Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382970 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Gentle Storm, Mar. 23/24)
« Reply #1120 on: September 07, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »
Heads up, there will be a try out for the theater equation show, featuring the original band and the choir/understudies performing the whole album. Nice appetizer for the actual theater production and I love being able to see the album in regular concert form as well. I am definitely going to this  :biggrin:

So, was the show awesome? Please don't include any spoilers in your answer though. :angel:

I'll also write you a PM in a few days about the meet-up and some general questions about Netherlands.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1121 on: September 07, 2015, 10:42:18 AM »
Oh kind of forgot about TTE.  :blush Can't wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1122 on: September 07, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »
Has it been confirmed that there's a Blu-Ray/DVD for this?  I would do my best to pre-order this thing on Amazon or any other credible outlet the moment it is good to go for ordering.

Now then, that stage of that picture looks kinda small-ish to me.  Is that in the smaller room of the theater that they are going to be doing the actual theater production?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1123 on: September 07, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
I think the actual theater is going to be bigger. There are some videos in youtube from this and they're amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKkCFUVK8q0
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1124 on: September 07, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
Yeah, that was the pre-show try out with only the choir and without the regular cast. The real show will be in a great theater though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: September 07, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
Yeah, the actual theater is definitely bigger, I saw photos.

About the DVD, Arjen himself said they're working on possibilities, but nothing definitive yet.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1126 on: September 07, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
Heads up, there will be a try out for the theater equation show, featuring the original band and the choir/understudies performing the whole album. Nice appetizer for the actual theater production and I love being able to see the album in regular concert form as well. I am definitely going to this  :biggrin:

I'll also write you a PM in a few days about the meet-up and some general questions about Netherlands.

Ok  :tup

So, was the show awesome? Please don't include any spoilers in your answer though. :angel:

Short answer: YES!! It was great.

Now for some spoiler free impressions (or things that won't apply to the actual show):

-This was a concert, so no acting, story related clothing/make-up etc. How it will shape up in the Theater is a surprise for me as well. And there were some crowd interactions and minor banter. They said that they considered this a repetition for the band and the stand ins and if a song was not performed good enough, they would repeat it.

-The sound was amazing. I could appreciate all intruments and vocals. Not loud and clear yet heavy (just like most of Arjen's studio efforts). In terms of mix it was spot on, the live setting gave some parts an extra punch but they were always faithful to the balance of the studio album. In fact, I have never had sound this good at a rock/metal concert. And my friend said the same thing (who is more picky than me). There were some minor issues here and there (especially the microphones), but the sound engineers were paying attention and fixed everything in an instant. It being a general repetition for a theater show probably helps, but I am happy to say these people really know what they are doing. 

-The band was thight. I noticed a rare mistake here and there but that is nitpicking. Clarity of the sound also made them "exposed" so to say (same goes for the vocals btw. everything was audible).
-It was great to see that all intruments were actually played live at the stage.

-Choir performance (here I mean all vocalists singing together) was great overall and works great with the music.
-Some of the male stand ins were great. I especially have to give my compliments to the guy that aced Loser and Devin's vocals. Actually, all Males had a great voice or were great at harmonies. Agony and Me impressed me as well.
-Some females were off key at times and I wasn't too fond of the sound of Pain (but hey, Giersbergen will ace it I'm sure). Still, some impressive female vocal parts for sure. And the female vocalists delivered most of the power here. Some impressive rock vocals were displayed. So overall, the female stand ins did great as well.

-Arjen was there in the back and since it wasn't very crowded, he was easy to approach. I did not do so though, since I kind of have this thing of never talking to the persons I am a huge fan off (third time I saw him actually). He seems like a genuine guy and it is always good to know he is a likeable genius, a somewhat rare type of genuises'. I don't think there is a musician out there that I respect more than him. He can be proud of this project.

Oh and yeah, the theater is absolutely bigger. This was a small venue, smaller than the ones I saw Kamelot, Blind Guardian etc. in for example. It was impressive how well they managed the space and how well it sounded, considering there were quite a lot of vocalists entering/exiting the stage and the small group of musicians in the corner had a lot of different instruments to play. All in all, I am fully convinced this show will be an absolute blast and they better record the damn thing  ;D (there were a few smaller camera's at this show btw. But my guess is that is more of a memento for the group).

Now, some spoilers:

-Overall, the show was very loyal to the album, but there were some additions and/or changes here and there.
-The choir had an awesome acapella part.
-There were a few additional reccurring themes, which I loved.
-Due to the amount of personell and having a choir, some vocal parts were shared or done with the choir.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: September 12, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
Awesome to hear! I'm so damn excited for this. (PM is coming up tomorrow. Just was too busy to compose it.)

For those who still don't know the details about the show, I wrote a preview article for LOMM:

The Theater Equation Show Preview

Obviously we'll do a review some time after the show too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1128 on: September 12, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
All cool stuff, and I really just don't want to read about it because I'm flat out angry I won't be there. :lol

This is gonna be amazing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1129 on: September 13, 2015, 02:48:50 AM »
Great writeup. It should be noted that Yvette Boertje was also behind the first (too) short Star One/Ayreon tour they did back in 2003/2004 and has been with Arjen ever since. The fans around the world have been actively involved via social media for this project from the start, as in auditioning and formation of the Epic Rock Choir and even recruitment of the crew for the performances. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: September 18, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »
I'm back from the show, and damn, words are not enough to describe how magnificent it was. By far the best live performance I've ever seen.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1131 on: September 18, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »
God damnit Evermind.  I thought I couldn't get anymore excited for tomorrows show but you've gone and done it   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1132 on: September 18, 2015, 03:54:45 PM »
I'm back from the show, and damn, words are not enough to describe how magnificent it was. By far the best live performance I've ever seen.

It'd be a crime not to record this performance.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: September 18, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »
A DVD should seriously be done of this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1134 on: September 18, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
From what I saw on Youtube, everyone nails it! I really, really hope this gets an audio release if nothing else. I cannot un-hear Anneke.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1135 on: September 18, 2015, 09:29:12 PM »
From what I saw on Youtube, everyone nails it! I really, really hope this gets an audio release if nothing else. I cannot un-hear Anneke.

Snagging it now before it gets taken down.  Not sure I'll watch it, because I don't really want to have it spoiled if there's gonna be a full/official DVD of it.  But, like I almost missed the DT/Wacken show, I'm getting this while it's still up there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1136 on: September 18, 2015, 11:03:03 PM »

I really really hope it does. That was orgasmic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1137 on: September 19, 2015, 06:18:35 AM »
That video on Youtube is absolutely amazing. This NEEDS a video release. I'm really sad I can't be there for any of the performances.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1138 on: September 19, 2015, 07:39:34 AM »
That video on Youtube is absolutely amazing. This NEEDS a video release. I'm really sad I can't be there for any of the performances.

I didn't find a full show. I enjoyed the acting though.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1139 on: September 19, 2015, 08:20:47 AM »
The guy uploaded the whole thing in one video today, not just 8 parts.

This reminded me of how amazing this album actually is. It was a while since I last listened to it but damn, has it held up well with time. And this version makes it even better, as if that was how it was meant to be played. If only Mike Baker was still alive to take his role too!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1140 on: September 19, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1141 on: September 19, 2015, 11:51:13 AM »
Now there is a duet I'd like to hear at least 60 minutes of music with.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1142 on: September 19, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
Well I have to say that was absolutely the best show I have ever been to.   Must admit,  for the first ever at a concert time I got a bit emotional tonight.  It was just stunning.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: September 19, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »
I've shed a tear during Hope, Love and Confrontation and I'm not ashamed to admit it at all. These moments always got me emotional in the album, and here they're just multiplied by double digits. I think I've got goosebumps like 15 times during Vigil / Isolation alone.

This is my #4 album for a reason, and actually after seeing this perfection of a show, it might just push Rainbow - Rising down a step and become my #3, or maybe even my #2. Seriously, I've seen the show at Friday and I'm still basking in its afterglow, and I think it won't pass any time soon. It was that good.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1144 on: September 19, 2015, 05:57:18 PM »
if this comes to DVD it will def. be the first live DVD i'll ever get

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1145 on: September 19, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »
Well I have to say that was absolutely the best show I have ever been to.   Must admit,  for the first ever at a concert time I got a bit emotional tonight.  It was just stunning.

Arjen probably went through a couple boxes of tissue.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1146 on: September 20, 2015, 01:09:34 AM »
Worth noting that there was no visible recording being done on the Saturday evening show.   Will be gutted if this isn't recorded at all  :angry:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1147 on: September 20, 2015, 01:39:35 AM »
Yea I was gonna ask if anyone saw any cameras? They can't do a thing like that and not document in some way even if it's only for private use.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: September 20, 2015, 02:11:00 AM »
I haven't seen any cameras on Friday night either.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1149 on: September 20, 2015, 02:23:16 AM »
Cast, choir and musicians.

Let´s hope they do decide to record the last shows. I might be the only one in Rotterdam that hasn´t gotten a ticket.  :(

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1150 on: September 20, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1151 on: September 20, 2015, 07:52:37 AM »
The rumour is, btw, that the last show will be filmed for dvd release....but it IS a rumour.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1152 on: September 20, 2015, 08:03:04 AM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1153 on: September 20, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
Where are those pics from? Link the page :)

nvm, just checked my FB feed.

Offline Krissi91

« Reply #1154 on: September 20, 2015, 11:07:59 AM »
The videos on youtube look really cool, this just has to be filmed for a DVD.
It would be even better if they brought this show to other countries, maybe even do a world tour! But I guess it is far too complex to be taken on tour, with so many people involved...