Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382767 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Transitus Announced)
« Reply #3220 on: October 27, 2021, 10:14:07 AM »
He couldn't have announced all of the singers yet. Right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3221 on: October 27, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »
Zzzzz.   The new song doesn't do much for me.  I hope there are some better songs on the album.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3222 on: October 27, 2021, 11:54:34 AM »
I think it is a great track. Love the female vocal chorus with the heavy parts and that is a nice long solo. I am happy the choir makes a return. But despite it's length it feels more like a regular track with an extended solo, not an "epic".

I thought the two discs with different vocals was a hypothetical DTF thing but apparently that is actually the case?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3223 on: October 27, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
I thought the two discs with different vocals was a hypothetical DTF thing but apparently that is actually the case?

Nope, it was in the initial press release from a few weeks ago.

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) is back with a new Star One album titled Revel In Time.  The new album comes more than 10 years since the previous release and is due out on Feb 18th, 2022 on InsideOutMusic.

The album will be available for pre-order on Dec. 17th and it will come as Ltd. 2CD Digipak, Ltd. Deluxe 3CD+Blu-Ray Artbook (incl. a poster of the cover artwork), and as 180g Gatefold 2LP (incl. the album on CD & an LP-Booklet). CD 2 features alternate versions of the same songs as CD 1, but with different vocalists. Also available will be a 5.1 mix, a high-res audio version, and an exclusive, hour-long Behind the Scenes video, on the Blu-ray included in the Artbook.

For this Star One release, Arjen has decided to use a different singer for each song, and those singers as well as the instrumentalists are slowly being revealed on Arjen Lucassen’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArjenLucassenOfficial

Arjen explains the decision to return with a new Star One album:
“Ayreon is like the mothership for all my music. It contains all the different musical styles that I like to listen to and that I love to create. But I’m always looking for challenges and trying to create something new and original as well. Working within a set of constraints forces you to do that, so sometimes I like to limit myself and focus on just one style. For example, with Star One I focus on the metal-side of Ayreon. That means you won’t hear the exuberantly liberal use of acoustic instruments that are so often featured on Ayreon albums, like violin, woodwinds, cello, horns, dulcimer, mandolin, etc.”

The artwork was designed by Ayreon artist Jef Bertels, Arjen explains:
“As always, Jef’s painting is wondrously labyrinthine; I can sit in front of it for hours and discover new details all the time. Now you might be thinking “Hey, isn’t Jef Bertels the designated artist for Ayreon, but not for Star One?” Of course I thought about that myself. But when I realized how much I liked this album I felt that it deserved a painting of its own and a special place alongside Jef’s other front-cover masterpieces. And anyway, I’ve been breaking rules ever since the very beginning of Ayreon. So… there you have it!”

Totally ordering the artbook!

-Marc.

As for the new song, I didn't dislike it, but it was very mellow compared to what I think of when I think of Star One, especially as the album closer. I wonder who sings on the alternate version!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3224 on: October 27, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »
The clip itself feels weirdly amateurish.

Nope, it was in the initial press release from a few weeks ago.

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) is back with a new Star One album titled Revel In Time.  The new album comes more than 10 years since the previous release and is due out on Feb 18th, 2022 on InsideOutMusic.

The album will be available for pre-order on Dec. 17th and it will come as Ltd. 2CD Digipak, Ltd. Deluxe 3CD+Blu-Ray Artbook (incl. a poster of the cover artwork), and as 180g Gatefold 2LP (incl. the album on CD & an LP-Booklet). CD 2 features alternate versions of the same songs as CD 1, but with different vocalists. Also available will be a 5.1 mix, a high-res audio version, and an exclusive, hour-long Behind the Scenes video, on the Blu-ray included in the Artbook.

For this Star One release, Arjen has decided to use a different singer for each song, and those singers as well as the instrumentalists are slowly being revealed on Arjen Lucassen’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArjenLucassenOfficial

Arjen explains the decision to return with a new Star One album:
“Ayreon is like the mothership for all my music. It contains all the different musical styles that I like to listen to and that I love to create. But I’m always looking for challenges and trying to create something new and original as well. Working within a set of constraints forces you to do that, so sometimes I like to limit myself and focus on just one style. For example, with Star One I focus on the metal-side of Ayreon. That means you won’t hear the exuberantly liberal use of acoustic instruments that are so often featured on Ayreon albums, like violin, woodwinds, cello, horns, dulcimer, mandolin, etc.”

The artwork was designed by Ayreon artist Jef Bertels, Arjen explains:
“As always, Jef’s painting is wondrously labyrinthine; I can sit in front of it for hours and discover new details all the time. Now you might be thinking “Hey, isn’t Jef Bertels the designated artist for Ayreon, but not for Star One?” Of course I thought about that myself. But when I realized how much I liked this album I felt that it deserved a painting of its own and a special place alongside Jef’s other front-cover masterpieces. And anyway, I’ve been breaking rules ever since the very beginning of Ayreon. So… there you have it!”

Totally ordering the artbook!

-Marc.

As for the new song, I didn't dislike it, but it was very mellow compared to what I think of when I think of Star One, especially as the album closer. I wonder who sings on the alternate version!

-Marc.

Ah, thanks, I totally read over that.

But this clip version is actually a merger between the two different versions, so one will have Roy, the other Tony.

I do agree it is mellow. But to be honest, I don't mind this approach to Star One. Victims of the Modern Age always felt a tad homogeneous to me. And judging by the samples, the overall focus will be metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3225 on: October 27, 2021, 12:46:30 PM »

As for the new song, I didn't dislike it, but it was very mellow compared to what I think of when I think of Star One, especially as the album closer.

My thoughts exactly.  At times it had a TTOE vibe, other times TDS.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't Star One (imo).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #3226 on: October 27, 2021, 12:48:11 PM »
Decent Ayreon song. Really dug parts of it.

Let me know when he releases a Star One song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3227 on: October 27, 2021, 01:33:08 PM »

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3228 on: October 27, 2021, 02:28:43 PM »
That Vai solo  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3229 on: October 27, 2021, 04:40:08 PM »

I wonder what Arjen would say if you were to message him that... :lol

Sounds like Star One to me...

I found this response in an interview...

VT: And as hard as it is to believe, it’s already the 10th anniversary of the second Star One album Victims Of The Modern Age.

AL: I know! Funny you should mention it. As you know, every album I do is a reaction to the previous one, so since Transitus is not a metal album, I’d love to do a metal album now. So I’m thinking of doing a ‘Star Three’. But I don’t want to repeat myself, so last week I took a really long walk and with headphones I listened to both Star One albums. And again, it’s weird for me because the first album sold like crazy, it’s way more popular than Victims Of The Modern Age, which is one of my lesser sellers. But when I heard it, I thought ‘Oh my god, it sounds so good, and so huge!’ And it sounds stupid to say about myself, but the songs are kind of intelligent, you know? And then you listen to the first Star One album and it’s basically simple songs (laughs and sings ‘Intergalactic space crusaders…’) But it’s way more catchy, the first album. It has standout tracks like Set Your Controls and Songs Of The Ocean and The Eye Of Ra. The second album for some reason doesn’t have that. It’s kind of all on the same level for me. That’s probably why I didn’t play one of them on Ayreon Universe, but I think that album is so incredibly strong. The riffs, the sound, and of course the singers sound so good.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3230 on: October 27, 2021, 07:33:06 PM »
I agree with Arjen in saying that the second Star One album wasn't nearly appreciated enough, but I wish he would have helped correct that by giving it some love at one of the Ayreon shows. And while those two albums are different to a degree, they do have a common thread for sure, and I agree with those here who say this is a nice Ayreon song to release. Will be interesting to see if this ends up veering more strongly back to the Star One direction.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #3231 on: October 27, 2021, 09:13:53 PM »
I agree with Arjen in saying that the second Star One album wasn't nearly appreciated enough, but I wish he would have helped correct that by giving it some love at one of the Ayreon shows. And while those two albums are different to a degree, they do have a common thread for sure, and I agree with those here who say this is a nice Ayreon song to release. Will be interesting to see if this ends up veering more strongly back to the Star One direction.

Yeah without Allen/Swano/Wilson (is Wilson going to be on this? haven't seen anything about him) doesn't much sound like Star One to me. Even the cover looks like Ayreon. I didn't really care for Transitus and this track didn't seem that great on first listen. Was great to hear Tony Martin/Roy Khan, but for 10 mins it just kind of plodded along. Let's hope this isn't the best the album has to offer.

I enjoyed Victims of a Modern Age, but not as much as the first one. Human See, Human Do, Earth that Was, Digital Rain and Cassandra Complex are the standouts i think, but i haven't listened to that album in years. It was strange he didn't play anything from that at the Universe show, i think a couple of those songs would have fit right in.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: October 28, 2021, 05:43:01 AM »
It All Ends Here was the only track from VOTMA that didn't quite click for me.  All the others - even the bonus disc songs - were all gems.  The three-song run of Human See, 24 Hours, and Cassandra is absolutely god-tier to me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3233 on: October 29, 2021, 12:59:30 PM »
Marcela sounded like she was doing a bit of a Floor impression in parts there, which threw me off.  Glad to see her getting the spotlight again though.  I wish Arjen would release an album with the guide vocals that she and Marjan Welman have done.

Transitus had the guide vocals as a bonus disc in the earbook. Hopefully future (re)releases will do the same, I think it is a nice bonus feature.

Oh, really?  Sounds like Arjen is already a step ahead of me!  I was underwhelmed by Transitus, but that alone will compel me to purchase it.  Is it Marjan's, Marcela's, both, or also anyone's else's? 

Well, it sounds like a mash-up of The Dream Sequencer and Flight of the Migrator, which was Arjen's pilot episode for Star One, with more of the focus on electronic instrumentation.  Once he released Space Metal and then The Human Equation the sound of the two projects diverged a bit, with Ayreon being a bit mellower and slower on average and including the folkier elements, and Star One being more uptempo and riffy, and not quite as expansive in terms of lineups.  The Source drifted back in the Star One direction, and now this one drifts a bit in the Ayreon direction.  But Star One always had slower-paced tracks as well, like "Starchild", "The Eye of Ra", "24 Hours", or "It All Ends Here."  This doesn't build up orgasmically like those first two do especially, but it's not like it's unprecedented.  I quite liked the choir passage in this one in particular.  Operatic and choral elements in metal frequently don't live up to their potential, so it's nice when they're well-executed. 

I enjoyed Victims of a Modern Age, but not as much as the first one. Human See, Human Do, Earth that Was, Digital Rain and Cassandra Complex are the standouts i think, but i haven't listened to that album in years. It was strange he didn't play anything from that at the Universe show, i think a couple of those songs would have fit right in.

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded Universe starting out with "Into the Rabbit Hole/Digital Rain", which was my favorite song from it, very much in the spirit of "Lift-Off/Set Your Controls", but still distinct.  Space Metal bowled me over when I first heard it, but VotMA took awhile to grow.  I still don't like it quite as much, but grow it did. 

Really sweet solo from Timo here.  Never would have guessed it.  Delain is one of my favorite bands, but he doesn't get as much room to stretch out there (though fortunately more than the average symphonic metal band, which is part of why they're a cut above most).  Shame the current lineup is no more.  "Combustion" hinted at this sort of stuff, too bad they couldn't have incorporated it more regularly.  I'm hoping maybe he convinced Charlotte to be on the album as well, that would really make my day. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au1elP9g158

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:00:54 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: October 29, 2021, 01:34:40 PM »
You make a really good point that The Source diverged very much into (nearly) Star One territory.  To that end, I'll try not to be too annoyed that most of what I've heard so far from this sounds more Ayreon-ish than Star One-ish.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3235 on: October 29, 2021, 01:38:37 PM »
I'm relatively new to the Ayreon/Star One universe (thanks Chad!), so for the longer fans on the block, is there really a distinction?  Do you say "Wow, I love the Ayreon, but not loving the Star One" or vice versa?   I kind of dig both, though I view the Star One as a little more niche because of the very specific movie connections, but still.   It's like Neal Morse for me.  It's his solo stuff versus, say, Transatlantic, but I'd be hard pressed to understand why someone would love one and not the other, given the similarities (though I suppose it's possible).

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3236 on: October 29, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
I'm relatively new to the Ayreon/Star One universe (thanks Chad!), so for the longer fans on the block, is there really a distinction?  Do you say "Wow, I love the Ayreon, but not loving the Star One" or vice versa?   I kind of dig both, though I view the Star One as a little more niche because of the very specific movie connections, but still.   It's like Neal Morse for me.  It's his solo stuff versus, say, Transatlantic, but I'd be hard pressed to understand why someone would love one and not the other, given the similarities (though I suppose it's possible).

I prefer Star One to Ayreon.  It's heavier and I like that the first two albums had the same lineup and were all songs about science fiction movies.  The live album and DVD from the Star One tour is awesome.

Ayreon really doesn't do it for me, except for the one heavy Migrator album and a song or two from some albums.  I'm not much for the folky, spacey, less-heavy music from Arjen.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3237 on: October 29, 2021, 01:53:13 PM »

I prefer Star One to Ayreon.  It's heavier and I like that the first two albums had the same lineup and were all songs about science fiction movies.  The live album and DVD from the Star One tour is awesome.

Ayreon really doesn't do it for me, except for the one heavy Migrator album and a song or two from some albums.  I'm not much for the folky, spacey, less-heavy music from Arjen.

I think the additional distinction is that Star One is all metal, with no (little?) musical or instrument (the physical devices and sounds) experimentation.  With Ayreon, he'll lots of different kinds of synth patches, use orchestral instruments, and then kick it up a notch with the use of pipes and didgeridoo.

Also, you're welcome!

Online Adami

« Reply #3238 on: October 29, 2021, 02:20:00 PM »

For me it’s not that I don’t like one and like the other. I love both but I see them as different things for different needs. The man IS Star One and Ayreon so if he writes an Ayreon album, call it Ayreon. I expect something different from Star One and get a little bummed when it’s really not different than Ayreon other than the topic of lyrics. Not saying this album will be that, but as of yet I’ve only heard one riff that had a real Star One sound.

It’s like DT and LTE. Different sounds despite some overlap since it’s the same writers. But if they announced LTE4 and it was MM instead of MP and JM instead of Tony and they added James….then just call it Dream Theater.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3239 on: October 29, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
It's like Neal Morse for me.  It's his solo stuff versus, say, Transatlantic, but I'd be hard pressed to understand why someone would love one and not the other, given the similarities (though I suppose it's possible).

Well I'm one of those, imo NM is great most of the time while Transatlantic is just solid most of the time.

And what Adami said. All of Lucassens projects sound similar, because he's the main writer and instrumentalist, but all sound also a little different. And if the new one sounds more like Ayreon, that's not necessarily bad, but then don't go and call it Star One.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3240 on: October 29, 2021, 04:21:26 PM »

I think the additional distinction is that Star One is all metal, with no (little?) musical or instrument (the physical devices and sounds) experimentation.  With Ayreon, he'll lots of different kinds of synth patches, use orchestral instruments, and then kick it up a notch with the use of pipes and didgeridoo.

I'm not sure the synth experimentation is really less in principle, there's still quite a variety of sounds, you just notice it less because there's not as much time spent in more ambient sections where the synths are the focus.  With Star One a larger portion of the time is in heavier, speedier sections, and those generally have the driving organs and the Solina strings up top for atmosphere and thickening. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3241 on: October 29, 2021, 04:24:54 PM »
It's like Neal Morse for me.  It's his solo stuff versus, say, Transatlantic, but I'd be hard pressed to understand why someone would love one and not the other, given the similarities (though I suppose it's possible).

Well I'm one of those, imo NM is great most of the time while Transatlantic is just solid most of the time.

And what Adami said. All of Lucassens projects sound similar, because he's the main writer and instrumentalist, but all sound also a little different. And if the new one sounds more like Ayreon, that's not necessarily bad, but then don't go and call it Star One.

I think the distinction lies with the lyrical content rather than the musical content. His musical career ebbs and flows if you follow it from album-to-album, project by project, and even his own Ayreon albums tend to sound different from each other as the years have gone on. The thing that makes an Ayreon album an Ayreon album is the lyrical content, most of which take place narratively within a single universe (with two exceptions so far), while Star One albums focus on lyrics that take inspiration from sci-fi films, television, and franchises in general, and are not usually his own original ideas.

If the new Star One *sounds* more like Ayreon, I'd be fine with it, because a lot of folks felt disappointed by Transitus in that it didn't sound like traditional Ayreon (like, say, The Source or The Human Equation). If Revel In Time is more like those albums, I won't be disappointed. And the fact that we are getting two versions of the album with different singers on each song is a bonus, and I hope that the songs aren't crossfaded/segued into each other so that we can mix-and-match songs between both to make our own version of the album if we please, although I am sure there are some crafty folks out there who will chop up individual songs to have one vocalist sing the first verse while the other sings the second, etc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3242 on: October 29, 2021, 06:55:57 PM »
I think the distinction lies with the lyrical content rather than the musical content.

Nah, he's said in interviews when Space Metal came out that Star One was his vehicle for metal-oriented songs.  He wanted a separate project to write heavier music and created Star One. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3243 on: October 29, 2021, 07:11:56 PM »
I think the distinction lies with the lyrical content rather than the musical content.

Nah, he's said in interviews when Space Metal came out that Star One was his vehicle for metal-oriented songs.  He wanted a separate project to write heavier music and created Star One.

That may have been the case 20 years ago, but he's since had outlets for his more metal ideas. I think everyone expecting Revel In Time to sound like Space Metal is setting themselves up for disappointment. I'm just expecting great music from Arjen.

-Marc.

Online Adami

« Reply #3244 on: October 29, 2021, 07:59:08 PM »
I mean, you do you. A good record is a good record, don’t get me wrong. But saying the only difference between Star One and Ayreon is the lyrics is a bit a revisionist and not really true.

All of his projects have unique identities, I don’t see why Star One should be an exception to explain away it sounding too similar to Ayreon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3245 on: October 29, 2021, 08:02:26 PM »
I got in to Ayreon sometime after 01 and took to it right away. I like to love most of the material, though I haven't listened to the post-01 material nearly as much. I got around to checking out the Star One albums later on and I just cannot connect with them at all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 425

« Reply #3246 on: October 29, 2021, 10:28:15 PM »

For me it’s not that I don’t like one and like the other. I love both but I see them as different things for different needs. The man IS Star One and Ayreon so if he writes an Ayreon album, call it Ayreon. I expect something different from Star One and get a little bummed when it’s really not different than Ayreon other than the topic of lyrics. Not saying this album will be that, but as of yet I’ve only heard one riff that had a real Star One sound.

It’s like DT and LTE. Different sounds despite some overlap since it’s the same writers. But if they announced LTE4 and it was MM instead of MP and JM instead of Tony and they added James….then just call it Dream Theater.

I get that it's a bit different because it's all the same guy, but since you brought up that example... I don't expect every Dream Theater album to sound like Images and Words. And if they release The Astonishing when I'm expecting Images and Words, I consider that a me problem, not a them problem.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 10:59:47 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3247 on: October 29, 2021, 11:51:30 PM »
I remember I said something about this not being Star One. Went back and found this that I posted in March:

So, instead of Star One, we are getting something along the lines of The Universal Migrator.

To me, Star One is Russ, Damian, Floor and Dan. Anything else is Ayreon or a different project altogether, at least in Arjen's world.

I still stand by that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3248 on: October 30, 2021, 01:20:55 AM »
I kind of agree with that, but my understanding is that he and Russ had a bit of a falling out, and Dan is probably declining extensive guest vocal appearances with the current condition of his voice.  So Arjen wanted to do something heavier after the last Ayreon album, and keeping the format from the first two wasn't an option, so it's either change things up or start a new project entirely.  He's probably also been sitting on the idea for a thematic album about time-manipulation movies for awhile now, so it just made more sense to him to go with the former.  Not every project has the strictly cohesive structure anyway, from a modern perspective it seems like Ayreon is his go-to vehicle for large ensemble casts on each track, but then of course if you go back, the first few albums are also singer per song, with the exception of ITEC.  THE is where the structure becomes consistent. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3249 on: October 30, 2021, 05:15:02 AM »
I get that it's a bit different because it's all the same guy, but since you brought up that example... I don't expect every Dream Theater album to sound like Images and Words. And if they release The Astonishing when I'm expecting Images and Words, I consider that a me problem, not a them problem.

No, but if you pickup LTE3, and it sounds like the instrumental version of AVFTTOW, that's a JP/JR thing.

I kind of agree with that, but my understanding is that he and Russ had a bit of a falling out, and Dan is probably declining extensive guest vocal appearances with the current condition of his voice.  So Arjen wanted to do something heavier after the last Ayreon album, and keeping the format from the first two wasn't an option, so it's either change things up or start a new project entirely.  He's probably also been sitting on the idea for a thematic album about time-manipulation movies for awhile now, so it just made more sense to him to go with the former.  Not every project has the strictly cohesive structure anyway, from a modern perspective it seems like Ayreon is his go-to vehicle for large ensemble casts on each track, but then of course if you go back, the first few albums are also singer per song, with the exception of ITEC.  THE is where the structure becomes consistent. 

I'm with you on this.  I think the 'falling out with Russ' is the biggest issue.  If Arjen really wanted to be true to "Star One", he could've sub'd in Soeterbrock for Swano.  I think bolded part is the biggest driver of calling this Star One.  It's thematic, and movie/TV based - I suspect THAT makes is Star One as far as Arjen is concerned.  Vocally and musically, I'm not hearing much that resembles the first two Star One albums.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3250 on: October 30, 2021, 07:48:40 AM »

No, but if you pickup LTE3, and it sounds like the instrumental version of AVFTTOW, that's a JP/JR thing.

I'm with you on this.  I think the 'falling out with Russ' is the biggest issue.  If Arjen really wanted to be true to "Star One", he could've sub'd in Soeterbrock for Swano.  I think bolded part is the biggest driver of calling this Star One. It's thematic, and movie/TV based - I suspect THAT makes is Star One as far as Arjen is concerned. Vocally and musically, I'm not hearing much that resembles the first two Star One albums.

Ah, someone who agrees with me! But I also do think its a bit of a shame the vocal "cast" of the first two Star One albums couldn't all return, but these things happen. I am interested in hearing how these new songs will sound with multiple different vocalists across the album!

-Marc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3251 on: October 30, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »
I'm not super familiar with Arjen's catalog, but the one time I checked Star One (I believe it was a while after the 2nd album was released), I didn't connect with it at all, and I did try to like it. Ayreon is much more of my liking, though I haven't listened to any of the songs in a long long time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3252 on: November 01, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »
To me it seems that the song thematics, as well as the lack of acoustic/classical instruments are what it makes Star One to Arjen. And perhaps a general focus on heavier sounds/darker music. The Source was initially going to be Star One, but that changed course somewhere along the lines (and I assume the album changed along the way).  Ultimately I do not care what name he slaps on it, to be honest. But I understand that for some the name Star One comes with expectations. This approach to Star One seems more aligned with the bonus disc of Victims of the Modern Age.

Listened to the first two Star One albums yesterday. I really enjoyed Space Metal, but for this album I think the live versions are just so much better. It is kind of weird hearing the studio versions for me, as I replaced them in my playlists. Masters of Darkness is my fave, probably. Victims of the Modern Age is one of the least interesting albums by Arjen for me, it feels kinda homogenic at times. But some of those songs are of sure amazing. 24 Hours in particular, I love that track.

As an album closer, I already do prefer The Lost Children over It All Ends Here and kinda over Starchild (studio version), I doubt that will change much.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3253 on: November 01, 2021, 10:46:23 AM »
I agree... the Live on Earth versions of the Space Metal tunes are generally far better than the studio ones.  I just wish they'd done Master of Darkness live.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3254 on: November 01, 2021, 01:41:12 PM »
So today's guessing game went up this morning and a lot of people were guessing Mike Mills because they had a very high-ranged voice and sang some pretty atmospheric pitches, but then an hour or so later, Arjen shared the post on his other account and gendered the mystery vocalist by saying "she", and so all of the Mike Mills guesses were absolutely wrong. :lol

I think a lot of folks were saying it was Brittney Slayes, though I am unfamiliar with their work but a quick Google search shows this isn't her first collaboration with Arjen.

-Marc.