Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 150512 times)

Offline metrojam

Re: Kamelot
« Reply #1015 on: April 13, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
Listened to it 2 or 3 times now on Spotify and sadly, being a long term fan of the band, nothing grabs me as a stand out song at all. It's decent enough but nothing to make me want to purchase it so I can give it and the lyrics more attention.
Mark as "disappointing" for me.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: April 13, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »
Three spins onto TST and I want to like it more than I do. The early standouts are Burns to Embrace and The Proud and the Broken. Hopefully the rest will grow on me, but overall an underwhelming experience.

I'm amazed at how much this album has grown on me. I really like most of the songs. The choruses are infectious and the music is great. While this will never touch the 4th Legacy - Halo run, this is a fine addition to the Silverthorn/Haven Tier, which is the 2nd tier for me ahead of Ghost Opera and Poetry. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1017 on: April 13, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »
So gave it a good listen.

It's just so meh. Fine, but nothing more. The good things about it I've already heard a bunch, but they're fine.

I feel like the whole band was like "yea this is good enough, let's move on" for all of this.

One of the songs I actually had to skip half way through cause of how boring it was. Forgot which.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1018 on: April 13, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Count me in along the "Meh" votes. It's the safest, most standard, template-following Kamelot album ever. Phantom Divine, Burns to Embrace, Kevlar Skin and maybe Stories Unheard and Vespertine are enough to save the album but it's really a copy and paste and churn out kind of disc. Also... Edguy did Ravenblack, Kamelot Ravenlight.... enough already with making up stupid words just because "raven" sounds cool. It's a damn bird. Yeah, it's a badass sounding word and Poe wrote a poem about it but just give up this obsession with ravens.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: April 13, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »
Count me in along the "Meh" votes. It's the safest, most standard, template-following Kamelot album ever. Phantom Divine, Burns to Embrace, Kevlar Skin and maybe Stories Unheard and Vespertine are enough to save the album but it's really a copy and paste and churn out kind of disc. Also... Edguy did Ravenblack, Kamelot Ravenlight.... enough already with making up stupid words just because "raven" sounds cool. It's a damn bird. Yeah, it's a badass sounding word and Poe wrote a poem about it but just give up this obsession with ravens.

What about the Ravenskill Militia?  :lol 

Yea, I pretty much agree with you though.  Album is a copy paste of Haven, without the punch of a Liar Liar type song.  I still want to listen to it more though since I am seeing them in a week.  I'm curious what will get played.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: April 13, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
Kevlar Skin stacks up well against Liar Liar.

I wish we had something like Citizen Zero/Veritas/Zodiac/The Spell.  Guess this isn't exactly Kamelot by the numbers

Online Adami

« Reply #1021 on: April 13, 2018, 03:05:23 PM »
Kevlar Skin stacks up well against Liar Liar.

I wish we had something like Citizen Zero/Veritas/Zodiac/The Spell.  Guess this isn't exactly Kamelot by the numbers

Oh it is. Just because not every single song off the last two albums isn't copied over, doesn't mean much. They took their most typical songs and just repeated them a lot.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1022 on: April 13, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
The cringe lyrics are really bad. Something something pantomime... Ravenlight... Touched by the light, shadow of a dream... talk about cliche
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1023 on: April 14, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »
I’ve listened to The Shadow Theory 5 Times and I only really like 3 or 4 songs. Their fourth weakest album after their first 3 for me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1024 on: April 16, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
I've realized that Static is one of the best songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1025 on: April 16, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
I watched One Cold Winter's Night over the weekend and fell in love with it all over again.  Will be binging on the Khan albums all week.  I hadn't seen that concert in years. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: April 16, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »
I watched One Cold Winter's Night over the weekend and fell in love with it all over again.  Will be binging on the Khan albums all week.  I hadn't seen that concert in years.

I had to check the dates to be sure, but I got into Kamelot (apparently) just months after The Black Halo came out, and I remember waiting a long time for the One Cold Winter's Night DVD - awesome concert, although if I remember correctly Roy flubs the beginning to Nights of Arabia, right? He's a beat or two off? I miss that song. I've never seen it played live.

Now I'm thinking about my all time favorite Kamelot songs and that's really, really hard. Even though I don't care for their albums as a whole prior to The Black Halo, they still have some great songs in that early era (generally, the ones they still play live, like Center of the Universe or Farewell). I'd be interested in hearing everyone's top 10-20 songs, I'm going to chew on mine for a while.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #1027 on: April 16, 2018, 12:47:20 PM »

That's such a great DVD. It's a shame their newest one (they will film) is just a collection of a bunch of songs from random shows.

I was really hoping to get a great DVD of them with sexy blue haired girl.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1028 on: April 16, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
I've seen Nights of Arabia live! awesome song.

Let me see my favorite 10-20ish songs, going by albums to make it easier...

Providence, Where I Reign, King's Eyes
Nights of Arabia, Fourth Legacy, Sailorman's Hymn, Shadow of Uther
Forever, Wings of Despair, Elizabeth
Center of the Universe, Wander, One Cold Winter's Night, but anyway all of Epica as a whole is a total masterpiece
March of Mephisto, The Haunting
Ghost Opera, Human Stain
Sacrimony, Veritas
Veil of Elysium

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1029 on: April 16, 2018, 01:05:54 PM »

:lol  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5etfIwlRbg

Oh look, a full length concert release where she fronts her own band! 

Online Adami

« Reply #1030 on: April 16, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »

:lol  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5etfIwlRbg

Oh look, a full length concert release where she fronts her own band!

I didn't want to just look at her, I really liked her dynamic with Kamelot.

I didn't click the link (at work) but I assume it's Arch Enemy since The Agonist has no DVDs. I lost a ton of interest in Arch Enemy when she joined. Not her fault, just meh writing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1031 on: April 17, 2018, 01:48:34 AM »
I've realized that Static is one of the best songs.

Yeah.  I've been surprised no one seems to be mentioning it.

I'd rank the songs...

1. Burns to Embrace
2. Static
3. Vespertine (My Crimson Bride)
4. Amnesiac
5. Ravenlight
6. The Proud and the Broken
7. Phantom Divine (Shadow Empire)
8. The Last Day of Sunlight
9. In Twilight Hours
10. Stories Unheard**
11. MindFall Remedy
12. Kevlar Skin

**Stories Unheard has potential to move up, it's the only song on the album I don't feel I've fully got a handle on yet, it has a Ghost Opera feel too it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1032 on: April 17, 2018, 01:52:38 AM »
Aw, poor Kevlar Skin, while I think it has the worst title (no wait, that's Ravenlight, every arbitrary use of the word "Raven" earns the worst title award), it turned out to be one of my favorite songs, mainly for the chorus.

I agree however that Burns to Embrace not only is good, but it's also quite original. I like Phantom Divine but I've already heard a better version of it on the previous album (Veil of Elysium of course).

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1033 on: April 17, 2018, 02:05:18 AM »
Yeah I like most of Phantom Divine except for the chorus. Sounds too much like Sacrimony and Veil of Elysium.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: April 17, 2018, 07:49:19 AM »
They live debut a few of the new songs last night.  I finally put the album on my phone so I can listen at work (where I do most of my listening) and get pumped for the show Friday night  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: April 17, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »
I was thinking about my favorite Kamelot songs and I think I finally settled on a batch. Not exactly 10 though:

Nights of Arabia
A Sailorman's Hymn
The Haunting
Ghost Opera
The Human Stain
EdenEcho
The Zodiac
House On A Hill
Necropolis
Poetry For The Poisoned, Pt. 2: So Long
Insomniac

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: April 17, 2018, 02:47:41 PM »
I don't think I've ever said this before (about any band), but I kind of dig the instrumental versions.  I think I listened to the album about 5 times today  :lol and maybe I've forced it on myself, but I don't hate it.  It's growing on me.  Still feel like it's a copy of Haven, but I liked Haven, so kind of hard to not like this, but the sameness of it makes me feel like it's a lesser version.  I'm still really loving The Proud and the Broken though, that guitar riff is killer and it really feels like a stand alone song that does well compared to the rest of the typical Kamelot songs on the album.

and sure I'll post a top 10 (not including anything from TST, just haven't digested enough to say anything will land here yet)

Memento Mori
Soul Society
Abandoned
My Confession
Sacrimony
Liar Liar
Lunar Sanctum
3 Ways to Epica

Offline metrojam

« Reply #1037 on: April 17, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
They live debut a few of the new songs last night.  I finally put the album on my phone so I can listen at work (where I do most of my listening) and get pumped for the show Friday night  :metal

Always makes me jealous when i see people saying this!!!......Wish my "work" was like that!!!...LOL

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: April 17, 2018, 05:04:12 PM »

Always makes me jealous when i see people saying this!!!......Wish my "work" was like that!!!...LOL

I work in a data center that's very very loud and I am required by work to wear noise cancelling headphones, so I usually am always listening to music because that's better than no noise.

Offline Shredzorz

« Reply #1039 on: April 17, 2018, 06:36:28 PM »
This is definitely one of those albums that I don't actually like all that much, but it'll still rack up tons of listens because it's easy to digest and energetic. Perfect background music.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1040 on: April 18, 2018, 01:03:47 AM »
Yesterday I went to brush my teeth after having last read this thread, and I assume I'm not the only one that "spaces out" doing mundane tasks. I hummed along in my head to Elizabeth, then thought about March of Mephisto, then the line "Let's play with the fire that burns in my veins, trust in the might of a miracle" from Veil of Elysium, and immediately thought "Under the phantom divine"  :lol

Yeah, it's that bad I guess. At least I like the song but I can't pretend it's a retread of Elysium which was a retread of Sacrimony anyway.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1041 on: April 18, 2018, 01:36:20 AM »
I get a very strong hint of 80's Maiden (in particular 'Powerslave' era) from 'Wings of Despair'.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1042 on: April 18, 2018, 03:24:58 AM »
Anyone know a safe place to download the bonus tracks for the albums.  I've brought the albums on iTunes and weirdly some had the bonus tracks, others didn't.   I believe I'm missing....

Once and Future King (Karma)
Snow (Epica)
Like the Shadows (Epica)
Where the Wild Roses Grow (Nick Cave cover from Poetry)
Leaving to Soon (Sliverthorn)
Welcome Home (Silverthorn b-side).
The Ties that Bind (Haven)
At First Light (Haven)
Angel of Refraction (Shadow Theory).

The bonus tracks I did get have been generally really strong - 'Season's End' would probably make my top 20 Kamelot songs.  'The Pendulous Fall', 'Grace' and 'The Last Day of Sunlight' are all really good too. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:39:18 AM by soupytwist »

Online Adami

« Reply #1043 on: April 18, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »
Seeing them in May. Looked up their setlists to see how much of their new album I need to be familiar with first. Luckily it isn't much, so I'm good.

Still sad seeing a real lack of older (earlier Khan era) stuff being ignored. But I guess they're fully embracing their new sound and not doing much with their old sound. Ah well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: April 18, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »
I honestly think I won't see them again if they come to my town with this setlist. The Khan songs are almost the same that they did on the previous tour (with one exception), Silverthorn is represented with one song, and I have no interest in either new songs or seeing Haven songs played all over again.

This is very ironic, because I was too young to attend the last Kamelot Khan-fronted gig in our country (I think it was 2006 or 2007), and since pretty much 2010 I was waiting for them to come and play here. Come 2012, they were the band I wanted to see live the most—I loved most of Khan albums, I loved Silverthorn, I was really into Tommy's voice based on both Silverthorn and Seventh Wonder. I still wanted to see them when Haven was released in 2015, and I saw them on Haven tour eventually (even though it was late 2017 for our part of the tour I think), and the gig was great, and I probably would see them again if they switch the setlist up... but looking at the starting shows from this tour, yeah, I guess I'll pass on this tour unless they switch some songs around.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: April 18, 2018, 12:44:59 PM »
Still sad seeing a real lack of older (earlier Khan era) stuff being ignored. But I guess they're fully embracing their new sound and not doing much with their old sound. Ah well.

It sucks they never explored more songs from the Khan era with Tommy.  I bet he would be able to do some of those songs really well (I think he really nailed the old material they've played).  I remember they played Don't You Cry with Tommy and it was so refreshing and well done.  I'm kind of surprised they are only playing 4 new songs (or even less, they cut two songs (1 new) last night).  But they are also playing 4 from Haven.  Kind of wished they dropped a little more from Haven and gave us at least one deep cut.  Oh well.  Also pretty upset they aren't taking advantage of Charlotte and doing Under Grey Skies say instead of Here's To The Fall. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1046 on: April 18, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »
I've seen them with Khan, with Fabio Lione and with Tommy  :metal

I liked the last concert, but reading these comments, I think I'll pass on their new show too. I don't want to know the exact set but same old Khan songs, just the barely minimum set of new songs from the new album to justify a world tour and - not that I wouldn't mind, love the album - a lot from Haven? how about more songs from Haven in the Haven tour, and less songs from it next time around?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: April 18, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
I'll never not be bitter about missing my one and only shot at seeing Khan-elot. Had tickets well in advance to their show promoting Poetry, and then... Khan leaves. I even had VIP tickets! Then I had to wait a whole year for them to come back. With Fabio, of course, but still, I am upset I never got to see Khan. On the other hand the promoter did still mail me a VIP laminate  :biggrin:

Catching them in Chicago next Friday, since they were free tix (Christmas gift) I'll be able to enjoy the show regardless.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: April 18, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
I'll never not be bitter about missing my one and only shot at seeing Khan-elot. Had tickets well in advance to their show promoting Poetry, and then... Khan leaves. I even had VIP tickets! Then I had to wait a whole year for them to come back. With Fabio, of course, but still, I am upset I never got to see Khan. On the other hand the promoter did still mail me a VIP laminate  :biggrin:

Catching them in Chicago next Friday, since they were free tix (Christmas gift) I'll be able to enjoy the show regardless.

I don't think I've ever been so upset as I was when they cancelled that tour and Khan quit.  I was SO excited to finally see them and my favorite singer.  What a punch to the gut that was.  I had tickets and got a refund and was so mad I didn't go when they came around with Fabio.  My friend went and said it was awesome and I kind of feel bad that I took my anger out on not going to that show.  They even toured with Simone, who I love.  And had alestorm opening  :biggrin: Oh well. 

Honestly, they are still a really good live band and I enjoy them enough that I have no issue going to the show Friday.  I also love Delain so it makes it a lot easier for me.  In fact, I think the NYC show is going to sell out.  They said only 50 tickets last last night.  The same venue Mike Portnoy played with the Shattered Fortress (which he also sold out the day of the show). 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: April 18, 2018, 11:33:54 PM »
I feel very fortunate to have seen them 3 times during the Khan era, including twice on the Black Halo world tour. In 2006 I got to see Epica open up for them and Simone came back out to do the Haunting with Kamelot. One of my all time favorite shows.