Author Topic: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)  (Read 101079 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)
« Reply #1260 on: June 05, 2018, 07:05:17 PM »
Sounds pretty good, I should go back and listen to Thrice. It's been forever since I put on album on.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1261 on: June 05, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »
New song is pretty decent. more of the same, but decent

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1262 on: June 05, 2018, 07:08:01 PM »
No Minneapolis date on their upcoming tour. That sucks.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1263 on: June 05, 2018, 07:46:36 PM »
I never ever miss Thrice, unless I have to. They’re one of my top 5, so I’ll be at Chicago for sure.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1264 on: June 27, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
I got into Thrice basically just before they went on hiatus. I remember walking past their gig while they were playing a festival I was at, just because I thought they were just 'alright' at the time. A decision I went on to regret for years.

So the 17th of June 2018: There we were. And they were simply amazing. Starting off with Hurricane, the sound and energy was great, and Dustin sounded as good if not better than studio. Highlight after highlight, and suddenly my mate and I were discussing how great it would be if they'd play our favorite track (Daedalus). It was at that very moment when the band actually started to play Daedalus. My goodness. Seriously, a transcendent experience.

This is just that WOW factor that I'm always looking for when going to a concert. I like a lot of bands and I go to a lot of gigs. But there's only a few of them that can convey a true sense of 'magic' or you know, that 'higher' feeling. Maybe it has something to do with the religious undertones (I'm not religious myself), but Thrice just have IT. Definitely the best concert I've been to in 2018, and it's unlikely to be topped.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1265 on: June 27, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
Welcome, and I’m glad you understand how amazing they are live. You hit it on the head when you said they create magic, cuz it’s stupid how great they are live! I’m always dying to talk to more hardcore fans of this band, cuz I seriously cannot get enough. Bring on that new album!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1266 on: July 11, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »
'Palms' is out 9/14. I'm so excited, this is my most anticipated release of the year!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/thrice-the-grey-video-released-palms-album-due-in-september/

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:05 PM »
Nice :tup I was giving Thrice some spins a few weeks ago and I'm eagerly waiting to hear this album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1268 on: August 14, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
Another new song ‘Only Us’ and it’s awesome! Cannot wait for the new album, we’re exactly one month away!

https://youtu.be/BcLIQjnsvbE

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1269 on: August 14, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »
This track is just incredible, I can't stop listening to it. WAY better than The Grey. Literally every single melody is a statement of intent, you can just feel the song building. Awesomely intensifying arrangement that culminates in an amazing explosion of heaviness. But the greatest thing going for it, for better or worse, is that ultra simple chorus melody. This band should be playing stadiums, I can just hear thousands of people belting this one out like their lives depend on it.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1270 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:28 PM »
This track is just incredible, I can't stop listening to it. WAY better than The Grey. Literally every single melody is a statement of intent, you can just feel the song building. Awesomely intensifying arrangement that culminates in an amazing explosion of heaviness. But the greatest thing going for it, for better or worse, is that ultra simple chorus melody. This band should be playing stadiums, I can just hear thousands of people belting this one out like their lives depend on it.

I agree with everything you said.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1271 on: September 14, 2018, 06:23:10 AM »
New album, Palms is out today. Giving it my first listen now. My initial reaction so far is that I like it, but I wish it was heavier. It mostly sounds like stuff that would have fit well on TBEITBN.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1272 on: September 14, 2018, 08:36:36 AM »
I’ve listened to it a few times already and I enjoy it a lot! Favorites are Beyond The Pines, Everything Belongs, and Only Us. I just wish the songs were longer; I feel that they could’ve extended the cooler parts of the songs a bit more, some of them end a little abruptly. But I like how this album is completely different than the last one. Can’t wait to see them next month, this tour is gonna be great!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1273 on: September 18, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
Not a lot of interest in the new Thrice album? I thought there were a bunch of fans here.

After 3-4 listens, my original impressions still hold. I like the album a lot, but I wish it were heavier. I've thought that about the last few albums though, so it's unlikely I'll ever get my wish. Still need to give it more listens on a louder sound system than just my earbuds at work to get a really great impression of it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1274 on: September 18, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
Thrice is one of my favorite bands. I listened to the new album when it came out and it is ok, just like the last one was ok. They no longer blow my mind. I wish I could say otherwise.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1275 on: September 19, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »
Thrice is one of my favorite bands. I listened to the new album when it came out and it is ok, just like the last one was ok. They no longer blow my mind. I wish I could say otherwise.
I'm with you to an extent. I've still very much enjoyed the last few albums, but they're definitely not as good as their best. There are always a few songs I really like and some that are just OK. I think my biggest disappointment is that after altering their sound quite a bit with each album up through Beggars, every album since Beggars has had the same basic sound. They're different enough to be interesting, but after setting us up to expect the unexpected with each now album, that has been a bit of a disappointment. As I've said already, I'd love for them to return to a heavier sound for an album, TBEITBN was a slight step heavier, but now Palms is less heavy again. Thrice is still one of my top 3 bands and I still lvoe getting new music from them, but it would be nice to be blown away by one of their albums again.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1276 on: September 19, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »
I tried listening to the album today at work and I almost got through it. Started off strong with 'Only Us' but at some point there was a song that put me off so much I stopped altogether (A Branch In The River). The rest of the album wasn't bad but just sounded like more TBEITBN, but that one is honestly the first Thrice song I heard that I genuinely find bad (I don't know all their albums though). Maybe I'll give the album another chance some time but currently not rating it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1277 on: September 19, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »
As strong as the opening track is, this album at the moment disappoints my high expectations. I don’t have a rational explanation yet, but compared to what Thrice is capable of.. I’m not that impressed.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:00 PM »
Listened through the new album a couple of days ago and it was ok. Probably bottom tier Thrice album for me.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1279 on: September 19, 2018, 09:38:29 PM »
It definitely is the weakest of the all the post-Alchemy Index albums no doubt. But I still enjoy it from front to back. IMO, these guys don’t have a bad album.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1280 on: July 04, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
What album should I check out? Haven't heard much and they're headlining Disrupt Festival.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1281 on: July 04, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
Beggars or Vhiessu (especially the former as it's their best & probably more in line with what they'll be playing nowadays)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1282 on: July 04, 2019, 04:51:42 PM »
Beggars or Vhiessu (especially the former as it's their best & probably more in line with what they'll be playing nowadays)

Will check them out after I give their recent release
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1283 on: July 06, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »
Vheissu is their greatest work by far IMO. One of my top favorite albums of all time.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1284 on: July 06, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »
Vheissu is really excellent and very well balanced. Kind of has their old sound, kind of has their new sound. All around great album.

When I went to go see them live, I had never heard Illusion of safety or Artist in the ambulance, but seeing them live made me a massive fan of those albums. Very raw, in your face, aggressive, high energy, catchy albums.

Fire/Water and Air/Earth are very deep and beautiful albums. Much more laid back then their first few albums.

Beggars is great. Wood and Wire and Circles are utterly incredible songs.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: July 06, 2019, 11:54:11 AM »
I didn't realize they had a thread here, but I saw them last weekend at Warped Tour, here's my video:

Thrice - Silhouette LIVE @ Warped Tour 25th Atlantic City NJ 2019

and I'm about to see them again tonight at Disrupt Festival.  I wasn't really familiar with them at all, but been listening to the songs that I saw https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/thrice/2019/atlantic-city-beach-atlantic-city-nj-5b9167a8.html and they're pretty solid.  Their hit song is a good one for sure, Black Honey.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1286 on: July 06, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »
What album should I check out? Haven't heard much and they're headlining Disrupt Festival.

I wouldn't expect it to get hardly any play in that set, but The Alchemy Index (both albums) would be my recommendation.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1287 on: September 17, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
The boys are hitting the road early next year playing Vheissu in its entirety for the 15th anniversary.

There is no way in hell I am missing this. Vheissu is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. I’ve been asking for it for years and it’s actually happening! 🤘🤘

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1288 on: September 17, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
oh hell yes, hope they do a show near me

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1289 on: September 18, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
I'll definitely hit up the Minneapolis show on this tour. Love Vheissu!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: February 09, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »
The boys are hitting the road early next year playing Vheissu in its entirety for the 15th anniversary.

There is no way in hell I am missing this. Vheissu is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. I’ve been asking for it for years and it’s actually happening! 🤘🤘

so this show is tonight at my local ballroom.  Wasn't on my radar as I'm not a huge Thrice fan, but saw them twice last year as my introduction (at Warped Tour and at Disrupt Festival).  I've got no plans tonight and this is local so just scooped up a second hand ticket for $20 after fees right before the show starts  :metal I'll head over in a bit

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1291 on: February 09, 2020, 10:25:26 PM »

so this show is tonight at my local ballroom.  Wasn't on my radar as I'm not a huge Thrice fan, but saw them twice last year as my introduction (at Warped Tour and at Disrupt Festival).  I've got no plans tonight and this is local so just scooped up a second hand ticket for $20 after fees right before the show starts  :metal I'll head over in a bit

Enjoy the show....they are way better headlining their own show than any festival.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: August 11, 2021, 11:27:48 AM »
How was the show Marc? I saw a few days ago that they are coming here in October, I think I'll go check them out.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1294 on: August 11, 2021, 11:34:16 AM »
New Thrice news

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/thrice-releases-new-single-robot-soft-exorcism/
These 2 new songs are awesome. I’m really looking forward to the new album and tour!