Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 381733 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Ayreon Universe out now)
« Reply #2135 on: May 25, 2018, 01:23:46 AM »
Okay, apparently JLB isn't that tall, I'm 185 cm and I'm far from being the tallest guy around.

@ Fritzinger: cool pic, are you twins or just look alike?

Bonus points for the amazing shirts! :lol

Haha thanks ;)
We're not related, just old friends who happen to look similar :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2136 on: May 27, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
I saw a used copy of Ayreonauts Only and figured "what the hell", since I splurged on a few of the albums a week and a half ago. Picked that up.

For years and years the only Arjen thing I owned was the Guilt Machine album, and I love the heck out of that, so I'm trying to catch up.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2137 on: May 27, 2018, 11:24:07 PM »
That's a nice find! Some great versions on there. I especially liked the version of Temple of the cat.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2138 on: May 27, 2018, 11:53:44 PM »
Yes, some nice alternate takes, not necessarily better than the versions on their respective records but interesting and different. But I'm not sure if this is the perfect starting point to get into Ayreon.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2139 on: May 28, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »
That's a nice find! Some great versions on there. I especially liked the version of Temple of the cat.

Fantastic! I'm not a big enough fan to know a "rare" release when I see one, but it looked like a cool, "fan clubby" thing so I took the opportunity.

Same record store has a few used copies of those Dream Theater bootleg series Portnoy used to put out, but the prices for them are a bit high for me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2140 on: May 29, 2018, 08:21:13 AM »
I think Beyond the Last Horizon and Temple of the Cat are superior. The other tracks are nice or interesting alternate versions. Wouldn't mind Arjen putting out another Ayreonauts in the future. But then again, I am a guy that loves covers, demo's, and alternate versions if done well.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2141 on: May 29, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
I can't stop listening to The Source. I'd love a recording of that album performed in it's entirety.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: June 08, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »
Haven't checked in for a bit. Listened to the Universal Migrator album roughly 3 times apiece. Pretty good. Liked the Pink Floyd vibe in the beginning of Part 1.... and Part two was really good with some amazing vocal performances.

Moved on to 01011001 and I was pretty disappointed. My fault for having this one built up in my head.... but it's a mess vocally. Some great songs on it...... then there's Connect the Dots..... wow.

Just heard The Theory of Everything for the first time the other night. Had low expectations and was completely blown away. It was amazing on first listen.... didn't need repeated spins like THE to grow on me.

Early rankings
T1.  Into the Electric Castle & The Human Equation (Can't decide which one I like better yet... they're both perfect).
3. The Theory of Everything
4. 01011001
5. UM 2
6. UM 1
7. The Final Experiment 

Still Need to Listen to - Actual Fantasy...... and some album called The Source...

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2143 on: June 08, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »
Then you need to move on to the Star One albums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2144 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07:19 AM »
I guess I'm the only person alive who thinks 01011001 ist the best Ayreon album.
any rock can be made to roll

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2145 on: June 08, 2018, 07:21:19 AM »
I guess I'm the only person alive who thinks 01011001 ist the best Ayreon album.

It's a great album full of many memorable songs, maybe I still prefer The Human Equation over it but I will never be surprised at anyone calling it their favorite album. I see no reason why it could never make anyone's top of the list.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: June 08, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »
Oh, I'd like to add that the main theme from TToE is incredible!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: June 16, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »
Alright...I must ask. Did Arjen have daddy issues? Have heard instances of "bad fathers" in three of the Ayreon albums.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2148 on: June 16, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
I am Ayreon novice, but 01 might be my favorite Ayreon album. I have only listened to the Source and TToE a couple times though, compared to the others which have gotten more listens.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2149 on: June 20, 2018, 06:09:45 AM »
Just noticed I don't have the actual fantasy album. Based on what I've read it's the worst album but I was wondering you guys think of it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2150 on: June 20, 2018, 06:29:46 AM »
Nothing by Arjen deserves a classification of "worst"... I'd call it his least best.  It still has some very excellent moments, and I enjoy spinning it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2151 on: June 20, 2018, 06:40:47 AM »
What jingle said. "Worst" somehow gives the impression that it's bad, but it isn't. Some great tunes on there, but on the whole just not as good as other records by Ayreon.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2152 on: June 20, 2018, 12:37:23 PM »
So is anyone going to Graspop? I think Ayreon plays on friday.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2153 on: June 20, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »
What jingle said. "Worst" somehow gives the impression that it's bad, but it isn't. Some great tunes on there, but on the whole just not as good as other records by Ayreon.

Since March of this year, I've been making it a point to listen to bands' full (studio) discographies, on my iPod at home at night as I go to sleep/wake up, and in my car CD player on my daily commutes. Recently, I just started listening to Ayreon in my car, and JUST finished a listen through Actual Fantasy (Revisited) and I have to say, it does hold up pretty well. It doesn't have the grandeur of later Ayreon albums with famous vocal and instrumental guests all over the place, but the music is pretty good, sometimes great, and the Revisited version featured Ed Warby on actual drums, which give the songs a nice feel to them.

I'm with the others - Worst does not equate Least Best. I may be biased as a fan of all-thing-Arjen, but I can at least say that Actual Fantasy is on the bottom of the pile of great albums he's done, and I haven't listened to it nearly as much as anything he made after, though I'd say I enjoy as much, if not more than, as 01 (which I didn't enjoy very much at release, nor have I gone back to it very much since then). If I had to place it anywhere, it'd be above 01 and tied with The Final Experiment for "rankings" of my own, though that's mostly influenced by frequency of play, and those three don't get played often.

For reference, I really only spin 2 Ayreon albums with some decent frequency - The Human Equation, and The Theory Of Everything. Into The Electric Castle is good, but I don't listen to it very often (though it's next on my car-ride listening today), and the Universal Migrator albums are good too, but are probably on the same level as ITEC for me. The Source is still fairly new so I haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but I'd say it's pretty good, in the upper-half of Ayreon albums for me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2154 on: June 22, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »
first new Ayreon Universe live song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x21xE_P5NY

Barry Hay on vocals

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2155 on: June 23, 2018, 05:42:39 AM »
Another one:

Ayreon - The Eye Of Ra (Live HD) @ Graspop - 2018

Sounds great as always! I know it's a logistical nightmare but this production needs to do some kind of tour dammit!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2156 on: June 25, 2018, 07:26:09 AM »
Man I have been all in on Ayreon since April. Right when I wear one out another one grabs me. Currently on 01011101. I've always enjoyed Ayreon but for whatever reason it's just really clicking for me at the moment. I doubt full blown tour would ever happen, especially in the US, but I would to see this show live. Though I'd settle for a new album.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2157 on: June 25, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »
Arjen said in an interview at Graspop that they're thinking of doing a once a year show kind of thing. So maybe we'll get lucky in 2019 again!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2158 on: June 25, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
Arjen said in an interview at Graspop that they're thinking of doing a once a year show kind of thing. So maybe we'll get lucky in 2019 again!

On one hand I'd of course be happy, on the other... my wallet and vacation time... ouch.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2159 on: June 28, 2018, 08:50:21 AM »
Unfortunately had to skip Graspop due to other priorities, but from the looks/sounds of it, it was a huge success.

Tom Englund made a video during the last part of the concert, while singing https://nl-nl.facebook.com/tom.englund.14/videos/10216222025881507/?hc_ref=ARTfNlT-0PMwo_irVWIAj2f1jB1Ne9eXlsALc7nR_h6YSf5sDo5xumIAnn12yCCweHA Looks like a great crowd at capacity (15000 people), which is always a great sign at a festival. Well deserved for all the artists involved, I'd say  ;D

Also cool that they flipped John and Maggie (formed Stars of Sirra, latter Dawn of a Million Souls). And Barry Hay is such a badass, dude is (almost) 70 year old (!!!).

Also, since it didn't get broadcast, Arjen better release it one day in some form. Or maybe do a bonus disc/fan album with some alternate live versions in the future (obviously releasing it now wouldn't make sense businesswise, seeing Universe wasn't released that long ago).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:16:29 AM by ErHaO »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2160 on: June 29, 2018, 07:29:07 AM »
I will by any live video/recording of Ayreon going forward day one with no second thoughts.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2161 on: July 19, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
Into The Electric Castle – 20th anniversary re-issue pre-order is live now! https://bit.ly/2LmZMmb
Arjen spent two months re-mixing the album and also did a 5.1 version.
It's available as a 5 disc Earbook (Inc. 5.1 Remix) and a one-time pressing Ltd Edition Box Set. Of course there is also vinyl: a 3-LP version with the Original 1998 mix and downloads.

The 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Box Set is available to pre-order for only 19 days and contains:
- 3D-sculpted and framed Electric Castle
- 4 CDs: 20th Anniversary Remix + 20th Anniversary Remix Instrumentals
- 1 DVD: 20th Anniversary 5.1 Remix + Documentaries
- 3 LPs: Gold marbled vinyl (original 1998 mix) + Download card for the 20th Anniversary Remix
- Certificate of authenticity, signed by Arjen

We know this is a lot of information...but it is all clearly explained in the webshop!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2162 on: July 19, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »
That limited edition is sexy as hell, but I will refrain from buying it as I have other financial priorities.

I wonder how distinct the new mix will be, I don't have any problem with the original mix but this could be interesting.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2163 on: July 19, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
If I won the lottery I would probably spend a vast majority of it on collector's editions of albums just like that. I'm drooling...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2164 on: July 19, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
And ordered  :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2165 on: July 19, 2018, 12:35:18 PM »
I sent the link for the big box to my girlfriend and told her Christmas for me was taken care of.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2166 on: July 19, 2018, 05:49:17 PM »
I literally *just* bought the album on Amazon a day before they announced this. Whoops.  :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2167 on: July 20, 2018, 06:03:39 AM »
Kind of sucks that it seems a regular CD won’t be released.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2168 on: August 02, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »
After many years, I finally got round to buying an Ayreon album today: The Human Equation. I was already familiar with the first and last tracks, and Loser. I'm really enjoying going through the album.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2169 on: September 06, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
New lyric video for the Across the Rainbow Bridge remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCYeIWeznXs&feature=youtu.be

I really like some of the imagery in this lyric video.