Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382809 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Gentle Storm, Mar. 23/24)
« Reply #1190 on: November 23, 2015, 02:19:15 AM »
So I spoke to Arjen this saturday at the record fair! The line wasn't too long and as I was buying some of his projects, I decided to break my rule of never directly meeting people I am a fan of. Thankfully he is a genuinely nice guy to meet  ;D

Got my HE vinyl signed by him and Guilt Machine signed by him and Lori. I said to him that Equation Theater was the best show I ever attended  and that the try out was also amazing. He told me he cried during the show and interestingly, he specifically mentioned Wudstik and Marcela singing together as one of the parts that touched him (I agree that they were great! But then again, all people on stage were  ;D). He said the progress on the DVD is going great and expects to finish his work somewhere in January and that, offcourse, it will be really awesome (my guess the actual release will be later). Really looking forward to that one  :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1191 on: November 23, 2015, 04:47:59 AM »
Told you you could just go up to him. Arjen's a really, genuinely nice, down to earth, allround friendly person. You can really tell he's all about the music. He always seem genuinely surprised when you tell him his work is awesome! Great news about the DVD, thanks for that!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1193 on: March 29, 2016, 08:08:22 AM »
 :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1194 on: March 29, 2016, 08:13:25 AM »
What a tease... I got all giddy thinking this was going to be Theater Equation news!   :angry:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1195 on: March 29, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
What a tease... I got all giddy thinking this was going to be Theater Equation news!   :angry:

I thought so too.  I need this DVD in my life.  I think asking for this to be sold at Best Buy may be too much of a stretch.  As long as they have it at Amazon for roughly $20-25, easy buy for me.

The youtube clip is really good though.  I wouldn't mind hearing a western themed Ayreon album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: March 29, 2016, 09:58:11 AM »

Same.

I think I'm ready to pay $100+ for the super deluxe edition of the DVD. I hope they'll be also selling the leftover T-shirts from the merchandise stand, I might get another one just in case the one I own becomes too worn-out.

I hope they won't be offering the show programs in that deluxe edition because while they're pretty, I don't need another one of these. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1197 on: March 30, 2016, 02:02:41 AM »
First of all, I think this was only a one-off joke track they recorded. Secondly, I read on his Facebook page that the sound mastering for the dvd release is finished, and Lori finished editing the behind the scenes feature for the dvd. What this all means for the total status of the product I do not know, but I think this will be a summer release.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1198 on: March 30, 2016, 03:32:55 AM »
He writes about it in the description, just a fun cover they recorded some time ago as a tribute to Arjens father.
I'm all for a western themed album though!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Gh101

« Reply #1199 on: April 01, 2016, 04:19:38 PM »
Hi, just listened to The Human Equation for the first time and absolutely love it! I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations of similar albums. I've tried to get into 01 and Electric Castle but I'm more of a fan than the human side than the space stuff - thanks!

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1200 on: April 01, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »
Probably The Theory of Everything. I think The Human Equation is his best album by far, but Theory of Everything was a nice return to the organic side of things.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1201 on: April 01, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
get guilt machine - on this perfect day, as well

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1202 on: April 02, 2016, 03:08:53 AM »
Or you could Ambeon (preverably the double reissue with a second disc with accoustic demo´s) or his solo album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: April 02, 2016, 03:12:49 AM »
Yeah, get The Theory of Everything.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1204 on: April 02, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »
Well, there is not album quite like THE, but I'd say your next best bet is definitely his newest, The Theory of Everything.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1205 on: April 02, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »
I'm very mixed on The Theory of Everything. I think the music is largely great, and the vocalists are incredible. The lyrics, though are probably among his worst, actually distractingly bad. I also don't like the fact that every song is 24 or something minutes, it just means I'm less likely to listen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: April 02, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »
There are a few moments in the lyrics which are bad ("Oh no, I can't believe you're falling for that loser" part in particular), but otherwise I think they were pretty much down to earth and well-written. The Human Equation is obviously better - and it's very relatable for me too - but TTOE is fine in the lyrics department if you ask me.

I don't even think about the songs when I'm listening to it. It's just one huge musical experience.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1207 on: April 02, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »
TToE is fine but i never really found myself getting too into it, the "songs" don't feel cohesive as a whole but the short tracks are all not long enough to leave an impact nor particularly strong on their own. same as The Astonishing really, except the story is a lot better on TToE

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: April 02, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
Could be a blasphemy to say this on DT forum, but everything on TTOE is better than The Astonishing. I don't agree about the short tracks part though, I've got plenty that are amazing and particularly touching for me, the examples being TTOE pt. 1, The Consultation, Dark Medicine, Fluctuations / Transformation, Side Effects, Mirror of Dreams and The Lighthouse. I know I have this unusual fondness for this album, and I can see how some people can dislike it, but I will defend it with whatever I have. I think it's a brilliant album.

And speaking of that, everything on The Human Equation is better than TTOE.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1209 on: April 02, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »
yeah, TTOE is better than The Astonishing, i'll give it that much. just never liked it as much as i wanted to.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1210 on: April 02, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
TTOE is pretty great, though not my favorite Ayreon album. I'd agree it's better than The Astonishing, but honestly I still haven't gotten through the whole thing yet, so maybe that opinion isn't very solid. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: April 02, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
Could be a blasphemy to say this on DT forum, but everything on TTOE is better than The Astonishing. I don't agree about the short tracks part though, I've got plenty that are amazing and particularly touching for me, the examples being TTOE pt. 1, The Consultation, Dark Medicine, Fluctuations / Transformation, Side Effects, Mirror of Dreams and The Lighthouse. I know I have this unusual fondness for this album, and I can see how some people can dislike it, but I will defend it with whatever I have. I think it's a brilliant album.

And speaking of that, everything on The Human Equation is better than TTOE.

I wouldn't say "everything" is better - the (few) high points on The Astonishing are better than the best parts of the TTOE, but overall, TTOE > TA - musically, lyrically, performance, story ... everything.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1212 on: April 02, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »
Haven't made up my mind if TTOE is better than TA, but TTOE is great and I have no problem with the story or the lyrics. And the short songs are more part of a longer song than individual songs. And as four longer songs they work really good.

Second best Ayreon album behind Human Equation.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: April 08, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
Oh my god oh my god here it comes!

'The Theater Equation', the full blown musical production of Ayreon's legendary concept album 'The Human Equation', will be released as both DVD & Blu-Ray packages on the 17th June 2016!

Arjen comments: “Even today as I write this, I am amazed and touched by how hard everyone worked and how much love and care they generously gave to make it all happen. Sometimes the dream becomes reality!”

‘The Theater Equation’ will be available as a deluxe artbook version including blu-ray, 2DVD’s & 2CD’s, as well as a special edition 2CD & DVD digipak, standalone blu-ray & digital download.

Definitely the artbook for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: April 08, 2016, 08:18:14 AM »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1215 on: April 08, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »
I'll be buying this.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: April 08, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »
‘The Theater Equation’ will be available as a deluxe artbook version including blu-ray, 2DVD’s & 2CD’s, as well as a special edition 2CD & DVD digipak, standalone blu-ray & digital download.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1217 on: April 08, 2016, 08:49:02 AM »
Yep, that's an instabuy for me!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1218 on: April 08, 2016, 08:49:15 AM »
man, i kinda want the artbook, but i don't want a second copy of the album as well  :lol
also i dunno if i actually have a blu-ray player, dunno if my computer can play blu-ray but prob not

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: April 08, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »
man, i kinda want the artbook, but i don't want a second copy of the album as well  :lol

It's not the exact copy, there are some additional small tracks and interludes, plus two acapella sections. Besides, as I'm sure you know there are different vocalists, especially noticeable in case of Anneke (Fear) and Mike Mills (Rage / Father), so I think adding the two CDs to the package is a good idea.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1220 on: April 08, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »
Gonna definitely get this some time.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1221 on: April 08, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
Instant buy for me too as well.   ;D

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1222 on: April 08, 2016, 10:17:29 PM »
Uhhhhh, let's see here.  YES, PLS.  Of course, I want to buy that.  I just need to make sure that I can buy it at either Amazon or Best Buy or any common stores that sells live DVDs (Target, Walmart, whatever).  I just don't want to travel far and/or search obscure areas to get this DVD.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1223 on: April 09, 2016, 02:12:36 AM »
Uhhhhh, let's see here.  YES, PLS.  Of course, I want to buy that.  I just need to make sure that I can buy it at either Amazon or Best Buy or any common stores that sells live DVDs (Target, Walmart, whatever).  I just don't want to travel far and/or search obscure areas to get this DVD.
What do you mean travel? Just order it online?!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1224 on: April 09, 2016, 02:19:09 AM »
See, the thing is.  I don't have a credit card, so I would prefer it to buy it with cash or for Amazon, a gift card.  Now, I'm probably making an assumption, but I do not know if this is going to be distributed in a lot of outlets (online or stores) that is convenient for me like DT's The Astonishing was for me (got it at Best Buy).  Maybe it is going to be.  That would be awesome.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:30:31 AM by Anguyen92 »