Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 381138 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (ItEC LIVE Announced)
« Reply #2275 on: October 27, 2018, 09:35:44 PM »
Booked a Hotel for the 15th.... the rooms in Tillburg are selling out so anyone who needs one get booking

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2276 on: October 27, 2018, 10:54:12 PM »
Booked a Hotel for the 15th.... the rooms in Tillburg are selling out so anyone who needs one get booking

They’re selling out a year in advance?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #2277 on: October 27, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
cities nearby like Breda/eindhoven/den bosch are also good options for hotels. NL isn't big, and public transportation is excellent.  Besides that, Tilburg is a horrible city XD

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #2278 on: October 27, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

They’re selling out a year in advance?

considering last time there were over 50 nationalities coming to the shows, it makes sense that booking hotels for those dates is going fast.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: October 28, 2018, 12:26:57 AM »
cities nearby like Breda/eindhoven/den bosch are also good options for hotels. NL isn't big, and public transportation is excellent.  Besides that, Tilburg is a horrible city XD

How horrible is Tillburg?
Planning on staying one night in Amsterdam before going to Tillburg, do you think I should stay the concert evening in Amsterdam too?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2280 on: October 28, 2018, 02:18:55 AM »
If you ask me, Breda is a much nicer town and nearby. But Tilburg has it's charm and there is plenty to do. Lots of nice cafes/restaurants (close to 013) and a good shopping centre.

As someone who lives in Amsterdam, on the day of the concert, I would personally prefer to be relatively nearby in time to prevent any issues with public transport. But I think you'll be fine either way.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: October 28, 2018, 04:53:29 AM »
Absolutely no surprise at hotels and Airbnbs selling out in Tilburg. If you intend to go to the show and want to stay in Tilburg so you don't have to catch a train after the show, book something now. I started searching for a flat in June last time and had to stay in Breda. Everything in Tilburg was already booked.

Breda is a nice little town, I enjoyed it a lot. I'm staying in Tilburg this time to explore it. Apparently my Airbnb includes a free bike that I can use, so I'm going to maybe bike down to La Trappe abbey, and overall just bike the hell out of the town and the countryside, as I'll be arriving on Tuesday.

Also, apparently all the shows are sold out now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2282 on: October 28, 2018, 10:40:53 AM »
Absolutely no surprise at hotels and Airbnbs selling out in Tilburg. If you intend to go to the show and want to stay in Tilburg so you don't have to catch a train after the show, book something now. I started searching for a flat in June last time and had to stay in Breda. Everything in Tilburg was already booked.

Breda is a nice little town, I enjoyed it a lot. I'm staying in Tilburg this time to explore it. Apparently my Airbnb includes a free bike that I can use, so I'm going to maybe bike down to La Trappe abbey, and overall just bike the hell out of the town and the countryside, as I'll be arriving on Tuesday.

La Trappe brewery/abbey is a very nice place, you should definitely check it out if you have the time. You can do a tour and, offcourse, beer tasting. I think for the tour you have to book ahead.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:46:03 AM by ErHaO »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: October 28, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »

La Trappe brewery/abbey is a very nice place, you should definitely check it out if you have the time.

That's my plan for Wednesday! Pretty sure it's going to be great.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2284 on: December 30, 2018, 07:02:37 AM »
So I have tickets to the sunday evening show.
Two of my friends could not go so tried to sell those tickets.
Now I have two more friends who want to go, anyone got tickets to sell?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2285 on: January 10, 2019, 06:01:21 PM »
Joost van den Broek posted on Facebook a few hours ago: "Recording drums for Ayreon with Juan van Emmerloot at Sandlane Recording Facilities ...creating a great detailed, open and alive sound!"

It seems Arjen wanted a different drummer (not Ed) for his next album! One commenter asked where Ed was, and Joost replied "Not this time, Arjen was searching for a different vibe and feel for his next release...Juan turned out to be the perfect guy for the job!"

Has anyone else heard about the follow-up to 2017's The Source? I wasn't even aware that Arjen was working on a new Ayreonalbum at all but was instead preparing for ITEC Live later this year!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2286 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:29 PM »
That's great. One way to change a vibe and sound is through a drummer change.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2287 on: January 11, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »
I could always use some new Ayreon in my life!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:37:24 AM by kaos2900 »

Online Adami

« Reply #2288 on: January 11, 2019, 07:22:52 AM »
New Ayreon already? Weird but welcome!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2289 on: May 06, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
So, it's time for me to finally come to grips with reality, and accept there is zero chance I can make it to the NL for this show  :sadpanda:.  Anyone know of anyone who wants a pair of tix... ideally at face value?  I have them on my ticketmaster profile, and / or pdf copy.  7pm show on the 14th.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #2290 on: May 06, 2019, 01:59:45 PM »
So, it's time for me to finally come to grips with reality, and accept there is zero chance I can make it to the NL for this show  :sadpanda:.  Anyone know of anyone who wants a pair of tix... ideally at face value?  I have them on my ticketmaster profile, and / or pdf copy.  7pm show on the 14th.

DAMN YOU! That's the show I'm going to!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2291 on: May 06, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »
Trust me, I'm pissed.  But, having moved, and dropped a shit-ton of money into renos and improvements ... it just ain't in the cards.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2292 on: May 06, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »

I might know someone interested

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2293 on: May 07, 2019, 08:08:20 AM »

DAMN YOU! That's the show I'm going to!

Hate to pile on the sadness, but along with Chad not being there I will be there.

Hoping we get another Jingle.Concert soon after you're settled Chad!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Adami

« Reply #2294 on: May 07, 2019, 08:16:18 PM »
SERIOUSLY?!??!

So I bought a plane ticket and concert ticket....and all I get to see Ayreon? And Fish, and Anneke, and Damian, and Simone, and John Cuijpers, and Marcela and.....hmmm.....let's call it even.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2295 on: May 07, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
I think you may have missed my joke. ;)
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2296 on: May 07, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »
I wish I lived relatively close to that area, cause I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately that's too soon for me to get a couple of plane tickets and take time off work  :sadpanda:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Adami

« Reply #2297 on: May 08, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »

I did! I was so distraught at Jingle cancelling.

Which date are you going to? 14th? You strike me as someone going to all of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2298 on: May 08, 2019, 03:58:02 PM »
I'm fairly sure Nick is going to all shows except Sunday, if only because I have tickets for the same shows he's going to. :biggrin:

Chad, that sucks. I was looking forward to finally meet you, but I guess that'll have to wait.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2299 on: May 08, 2019, 08:01:38 PM »
Me too comrade. Me too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2300 on: May 08, 2019, 10:26:46 PM »

I did! I was so distraught at Jingle cancelling.

Which date are you going to? 14th? You strike me as someone going to all of them.

This actually got me to look into and book the flights today and solidify full vacation dates with the other half.

Arriving in Amsterdam Sun. Sep. 8. Visiting Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and whatever else pleases us through the first show.

As Evermind said I have tickets for the Thursday dress rehearsal, Friday (VIP), and Saturday (normal). You picked the right day to attend as Saturday is the day the biggest group will be around, myself, Mrs.Nick, Evermind, and several of the local DTFers at least.

Sunday is our anniversary and our final day away as Mon. Sep. 16 we fly out of Amsterdam at 9:15am.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2301 on: May 23, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »
I picked up the Universal Migrator albums today. I have a question about it: Is it the same Colonist inside the Dream Sequencer on both albums? In Part 1, they introduce themselves as "the last of the Mars Colonists", but in Part 2 as "the last human being alive".

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2302 on: May 23, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
I picked up the Universal Migrator albums today. I have a question about it: Is it the same Colonist inside the Dream Sequencer on both albums? In Part 1, they introduce themselves as "the last of the Mars Colonists", but in Part 2 as "the last human being alive".

Yes. Because the One inside the Dream Sequencer is the Last man Alive and the last of the Mars Colonists.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2303 on: May 26, 2019, 05:04:08 AM »
Live stream from the rehearsals in a couple of hours.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2305 on: May 26, 2019, 08:29:52 AM »
Excellent stuff! Watching right now. It's crazy how time flies, only three and a half months until this happens. I really should book the plane tickets next week.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2306 on: May 26, 2019, 10:32:32 AM »
That was neat to see. If only He could do like a paid live stream of one of the shows.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: May 27, 2019, 03:28:31 AM »
That was neat to see. If only He could do like a paid live stream of one of the shows.

Well, the shows on the sunday will be filmed for a BR release  (I will be on the evening show)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2308 on: June 25, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
I love this little solo run in Human See, Human Do:

https://youtu.be/71lNhl2bJlw?t=69

That drum and key run at the end!  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2309 on: June 25, 2019, 10:35:56 AM »
I went back to The Source last night. It's been a long time since I heard it in full. Gotta say it is not a strong album imo. The vocalists do not mash well together although I have to say it's pretty awesome to hear Tobias Sammet and James LaBrie singing back-and-forth together. I get what the album is about but really half the album sounds like a less inspired version of 01011001. I also strongly dislike Mike Mills' over-the-top singing, and Tommy Karevik's graceful malismas just kind of bug me in Ayreon. I think the cast of 01011001 is far better suited for Ayreon. At the very least I would've liked Jorn in there because he really sells every line. Also it annoys me that several songs end the same way, with Floor belting something about carrying on. Also, I prefer how in 01011001 they don't really specifically name things, but in The Source they talk about Sirrah, the Starblade, etc. and it's pretty corny to hear them sing about that imo. Just my two cents. I hope we get another Ayreon album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"