Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382983 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Transitus Announced)
« Reply #2660 on: July 22, 2020, 02:42:32 PM »
Out of his entire discography, the amount of songs on which someone growls or screams can be counted on one (? - okay, maybe two - someone please verify!) hand(s).

There's the screams on ITEC, but I think that's one song. There's quite a number of them on THE too between Devin and Mikael.

I think maybe a few on 110101011010010101? Maybe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2661 on: July 22, 2020, 02:44:13 PM »
I don't recall any growling/screaming on 01011001.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

« Reply #2662 on: July 22, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
I don't recall any growling/screaming on 01011001.

Yea. I probably got that wrong.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2663 on: July 22, 2020, 02:49:19 PM »
The name? Yeah. :) :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2664 on: July 22, 2020, 03:01:48 PM »
The Sixth Extinction has growling. But those are minimal in parts where the song constantly changes singers.

Online Adami

« Reply #2665 on: July 22, 2020, 03:03:01 PM »
The Sixth Extinction has growling.

HAH!

Suck it Tusk!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2666 on: July 22, 2020, 03:08:09 PM »
The Sixth Extinction has growling.

HAH!

Suck it Tusk!

In my defense those are super low in the mix and very scarce. They're the Jonas Renske/Floor Jansen parts. You just check every body of water you enter this summer very thoroughly, Adami :getoffmylawn:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2667 on: July 22, 2020, 03:14:42 PM »
The Sixth Extinction has growling. But those are minimal in parts where the song constantly changes singers.

They're used to emphasize the lyrics and overall mood of the hectic end of the world, everything is ablaze, chaotic, Death that is happening.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2668 on: July 22, 2020, 04:05:35 PM »
Yeah, there are maybe.... three songs in Ayreon's discography that have growls? The one on Electric Castle, Renske on Sixth Extinction, and Tommy growls on at least one on The Source (Tommy Rogers, not the other Tommy).

Online Adami

« Reply #2669 on: July 22, 2020, 04:07:44 PM »
Yeah, there are maybe.... three songs in Ayreon's discography that have growls? The one on Electric Castle, Renske on Sixth Extinction, and Tommy growls on at least one on The Source (Tommy Rogers, not the other Tommy).

And THE.

Devin and Mikael growl/scream.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2670 on: July 22, 2020, 04:28:17 PM »
Oh shit you're right, I forgot all about THE.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2671 on: July 22, 2020, 06:08:05 PM »
Oh shit you're right, I forgot all about THE.

Short memory, eh?

Out of his entire discography, the amount of songs on which someone growls or screams can be counted on one (? - okay, maybe two - someone please verify!) hand(s).

There's the screams on ITEC, but I think that's one song. There's quite a number of them on THE too between Devin and Mikael.

I think maybe a few on 110101011010010101? Maybe.

There's also Swano on the Star One albums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2672 on: July 22, 2020, 11:52:51 PM »
Not listening to Ayreon for the growls is like listening to Metallica for the tight drum parts. There are some but they are few and far between.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2673 on: July 23, 2020, 01:09:17 AM »
Not listening to Ayreon for the growls is like listening to Metallica for the tight drum parts. There are some but they are few and far between.  :D

:rollin

Spot on!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2674 on: July 23, 2020, 11:29:29 AM »
The thing that I didn't like about The Source, was the Behind the Scenes.

I enjoyed THE and 01's behind the scenes because of the interaction between Arjen and his guest. It's lacking severely nowadays, due to music now capable of being made at home, and sent across the ocean.

Also, with The Source, I wonder if Floor's and Hansi's character is the same as 01. And if the others singers in The Source are the other characters..

I could hear The Chemist/Tommy Rogers in Jonas Renske's character, the way they sing thier parts, and happen to be Growlers.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2675 on: July 23, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »

:rollin

Spot on!!!

:lol  Well then I clearly need to get over myself and start taking this project more seriously.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: July 23, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »
The Human Equation behind the scenes video is awesome. Such a fantastic bonus material.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2677 on: July 24, 2020, 08:12:14 AM »
The Human Equation behind the scenes video is awesome. Such a fantastic bonus material.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2678 on: July 24, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XT1B3X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tdYgFbSN0XCEY

Just noticed that the Electric Castle Live earbook is only $38.99 on Amazon, so if you missed out on it from Mascot or other retailers, now is your chance to get it at 20% cheaper than original price!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2679 on: July 25, 2020, 07:40:14 AM »
I ended up asking Arjen, "I have a question I wanted to ask about the connection between The Source and 01. Are the forevers played by Floor and Hansi still the same characters  played in 01, and If the other guests are playing those same characters in 01?"

He responded:

"Yes indeed they are, Benjamin, good question! And basically the forever have become a 'collective' through the centuries, just like the Borg in Star Trek

Stay healthy,
Arjen"

It's so great and humble of Arjen to answer fan questions. Now I understand the story way more better.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2680 on: July 25, 2020, 09:17:18 AM »
That's pretty f'n cool - both the answer itself, and the fact he so graciously did respond.  Now I really want to listen to The Source and 01011001 back-to-back - which I've done a few times.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2681 on: July 25, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »
That's pretty f'n cool - both the answer itself, and the fact he so graciously did respond.  Now I really want to listen to The Source and 01011001 back-to-back - which I've done a few times.

Yeah it's neat, hearing the similarities in the vocal deliveries. It's how I wondered if Tommy is Jonas Renskes character, his delivery is soft and a calming tone, yet releases a burst in the form of a growl.

James LaBrie could be Tom Englund
Russel Allen------Jorn Lande
Tommy Karevik------Daniel Gildenlow
Tobias Sammet-----Steve Lee
Simone Simons-----Anneke Van Giersbergen

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2682 on: July 25, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
I ended up asking Arjen, "I have a question I wanted to ask about the connection between The Source and 01. Are the forevers played by Floor and Hansi still the same characters  played in 01, and If the other guests are playing those same characters in 01?"

He responded:

"Yes indeed they are, Benjamin, good question! And basically the forever have become a 'collective' through the centuries, just like the Borg in Star Trek

Stay healthy,
Arjen"

It's so great and humble of Arjen to answer fan questions. Now I understand the story way more better.

Very cool that he answers questions like these, and thanks for sharing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2683 on: July 26, 2020, 08:57:11 PM »
The Theory of Everything should be next on your list.

Been jamming to this one for the past coupe days.  :tup   Really like it a lot! This is such a fun band to listen to.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
That is a good way to assess Ayreon. The music is complex, diverse; the albums are long and tell complicated stories... but in the end it is just fun to listen to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2685 on: July 26, 2020, 09:01:33 PM »
That is a good way to assess Ayreon. The music is complex, diverse; the albums are long and tell complicated stories... but in the end it is just fun to listen to.

I’m so late to this band there is just SO much music. But it’s a blast to listen to because of the story being told lyrically and the music is really awesome to absorb.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: July 26, 2020, 09:17:36 PM »
I am late to Ayreon too, got in to them post-0101 off their 3CD Greatest Hits set, which was joy from start to finish. One of the best "best-of" collection sets I've come across. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2687 on: July 26, 2020, 09:59:39 PM »
For fans here who enjoy 01011001, did you come into the band around the time of that album's release? For me, I found them around the time The Human Equation came out, and then worked my way back through the previous albums and loved them ALL (yes, even Actual Fantasy).

When 01 came out, though, it didn't click with me, and for a very long time, it was far below the others for me. Then The Theory Of Everything came out and I loved that one - maybe it was the proggier nature of the album, with some fantastic guest soloists and a great cast, but it felt like a return to form to me after the middling 01.

Since then, after The Source and the several live albums, I've revisited 01 (especially listening to it after The Source), and I've grown to like it a bit more, but I'd say it's still kind of low of my list compared to the likes of THE, ITEC, the UM duology, and even TFE.

With all that in mind, I've gone out of my way to avoid listening to the singles for Transitus, so I can remain as fresh on the material as possible. I've also tried hard not to burn myself out on re-listens of the material before the lead-up to the new album. Typically, before a new album comes out, I'll wait til a week or two before its release date to "gear up" for it by listening to the previous albums, but if I start too early, I risk burning myself out on the artist. Thankfully, there's a LOT of Ayreon/Arjen-related music out there that I can take my time and revisit the discography in the coming weeks and feel OK listening to them.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2688 on: July 26, 2020, 10:04:37 PM »

I’m so late to this band there is just SO much music. But it’s a blast to listen to because of the story being told lyrically and the music is really awesome to absorb.

I think you need to see The Theater Equation. The Live production of The Human Equation.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2689 on: July 26, 2020, 10:14:09 PM »

I think you need to see The Theater Equation. The Live production of The Human Equation.

:metal

Easily one of the best live productions of any rock opera I've ever seen (not that I've seen a lot, but it was *really* good IMO). Most of the cast of THE return, and they all perform in costume and the set looks fantastic. Definitely watch this before the Electric Castle Live show, though, as I think the latter steps things up a bit, so I feel like one might expect more of Theater Equation if they see Electric Castle Live first. Funny enough, I've had the itch to re-watch Theater Equation recently, so I just may have to do that soon!

-Marc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: July 28, 2020, 08:57:36 PM »
For fans here who enjoy 01011001, did you come into the band around the time of that album's release? For me, I found them around the time The Human Equation came out, and then worked my way back through the previous albums and loved them ALL (yes, even Actual Fantasy).

I got in to the band based off the greatest hits set, which was released after 01011001. So my initial exposure was a few songs from all their albums up through that one. I liked every single song on that collection, and loved a handful of them. I liked the set of songs from 01011001 the most. When I dug in to each album individually, I still seemed to like 01 the most.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: July 28, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »

When 01 came out, though, it didn't click with me, and for a very long time, it was far below the others for me. Then The Theory Of Everything came out and I loved that one - maybe it was the proggier nature of the album, with some fantastic guest soloists and a great cast, but it felt like a return to form to me after the middling 01.

Since then, after The Source and the several live albums, I've revisited 01 (especially listening to it after The Source), and I've grown to like it a bit more, but I'd say it's still kind of low of my list compared to the likes of THE, ITEC, the UM duology, and even TFE.

With all that in mind, I've gone out of my way to avoid listening to the singles for Transitus, so I can remain as fresh on the material as possible. I've also tried hard not to burn myself out on re-listens of the material before the lead-up to the new album. Typically, before a new album comes out, I'll wait til a week or two before its release date to "gear up" for it by listening to the previous albums, but if I start too early, I risk burning myself out on the artist. Thankfully, there's a LOT of Ayreon/Arjen-related music out there that I can take my time and revisit the discography in the coming weeks and feel OK listening to them.

-Marc.

I'm on board with pretty much all of this (except for TTOE commentary ... still rate that one relatively low).  My biggest beef with 01 still remains that there are too many singers, and many of them are highly under-utilized.  Plus, there are a couple of tunes that are (lyrically) cringe-worthy, and as a result, quite possibly the worst songs in the Ayreon discography.  Web of Lies and Connect The Dots, I'm looking at you.  :alwayswatching:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2692 on: July 28, 2020, 10:26:33 PM »
I'll defend the lyrics to Web Of Lies (though musically it's meh), but I admit that I cringe when I hear Connect The Dots.

My bigger issue with both of them is that they don't really connect to the rest of the story. They awkwardly jump to a point ahead & then go right back to where they left off in the next track.

But I love the album outside of those songs, so whatever. :dunno:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2693 on: July 29, 2020, 03:02:32 AM »
Wasn't that however made on purpouse? I mean, it's not like Arjen was bored or had a creative brain fart and churned out those lyrics last minute while sitting on the toilet, the cringey lyrics higlighting the naivetè of Simone's character and the utter mediocrity of the avearage boring guy were exactly what was wanted for those songs.

Not that this makes those lyrics suddenly beautiful, but as I said, I understood that it was precisely the point the lyrics needed to make.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:48:42 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2694 on: July 29, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »
Can't say I was ever bothered by those songs. In fact, I enjoy them.

And I feel the same about the lyrics as MirrorMask. Look, Arjen isn't an amazing wordsmith by any means, but the straighforward lyrics do often clearly evoke what he intends, and that never bothered me.