Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382655 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Gentle Storm, Mar. 23/24)
« Reply #1155 on: September 20, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »
Without a doubt one of the best concerts I have seen in my life. The try out was already a blast, but this was absolutely fantastic. More detailed write-up will follow.

Also, as someone who went to the last show, I can't say I have seen any cameras unfortunately. Wouldn't rule out there being static cameras at the shows, as modern digital cams can be very small and their use can prevent cameras being intrusive to the show. Still, I am assuming the worst here. Hopefully we will at least get a professional audio recording, so we can slap it on the low quality bootleg vids, or something.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1156 on: September 20, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
People are saying there were cameras in the audience today!!!!!! I was on the balcony and obviously did not pay a lot of attention the the people sitting underneath me.  ;D

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1157 on: September 20, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »
People are saying there were cameras in the audience today!!!!!! I was on the balcony and obviously did not pay a lot of attention the the people sitting underneath me.  ;D

That's great news!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1158 on: September 20, 2015, 01:45:28 PM »
Yep seems Sunday show was recorded with "20 camera's in all" according to their FB page.  whoooooooooooooooooop  :metal  :metal  :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1159 on: September 20, 2015, 02:05:30 PM »
Yep seems Sunday show was recorded with "20 camera's in all" according to their FB page.  whoooooooooooooooooop  :metal  :metal  :metal
:tup :tup :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1160 on: September 20, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
:panicattack:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1161 on: September 20, 2015, 04:07:53 PM »
Man, still blown away by the show. Anyways, glad the recording is official now ;D I was actually pretty worried there :lol

Just watched the DVD that comes with the bonus edition of HE (never did that), it was great to see how this project came to be over ten years ago. And so many of those names were on the stage this weekend.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1162 on: September 21, 2015, 01:07:27 AM »
Yeah, the recording is great news, but OMG, there's NOTHING in the local press over here that I can find. How the hell is that possible?  :facepalm:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1163 on: September 21, 2015, 04:01:48 AM »
Filming confirmed: there was a camera crew on Sunday ;D
To everyone who hasn't been able to see it irl: you're in for a treat!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1164 on: September 21, 2015, 04:17:39 AM »
Yeah, the recording is great news, but OMG, there's NOTHING in the local press over here that I can find. How the hell is that possible?  :facepalm:

Yeah, sometimes I think Dutch people barely know Arjen Lucassen. Even the symphonic/prog/rock/metal lovers I know. A friend of mine actually loved Stream of Passion and knew a lot of the people on stage during the try out by name, yet never heard a note of Ayreon. And he is not the only example. What gives, Dutch people who love this niche? ??? :facepalm: I almost feel like sending a Dutch review to some music websites, in hope they at least cover this event  :P

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1165 on: September 21, 2015, 04:25:56 AM »

Yeah, sometimes I think Dutch people barely know Arjen Lucassen. Even the symphonic/prog/rock/metal lovers I know. A friend of mine actually loved Stream of Passion and knew a lot of the people on stage during the try out by name, yet never heard a note of Ayreon. And he is not the only example. What gives, Dutch people who love this niche? ??? :facepalm: I almost feel like sending a Dutch review to some music websites, in hope they at least cover this event  :P

True, I'm Dutch and I know almost no people that know Arjen/Ayreon. A shame. I keep recommending his music to everyone though - I'm trying ^^'

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1166 on: September 21, 2015, 04:34:07 AM »

I would almost urge you to do so. I can understand the genre not being wellknown with the national press, but the music press/magazines? Come on. I also know a lot of the people workin on the show and some vocal coaches from my time in a SOP and Ayreon tribute band (around 2007/08) but decided to distance myself a bit. I'm a bit shy when it comes to walking up to Arjen or Marcela and others. Ed Warby lives very near where I live and we greet eachother when I bump into him at the supermarket, but that's it. I do have facebook contact though.

It just amazes me that such a large production (I really can't remember anything this large in the music/theater field) which stars some of progmetal's biggest vocalists (Labrie, van Giersbergen, Ekwald, Bovio, Graves) and boast such an elaborate stageproduction and attracts audiences from all around the world  doesn't attract ANY attention other than the people already familiar with Ayreon and other projects of Arjen.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1167 on: September 22, 2015, 07:44:39 AM »
It's officially official.  DVD confirmed on Ayreon FB page.

Day 1 pre-buyer right nere.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1168 on: September 22, 2015, 07:45:14 AM »
Woohooo!!  :metal

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1169 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:07 AM »

Same here!!

Proof  :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1170 on: September 22, 2015, 08:36:57 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1171 on: September 22, 2015, 09:40:33 AM »

I think you mean Day 1: Vigil pre-buyer.

And I'm pretty excited for this release!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1172 on: September 22, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »
Makes me think, how did I miss all 20 camera's?!  :lol  I'm sure they weren't all underneath me. I do remember a camera stand at the closed off balcony part at my right, but there was no camera on it (to our lament). But they probably did use it while I was completely captivated by the awesome performance  :laugh:

I would almost urge you to do so. I can understand the genre not being wellknown with the national press, but the music press/magazines? Come on. I also know a lot of the people workin on the show and some vocal coaches from my time in a SOP and Ayreon tribute band (around 2007/08) but decided to distance myself a bit. I'm a bit shy when it comes to walking up to Arjen or Marcela and others. Ed Warby lives very near where I live and we greet eachother when I bump into him at the supermarket, but that's it. I do have facebook contact though.

It just amazes me that such a large production (I really can't remember anything this large in the music/theater field) which stars some of progmetal's biggest vocalists (Labrie, van Giersbergen, Ekwald, Bovio, Graves) and boast such an elaborate stageproduction and attracts audiences from all around the world  doesn't attract ANY attention other than the people already familiar with Ayreon and other projects of Arjen.

Since I have a huge deadline soon, I won't contact the dutch media extensively. But I think I will give them a small notion if  still NONE of our sites (that bother to cover acts such as Delain and Stream of Passion) report on this event in a few days. I am really baffled about the media coverage so far. Hell, Arjen even appeared at De Wereld Draait Door at some point (with a nice Floor Jansen performance), why the prog/metal specific outlets fail to cover this project is beyond me.

I already mentioned it a few times, but I have never felt the need to talk to Arjen or any other musician I am a fan of. Totally different music and mainstream in our country, but I am also a fan of Racoon. They grew up in the same area as me, but never felt the need to meet them.

Now some randomly related Dutch music trivia; Hell, I even remember we considered hiring Racoon for an event we helped organising for T' Beest as a school project back in the day (before their big breaktrough). The guy who recommended them was organiser Frank Harthoorn, an old Gorefest bandmate of, yes, Ed Warby. The world is small, the Netherlands even smaller!  ;D In fact, the singer of Racoon and another member played in a hardcore grunge/punk band that played at a release party of Gorefest during the 90's  :lol Hard to imagine now.

True, I'm Dutch and I know almost no people that know Arjen/Ayreon. A shame. I keep recommending his music to everyone though - I'm trying ^^'

Yeah, me too!  :tup

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #1173 on: September 23, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
Dropping in to echo what's been said about this production. Having been to the last show on sunday, I can definitely say this was one of the best musical experiences (if not the best...) in my life and it'll be very hard to top it ;D.

In the days leading up I couldn't really imagine what I would witness on that day but the moment things kicked off I got shivers all the way through the show. Having most of the original cast was just what made it go from amazing to exceptional. There's just not a single moment that was off or not quite right, everyone was on their A-level. It's hard to find any new words to describe how fantastic an experience it was, the music combined with the stage pieces, the wardrobe and the small details in the choreography... and to believe it was filmed for a release.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1174 on: September 23, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
^ Yes, thanks for describing it so nicely and spot on. It was flawless :heart
Already can't wait for the DVD.

Offline Enalya

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1176 on: September 24, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »
Yes, nice review! The more coverage, the better  ;D

Though I thought this was done by Anneke's stand in, who was amongst the choir:
for the harsher parts they used the original recording, assisted with live singers.
In the try out this was very apparent, since she didn't share the vocal parts and wasn't in the background.

In fact, I noticed there were more moments were a stand in supported his/her role (for example, Eric Clayton and his stand in singing at the same time).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: September 24, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »
Yeah, I thought the girl with the pink hair was doing the growls. This was especially obvious when the choir was doing the second acapella section.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1178 on: September 25, 2015, 02:11:50 AM »
Yes, I also saw the pink haired girl growl ^^

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1179 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:59 AM »
I know I'm behind the times, but I'm just listening to The Gentle Storm for the first time now.

This is really cool stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1180 on: October 24, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »
I know I'm behind the times, but I'm just listening to The Gentle Storm for the first time now.

This is really cool stuff.

I absolutely love it, one of my favorite albums of 2015 if not my favorite at all, and the one that made me finally go "Mh, maybe it's about time I listen to whatever Anneke van Giersbergen is doing" since she's such an amazing vocalist.

The idea of having an acoustic album and a rock album is great (actually wouldn't mind DT to have a go at this one, two discs with different arrangements of the same album), you can enjoy the story in two ways and you can also mix it up and make your own compilation picking some "Gentle" songs and some "Storm" songs to create a more standard album.

All the songs are gorgeous, there's not a bad song in this, and the story is touchful and heartwrenching. I have a hard time picking a favorite, I'd go for Endless Sea, Heart of Amsterdam, Cape of Storm, the absolutely touching The Moment and New Horizons... but any song is wonderful.

I will have the pleasure of seeing them live this next 3rd November! can't wait, I still haven't understood if Arjen will be there (got some compliments to throw at him), for sure I will enjoy Anneke's performance... the club is small, I aim for the front row  :coolio
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:35:53 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: October 24, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
The Diary is definitely one of my favourite albums this year. Just amazing stuff all around I'd say, and the acoustic disc is even more wonderful.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1182 on: October 24, 2015, 03:21:26 PM »
The Diary is definitely one of my favourite albums this year. Just amazing stuff all around I'd say, and the acoustic disc is even more wonderful.

The "acoustic disc" makes that seem like some sort of bonus disc, subservient to a primary disc, and I hardly feel that's the case.  They are theoretical equals (or were created as such), and I still prefer the Gentle to the Storm.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1183 on: October 24, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
Me too, I totally agree with you. Heart of Amsterdam and Shores of India are the prime examples of it; I think the "acoustic" songs are really filled with atmosphere of Golden Era Amsterdam and colonial India that kinda get "lost in translation" when they are arranged in a more standard rock / metal version.

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: October 24, 2015, 04:07:22 PM »
Yeah, maybe I was wrong to call it that. Gentle version is much better than the Storm one for me, and basically when I want to listen to this album, I always go for the Gentle version.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1185 on: October 26, 2015, 07:22:22 AM »
I also preferred the Gentle disc to the Storm disc, but I still liked the Storm disc a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1186 on: October 29, 2015, 04:43:38 AM »
Anyone else going to The Gentle Storm concert in Atak, Enschede, The Netherlands this 14 November? :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1187 on: October 29, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
I'm in Italy, and I discovered only yesterday that the supposed concert they had here was only an opening slot for Delain, a band I don't follow  :-\ so I won't go after all to see them play 6-7 songs and then sit through a band I don't know.

What a pity, I was already stoked to see them  :'(

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1188 on: October 30, 2015, 09:39:33 AM »
I am really interested in seeing them and they frequently have shows here (Netherlands), but really had to pick artists this year unfortunately. This year's concert tickets were Blind Guardian (two times), Theater Equation (and try out), Kamelot, Nightwish, Damian Wilson, Night of the Proms (Joe Jackson amongst others), Racoon, and The Neal Morse band. And next year Iron Maiden and Steven Wilson already cost me, I expect DT as well.

On an additional note, I will probably go to Arjen's signing session at the record fair in Utrecht the 21th of November (see his FB page). I will try to buy his solo album on vinyl there, which I'd like to have signed by the man himself.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1189 on: November 05, 2015, 09:28:55 AM »
I am really interested in seeing them and they frequently have shows here (Netherlands), but really had to pick artists this year unfortunately. This year's concert tickets were Blind Guardian (two times), Theater Equation (and try out), Kamelot, Nightwish, Damian Wilson, Night of the Proms (Joe Jackson amongst others), Racoon, and The Neal Morse band. And next year Iron Maiden and Steven Wilson already cost me, I expect DT as well.

On an additional note, I will probably go to Arjen's signing session at the record fair in Utrecht the 21th of November (see his FB page). I will try to buy his solo album on vinyl there, which I'd like to have signed by the man himself.

Very cool! I also went to The Theater Equation, Kamelot and will be going to Nightwish the 19th. I only found out about Neal Morse yesterday (really, LOVE IT) so I missed that one : (
I can understand you have to choose, but it's always hard : p Yea, most money goes to concerts...