Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382793 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Transitus Announced)
« Reply #2695 on: July 29, 2020, 04:40:04 AM »
Wasn't that however made on purpouse? I mean, it's not like Arjen was bored or had a creative brain fart and churned out those lyrics last minute was sitting on the toilet, the cringey lyrics higlighting the naivetè of Simone's character and the utter mediocrity of the avearage boring guy were exactly what was wanted for those songs.

Not that this makes those lyrics suddenly beautiful, but as I said, I understood that it was precisely the point the lyrics needed to make.

Of course it was on purpose, I just think it detriments my enjoyment of the album a bit.

But then again, the skip button exists, so :P
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2696 on: July 29, 2020, 05:08:10 AM »
Look, Arjen isn't an amazing wordsmith by any means, but the straight forward lyrics do often clearly evoke what he intends, and that never bothered me.

As a musical story teller, my expectations tend to be a little higher than 'straight-forward'.  And I wouldn't even classify them as straight-forward, they're just not good.  To me, it's like the difference in acting between say, Titanic, and a random Hall-Mark Channel Christmas movie.  For some, there's a place for Hall-Mark Christmas movies (jingle.daughter and mrs.jingle will watch 25 of them every year); for me ... not so much.

Truth of the matter is, I don't ever skip them, but I'm very much looking forward to the next track.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2697 on: July 29, 2020, 09:30:45 AM »
For fans here who enjoy 01011001, did you come into the band around the time of that album's release? For me, I found them around the time The Human Equation came out, and then worked my way back through the previous albums and loved them ALL (yes, even Actual Fantasy).

I got into them after The Source was out but I started with The Final Experiment.

01011001 was one of the albums I enjoyed right away.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline 425

« Reply #2698 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:32 PM »
For fans here who enjoy 01011001, did you come into the band around the time of that album's release? For me, I found them around the time The Human Equation came out, and then worked my way back through the previous albums and loved them ALL (yes, even Actual Fantasy).

I got into them between The Theory of Everything and The Source. 01011001 is in my top 3 with THE and The Source. Those three albums just seem to me to be much more consistent than the others. Yes, Connect the Dots and Web of Lies aren't great, but they're a pretty small part of the album.

On the issue of lyrics, I have to say, I think relatively little of Arjen's skill as a lyricist. It may be a little weird when speaking about an artist who almost exclusively writes very rock-opera-esque concept albums, but I'm here almost entirely for the music alone. I think his dialogue is often awkward, and, in particular, inappropriately slangy ("Do it right, do it right, we ain't got all night," "Oh no, I thought you knew that I am so much cooler"). His stories range from clichéd but decent (THE, TTOE) to fairly aimless (UM, 01) to ridiculous (ITEC). The thing that sticks out to me from what he's said about his background as a writer is that he says he has never read a book. And honestly, I think that really shows in his writing.

I don't mean to totally trash the guy. I like a whole lot of his music. He's working in a second language. And he has his strong lyrical moments, usually when he's writing more abstract topics (Beneath the Waves, And the Druids Turn to Stone). But overall I just do not think that lyrics are his strong suit.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2699 on: July 30, 2020, 02:39:41 AM »

I got into them between The Theory of Everything and The Source. 01011001 is in my top 3 with THE and The Source. Those three albums just seem to me to be much more consistent than the others. Yes, Connect the Dots and Web of Lies aren't great, but they're a pretty small part of the album.

On the issue of lyrics, I have to say, I think relatively little of Arjen's skill as a lyricist. It may be a little weird when speaking about an artist who almost exclusively writes very rock-opera-esque concept albums, but I'm here almost entirely for the music alone. I think his dialogue is often awkward, and, in particular, inappropriately slangy ("Do it right, do it right, we ain't got all night," "Oh no, I thought you knew that I am so much cooler"). His stories range from clichéd but decent (THE, TTOE) to fairly aimless (UM, 01) to ridiculous (ITEC). The thing that sticks out to me from what he's said about his background as a writer is that he says he has never read a book. And honestly, I think that really shows in his writing.

I don't mean to totally trash the guy. I like a whole lot of his music. He's working in a second language. And he has his strong lyrical moments, usually when he's writing more abstract topics (Beneath the Waves, And the Druids Turn to Stone). But overall I just do not think that lyrics are his strong suit.

Definitely agree! The lyrics are very cringe worthy at most times. TTOE is amazing but not because of the lyrics tbh  ::) However he creates very cool sci-fi lore like the whole 01 and The Source concepts. Somehow it reminds me of playing the game Death Stranding. Genius concept with dialogue that are sometimes unbearable to listen to, strange story arcs, weird characters and all that but the sum of all things is so good I really don't care in the end.

Honestly not that excited for the new album. Feels like it's going away a bit from the sci-fi stuff into more traditional rock-opera. The two songs released wasn't my cup of tea at all. It doesn't have any of what I consider Ayreon's strengths.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2700 on: July 30, 2020, 11:09:14 PM »

Agreed for the most part. I've heard some silly lyrics here and there but like you, I'm there for the music. Good lyrics is a bonus.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2701 on: August 15, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »

Agreed for the most part. I've heard some silly lyrics here and there but like you, I'm there for the music. Good lyrics is a bonus.

I think for me, I am also here for the music, but also for the vocal casts. Every new Ayreon album is a chance to hear vocalists that I am both familiar with and have never heard of. Granted, I've never gone out of my way too far to listen to those unknown-to-me vocalists' other works/bands, but hearing them as part of an Ayreon album probably helps other discover new bands! I also really love hearing the new instrumental guests he gets on every album.

Of course, I became a fan when The Human Equation was new, and that album really ticked every box for me in terms of what I look for in a concept album, and even 15 years later, I still occasionally find myself going to THE if I want to listen to any Ayreon. The music is so good, and so varied throughout, which is what I really love about Arjen and Ayreon. It's progressive rock and metal, but he's not afraid to throw in a lot of different instruments and other musical styles and genres and shape it in a prog rock mold.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2702 on: August 15, 2020, 09:46:24 AM »

I think for me, I am also here for the music, but also for the vocal casts. Every new Ayreon album is a chance to hear vocalists that I am both familiar with and have never heard of. Granted, I've never gone out of my way too far to listen to those unknown-to-me vocalists' other works/bands, but hearing them as part of an Ayreon album probably helps other discover new bands! I also really love hearing the new instrumental guests he gets on every album.

Of course, I became a fan when The Human Equation was new, and that album really ticked every box for me in terms of what I look for in a concept album, and even 15 years later, I still occasionally find myself going to THE if I want to listen to any Ayreon. The music is so good, and so varied throughout, which is what I really love about Arjen and Ayreon. It's progressive rock and metal, but he's not afraid to throw in a lot of different instruments and other musical styles and genres and shape it in a prog rock mold.

-Marc.

Oh yeah the vocals too! I really enjoy them. I wasn't familiar with the vast majority of them before I started getting into Ayreon. The few bands I checked out didn't do anything for me but at least I get to hear these talented singers in Ayreon. Good stuff  :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2703 on: August 28, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »
Alright, here's a fun little game for everyone.

We know that the new album contains a song, "This Human Equation".

I will let you know those lyrics are used in the song, and they are rhymed with another slightly altered wordplay that's a bit of Ayreon history. Can you guess what it is?

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2704 on: August 28, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
Alright, here's a fun little game for everyone.

We know that the new album contains a song, "This Human Equation".

I will let you know those lyrics are used in the song, and they are rhymed with another slightly altered wordplay that's a bit of Ayreon history. Can you guess what it is?

Generic variation  ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: August 28, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
Final Experimentation :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2706 on: August 28, 2020, 04:27:26 PM »
Unnatural Tax Evasion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2707 on: August 28, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
:lol Loving the guesses, but no one is correct just yet!
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2708 on: August 28, 2020, 05:52:46 PM »
Universal vacation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2709 on: August 28, 2020, 05:53:44 PM »
 Welcome to The Old Dimension   :justjen
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: August 28, 2020, 05:58:07 PM »
Into the Acoustic Castle

The 1st Experiment

Day 21: Hungover
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #2711 on: August 28, 2020, 06:10:29 PM »
:lol Loving the guesses, but no one is correct just yet!

Got it.

Finger Lickin’ Masturbation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2712 on: August 28, 2020, 06:34:10 PM »
Universal vacation.

Closest one yet!

Online Adami

« Reply #2713 on: August 28, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »
Universal vacation.

Closest one yet!

Ohhhh. I know what it is then.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2714 on: August 28, 2020, 07:47:55 PM »
Ok for real

Is it "I can't believe that this is god's creation?"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2715 on: August 28, 2020, 10:02:43 PM »
Universal migration

I'm not even an Ayreon fan

yeet
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2716 on: August 28, 2020, 10:07:38 PM »
Oh, I didn't see the last post before mine :lolpalm:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2717 on: August 29, 2020, 05:27:31 AM »
Universal migration

yeet

Ding ding ding!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2718 on: September 03, 2020, 08:10:17 AM »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2719 on: September 03, 2020, 08:14:13 AM »
That's a great music video, loving how The Earth and The entire space looks. Fits the song very well.

The cheesy lyrics, I'll take it as Arjen being cheeky and humorous. It's not Sci-Fi if it doesn't have cheese. He is a big Star Trek Fan... :biggrin:

This album is seeming to me to be a musical comic book. Can't wait till its released now...

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2720 on: September 03, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
That's a great music video, loving how The Earth and The entire space looks. Fits the song very well.

The cheesy lyrics, I'll take it as Arjen being cheeky and humorous. It's not Sci-Fi if it doesn't have cheese. He is a big Star Trek Fan... :biggrin:

This album is seeming to me to be a musical comic book. Can't wait till its released now...

48 Page Earbook including the comic

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2721 on: September 03, 2020, 03:01:48 PM »
Universal migration

yeet

Ding ding ding!

I HEARD IT!!!!

https://youtu.be/lKwaBJmSUps

I wish I could say I planned that, but had no idea that song would be the next video.

I'll be chatting with Arjen a week from today, so if anyone has questions let me know!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2722 on: September 03, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »

48 Page Earbook including the comic

I made sure to order that, mainly for the comic.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2723 on: September 04, 2020, 07:54:23 AM »
I feel like a giddy school girl.

Arjen, said my description of Transitus as a Musical Comic Book is a very good description.

Now im more glad I got the comic book.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2724 on: September 04, 2020, 11:27:19 PM »
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the new single, but I'm still optimistic about the album.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2725 on: September 17, 2020, 06:22:11 AM »
I love the new song, best so far for me. Manzi is the lead here right? Not really familiar with him but I enjoy these vocals quite a bit.

Vocal melody reminds me of Digital Rain (Star One) at times.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2726 on: September 17, 2020, 08:40:14 AM »
My interview got pushed back a week, but went well this morning. Should be available in a few days hopefully.

I never have problem filling a half hour with Arjen, just expanding on things I ended up not even hitting on a third of what I had prepared.

Spent time talking about the journey of the album from its original intention to an Ayreon album, the singers, and the comic.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2727 on: September 18, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »
Just got an email that my package is shipping.

So cool they're shipping it now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: September 18, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
Based on the singles, I have zero excitement for this.  Feels too much like the vibe from TTOE, which is one of the  (if not THE) least fave Ayreon albums.  To me, it's starting to sound like he's out of ideas.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2729 on: September 18, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
Based on the singles, I have zero excitement for this.  Feels too much like the vibe from TTOE, which is one of the  (if not THE) least fave Ayreon albums.  To me, it's starting to sound like he's out of ideas.

I find Ayreon in a similar creative situation as Coheed and Cambria has in their concepts.

Both are finding ways to intertwine new stories into their world.