Author Topic: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)  (Read 101105 times)

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
Re: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2009, 10:53:29 PM »
I have to say this thread inspired me to check out Thrice. I've listened to The Artist in the Ambulence and Beggars all the way through. Absolutely amazing albums! I just finished The Alchemy Index Vol's I and II. Mindblowing stuff. Thanks for making this thread Gwii  :tup

Awesome.  Glad you like them!  :hat
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2009, 01:51:05 PM »
14. Digital Sea
Seeing them play this song live absolutely made the song much better. The effects and atmosphere it can create make it a very powerful track. It opens the Water disc in a way that really gets you going without spoiling any of the atmosphere.

13. Deadbolt
Their signature song, it really was a bright spot in their early career, setting up what would later become one of their most beloved albums. Probably one of the greatest songs of their early albums, and sums up what makes their hardcore side so great

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »
11. The Great Exchange
Yes, another mellow Beggars song. They're just that good. What makes this song truly memorable is the lyrics. When I first read the lyrics for the song I was like "What he's actually saying that? 0_o" They're mindblowing and a little depressing... yet still optimistic. Anyways, the song itself is also great, the chorus is another one of those great moments, the guitar riff throughout the song is pretty neat too. It also sounds like a water song despite the lack of electronic sound all the other water songs have had. It's the shortest song on the album but it leaves just as big of an impact as the rest of the songs on the album.

10. Music Box
This is a pretty cool softer song WAIT WHAT THE HECK THE SONG JUST EXPLODED? The intro deceived me the first time I heard the song for sure. This one took me a long time to get into, but it was worth it. It's probably up here because of the amazing numerous build-ups this song manages to accomplish. You know something big is coming when you here those chords before the chorus, and the song certainly doesn't disappoint. This is also one of my favorite vocal performances on the album - it's just really really good. There's a lot going on in this song but it comes together really nicely for a truly epic sound.

9. All The World Is Mad
My favorite Thrice album opener, with good reason. The song just sounds really cool, it's energetic yet not too fast paced, and yet again the chorus is marvelous. Heck, most Thrice songs have amazing choruses, I should just stop mentioning how great they are. The acoustic guitar interlude after the 2nd chorus leading into the bridge has the be the best part though, it's a neat little interlude with great build-up into the epic-sounding bridge. The ending is also really rockin' (not something I say about anything often) and a perfect way to end the song. This song definitely tells you what you should expect on the rest of the album, and it only has good things to say.

8 to go  ;) Some of my *weird* choices will be showing up soon.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
Glad to see The Great Exchange getting love. :tup
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »
I'm starting to like The Great Exchange a lot more (along with everything on the second half of Beggars).
My Soundclick Page

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2009, 05:10:09 PM »
Yay! A recruit!
Check out the Thrice survivor if you feel inclined. We always need more voters. Vheissu is up right now.

The Thrice crusade will live forever.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
I'm kinda sad to not see Digging My Own Grave anywhere else here.
It's by far one of my favorites.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
I'm kinda sad to not see Digging My Own Grave anywhere else here.
It's by far one of my favorites.

It's not in my top 20, but maybe top 30.
I agree it is a great song, and definitely underrated.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2009, 07:55:53 PM »
It's a pretty good song but it's hard to put it on my top 20 because Thrice has a LOT of really good songs.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2009, 10:24:01 AM »
Oh, and when we're done all the top 20s, we gotta start singing the songs again, like we did in the survivors.
Good times.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »
So I think Beggars is slowly overcoming Vheissu as my favorite Thrice album.  It's not quite there yet, but it's getting close.

All of the lyrics on Beggars are incredible.
My Soundclick Page

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2009, 12:41:11 PM »
Oh, and when we're done all the top 20s, we gotta start singing the songs again, like we did in the survivors.
Good times.

That would be fun, but it's just to waste time.  :P
I still have work to do, and that distracted me to no end.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »
8. Lost Continent
A very haunting song. This song has amazing atmosphere and amazing lyrics. This is one of the darkest Thrice songs I can think of... Kensrue's vocal performance fits the song's mood perfectly. The piano in this song is probably what really makes this song memorable... it provides the main atmosphere and closes the song off perfectly... there's not much to say about this song except that it's a great song.

7. Red Sky
What a way to close the album. This song is all kinds of epic - the chorus and the outro especially. It's a great way to close an already incredible album. Yet again the lyrics are amazing. The last section before the instrumental outro is probably the best part of the song - how could you not like that last "WE'LL RAISE AN EMPIRE... FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SEEEEEAAAA!!!!!" The guitar in this song is probably my favorite off the whole album as well, it just works so well. The outro lead especially is complex yet it sounds so cool. I just really love this song. I think I should stop writing descriptions for these songs now because I won't be able to put my feelings into words anymore .-.

So people don't seem to care about my list? Nobody's responding to it at all :(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:52:39 PM by Parama »

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »
No one pays attention to the emo kids that listen to Thrice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yapr0HMRC7k

Offline ZachyDou

• "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
So I think Beggars is slowly overcoming Vheissu as my favorite Thrice album.  It's not quite there yet, but it's getting close.

Alchemy Index is still what got me hooked. The sheer scope and variation of  it is mindblowing. Still my favorite.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2009, 06:10:16 PM »
So I think Beggars is slowly overcoming Vheissu as my favorite Thrice album.  It's not quite there yet, but it's getting close.

Alchemy Index is still what got me hooked. The sheer scope and variation of  it is mindblowing. Still my favorite.

Aye. Nothing beats the Whaler for sheer perfection (as far as Thrice goes)

Offline ZachyDou

• "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
Just about, although the album has a lot of their greatest work.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »
So I think Beggars is slowly overcoming Vheissu as my favorite Thrice album.  It's not quite there yet, but it's getting close.

Yep. Me too.
I find Thrice gets better with every album. Each one is more complete and deeper than the last.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2009, 06:23:33 PM »
6. For Miles
I love the guitar in this song. It's not that fast, it's not that technical, but it just sounds really cool. This song is also pretty unique in that it constantly evolves  - at first it's just the piano, then the vocals come in, then the drums, followed by the guitar finally entering in the chorus. After that there's the epic verse 2 which is lot a heavier than anything before it in the song, then the 2nd chorus which is much "louder" than the first. The only point where it dies down is the bridge following, but that makes the outro come in even heavier. The drums in this song are also really cool IMO. It's just a really well written song with some of my favorite guitar work from Thrice.

5. Child of Dust
Ah yes, the super-minimalistic song. This song is all about the atmosphere, and it all works so perfectly. The vocal performance is absolutely STUNNING, the lyrics are beautiful... never before has a 2 minute song left such an impact like this one does. There's just nothing I can say to describe how amazing this song is.

BONUS!!!!!

21. The Earth Will Shake
This song just BARELY didn't make the list. It's still a great song, what with the acoustic intro exploding into a riff that sounds heavier than it really is... how did they do that? Kensrue's growls in the chorus and outro are some of the best growls I've ever heard, and Thrice isn't normally a growling band even! The chant section is pretty cool and it builds up really well into the heavy chorus. Oh yeah and did I mention how epic the outro is? Because it is. Still just barely missed the list though.

Offline ZachyDou

• "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
Child Of Dust is pretty good, but Im under the impression that Im not getting the same vibe from it as everyone else is. I dunno; it just never blew me away like most people.
Still, great song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »
It's one of those "You get it or you don't get it" type songs. Not everybody is going to love it :(

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »
It's one of those "You get it or you don't get it" type songs. Not everybody is going to love it :(

I dig Child of Dust. The vocals win it over for me.
Also, I like the Earth Will Shake, but the repeating lyrics don't do much for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2009, 04:45:17 PM »
4. Daedalus
This was the first Thrice song I ever heard, about a year ago. Someone mentioned something about the band somewhere (I don't remember where, it wasn't this site) and so I searched the band name on YouTube and this was the song that came up. So I listened to it. Then the next day I bought the entire Alchemy Index  :P
That aside, this song is amazing. The guitar lines in the intro are some of my favorite Thrice guitar works. Kensrue's vocal performance on this song is amazing, especially in the choruses and the distorted vocal section at the end. The "heavy" part in the last 1 or 2 minutes is pretty awesome and somehow they can make it sound so much heavier than it is (heck, the guitar and bass are incredibly mellow the whole time - the drums are providing that awesome loud sound with the crash cymbal.) Anyways, this is a song I enjoy completely from beginning to end, definitely deserving of this spot.

Offline ZachyDou

• "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
Nice. That used to be favorite song, though after discovering other albums and songs, it's fallen a bit.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2009, 05:01:31 PM »
Nice. That used to be favorite song, though after discovering other albums and songs, it's fallen a bit.

This.
But it's still great!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »
It used to be my favorite Thrice song when I only had the Alchemy Index (and it's not my favorite Alchemy Index song anymore, hint hint) and it's still awesome but Thrice has a lot of REALLY REALLY good songs so #4 was the highest I could rank it.
Also, only one more *normal* song on my list.
EDIT: Y'know how I said my top 2 weren't featured on any list yet? My #3 is also not on any list yet... which is weird because I thought a lot of people like it a lot :-\

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »
3. Beggars
Title track at #3? That's lame, Parama, you fail LOLOLOL. But honestly, this song is just pure win. The two mellow verses are great, with a great performance by Kensrue and somber and slow chords from the guitar that add to the atmosphere really nicely. Lyrics are wonderful as well. The song really picks up for the heavier bridge, with probably my favorite vocal moment on the album next to In Exile's outro. There's nothing too complex about the song but it works so perfectly. The near silent final verse is a perfect way to close the album... but the outro is an EVEN better way. Another great instrumental outro, which is not quite as great as Circles' but just as epic and a great way to end an awesome album (and that album's presence in my top 20 as well - this is my #1 Beggars song.)

« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
12. Digging My Own Grave
A cool little tune, it has a very cool style to it. It has a very old style feel to it which makes the song really awesome. It has a real basic structure and just feels natural.

11. The Flame Deluge
What a monster of a track, it is so unrelenting, and it perfectly sums up the fire feel. The lyrics fit the theme and add to the atmosphere of the song. One of their heaviest songs that ends the Fire disc in a amazing way.

10. Deadalus
This song certainly gets a lot of jerking off in the fan base around here, and it deserves most of it. It is one of the more unique songs I have ever heard, and the emotional delivery by Dustin makes the ending haunting. The guitar work in the song is also very cool, adding a lot of style to the song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »
1. you spelled Daedalus wrong
2. the other two songs in that post are also great songs

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2009, 05:02:52 PM »
Ugh. I don't like The Flame Deluge.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »
No comment.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »
No comment.

It doesn't do much for me. It's just a bit weird a song to be on Fire.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »
No comment.

It doesn't do much for me. It's just a bit weird a song to be on Fire.
It fits on Fire better than it fits on any of the other discs, though.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »
Well, obviously. But it still feels out of place. It's not really a good style for Thrice. Not that I don't respect the effort of putting that kind of style on the record.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »
2. Between The End And Where We Lie
Every drum beat in this song is really cool. The vocal style covers many different styles (everything Thrice except the growls). Guitar riffs/lines are great, even though the presence of guitar in this song is minimal compared to most songs on the album. This song is also quite proggy, both with the time signature changes and the fusion of electronic with a modern rock sound. Now that all the technical stuff is over with, yes, this is my #2 Thrice song. It was actually #1 for a while even. I love everything about this song, I have no complaints, this song completely satisfies me every time I listen to it. It's just a great tune that happens to contain my favorite drum beat ever.
DTF sucks. Why did you vote it out so early?  :tdwn
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:00:02 PM by Parama »