Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382915 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (ItEC LIVE Announced)
« Reply #2555 on: May 27, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
The beginning reminded me of Sfogli, the middle-end of Vai.
The beginning reminded me of JP, Sfogli's guitar twin :D Would love to hear Sfogli on more stuff.
Haha, yeah. But somehow, I don't think JP would do it. Does he ever do guest spots? At least I don't remember any, which is why I assumed Sfogli.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2556 on: May 27, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »
The beginning reminded me of JP, Sfogli's guitar twin :D Would love to hear Sfogli on more stuff.
Haha, yeah. But somehow, I don't think JP would do it. Does he ever do guest spots? At least I don't remember any, which is why I assumed Sfogli.

I only remember his guest solo on a Periphery song.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2557 on: May 27, 2020, 12:18:57 PM »
JP has also played in a Derek Sherinian solo album. Snippet sounds like JP playing. My 2nd guess would be Steve Vai.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2558 on: May 27, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »

JP did a guest solo on the first Explorers Club album, Age Of Impact.

He was also on Jordan Rudess' album Wired For Madness. Also appeared on the Bryan Beller album Scenes From The Flood. And that's just from looking at the last two pages of his writing/performances credits on his discogs page.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2559 on: May 28, 2020, 04:19:50 AM »
Well, it was Satriani after all.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2560 on: May 28, 2020, 05:25:16 AM »
That's awesome!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2561 on: June 02, 2020, 07:25:53 AM »
Dianne does great operatic vocals, but I do hope she will be utilized for more. And

Johannes from Threshold was very unexpected, but the samples sound really nice! I'll be honest, I think I prefer his voice to their actual current singer based on that. Is there more material of his singing out there? (Not saying he is a better singer than Glenn btw, sometimes someones tone just resonates with you and other times not).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2562 on: June 02, 2020, 09:06:36 AM »
Johanne, no s, and Glynn. :)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2563 on: June 02, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
Dianne does great operatic vocals, but I do hope she will be utilized for more. And

Johannes from Threshold was very unexpected, but the samples sound really nice! I'll be honest, I think I prefer his voice to their actual current singer based on that. Is there more material of his singing out there? (Not saying he is a better singer than Glenn btw, sometimes someones tone just resonates with you and other times not).

I know that he sings in his own band Kyrb Grinder, but I have no idea where to find their stuff (didn't do any research though I have to admit). Here is one video by them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMyFhzbyDg
The song is nothing special, but he is really a good singer! I wonder why he doesn't sing so much in Threshold.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2564 on: June 04, 2020, 08:23:03 AM »
From Arjen...

Oh yes, the lovely and talented Simone Simons is back, singing on the new Ayreon album! And this time... she’s the Angel of Death :-)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2565 on: June 04, 2020, 08:44:15 AM »
From Arjen...

Oh yes, the lovely and talented Simone Simons is back, singing on the new Ayreon album! And this time... she’s the Angel of Death :-)

-Marc.

She can kill me any time she wants. <3
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2566 on: June 06, 2020, 07:12:28 AM »
Wow Dee Snider!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2567 on: June 06, 2020, 07:15:00 AM »
Yea! That was really surprising. A very cool addition.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2568 on: June 06, 2020, 07:25:36 AM »
You could tell his voice right away.

Hope it's not just one song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2569 on: June 16, 2020, 11:12:50 AM »
In a reply to a post Arjen made this morning (regarding the reveal of Caroline Westendorp and Marcela Bovio playing "The Furies" on Transitus), he says that pre-sales will start NEXT WEEK for the new album.

I may have to go all in and get the earbook this time. The last few Arjen-related earbooks have been fantastic!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2570 on: June 22, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »
Arjen has released an image of the track listing for Transitus!

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Ayreon/comments/hdpwji/transitus_tracklist/

-Marc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2571 on: June 22, 2020, 08:45:09 AM »
Not a big fan of the descriptive titles like "Daniel's Descent Into Transitus" but I trust Arjen. Even if the lyrical content is more in the realm of "oh no I can't believe you're falling for this loser" and "doom, gloom, the world goes boom" I'm fine with it too, at least it'll be fun.

Excited for this!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2572 on: June 22, 2020, 08:47:50 AM »
I just bought "010101001" (from a friend here) and man, I'm just.... I already had and liked The Source and The Human Equation, but this really resonated.  I really dig the way Arjen weaves the voices in and out.   It seemed so much like a gimmick when I first got introduced to Ayreon, but it's not.  Maybe it has soemthing to do with the initial listen had James LaBrie on there (who I obviously love from Dream Theater) but while I know most of the singers, I'm not invested in their main work as much so it's not jarring.   But on this it sounds so good.

By the way, I seem to remember some talk about Jorn Lande, and I don't remember it being all favorable, but man, his voice is golden and smooth; I thought it was David Coverdale when I first heard it here.   And with Anneke, one of my favorites, on "Comatose", it's perfect.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2573 on: June 22, 2020, 08:50:16 AM »
I just bought "010101001" (from a friend here) and man, I'm just.... I already had and liked The Source and The Human Equation, but this really resonated.  I really dig the way Arjen weaves the voices in and out.   It seemed so much like a gimmick when I first got introduced to Ayreon, but it's not.  Maybe it has soemthing to do with the initial listen had James LaBrie on there (who I obviously love from Dream Theater) but while I know most of the singers, I'm not invested in their main work as much so it's not jarring.   But on this it sounds so good.

By the way, I seem to remember some talk about Jorn Lande, and I don't remember it being all favorable, but man, his voice is golden and smooth; I thought it was David Coverdale when I first heard it here.   And with Anneke, one of my favorites, on "Comatose", it's perfect.

That was probably Tim posting several times :lol or Katt, I forgot who of them thinks Jorn is the most boring singer ever :biggrin:

I love Jorn Lande and his duets with Floor on Liquid Eternity (I'M LOSING MY REASONS TO LIVE, THE ESSENCE OF LIFE) and Beneath the Waves (BENEATH THE WAVES WE WERE INVINCIBLE) are among my top Ayreon moments. Also yeah, Jorn is really channeling Coverdale on Comatose.

I love 01011001. I would maybe cut three or four songs from it, but otherwise it's excellent.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2574 on: June 22, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
My only beef with 0101 is that he has too many singers, and only a couple of them really get the chance to shine.  Most of them are horribly under-utilized, simply because he used so many.  The highs of that album are very high, but the lows are also very low.

Stads... hit up Into the Electric Castle next.

Thank me later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2575 on: June 22, 2020, 09:53:01 AM »
My only beef with 0101 is that he has too many singers, and only a couple of them really get the chance to shine.  Most of them are horribly under-utilized, simply because he used so many.  The highs of that album are very high, but the lows are also very low.

Thank me later.

I love 0101 but I agree that a few of them really got the shaft.

I also think the production is a bit flat, but I mostly love the album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2576 on: June 22, 2020, 10:17:13 AM »

Definitely check out the Jorn Lande material out there. If you like Coverdale and Dio, I think he is up your alley. He really shines in Ark "Burn the Sun",Jorn "Out to Every Nation", and Beyond Twilight's "The Devil's Hall of Fame".

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2577 on: June 22, 2020, 11:18:49 AM »

I felt like this with The Source too.  I think that one was worse than 1001001 SOS as far as too many singers getting too little time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2578 on: June 22, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
See, I'm not invested in the singers as much, because with a few exceptions, I don't know them (Floor was the only singer I could identify by sound right out the gate and that was only because her style is so... over the top).   I mean, I wish Anneke sang more, but it's all flavor and seasoning.   I just love the melodies on that record.   "We are dying for tomorrow, we are living for today" gives me chills, both when Ty and Arjen sing it, and later when Merjam and Arjen sing it.  I don't know her, but I love that balance and contrast of the female singer (that applies to the entire record).   

And it goes without saying that my unreasonable school-boy crush on Anneke continues unabated!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2579 on: June 22, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
I don't mind it in 01. It is this grand scale end of the saga kind of album and a lot of the songs are not really personal, having such a cast fits it. And I do think the singers are used greatly.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2580 on: June 22, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »
See, I'm not invested in the singers as much, because with a few exceptions, I don't know them (Floor was the only singer I could identify by sound right out the gate and that was only because her style is so... over the top).   I mean, I wish Anneke sang more, but it's all flavor and seasoning.   I just love the melodies on that record.   "We are dying for tomorrow, we are living for today" gives me chills, both when Ty and Arjen sing it, and later when Merjam and Arjen sing it.  I don't know her, but I love that balance and contrast of the female singer (that applies to the entire record).   

That's interesting - I think that's my least or second least favorite track on the album.  I don't dislike the lyrics, but the vocals have always kind of turned me off.  But in general I really like this album.  The Human Equation is still my favorite but this one is next.   What are some of your other stand out tracks? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2581 on: June 22, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »

That's interesting - I think that's my least or second least favorite track on the album.  I don't dislike the lyrics, but the vocals have always kind of turned me off.  But in general I really like this album.  The Human Equation is still my favorite but this one is next.   What are some of your other stand out tracks?

Comatose is one, certainly; Ride The Comet is another.  I have to go back and see what the titles are.  I'm not 100% sure what the parts I like are called.   

Waking Dreams is another one. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:05:14 PM by Stadler »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2582 on: June 22, 2020, 03:10:42 PM »

I instantly fell in love with Anneke's voice when the 'We Are Forever' in Age of Shadows began.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2583 on: June 22, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
01011001 is actually one of my favorite Ayreon albums. I think it's true that some of the vocalists don't really get much time to shine (compare Bob Catley here versus in Avantasia), but musically I think it might be the best he's ever done.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2584 on: June 22, 2020, 09:28:36 PM »

Comatose is one, certainly; Ride The Comet is another.  I have to go back and see what the titles are.  I'm not 100% sure what the parts I like are called.   

Waking Dreams is my favorite. :) I like Comatose a lot as well.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2585 on: June 23, 2020, 03:15:45 AM »

Waking Dreams is my favorite.

No big surprise there :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2586 on: June 23, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »
 :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2587 on: June 24, 2020, 08:33:56 AM »
According to Arjen-

And finally... the Transitus album front cover! Designed and animated by the mighty David Letelier, logo by Thomas Ewerhard. The dramatic music you are hearing is part of the track ‘Fatum’ and features the majestic Hellscore Choir conducted by Noa Gruman.

Tomorrow the pre-sales start!

-Marc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2588 on: June 24, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »
Thus far this album seems right up my alley (I mean, Ayreon in general is just that, but I really love all the teasers thus far).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2589 on: June 24, 2020, 08:42:07 AM »

Thank me later.

Don't have to tell me twice; I found a copy on Discogs and will be pulling the trigger as soon as I hear back from the Seller.