest cast in terms of vocalists, yes (01011001 wins I think?), but that is entirely due to the whole two versions thing. The one (main) singer, one song concept is also mostly Universal Migrator (both parts/albums). I don't see why it would be more bothersome now, unless people did not like it there either. I will likely either pick a favourite disc or just make a playlist based on my preference.

I do assume each song will have a soloist that is on both versions.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3304 on: December 05, 2021, 05:47:54 PM »

The alternate soloist on disc 2 for Steve Vai's 3-minute solo will be Fred Durst. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3305 on: December 14, 2021, 04:33:01 AM »
The first two Star One albums will see rerelease, both on vinyl and CD. This friday will cost me money...

Also, I think Dan Swano's sample sounds great! And Mike's vocals suit the song of his samples much better than Will. Looking forward to hearing the songs.

The alternate soloist on disc 2 for Steve Vai's 3-minute solo will be Fred Durst.

Not gonna lie, I would genuinely be interested in hearing what Arjen would do with his vocals, though not at a guitar solo spot  :P I saw some footage of Limp Bizkit live a couple of years ago and I think Fred is a great entertainer.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3306 on: December 17, 2021, 05:12:16 AM »
Preordered the signed colored vinyls for each Star One album  :biggrin:

I hope we will see some (vinyl) rereleases of other Arjen albums in the future as well. Some are really too expensive these days.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3307 on: December 17, 2021, 05:47:38 AM »
Well... so much for pre-ordering.  €35 for shipping to Canada - just for the Artwork/Blu-Ray bundle (cuz I sure as hell don't need a €30 T-shirt, or €50 hoodie)!!! 

F that.   >:(

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3308 on: December 17, 2021, 06:05:52 AM »
I really like the new song. But this one sounds really close to Ayreon, much moreso than Lost Children of the Universe. It is not a heavy song at all.

Did the Haken guy change his singing technique or something? I enjoyed most that I have heard of him in recent times, while the singing on early Haken records sounds off to me.

Well... so much for pre-ordering.  €35 for shipping to Canada - just for the Artwork/Blu-Ray bundle (cuz I sure as hell don't need a €30 T-shirt, or €50 hoodie)!!! 

F that.   >:(

Damn that sucks, not signed but I do think you can preorder at the US Insideout shop (Century Media).
https://centurymedia.store/product/Y4CE517COMBO/arjen-anthony-lucassens-star-one-revel-in-time-artbook-3cd-bluray-digital-download?cp=102832_103046_110879

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: December 17, 2021, 06:11:44 AM »
Thanks.  I just might wait until it drops, and see if Amazon.ca has it in stock.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3310 on: December 17, 2021, 06:16:19 AM »
Thanks.  I just might wait until it drops, and see if Amazon.ca has it in stock.

The artbook is limited, the link has this line: "This is a Century Media Exclusive item limited to 100 units!"

But maybe that is for the US and not Canada ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3311 on: December 17, 2021, 06:37:21 AM »

The artbook is limited, the link has this line: "This is a Century Media Exclusive item limited to 100 units!"

But maybe that is for the US and not Canada ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hhmmm... my gut says that Century Media was only allocated 100 copies (atm) from Arjen.  Oh well... if I miss out, so be it.  I hardly ever go back to thumb through the artbooks anyway.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3312 on: December 17, 2021, 07:38:02 AM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3313 on: December 17, 2021, 07:57:26 AM »
LaserCD has artbook for pre-order

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/revel-time-3cdblu-ray-art-book-preorder

Thanks. That's where I ordered from. As much as I'd love a signed copy, Arjen's shipping prices were outrageously high. I do like that ocean blue shirt though, so I may snag that later on.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3314 on: December 17, 2021, 10:47:42 AM »
Well, so now this makes it really conspicuous that we have all of the original lineup except for Russ.  I don't know if it would have been stranger to just do the album with the original three and someone like John Jaycee Cuijpers as the Allen replacement.  And I suppose it's unclear how much Dan's voice has recovered, perhaps he could commit to a single track, but a full album of parts might have been more than he thought his voice could handle.  I guess this leaves open the possibility he still has another Witherscape or Nightingale in him down the road. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3315 on: December 17, 2021, 11:01:14 AM »
International shipping within Europe has become notably more expensive in many instances, as a result of ongoing covid-related problems. German shops I have ordered from for years now ask twice the amount, for example (or more).

Well, so now this makes it really conspicuous that we have all of the original lineup except for Russ.  I don't know if it would have been stranger to just do the album with the original three and someone like John Jaycee Cuijpers as the Allen replacement.  And I suppose it's unclear how much Dan's voice has recovered, perhaps he could commit to a single track, but a full album of parts might have been more than he thought his voice could handle.  I guess this leaves open the possibility he still has another Witherscape or Nightingale in him down the road.

What happened with Dan?

Also, there are still guessing games incoming I believe. Not really expecting Russel, but a lot has happened since the Universe shows and he is a fan fave.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3316 on: December 17, 2021, 11:06:04 AM »
He's said in interviews that he blew out his voice doing harsh vocals for the last Witherscape album, and consequently had done very little vocal work since then because his voice couldn't handle it anymore. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3317 on: December 17, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »
The new song with the Haken singer sucks.  So boring and bland, and definitely not what I expect from Star One.

Offline majo

« Reply #3318 on: December 18, 2021, 12:03:17 AM »
Prescient sounds more like an Ayreon track but I don't give a f. It's a great track and I really dig it  :metal
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3319 on: December 18, 2021, 07:32:43 AM »
I think it is a mint track. But yeah, it can't get more Ayreon than this, this time I do agree. According to Arjen it is the most "proggy" track of the album.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3320 on: December 18, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »
Preordered the Artbook signed from Arjen, expensive shipping sure.....
Have hardly heard a note. Hope I can keep it like that util I have the artbook in my hands.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3321 on: December 18, 2021, 11:54:51 AM »
From Arjen’s FB

Dear friends, we got quite a bit of complaints about the international shipping costs yesterday. And I agree! So we asked M&E to offer you cheaper options to ship your product. People who already ordered internationally can of course change their method of shipping and get a refund, please contact M&E for this. So sorry for the inconvenience, I really hope this helps! Thanks as always for your patience and support :-)

You can preorder here: https://www.merchandise.nu/en/collections/star-one

Guess I should take another look

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3322 on: December 18, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »
A nice that they are putting in effort to make it cheaper. But shipping is kind of a tough market now, so I wonder how much cheaper it will get.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3323 on: January 03, 2022, 07:06:44 AM »
That for sure is Russel Allen, sounds good!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3324 on: January 03, 2022, 07:09:44 AM »
John Jaycee Cuijpers and Russell Allen? That is interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com