Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 380980 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Transitus Announced)
« Reply #3185 on: October 12, 2021, 11:29:36 AM »
I dunno. This is just sounding....like Ayreon. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy for a new Ayreon album. And even though this is about movies and not the Ayreon story, the music (and everything else) just seems...Ayreon and not very Star One ish at all.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3186 on: October 12, 2021, 11:41:28 AM »
I dunno. This is just sounding....like Ayreon. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy for a new Ayreon album. And even though this is about movies and not the Ayreon story, the music (and everything else) just seems...Ayreon and not very Star One ish at all.

Star One, for me, is like another aspect of Arjens Sci-Fi fantasy world that includes Ayreon, Star One, and his solo album.

I view Star One like the Star Trek crew going throughout the galaxies in their space ship visiting many vast worlds.

It's a way for me to explain how Arjen makes the music and how artists, even through different bands, can end up making music that sounds similar to another project. To me that is the Arjen sound, and has nothing to do with Ayreon, Star One, or his Solo album "Lost In The New Real" sounding similar in sound.

It has to do with the type of music Arjen wants to make, and Star One is his extravagant Metal Space Crew venturing off across into Sci-Fi land. While Ayreon is his conceptual space rock Opera epic, and includes his folk aspects. Which the folk aspect is heard in The Gentle Storm and Stream of Passion, and I view this as the human aspect of Arjens musical sound and style.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3187 on: October 12, 2021, 12:03:24 PM »

I totally agree.  Star One was where he went full-on metal.  So far, the music hasn't sounded very heavy like the last two Star One records did.  The guessing games are interesting, but I really want a full song to see how it all sounds.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3188 on: October 12, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
And the album cover, while not bad, is more in the Ayreon style than Star One.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3189 on: October 12, 2021, 01:47:15 PM »
You know. I wonder how many albums Star One is contracted for?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3190 on: October 12, 2021, 01:48:39 PM »
You know. I wonder how many albums Star One is contracted for?

Given that they seem to come out once per decade, I think they're done on an as-written basis and not for any long-term contractual agreement.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3191 on: October 12, 2021, 01:52:12 PM »
It sounds more like Ayreon to me and the cover is totally Ayreon. Thus far everything sounds fantastic though and I love the cover. Though I will say I think Universal Migrator and Star One (the first record) seem stylistically close to me. I suppose the main distinction for Arjen is that it is not a rock opera and the lack of folk/classical instrumentation

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3192 on: October 12, 2021, 01:56:53 PM »
It sounds more like Ayreon to me and the cover is totally Ayreon. Thus far everything sounds fantastic though and I love the cover. Though I will say I think Universal Migrator and Star One (the first record) seem stylistically close to me. I suppose the main distinction for Arjen is that it is not a rock opera and the lack of folk/classical instrumentation

I noticed that too while listening to Space Metal. It did sound like the heavier The Flight of The Migrator.

Star One could very well be Arjens outlet for this more metal and heavier style without any folk flutes and all that stuff that is in Ayreon.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3193 on: October 12, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
Star One could very well be Arjens outlet for this more metal and heavier style without any folk flutes and all that stuff that is in Ayreon.

You're just figuring this out now!?!?  :lol

I'm with you guys 100% on the cover.  The solo snippet from Vai doesn't sound exactly Star One like - but then again, neither does It All Ends Here (the song).  I'm not stuffed at all based on the 40 second clips we heard throughout the vocalist guessing games.  I guess it remains to be seen .. er, heard with the instrument samples still to come.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3194 on: October 12, 2021, 02:44:11 PM »

You mean Flight Of The Migrator, which is the second part of Universal Migrator. I'm sure a lot of folks confuse the two when they say UM and they mean FOTM, though saying just Um also implies both FOTM and the first part, The Dream Sequencer. I do agree, though, that when Arjen divided his proggy and metal sides on those two albums, FOTM did end up sounding a bit Star One-ish at times.

As for Revel In Time sounding/looking like an Ayreon album, I don't blame anyone for thinking that. I *love* the album artwork, but it definitely evokes an Aryeon-feel. I'm hoping the songs are very heavy and more like the first two Star One albums than anything Arjen has done with Ayreon over the last ten years. I'm sure Arjen fans that were let down by Transitus are looking forward to a new Star One!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3195 on: October 12, 2021, 02:58:49 PM »

You're just figuring this out now!?!?  :lol

Yeah. I never actually listened to much Star One. It wasn't until these songs appearing on Ayreon Universe did I listen to the albums.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3196 on: October 12, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
Speaking of The Dream Sequencer, the Vai track sounds like it could have been on it, it's more in that spacey, chilled out Floyd vibe. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3197 on: October 15, 2021, 01:16:57 PM »
Finally, Roy Khan and Arjen working together!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3198 on: October 15, 2021, 02:11:27 PM »
Kamelot is one of those bands that I was a big fan of fairly early on, and then just stopped listening to them altogether at some point.  I didn't even bother checking out the later albums until the last few years.  I've been rediscovering them this year though, and Karevik has been growing on me as well, which might help unlock the last few Ayreon albums some more.  This will also give me an excuse to spend some more time with Conception, which is another band I know about and have given some cursory listens to, but can't really say I'm familiar with them. 

Offline 425

« Reply #3199 on: October 15, 2021, 02:19:43 PM »
The Black Halo is one of my favorite albums ever, and Khan is a big part of why. It's always nice when he shows up again. He sounds good on that track.

I'm more a fan of the Karevik-era of Kamelot than a lot of people are, I think. It doesn't have the sort of enthusiastic creativity of the Karma-Black Halo run, but they've found a sound that really works for them and are doing strong material in that sound. If Tommy appeals to you as a singer, it's also worth listening to Seventh Wonder, where he's really unleashed.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3200 on: October 15, 2021, 03:11:12 PM »
I’m very late to the party, just getting into this stuff through Russell Allen. Space Metal is awesome and some of my favorite Bruce Dickinson vocals are on Into The Black Hole.  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3201 on: October 18, 2021, 03:08:17 PM »
The new guessing game sounds like Irene Jansen. Who is always awesome on Arjen's albums.

And having Kahn on an Arjen record is nice! Not too big on the recent conception material, but I like Kahn for sure.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3202 on: October 18, 2021, 04:00:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm at least 90% sure that's Irene.  It's a shame she hasn't done more recording, she has too great a voice to have only done the limited amount of studio work that she's performed on. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3203 on: October 18, 2021, 04:07:35 PM »
As I'm listening, I'm thinking "is that Floor in the background?"   :lol

The snippets released so far (musically and vocally) don't really shout out Star One to me.  Kinda sounds more like Transitus - the sequel.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3204 on: October 18, 2021, 04:19:27 PM »
It feels more like unheard material from The Source and The Dream Sequencer so far to me. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3205 on: October 18, 2021, 05:28:30 PM »
Just realising now about this.  I've drifted off Arjen the last couple as I'm outgrowing his style truthfully but always enjoyed Star One.

I'll check the samples later.  Vai and Khan being involved though is good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:42:26 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3206 on: October 18, 2021, 09:19:34 PM »
The Charismatic Voice just today released a reaction video for "Everybody Dies"

https://youtu.be/w1Sbn5TpIzM

I like her reaction to Mike Mills and that was literally my same reaction when hearing this live version. And Ayreon Universe is what made Mike Mills on of my all time favorite vocalists.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3207 on: October 18, 2021, 10:41:53 PM »
Her channel is fun to learn about applied vocal techniques.  I enjoyed her ones on "The Day That The World Breaks Down" and "Valley of the Queens" as well.  I still haven't checked out Toehider, Mills is fun in limited doses, but I'm not sure I could take a whole album of him. 

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3208 on: October 19, 2021, 03:07:49 AM »
I love The Charismatic Voice, she really reminds me of why I fell in love with metal in the first place, watching her listen to Bruce Dickinson or Ronnie James Dio for the first time takes me back to when I listened to them for the first time, all those years ago. Plus she notices so many little nuances that have never occurred to me. She's so open minded about the music she listens to, which is wonderfully refreshing.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3209 on: October 19, 2021, 03:11:43 AM »
Finished up my Ayreon run-through.

Transitus is not good and pretty much totally forgettable.  Yowza.

100% agreed on Transitus. Biggest disappointment of the year for me.

I think it had the potential to be a good album, but all that spoken stuff between the songs just totally ruined it for me.   It's one thing when you have those spoken parts between 6, 7 and 8 and 10 minute tracks (ItEC), but when all the tracks are 2, 3 and 4 minutes long and you put as much as a minute of spoken stuff between EVERY track, I tried listening a few times I could never even make it through the first disc without moving on to something else.  I hope he keeps that stuff to a minimum on the new Star One album

That spoken word stuff is TOM FRIKKING BAKER! That man could read the phone book and it would be a joy to listen to. Besides, I've always maintained that Transitus succeeds in being everything that The Astonishing was trying to be but wasn't.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3210 on: October 19, 2021, 04:09:57 AM »
As I'm listening, I'm thinking "is that Floor in the background?"   :lol

The snippets released so far (musically and vocally) don't really shout out Star One to me.  Kinda sounds more like Transitus - the sequel.

This I don't hear, at all. Ayreon for sure, but way more Universal Migrator pt II and The Source (which was initially planned as a Star One album, right?) to me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3211 on: October 19, 2021, 04:35:29 PM »
Irene pronounced her last name with a J and not a Y, so now I'm really confused.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3212 on: October 19, 2021, 05:00:18 PM »
I sometimes wonder if people who are "famous" in multiple countries are much more fluid about pronunciation.  They're constantly being interviewed by people who speak a different primary language than them, so they probably hear their name pronounced different ways.  So either they don't mind or care, or depending upon the intended audience, might go with what they perceive might be a more common or easier pronunciation even if it is isn't technically accurate. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3213 on: October 20, 2021, 04:56:14 AM »
I sometimes pronounce my name differently in English as well, as it tend to flow better when talking EN. And Irene sounds like she has spent quite some time in the UK or with English people.

That said, I checked and Floor pronounced Jansen the Dutch way in the Star One reveal.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3214 on: October 20, 2021, 09:13:22 AM »
Yea, her accent in English has a bit of a British sense to it, so I can see that impacting how she chooses to say her name.

And her clip is the one that sounds most like Star One to me!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3215 on: October 26, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »
I recognised Marcela, but had to do a double take as it sounds like she gave it all here. Anyways, nice to see her take the lead on a new Ayreon track!

And Tony is whatever to me, but the song snippet sounded cool.

Also, videoclip tomorrow!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3216 on: October 26, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »
Marcela sounded like she was doing a bit of a Floor impression in parts there, which threw me off.  Glad to see her getting the spotlight again though.  I wish Arjen would release an album with the guide vocals that she and Marjan Welman have done.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3217 on: October 27, 2021, 02:45:00 AM »
Marcela sounded like she was doing a bit of a Floor impression in parts there, which threw me off.  Glad to see her getting the spotlight again though.  I wish Arjen would release an album with the guide vocals that she and Marjan Welman have done.

Transitus had the guide vocals as a bonus disc in the earbook. Hopefully future (re)releases will do the same, I think it is a nice bonus feature.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3218 on: October 27, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
First single is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ADV7NYDfQs

Damn... I have a work call in 3 minutes, so this 10-min song will have to wait.   >:(

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3219 on: October 27, 2021, 10:12:52 AM »
Ooo...I like the lineup.

Although...darn Arjen for making this different than what is going to be on the album. But if he can combine them both, then I may end up doing the same for the other songs and this one. 😂