Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 376144 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (ItEC LIVE Announced)
« Reply #2590 on: June 24, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »
Arjen revealed the cover on Facebook today. I think it's one of the worst Ayreon album covers  :lol
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2684065668540091
I loved those paintings like on 01011001.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2591 on: June 24, 2020, 09:11:42 AM »
Arjen revealed the cover on Facebook today. I think it's one of the worst Ayreon album covers  :lol
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2684065668540091
I loved those paintings like on 01011001.

It is the worst, probably. Not offensively ugly or anything,  just the logo with some vague background stuff. And while logo covers can look good, this one is just not very visually pleasing to me.

I do enjoy the typical comicbook vibe of the comic book (and the cover of that one), kind of hoping that the earbook edition will integrate the comic book and have that cover.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2592 on: June 24, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
Yeah, also not a fan. The Source was a stepdown in terms of covers (TTOE is one of my favourite covers ever, not only by Ayreon but ever), and this is another step down. Comic book looks cool though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2593 on: June 24, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »
Uneventful is all I can say.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2594 on: June 24, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »
It reminds me of a Sci-Fi movie poster.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2595 on: June 25, 2020, 04:16:22 AM »
Pre-orders are available, & the bandcamp page has two new songs available to listen right now!

https://ayreon.bandcamp.com/album/transitus
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2596 on: June 25, 2020, 04:21:48 AM »
I like it for the simple fact that it's diffrent from all the other Ayreon artwork, it reflects that this is a new Ayreon chapter. That's atleast how I see it, however I also like other Ayreon artworks better.

Ayreon - Transitus (Album Trailer)
 :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2597 on: June 25, 2020, 04:45:38 AM »
 :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2598 on: June 25, 2020, 07:48:32 AM »
Will pre-order the vinyl edition. I actually think the base version, red, looks the best.

Cool to see that the earbook includes a CD with the guide vocals, that is a nice idea.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2599 on: June 25, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »
No Ed Warby?

Huh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: June 25, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »
PRESS RELEASE:

AYREON ANNOUNCES GLOBAL RELEASE OF NEW STUDIO ALBUM
'TRANSITUS'

New Studio Album: Transitus
Released: 25th September 2020
Via: Music Theories Recordings

Featuring guest performances from; Tom Baker (Doctor Who), Simone Simons (Epica), Dee Snider (Twisted Sister), Tommy Karevik (Kamelot), Joe Satriani, Marty Friedman + more

Watch the album trailer here: https://youtu.be/X2PidKn4IbA

Ayreon will be releasing a brand-new sprawling and epic studio album ‘Transitus,’ on 25th September via Music Theories Recordings. The album will be available on 2CD, 2LP gatefold red transparent vinyl and a 48-page Earbook which includes 5 discs; 2CD album, 1CD instrumental versions, 1CD guide vocal versions, and a DVD with bonus footage which includes a behind the scenes video, a videoclip, trailer and a 5.1 audio and hi-def stereo mix of the album. The release will be accompanied by a 28-page graphic novel which will be included in the Earbook as well as the 2LP. The physical pre-order will launch on June 25, where digital will go live on July 16.

In 2017 Ayreon released ‘The Source,’ which revisited the ‘Forever/Planet Y’ saga, but now three years later it is time for something completely different…

“The year is 1884, these are dark, troubled times, fraught with greed, envy and prejudice…” begins our narrator and storyteller, Tom Baker…

‘Transitus’ is built around an entirely new story, not connected to the Ayreon universe although as always it does have some subtle links. The sci-fi theme makes way for a gothic ghost story set (partly) in the 19th century with elements of horror and the supernatural. It’s on a dark thunderous night where our story of Abby and Daniel begins.

From the mastermind of Dutch multi-instrumentalist Arjen Lucassen, Transitus is inspired by supernatural movies such as The Others, The Changeling and Ghost along with the music of soundtrack composers John Carpenter (Halloween), Ennio Morricone (Once upon a Time in the West) and Jerry Goldsmith (Omen). “And of course I revisited all my favourite rock operas such as JC Superstar, Tommy, War of the Worlds and the Wall,” Lucassen adds.

‘Transitus’ is narrated by one of the most iconic and recognizable voices in sci-fi history, most known from his eight-year stint as Doctor Who, Tom Baker. “I was looking for a real storyteller with a mature, deep, warm voice. As a kid, I was a huge Doctor Who fan and my favourite doctor was Tom Baker. I couldn’t believe my luck when he agreed to do it! We went to the UK to record him, and it was one of those unforgettable experiences.”

As with any Ayreon album, it is an explosive and expansive affair and features Tommy Karevik (Kamelot) as Daniel and Cammie Gilbert (Oceans of Slumber) as Abby. The all-star cast also features Simone Simons (Epica), Dee Snider (Twisted Sister), Joe Satriani, Marty Friedman, Johanne James (Threshold), Noa Gruman (Scardust), Marcela Bovio (MaYan), Caroline Westendorp (The Charm the Fury), Paul Manzi (Arena), Michael Mills (Toehider) and Amanda Somerville (Avantasia, Trilium) amongst many others.

“When I started this I just had no idea that it was going to take me this long! It took about 3 years from start to finish, and it pushed me out of my comfort zone musically and creatively. But I always need that challenge, the harder it is, the more fun for me to work on it!” comments Lucassen.

Like many people of his era, it was hearing The Beatles and Pink Floyd that sparked Lucassen’s youthful musical imagination. And in turn, it was hearing Ritchie Blackmore’s incendiary performance on Deep Purple’s ‘Made In Japan’ album that made him want to pick up the guitar. From then, there were several early musical forays before his first big break came in 1980 when he joined Dutch metal band Bodine. Four years later he was poached by fellow metallers Vengeance, where he stayed for eight years and four studio albums, before deciding to try things his way.

It was the Ayreon albums, centered on conceptual themes from their creator’s vast imagination that began to attract the attention of a burgeoning audience interested in new progressive sounds. Having set out his stall with the first two Ayreon albums ‘The Final Experiment’ (1995) and ‘Actual Fantasy’ (1996), it was 1998’s ‘Into The Electric Castle’ where Lucassen began what is now his standard MO of working with an array of popular artists from the prog and metal worlds, namely Fish, Anneke van Giersbergen, Sharon den Adel, Edward Reekers, Damian Wilson, Thijs van Leer, Ton Scherpenzeel and Clive Nolan. This was the masterstroke that would bring his musical vision the wider acclaim he so clearly sought.

Since then, Lucassen has hardly looked back. The two-part ‘Universal Migrator’ albums, released in 2000, saw the likes of Bruce Dickinson, Floor Jansen, Russell Allen and Neal Morse join the ever-impressive list of musicians featured on Ayreon albums. Later on he would add such luminaries as Mikael Akerfeldt, Devin Townsend, Steve Hackett, Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman on albums like ‘The Human Equation’ (2004), ‘01011001’ (2008), ‘The Theory Of Everything’ (2012) and “The Source” (2017).

He launched the more reflective, Celtic flavoured Ambeon project with the album ‘Fate Of A Dreamer’ in 2001. The prog metal meets space rock of Star One saw the light of day in 2002 with ‘Space Metal’. His next side project was putting together Stream Of Passion, who released ‘Embrace The Storm’ in 2005. In 2009 Lucassen’s Guilt Machine released their sole album, ‘On This Perfect Day.’ He even found time in 2012 to release a second solo album, ‘Lost In The New Real’, and his Gentle Storm project with Anneke van Giersbergen released ‘The Diary’ in 2015.

Through all the extravaganzas that flow through his discography, Transitus is Lucassen’s most ambitious work yet, “This is without a doubt the most cinematic and outrageous album I’ve ever done,” he affirms.

Continuing he adds; “I always start with finding singers first before I write the vocal parts, because I write the parts specifically for their vocal strengths. Because I was going for a theatrical feel for this album, this time I picked the singers not just because they are amazing singers, but because they had a certain charisma and were able to act. “

‘Transitus’ is accompanied by an amazing graphic novel drawn by the renowned artist Felix Vega. “Because Ayreon’s music is so visual, I’ve always wanted to do an Ayreon graphic novel/comic book,” he says.

Although best known as a studio-based musician, Lucassen slowly countered his fear of performing live when he first joined long-time collaborator Anneke van Giersbergen for some live dates in 2015, before tackling the more elaborate theatre staging of his 2004 Ayreon album ‘The Human Equation’ in Rotterdam over four nights the same year (on which he served as special advisor). He went even further in 2017 when he appeared on stage with his star-studded ‘Ayreon Universe’ shows at Tilburg’s 013. ‘Electric Castle Live And Other Tales’ followed in March 2020, the set of last year’s spectacular live performance of the third Ayreon album ‘Into The Electric Castle’. Over four nights at Tilburg’s 013 venue (the scene of Lucassen’s Ayreon Universe series of live shows in 2017) Lucassen, his band and one of modern progressive music’s most emphatic of casts celebrated the 20th anniversary of ‘Into the Electric Castle’ in front of 12,000 adoring fans from 64 different countries who had flown in from around the world.

Reflecting on the approach to ‘Transitus’ he says, “I love my last Ayreon album ‘The Source’. I often say that it sounds so much like Ayreon... if someone else would have released it I could have sued them for copyright infringement and won easily! But “our genre” is called progressive, which for me means breaking new ground and experimenting musically. So in the true prog spirit, I set out to try something entirely different than a “typical Ayreon,” I wanted to do something more theatrical, almost like a musical.“

CD 1
01. Fatum Horrificum (A] Graveyard, B] 1884, C] Daniel And Abby, D] Fatum, E] Why?!, F] Guilty)
02. Daniel’s Descent Into Transitus
03. Listen To My Story
04. Two Worlds Now One
05. Talk Of The Town
06. Old Friend
07. Dumb Piece Of Rock
08. Get Out! Now!
09. Seven Days, Seven Nights

CD 2:
01. Condemned Without A Trial
02. Daniel’s Funeral
03. Hopelessly Slipping Away
04. This Human Equation.
05. Henry’s Plot
06. Message From Beyond
07. Daniel’s Vision
08. She Is Innocent
09. Lavinia’s Confession
10. Inferno
11. Your Story Is Over!
12. Abby In Transitus
13. The Great Beyond

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2601 on: June 25, 2020, 09:36:24 AM »
I haven’t really liked an Ayreon album since 2008, but I’m always hopeful that we’ll get another gem like The Dream Sequencer or Into the Electric Castle, so let’s see how this goes. ;)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2602 on: June 25, 2020, 09:41:56 AM »
‘Transitus’ is built around an entirely new story, not connected to the Ayreon universe although as always it does have some subtle links.

CD 2:

04. This Human Equation

Subtle links :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2603 on: June 25, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »
Sucks about the DVD not being included in the 2CD edition. I'm a big fan of Arjen's documentaries.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2604 on: June 25, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »
"But what do I know? I'm just some dumb piece of rock."

I wonder what song that is...

And I'm guessing the Dee Snider track is Get Out! Now!

Gonna order the earbook as usual with Ayreon.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2605 on: June 25, 2020, 09:20:10 PM »
I heard some Digital Rain in that trailer. I too haven't really liked anything from Ayreon since 2008. 100101101 (was I close) was his last great work to me. I'm selective with Ayreon though. THE took a long time to click, and ITEC has about five songs I go back to. Very spotty.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2606 on: June 25, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »

It is.

Check the Bandcamp page I linked earlier & you can hear the full song now.

Edit: Oh nevermind. The new songs got taken off the page. That's weird. :|

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2607 on: June 25, 2020, 09:55:31 PM »

It is.

I did check out the bandcamp page when I saw your post, and was sad when I saw nothing on it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2608 on: June 25, 2020, 10:20:31 PM »

It is.

I did check out the bandcamp page when I saw your post, and was sad when I saw nothing on it.

It must have been an error in management, but I swear the page said "listen to two new songs available now" so I assumed that the songs being there was intentional. Maybe those two songs were supposed to be released as singles eventually but not now? I don't know, but I swear they were there last night when I checked. The songs were Get Out Now & Hopelessly Slipping Away.

No matter. I recorded them off the page so now I have them for myself (albeit in awful quality). ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2609 on: June 25, 2020, 10:37:27 PM »
Hopelessly Slipping Away reminds me of a Dream Theater song lyric. I don't think it is one, but it's almost close.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2610 on: June 25, 2020, 10:44:13 PM »
Hopelessly Slipping Away reminds me of a Dream Theater song lyric. I don't think it is one, but it's almost close.

Maybe you're thinking of "A Nightmare To Remember"?
"Hopelessly drifting
Bathing in beautiful agony
I am endlessly falling
Lost in this wonderful misery"

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2611 on: July 01, 2020, 09:07:14 AM »
Arjen reveals the album's drummer in a new video!
https://youtu.be/M_t9JE1YUdg

Also, maybe we should update the thread title?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2612 on: July 01, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
He says he wanted to do something completely different, but from the teasers I've heard it sounds just like what you'd expect an Ayreon album to sound.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2613 on: July 01, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »
I'm all for switching out the sound though, I love Ed but to keep it fresh it's good to work with other muscians to get a diffrent perspective. I'm sure Juan is a great session drummer but the drumming didn't excite me in the video sadly. Then again he's probably a drummer that serves the music and whatever artist he's working with. So i'm interested to hear the final mix.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: July 01, 2020, 12:44:14 PM »
Given my love for Star One, and all the live stuff, I come to think of / hear Ed as indispensable to Ayreon as Joost is.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2615 on: July 02, 2020, 03:08:49 AM »
Do you'll think that Arjen is writing Transitus to suite a possible stageproduction?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2616 on: July 03, 2020, 07:50:47 AM »
Watched the Electric Castle live Blue-ray in surround sound last night...holy smokes.  Pretty awesome.  His stuff always sounds great on record, but I couldn't get over how great the live mix sounded.  You could hear every instrument clearly pretty much at all times, which is impressive considering how many are going at any given time on many occasions.  The singers all did a great job, and I will admit to getting major goosebumps when Anneke came out for her first chorus in Isis and Osiris. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

It took me a few songs to figure out, but I was watching and thinking, "I know that guy playing the narrator looks like an actor I've seen somewhere."  It then hit me that he looked like Jane's dad from Breaking Bad, so I looked it up, and sure enough it was him!  :lol :lol

From the Other Tales, I enjoyed Out in the Real World the most.  More Marcela Bovio lead vocals, please.  Her voice is heavenly.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:16:56 AM by KevShmev »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: July 03, 2020, 08:04:43 AM »
Really?!?! ... isn’t John de Lancie better known as Q? And  in the context of ITEC, an omnipotent stellar entity makes more sense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2618 on: July 03, 2020, 08:15:24 AM »
I never watched Star Trek (I had to look up who Q was), so I wouldn't have recognized him from that.

I also didn't expect Arjen to look so old.  I know he is pushing 60, but dude looks old. :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: July 03, 2020, 08:24:10 AM »
I watched Breaking Bad and I didn't even recognize him in that role. :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: July 03, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »
Do you'll think that Arjen is writing Transitus to suite a possible stageproduction?

Sure hope so.... I saw the Electric Castle and Other Stories in Tillburg last year and it was up there as one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Would be great to see the latest album next year.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2621 on: July 03, 2020, 08:42:38 AM »
Jane's father, oh wow I remember him know. I actually didn't make that connection. He's so great as a narrator.

Watched the Electric Castle live Blue-ray in surround sound last night...holy smokes.  Pretty awesome.  His stuff always sounds great on record, but I couldn't get over how great the live mix sounded.  You could hear every instrument clearly pretty much at all times, which is impressive considering how many are going at any given time on many occasions.
Yea enough cannot be said about the audiomix, it's so crisp! It would've been interesting hearing the pre-mix for comparison. I guess the livemix is on a pretty high standard which makes the mixing and mastering afterward much easier.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2622 on: July 03, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
It's always heartening to to see modern artists who still care about making their albums sounds really good.

I also thought it was a great decision at the end of the EC performance to have all of the singers, even the ones playing the characters who didn't survive the story, sing the Another Time, Another Space.  I can't remember if they all sang it like that on the original album or if it was just the surviving characters.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2623 on: July 03, 2020, 02:25:02 PM »
It's always heartening to to see modern artists who still care about making their albums sounds really good.

I also thought it was a great decision at the end of the EC performance to have all of the singers, even the ones playing the characters who didn't survive the story, sing the Another Time, Another Space.  I can't remember if they all sang it like that on the original album or if it was just the surviving characters.

I believe it was just The Hippie and The Futureman signing the chorus after their 2 verse, and possibly just them after The Roman and The Knight sing their verses.
What's even more special than getting everyone back on stage for the final double chorus was getting Fish back out for his own double verse, which wasn't on the original album! So cool that Arjen let him come back out for one more spot, and another reason why the live version feels so special and definitive!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2624 on: July 04, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »

I believe it was just The Hippie and The Futureman signing the chorus after their 2 verse, and possibly just them after The Roman and The Knight sing their verses.
What's even more special than getting everyone back on stage for the final double chorus was getting Fish back out for his own double verse, which wasn't on the original album! So cool that Arjen let him come back out for one more spot, and another reason why the live version feels so special and definitive!

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

Seeing the concert was a reminder of how great that album is from start to finish. Even though it is a bit top-loaded (I think most of the best songs are on Disc 1, and I still say Isis and Osiris and Amazing Flight are possibly the two best Ayreon songs), Disc 2 is very strong as well, Evil Devolution being the one skipper for me.