Author Topic: random medical question that id rather ask here than google  (Read 3367 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Soo... If someone is allergic to something... Is it possible to build up an immunity to it via extended exposure? Or is that just a complete  :rollin question ?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:37:33 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: random medical question that id rather ask her than google
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »

I think I'm getting over my stupid thread allergy, thanks Jay. :tup

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:15:44 PM »
*waits for her*

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:30 PM »
Well I've been told that exposing ones self to more germs builds the immune system, but I haven't tried licking a public toilet yet, so I can't confirm this.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »
I can. Public toilets aren't as sticky as they appear.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
:rollin

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
She said no.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: random medical question that id rather ask here than google
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
I just caught that. stupid shitty typing skills

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
Isn't an allergic reaction an overreaction of the immune system?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: If it were that easy, nobody would ever be allergic to anything. You could easily have therapy that gradually builds up the stimulus, while at the same time building up immunity. I've been allergic to cats for my entire life, and I've been exposed to quite a few cats over time as they are quite a popular pet. I still swell up like a balloon if I'm ever around one for too long.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 09:51:22 PM »
thats what I figured.

damn

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
To what are you allergic?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »
My allergy to cats has only gotten worse.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
Sometimes.  I used to get really bad allergies once I moved to an agricultural area, but now I don't get them much anymore.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
me? fucking Morning Glorys. Wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that for the past 8 years I lived in close proximity to them and have been the one who had to pull those sons of bitches up.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
me? fucking Morning Glorys. Wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that for the past 8 years I lived in close proximity to them and have been the one who had to pull those sons of bitches up.

Phytocide.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »
They are so entangled with other plants that I cant really spray them with anything.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »
They are so entangled with other plants that I cant really spray them with anything.

Napalm.

Don't make me think of everything dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »
THAT WAS MY FIRST IDEA but sadly... cant.

lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »
When I was a kid I'd get really bad poison ivy. I even had it in my lungs once. I haven't had it in two years now, even though i spend lots of time in the woods.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »

Napalm.

Don't make me think of everything dude.
:rollin

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
When I was a kid I'd get really bad poison ivy. I even had it in my lungs once. I haven't had it in two years now, even though i spend lots of time in the woods.

Oh really? Hmm, that's too bad you are allergic to her.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 11:02:03 PM »
I'm allergic to bad acting, too.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 11:23:58 PM »
The short answer is no. If you have an allergy to something already, that's already not a good thing, and continued exposure to an allergen is not wise. Your body chemistry can change however. When I was a child poison ivy did not bother me at all. In fact, I used to rub poison ivy leaves on my arms and laugh while my friends would freak out and cringe. I never had a reaction, not even once. When I was in college however, I got into some posion ivy while working on a mowing crew (I volunteered to cut the stuff down, because I was not affected by it). Bad mistake. I had that shit everywhere. I even had it on my eyelids, and genitals. I wound up in the hospital for about three days. It was horrible. I was miserable for about 3 or 4 weeks.  :(

So exposing yourself to a known allergy repeatedly is different than building a tolerance to something else.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:31:34 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 12:21:05 AM »
In terms of laying off your medication when you have a simple sickness for i.e. it's possible to heal without said medication. But with allergies, that's a whole other field. Don't mess with that shit.

Offline j

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 01:20:46 AM »
Actually it is possible to be immunized to a particular allergen, in fact I think they do immunotherapy for certain allergies in some places.  Its mechanism is complicated and not anything like "vaccination" against a viral pathogen or something, and it's really not feasible but for certain specific types of reactions.  And you're not gonna "build up an immunity" to poison ivy by just going out and rubbing poison ivy all over yourself every weekend.  But clinically, it absolutely can be done.

-J

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
You can grow out of an allergy.

Also aren't allergy shots essentially building up an immunity? Or do I have an in accurate understanding of them? I had them as a kid, but I didn't really pay close attention.

Offline Var

• Gravity Well
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
They can fade over time, but that's because of time, not exposure.  Heavy exposure usually makes things worse; light exposure can sometimes make things better.  It really depends on how the allergy developed and what you've done while you've had it.  These sorts of things usually aren't black or white, though.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:15 PM »
Used to be allergic to cats. Got one and it went away shortly after. Might have just been a coincidence. But I'm still allergic to dogs, even though I've been around those most of my life. So it cant be too easy to grow past an allergy.

Anyone ever get one of those allergy tests before? Those suck!