Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382724 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Gentle Storm, Mar. 23/24)
« Reply #1225 on: April 10, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »
Or you could use Paypal?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1226 on: April 28, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
They've put a little trailer on Facebook. Almost nothing new here, but it says the artbook and Blu-Ray editions will feature nearly 90 minutes of bonus video content.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #1227 on: May 05, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »
So... any word on future plans for Guilt Machine?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Theater Equation, June 17)
« Reply #1228 on: May 11, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
Okay, pre-orders for The Theater Equation DVD will be opened at May 20th, Friday. That's the exact same day Nightwish is playing at Moscow so I'll be hella busy that day. Damn, I hope the huge artbooks are still in stock when I arrive back from the show, I think I'll need, what, three of them? This actually makes me kind of nervous. :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1229 on: May 11, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »
I did not appreciate the growls over Anneke's parts in that trailer.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1230 on: May 11, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »
I typically don't review live albums, so I'm just going to post a few thoughts here since I got a chance to hear the audio today.

I think that generally they did a great job covering for those who were unable or didn't want to participate. Between the new vocalists and the choir everyone sounds really good.

The choir allowed them to change some parts, and add others, which makes this more than a simple note for note playing of the album, which is really nice. I really enjoyed some of the alternate stuff.

Having the strings and such there was huge. They sound great, and I'm glad it wasn't just keyboards playing that stuff.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1231 on: May 17, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
I just watched the trailer. Looks great. James sounds really awesome!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1232 on: May 20, 2016, 08:05:55 AM »
DVD + Bluray + 2CD ordered.  Pricey as shit, but well worth it for my #2 album of all time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1233 on: May 20, 2016, 08:29:08 AM »
DVD + Bluray + 2CD ordered.  Pricey as shit, but well worth it for my #2 album of all time.

80 bucks with shipping included to the US for the DVD/BR/2CD...not sure if I will bite the bullet for the signed copy. Maybe just the signed Blu Ray.

The Inside Out US shop has several configurations for 13 bucks but not the Deluxe artbook.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1234 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
The blu-ray is available for preorder on amazon for $20.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1235 on: May 20, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
Artbook ordered.  :tup
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1236 on: May 20, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »
Normally that artbook would be an automatic buy, and may still be IF it's made available from the US, but for now I'll wait to see. Otherwise I'll just get the blu-ray for now.

I got a chance to watch half of the first set today, and well cinematically it's rather simple, it captures the wonderful set and acting. This is going to be so cool to watch on the big screen in its full glory.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1237 on: May 20, 2016, 06:23:03 PM »
Is there somewhere where I can get the DVD but not the blu-ray?  Looking at Best Buy and Amazon and I'm mainly seeing CD and Blu-ray.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1238 on: May 20, 2016, 06:52:05 PM »
InsideOut US store has 2CD+DVD for $13.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1239 on: May 20, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »
JLB sounds great in the trailer, but seems really stiff throughout the performance.  :lol

I can't wait for this. THE was one of the albums I first was an extreme and annoying fanboy with.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1240 on: May 20, 2016, 07:06:20 PM »
So I just want to clarify, because I'm a noob of online shopping.  For $13, we get 2 CDs of the show and the DVD?  I jump all over that one if that's the case.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1241 on: May 21, 2016, 03:59:33 AM »
Shame there isn't a Bluray + CD option.  Would really like it in HD and have the audio too but no way am I paying for the package with Bluray, DVD and CD, far too pricey.

Will have to settle for DVD+CD I suppose.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1242 on: May 21, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
All righty, then.  Preordered the $13 CD+DVD bundle.  Not too pleased that the shipping and tax fees is almost the same amount of the purchase (This does come with the 2 CDs and DVD right?), but it's going to be worth it in the end to buy and watch this.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1243 on: May 21, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »
Shame there isn't a Bluray + CD option.  Would really like it in HD and have the audio too but no way am I paying for the package with Bluray, DVD and CD, far too pricey.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.  If you have a Blu-ray player, you don't really need the DVD version.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: May 22, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.  If you have a Blu-ray player, you don't really need the DVD version.

Yeah, that's kind of baffling.

Ordered one copy of each edition from EU store, artbook for myself and CD+DVD / Bluray editions for friends I visited the show with.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1245 on: May 23, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »
Hnnnngggghhhh that artbook is definitely something I want, but there's just SO MUCH NEW MUSIC coming out this summer and I've already pre-ordered like 5 albums coming out, and I still need to pre-order Marillion's new album, too (though the closing date for those is June 17th, so I have some time for that).

Going to have to wait til at least Wednesday's payday to pre-order this. BurningShed just put up their pre-orders for this, all 3 versions, and the artbook comes to $61.20 after shipping, and for a deluxe artbook with 2 CDs, 2 DVDs, and a BD, that's actually not bad.

Question for Nick, since you've heard it already - how did they handle the ending of Day 20? On the studio album, it's just cut off, a la "Pull Me Under", just as JLB gives a mighty scream into a crescendo, just when it seems like things are getting amped up. Was it just a quick cut-off on stage, or did they actually play an ending to the song?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: May 23, 2016, 11:31:50 PM »
It was a cut off on stage, very similar to the studio version, except JLB'S scream was more like a scream and less of a high note. At least that's what happened on Friday show.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1247 on: May 24, 2016, 10:58:29 AM »
Did they really put growling over all of Anneke's parts or was it just some? I saw one of the bootlegs and it was just her that I could hear but in the trailers there's someone ruining her parts. Surprised they don't know this fundamental law of physics - one does not layer other voices on top of Anneke, unless it's more of Anneke. Newton came up with that iirc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: May 24, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
Did they really put growling over all of Anneke's parts or was it just some? I saw one of the bootlegs and it was just her that I could hear but in the trailers there's someone ruining her parts. Surprised they don't know this fundamental law of physics - one does not layer other voices on top of Anneke, unless it's more of Anneke. Newton came up with that iirc.

It was just some parts (as far as I remember, it was the parts where Mikael did growls on the album, but I might be wrong on that count), and those parts worked wonders for me. And I usually dislike growls.

I love Anneke's voice, but if I had a choice to replace one singer on this live show, it would be her. She didn't really fit the role of Fear, in my opinion.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1249 on: May 24, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
I don't know, from what I heard on YT I loved how she sounded as Fear. It was somehow eerie.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: May 24, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
Looks like I can buy the Blu-Ray and the CDs separately on Amazon for $37.  Added to wishlist.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: May 24, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »
I don't know, from what I heard on YT I loved how she sounded as Fear. It was somehow eerie.

Well, maybe the Sunday show was different, but on Friday show her voice felt way too thin and breathy for me, and she just wasn't too convincing as Fear as far as acting went, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to hear how she sounds on this release though.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1252 on: May 24, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
Who played Fear on the original album? It's been a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1253 on: May 24, 2016, 03:44:47 PM »
Akerfeldt, I think.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1254 on: May 24, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »
Looks like I can buy the Blu-Ray and the CDs separately on Amazon for $37.  Added to wishlist.

The CDs include the DVD. You can see in the details it's 3 discs (2 audio, and one video).

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1255 on: May 25, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »
So I have The Human Equation, Into The Electric Castle, 01011001 and both the Star One albums. I got all of them of this Canadian guy who I met whilst travelling (he also got me to give Devin Townsend's solo stuff a proper listen, up until  then I'd only heard Strapping Young Lad).

He was a huge fan of Arjen's work and I was intrigued by the Star One album in which all the songs were using different sci-fi films as inspiration. I gave all of the albums mentioned above plenty of listens but never really 'got it', although I enjoyed all the music really.

After joining this site I noticed how many fans there were of his music. I've seen a lot of praise for THE especially (I liked the album but didn't really get the amount of praise it was receiving) so decided to try and give it a proper go and dive into the concept fully. When checking out the Wikipedia page I suddenly realised that I didn't have the full album!!!! Disc 1 was complete but disc 2 only had the first 2 tracks. I've since downloaded the rest and given it a full listen and appreciate it a whole lot more. I've read up on the concepts on some of the other albums and like how they all kind of interlink.

Sooooo, I'm going to give all the albums I have a few more proper listens then maybe get some more of the Ayreon back catalogue. Where would you guys suggest I go next?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: May 25, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
After joining this site I noticed how many fans there were of his music. I've seen a lot of praise for THE especially (I liked the album but didn't really get the amount of praise it was receiving) so decided to try and give it a proper go and dive into the concept fully. When checking out the Wikipedia page I suddenly realised that I didn't have the full album!!!! Disc 1 was complete but disc 2 only had the first 2 tracks.

Wow, that's actually kind of hilarious. :D

Well if you liked The Human Equation, you might want to try The Theory of Everything, the second best Ayreon album in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:51:42 PM by Evermind »

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1257 on: May 25, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
What Evermind said.

Theory Of Everything is a close second behind THE.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1258 on: May 25, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
After joining this site I noticed how many fans there were of his music. I've seen a lot of praise for THE especially (I liked the album but didn't really get the amount of praise it was receiving) so decided to try and give it a proper go and dive into the concept fully. When checking out the Wikipedia page I suddenly realised that I didn't have the full album!!!! Disc 1 was complete but disc 2 only had the first 2 tracks.

Wow, that's actually kind of hilarious. :D

Well if you liked The Human Equation, you might want to try The Theory of Everything, the second best Ayreon album in my opinion.

It's ridiculous, I remember thinking "it's weird that disc 2 only has two tracks, why not just split the album so each CD has an equal amount." But because I got the album as mp3s off this guy I thought maybe they were bonus tracks on the album and they had been tagged as a second disk or something.

I'll get that album next

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: May 27, 2016, 08:41:17 AM »
Official song preview is on YouTube.

Day Two: Isolation

Pretty cool but I'm kind of bothered by some camera shots where you can see people's heads in the bottom of the screen, and also some shots where the camera took some sweet moments to focus. And apparently there's some spoken parts added or maybe they were performed on Sunday show, because they weren't there at the Friday show.