Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 381030 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Transitus Announced)
« Reply #2940 on: October 27, 2020, 12:12:53 AM »
My son emailed Arjen to ask if he had ever considered covering Babylon 5 in a Star One song.  The response was that he is working on a new S1 album, and that he has considered B5 as subject matter, as well.

That's cool. Arjen is known to be pretty open about things he's working on until it's time to announce them and he plays his fun guessing games. He is also very quick to respond to fans on Facebook, so it makes sense that he might take the time to respond to a fan's email, but still very cool nonetheless!

I hope that, because of the pandemic, that Arjen can write the album over the next few months, then get the album recorded in the new year, just in time for a Fall 2021 release. It would have been at least 11 years since the last Star One album, so it's definitely time for a third one! I'm excited to see what other sci-fi properties he's thinking of using as the basis for the new songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2941 on: November 22, 2020, 01:29:54 PM »
No posts about it in almost a month, when the album is only a few months old, is probably not a good sign, but how good is Transitus?  I kind of forgot it was coming out and was trying to decide if I want to buy it or not.  Ayreon isn't really an auto-buy for me anymore.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2942 on: November 22, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
No posts about it in almost a month, when the album is only a few months old, is probably not a good sign, but how good is Transitus?  I kind of forgot it was coming out and was trying to decide if I want to buy it or not.  Ayreon isn't really an auto-buy for me anymore.

For me, I kind of drifted from Ayreon/Transitus lately due to TFK's Islands coming out, and a few other new releases taking up my time, but I have gone back and listened to it a few times in the last few weeks, and it still holds up for me.

It's shorter than your average Ayreon album, about as long as The Theory Of Everything. As Arjen has said, it's more musical-ish than his previous works, mostly due to it originally being a film script. The vocalists are all very well suited to their parts, and I've gotta give props to Tommy and Cammie for being such strong leads on this album. Tom Baker is also an excellent narrator, but I know that some folks didn't really care for the narration at all, but it definitely makes the album stand out among other Ayreon releases.

It's certainly different, but I think that's what gives the album its charm. The accompanying comic book is a great visual treat and makes me want comics for other Ayreon albums like The Theory Of Everything, The Source, and 01011001.

Definitely give it a spin at least a few times to see if you like it, but I can understand why it might not be for everyone, especially for those who prefer Arjen's heavier, more aggressive material. Transitus is a bit more proggy and and less metal, but it does have some good heavy moments throughout.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2943 on: November 22, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
I realise it's not a way to judge the album at all, but I just looked at the tracklist and it looks like it suffers from the usual problem double concept albums have where a whole load of short tracks are thrown it at the end. See also Snow.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2944 on: November 22, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
I realise it's not a way to judge the album at all, but I just looked at the tracklist and it looks like it suffers from the usual problem double concept albums have where a whole load of short tracks are thrown it at the end. See also Snow.

Given the emphasis on the plot and story, I don't see this as a negative. Shorter songs that get to the point of the story rather than bloating them out with needless instrumental twiddling.

Also, The Source ended with several shorter tracks, yet that was widely praised by many fans of Arjen and Ayreon, so I don't really see that as a "problem" with double concept albums, just a mere coincidence of tracklists having shorter tracks on albums you probably don't favor.

Looking at Pink Floyd's The Wall, after "Comfortably Numb", of the remaining 7 songs, only one is longer than 5 minutes. The last five tracks on Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway are all under 4.5 minutes.

And like I said above, Transitus is more of a musical than a traditional rock opera, and I feel like a lot of musicals have shorter songs near the end as a way to wrap things up for various characters and situations, so they all sort of run together in quick succession. I think I like that a bit more than having to try and cram all of those plot points into a larger piece that can sound a bit hodge-podge and glued together for the sake of having an "epic closing piece".

-Marc.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2945 on: November 22, 2020, 05:44:43 PM »
I still like it. After seeing the music video. That just made me want an entire movie now, in that same style. Just a short video that is just the album in video form. Man, I bet Arjen could've done that if Covid didnt happen
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2946 on: November 22, 2020, 06:55:25 PM »
I atleast would be really bummed hearing a new Star One without Russell. Arjen and Russel have always been a great combo.

Me too... but I'll take a Russell-less Star One release over no release at all.

Boom.  You guys are talking about Russell Allen like he's Freddie James Plant.  I wouldn't lose a second of breath if it turned out he's not on there (and to be fair, I LIKE his work with Star One).

By the way, Chad, "Thank you, later".   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2947 on: November 22, 2020, 08:13:54 PM »
More prog than metal sounds encouraging, but I am seeing not great reviews and lack of buzz elsewhere on the 'net for it, so it feels like the fanbase as a whole wasn't too excited by this one.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2948 on: November 22, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »
More prog than metal sounds encouraging, but I am seeing not great reviews and lack of buzz elsewhere on the 'net for it, so it feels like the fanbase as a whole wasn't too excited by this one.

It was fine. Nothing terrible or even bad. But nothing great. Just kind of middle of the road.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2949 on: November 22, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »

It was fine. Nothing terrible or even bad. But nothing great. Just kind of middle of the road.

It's the Irony of the album. It got hit hard by the covid-19, and Arjen had trouble with the Shipping, and other Package Art things.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Adami

« Reply #2950 on: November 22, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »

It's the Irony of the album. It got hit hard by the covid-19, and Arjen had trouble with the Shipping, and other Package Art things.

None of that has any impact on what I’m saying. I’m strictly talking the album itself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2951 on: November 22, 2020, 09:53:20 PM »
I think it's a really good record and I still spin it regularly.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2952 on: November 22, 2020, 10:00:28 PM »

None of that has any impact on what I’m saying. I’m strictly talking the album itself.

:facepalm: Meant to quote Kev...My Bad.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2953 on: November 23, 2020, 06:05:33 AM »

Nailed it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2954 on: November 23, 2020, 08:57:44 AM »
In the context of Ayreon, I would consider it, middle-tier as well.

It's still an amazing concept, and his execution of it is neat. The old time radio horror story. When I listen to the entire story, it makes me feel like I just turned on the radio, and am sitting close to the speaker. The musical comic book.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2955 on: November 23, 2020, 10:53:41 PM »
Transitus feels like a Broadway musical, but I quite like it. I’m not a fan of the narration that is peppered throughout the album, though Tom Baker does a great job of it.

Had never heard Cammie Gilbert before. Killer voice.

Online Pettor

« Reply #2956 on: November 24, 2020, 11:59:39 PM »
These types of albums are problematic for me. It really needs to be listened from start to finish since everything is so tightly connected. However the album is only middle-tier as someone said so I don't find myself longing to spend that time listening to it. There's really only 3 songs or so that I can listen to as standalone and they are fun when they randomly appear in Spotify for me but I don't have any urge to listen to them other than that. So it was an album I liked a couple of spins but don't see myself coming back to very often or at all 🤷‍♂️

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2957 on: November 25, 2020, 04:25:50 PM »
These types of albums are problematic for me. It really needs to be listened from start to finish since everything is so tightly connected. However the album is only middle-tier as someone said so I don't find myself longing to spend that time listening to it. There's really only 3 songs or so that I can listen to as standalone and they are fun when they randomly appear in Spotify for me but I don't have any urge to listen to them other than that. So it was an album I liked a couple of spins but don't see myself coming back to very often or at all 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, that is my fear. I listened to some on YT and it sounded solid, but it definitely had the "I'd probably never listen to this" feel to it.  And to be fair, the last Ayreon album I got a lot of mileage from was released in 2008, so barring majorly awesome reviews across the board, I will continue to take a "wait and see" attitude with any new Ayreon record going forward.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2958 on: November 26, 2020, 02:00:20 AM »
I still think it is good and will be listening to it for years. I think there is a decent amount of songs that do not require listening to the entire album as well.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2959 on: November 26, 2020, 08:37:16 AM »
Arjen has released an Ayreon Christmas song! Really!!

https://youtu.be/ps_Ne2_pWUM

I was asked to record a Christmas song, and my first thought was that it’s not really my thing. But as I thought about it, I suddenly remembered that 27 years ago in 1993 I already recorded a sort of Christmas track, but it was never used. I re-recorded the track, Lori adapted the lyrics, I made it a bit more ‘Christmassy’ and of course added the obligatory sleighbells. The coolest thing about this track are the party sounds you hear in the background. That was actually recorded in the meeting room of the record label by the whole Mascot staff!

Hope you like it, ho ho ho!
https://smarturl.it/Ayreon-Xmas

-Marc.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2960 on: November 26, 2020, 12:48:45 PM »
Sidenote: My favourite sidetrack from Arjen is definitely El Paso

I'm pretty sure he just "butchered" Ed's drumtake from Chaos to fit the song.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2961 on: November 26, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »

I was asked to record a Christmas song, and my first thought was that it’s not really my thing. But as I thought about it, I suddenly remembered that 27 years ago in 1993 I already recorded a sort of Christmas track, but it was never used. I re-recorded the track, Lori adapted the lyrics, I made it a bit more ‘Christmassy’ and of course added the obligatory sleighbells. The coolest thing about this track are the party sounds you hear in the background. That was actually recorded in the meeting room of the record label by the whole Mascot staff!

-Marc.

That song is....just not good.  :-\

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2962 on: November 26, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »
Sidenote: My favourite sidetrack from Arjen is definitely El Paso

I'm pretty sure he just "butchered" Ed's drumtake from Chaos to fit the song.  :lol

Why haven't I heard of this....  :rollin

That was worth it to hear Arjen say New Mexico.  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2963 on: November 27, 2020, 02:06:59 AM »
The Electric Castle and Other Tales boxset is now going for €99 instead of €159 in EU Mascot shop.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2964 on: November 27, 2020, 08:32:04 AM »

-Marc.

I like this one a lot! Anyone know who's singing here?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2965 on: November 28, 2020, 07:37:23 AM »
I wanted to get the Ayreon Universe concert on DVD or Blu-ray a while back, but it was unavailable everywhere.  I just happened to look at amazon earlier this week and they had 7 DVD's available! I couldn't hit the buy button any faster! :lol 

I guess I looked at the right time, as I see no copies are available again.

Watched it last night and it is pretty great.  Amazing how he was able to get all of those singers together for one little tour like that.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2966 on: November 28, 2020, 08:24:52 AM »
I wanted to get the Ayreon Universe concert on DVD or Blu-ray a while back, but it was unavailable everywhere.  I just happened to look at amazon earlier this week and they had 7 DVD's available! I couldn't hit the buy button any faster! :lol 

Watched it last night and it is pretty great.  Amazing how he was able to get all of those singers together for one little tour like that.

Yup. It's why a show this extravagant must be planned at least 2 years ahead of time. Because those singers, are in active and touring bands, and need to know ahead as bands have their schedules set, also about 2 years ahead.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2967 on: November 28, 2020, 08:44:41 AM »

Yup. It's why a show this extravagant must be planned at least 2 years ahead of time. Because those singers, are in active and touring bands, and need to know ahead as bands have their schedules set, also about 2 years ahead.

Oh, for sure. I can't imagine how much of an undertaking that was to plan.  And I didn't mind getting slightly abridged versions of a lot of the songs.  Considering how rare it is to get an Ayreon concert, doing a lot of slightly abridged versions meant more songs could be played. Would have been nice to get more songs from The Dream Sequencer (Floor Jansen could have slayed 2084 and Dragon of the Sea), but I am not complaining.  It was a great mix of songs.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2968 on: November 28, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »

Oh, for sure. I can't imagine how much of an undertaking that was to plan.  And I didn't mind getting slightly abridged versions of a lot of the songs.  Considering how rare it is to get an Ayreon concert, doing a lot of slightly abridged versions meant more songs could be played. Would have been nice to get more songs from The Dream Sequencer (Floor Jansen could have slayed 2084 and Dragon of the Sea), but I am not complaining.  It was a great mix of songs.

Floor doing 2084 would've been awesome. I didn't mind the abridged versions either, although Waking Dreams could've been the full version. I understand Age of Shadows, as We Are Forever would've been quite the task to pull off. I wonder if they did rehearse that part, but found they would have needed more time to get the timing right in the harmonies for Anneke.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2969 on: November 28, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »

Floor doing 2084 would've been awesome. I didn't mind the abridged versions either, although Waking Dreams could've been the full version. I understand Age of Shadows, as We Are Forever would've been quite the task to pull off. I wonder if they did rehearse that part, but found they would have needed more time to get the timing right in the harmonies for Anneke.

Yeah, that could have been really tricky to pull off, so I get leaving it out and not risking it as any minor errors in the execution could have resulted in a major train wreck.

I don't think anyone had more fun performing at that show than Jeroen Goossens. Every time he had to play the flute or piccolo or another woodwind instrument, he looked like he was having a blast.

Joost van den Broek is impressive as hell on the keys as well. He stood out on the live Electric Castle one, too.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2970 on: February 09, 2021, 08:35:26 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/109887886151/posts/10157430899691152/

"New Star One album in the making!"

:metal :metal :metal

-Marc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2971 on: February 09, 2021, 08:41:03 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/109887886151/posts/10157430899691152/

"New Star One album in the making!"

:metal :metal :metal

-Marc.

I was wondering how he’d handle the singer thing. Sounds interesting!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2972 on: February 09, 2021, 09:51:06 AM »
I love that guy.  His enthusiasm is contagious.   

(I also like the art on the walls:  there was a Beatles poster, and Zeppelin IV and Hemispheres album covers.  I didn't get the other two, though the one between Zep and Rush seems familiar.)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2973 on: February 09, 2021, 09:56:08 AM »
Cool... though for me, it won't *really* be Star One with the multi-vocalist approach.  To me. S1 is Floor/Damien/Dan/Russel.  The four of them are/were magic on the first 2 albums.  This will be heavy Ayreon - which I'm totally fine with.  I guess this is his way of calling it S1, but not having Russel on the album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2974 on: February 09, 2021, 10:07:42 AM »
Looking forward to it, but Star One should be the original cast of singers. Like Chad said, there was a special magic.

Maybe Arjen should've named this Star Two.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D