Author Topic: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)  (Read 101074 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Gwii's Top 20 Thrice Songs
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »
Seeing this list is great, because I just got into Thrice after playing 'The Alchemy Index' once in a while. 'Beggars' is what really made me appreciate them a whole lot more. Since then I'm actually going out of my way to dig into the entire 'Index' and some of the older albums too. I just can't get into the smooth emo metal of 'Artist in the Ambulance' though. I'm sure it's a whole lot more than that, but that's what it sounds like to me right now.

I was working tonight, and this 'Come All You Weary' song is just stuck in my head, after just three plays of it. It's absolutely brilliant songwriting. I was wondering if this was a cover of a 'classic' folk song, but they wrote it themselves? Amazing.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2009, 07:36:41 PM »
God dammit Gwii

I would love to sort of do a dual list with someone else, to see the contrast of taste, seeing as how thrice cover many genres. If anyone is interested in anything of the sort i would be willing to go with it.

I'd be up for it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »
Alright, I will start my list tomorrow, you can go whenever.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2009, 08:09:17 PM »
WHAT I ASKED FIRST

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2009, 08:10:34 PM »
then lets have a threesome

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
Well then I need to get to building my list from the top down, see you eventually
EDIT: So I've got the list nearly finished... but not quite.
The problem: I have 22 songs on the list so far. I can't get rid of the last two without the list feeling incomplete, though. And I don't have anymore songs I feel like I NEED to include on the list like I do for everything so far. So I might end up with a top 22 list .-.
EDIT2: I just chopped off the bottom one and #21 will be mentioned before I start the top 5. There, now I can make a top 20 list with 21 songs on it  :P
Like I stated earlier, this is only the most recent 3 albums. Even such, picking only 20 was HARD.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:40:51 PM by Parama »

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »
Too late fools! Here's my top 20:

20. The Arsonist - Not much can be said about this song. Plenty can be shouted: THERE'S TRUTH BENEATH THE FLOORBOARDS!

19. Open Water - Water is a great album. Open Water is the first of 4 Water pieces in my top 20. I love the graceful feel and bubbly background sounds.

18. Under a Killing Moon - The first Thrice song I ever heard (from a Warped Tour mix CD). I still love it to this day. It's short, but it kicks ass.

17. Child of Dust - A great accapela song. I belt this one out whenever I can. A terrific ending to The Alchemy Index, and a song that I would love to see live.

16. Backdraft - My favourite off of Fire. It's not as unusual as The Flame Deluge, and as simply kickass as Firebreather or The Arsonist, but it's another very solid piece, built into a somewhat unorthodox quater of The Alchemy Index.

15. Broken Lungs - Air opens with a great piece. Gwii said it all. It doesn't overdue it, but it captivating enough to warrant many, many listens.

14. Moving Mountains - One of Thrice's great acoustic ballads. I love the groove in this one. An instant favourite of mine, it remains my favourite on Earth.

13. Digital Sea - Another great Water piece. Digital Sea is a classic among Thrice fans. Most love it, and for good reason. It's great to sing along to, and the distortion at the end is still among my favourite Thrice tricks.

12. Stare at the Sun - One of the centerpieces of Thrice's success, Stare at the Sun is as important as it is awesome. Watching it on Live at the House of Blues makes it even better.

11. The Artist in the Ambulance - Another important Thrice song. The Artist another early Thrice song that I heard, and I found it instantly captivating.

10. Atlantic - An unusual piece that I only started to appreciate recently. One of Kensrue's early great vocal songs. The chorus is chilling in a way that is only reached in a few songs.

9. Doublespeak - The most noticeably different piece off of Beggars, Doublespeak just simply rocks. It has all the workings of a great song: cool chorus, unusual catch, and a great groove.

8. Image of the Invisible - I don't think I've ever listened to this song without air-drumming to the bridge. So much about this song rules.

7. Music Box - Another recent favourite of mine. Music Box is so strange, but I enjoy it so much. It's got a great chorus, plus the classical japanese vibe makes it wicked neat.

6. Daedalus - Thrice's epic. It deserves to be on everyone's top 20 list. Great story, and it holds Air and the rest of The Index together so firmly.

5. Lost Continent - Thrice are band all about ocean stories. Atlantic, Open Water, and Digital Sea are among the greats. And the list is not through with them yet. Lost Continent is another great Water piece. It tells an age-old story, and Kensrue delivers it convincingly.

4. Wood and Wire - This song is really sad. Kensrue's lyrics and vocal performance really sell it for me. The drab setting, the last piece of hope the man clings to. It's haunting. Beggars delivers the sadness for me.

3. In Exile - Gwii said it. Kensrue gets struck by some divine power while recording Beggars and every performance he gives is outstanding. The ending is pure genius. It's chilling just how well he conveys the "exiled" feel of the song, finshing it with a lonely vocal melody.

2. The Whaler - Another ocean song! My long-time favourite Thrice song, only dethroned recently after the release of Beggars. The emotion and beauty put forth by Dustin and the rest of the guys is amazing. I hope to one day cover this song, as well. It's one of the great songs to sing along to.

1. The Great Exchange - Yeah, my top song is an ocean song. As soon as I read the lyrics I was in love. Not only is it my favourite Thrice song, I consider my favourite song of all time at the moment. The story tells the most heartfelt tale of human decency. The great exchange of one life for another; an enemy's life at that. I tear up when I hear it, and to me, it is the pillar of greatness that Beggars is built around.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2009, 09:11:01 PM »
I'm happy to see that Lost Continent and The Great Exchange are getting some love :D
And Music Box is indeed an awesome song.
I do find it strange that neither of my top two have made a top 20 list yet  :tdwn

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »
Interesting list setrataeso  :tup
My Soundclick Page

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »
Why Daedalus didn't make the list:

I fail terribly, shot JFK from the grassy knoll, am responsible for the Tunguska event, drove the dinosaurs into extinction, and I am the Antichrist.

Ah, that explains it.

I also am responsible for H1N1 and the recession.

And I broke the dam.

2012 is also your fault.  :lol
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2009, 12:39:37 AM »
Why Daedalus didn't make the list:

I fail terribly, shot JFK from the grassy knoll, am responsible for the Tunguska event, drove the dinosaurs into extinction, and I am the Antichrist.

Ah, that explains it.

I also am responsible for H1N1 and the recession.

And I broke the dam.

2012 is also your fault.  :lol

Don't blame me for that horrible movie :neverusethis:
My Soundclick Page

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2009, 06:43:50 AM »
So I'm probably going to post my first few once I get back home later today (gonna be out for a while)
My strange top 20 will begin after that. If you though Gwii's list failed.... mine isn't as fail but it as ha lot of weird choices nonetheless <_<

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »
Wait, The Great Exchange is an "ocean (or water)" song?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2009, 08:58:38 AM »
God dammit Gwii

Yes?

:lol I was kinda drunk and forgot that I had already commented on your fail.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »

No, it's not
My Soundclick Page

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »

No, it's not

Yeah it is. It's a tale of a man who joins a sea crew and undergo mutiny, sentencing their captain to die. When his ship goes down, the man swims for his life. When all hope seems lost, the captain, floating on a beam, drags him onto it and drowns, sacrificing his life to save his enemy's. What part of that is not an ocean tale?

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »

No, it's not

Yeah it is. It's a tale of a man who joins a sea crew and undergo mutiny, sentencing their captain to die. When his ship goes down, the man swims for his life. When all hope seems lost, the captain, floating on a beam, drags him onto it and drowns, sacrificing his life to save his enemy's. What part of that is not an ocean tale?

Oh, I was thinking in terms of "water" as in the Alchemy Index water CD.
My Soundclick Page

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »

No, it's not

Well, assuming the boat they were on was made of wood, then the wood represents the earth. Therefore, its more of an anti-water song, since the water represents death, while the beam of the ship, represents earth. Earth = life.

Yup.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2009, 12:32:01 PM »

No, it's not

Well, assuming the boat they were on was made of wood, then the wood represents the earth. Therefore, its more of an anti-water song, since the water represents death, while the beam of the ship, represents earth. Earth = life.

Yup.

Well, I meant more in the literal sense. But sure, lets go with that.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »
20. In Exile
This song has great build-up and an amazing vocal performance by Kensrue. Really mellow at the beginning but by the end there's so much going on and it has quite an epic feel. The chorus is probably what got it onto the list, though. It's just a cool song and it works really well. The outro vocals are probably the best moment of the album in terms of vocals, just a great performance that works really well with the song.

19. Atlantic
This song was the one the left the biggest impression on me when I first heard Vhiessu. The intro melody gave me chills when I first heard it, and it made me want to come back and listen to the album again. Of course, it's not my favorite or even near my favorite on the album now, but it's a solid song, nice electronic feel to it, and there's a lot of neat little touches that make the song sound really vast in scope. The lyrics are some of the best on the album as well. They've never really done anything quite like it since.

18. Wood And Wire
Another one of the mellow songs on Beggars, and some of the best lyrics as well. The delivery of the vocals is what really makes them shine, though. The chorus is amazing, one of the best Thrice has ever done. The final line leading into the outro is a fine moment indeed. The music of the song is, of course, amazing as most of the mellower Thrice songs seem to be.

17. Broken Lungs
The opener of the Air disc and quite a memorable one. The quiet intro may deceive you at first but this song has one of the heaviest moments on the disc. This song is memorable to me because of its amazing outro... great balance between loud and soft. There's not much else to say except that I enjoy this song from beginning to end.

16. Image Of The Invisible
Great upbeat song, the drums in this track are especially amazing, and especially epic-sounding in the outro. I love the chants in the verses and the chorus has great vocal harmonies, along with a great guitar line. The quiet bridge has great buildup (especially thanks to the drums :P). Overall the song is incredibly solid from beginning to end, there's nothing about it that seems flawed.

Note: I type up these descriptions while listening to the songs so I make sure that I don't miss anything.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2009, 01:47:01 PM »

No, it's not

Oh, I was thinking in terms of "water" as in the Alchemy Index water CD.

This.

I'll probably order Beggars next week. :biggrin:

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
I'm happy to see that Lost Continent and The Great Exchange are getting some love :D
I do find it strange that neither of my top two have made a top 20 list yet  :tdwn

What are your top two?

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
20. Firebreather
A powerful introduction to a powerful disc. Seeing this live was one of the best concert experiences I have ever had. It's just a simple, straight up rocker that is bound to get you moving. Not to mention it has a awesomely epic ending. It's just all around a very strong song.

19. The Abolition of Man
Again, another rocking song that just doesn't let up. It has a very punk rockish beginning to it, setting up the ideas of the song. Then it moves over to the ball crushing ending to the song, probably the most epic song ending I've heard. A perfect delivery of harsh vocals that actually serve to propel the message of the song, rather than used just for the sake of it.

18. All The World Is Mad
Groovy tune, really would never expect Thrice to make a song like this. With each album I feel Thrice's lyrics just get better and better, and this song only reaffirms my beliefs. One of my favorite just plain rock songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »

What are your top two?
When I finish my list you'll know <_<

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »
No love for paper tigers in any of these lists? It's my favourite track off TAITA.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »
I guess Ill do mine. Im not gonna bother explaining myself, though.
This is in a VERY loose order, I just thought I'd share my quickly thrown together top 20. The top 5 are not really in any particular order, I just couldnt decide.

Firebreather
The Sky Is Falling
Burn The Fleet
The Lion And The Wolf
Image Of The Invisible
Backdraft
Wood And Wire
The Artist In The Ambulence
In Exile
Music Box
Moving Mountains
Circles
The Great Exchange
Stare At The Sun
The Weight
Daedalus
The Whaler
Red Telephone (lol wut bonus song in top 5)
Digging My Own Grave
Broken Lungs

Again, loose order.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »
My top 2 are still excluded from every full list so far  :P

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2009, 12:13:29 AM »
My top 2 are still excluded from every full list so far  :P

T&C? Deadbolt? Trust?
My Soundclick Page

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »
I only have the most recent 3 albums and I don't think any of those songs are on them  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
15. Circles
Yes, another mellow Beggars song. Probably the mellowest of them all, this song has almost an ambient feel to it at times. The chorus is pretty cool too. This is probably here because I really like the instrumental outro to this song... especially the little bit right before the tremolo picking. It's just a cool way to end the song in my opinion, and works really well in such a mellow song, being the loudest part by far. Not much else to say except that this is a really neat song.

14. Firebreather
The contrast between mellow and heavy during the verses really works well, and the chorus has an epic feel to it, heavy yet rather slow but building up to something... Great album opener as well, basically prepares you for the rest of the disc, though this is actually one of the lighter songs on Fire. What really gets me is the long outro (everything after the 2nd chorus). Great riff, nice "whoa" vocals, and it doesn't feel too long like some outros can. Oh and it has time signature changes that work really well.

13. Burn The Fleet
More of a straightforward song, but definitely one of the best vocal performances on The Alchemy Index. Another one of those epic sounding songs, lyrics are amazing as well. I also really like the drums in this song, really add to the feel of the song and there's a lot of subtle things that make a big difference. The "solo" is one of those solos that doesn't need any technicality to sound good (Thrice has never really been about technical guitar playing as far as I can tell - just great songwriting and amazing lyrics.)

12. Night Diving
"But Parama, if Thrice is about the lyrics, then why are you putting an instrumental song on your list?" Well dur, it's an amazing instrumental song. Great guitar riffs, nice contrast between the mellow and the heavy, probably the song that best captures the "water" sound out of all of Thrice's songs. There's so much going on this song that it takes many listens to fully appreciate it, but when it comes down to it this is just an awesome song that I feel wouldn't work nearly as well with lyrics. Heck, the song's only half over at this point but I have nothing left to say (Fates Warning is pretty cool too) so I'm just gonna listen to the rest of the song now, bye!

So there's a nice Alchemy Index combo for you all.

Also can you change the thread title please Gwii?  ::)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:02:20 PM by Parama »

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »
Yeah, I think at this point, we could change this to The Thrice Thread or something.

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »
17. Silver Wings
A really short, but very solid track. It is a perfect representation of what they were trying to accomplish with the elements idea, and it fits air perfectly. One of Thrice's simple songs, but it works very well.

16. Paper Tigers
Well, a very strange track in comparison to the rest of the album. Probably Thrice's only straight up metal song. But man, it is a very bad ass tune. The chorus is so skullfuckingly epic, and has some awesome drum and bass work. And it showcases Dustin's A-Grade screaming vocals.

15. Red Sky

A great ending to one of their best albums. It has some really interesting lyrics, as do most of Thrice's songs. And the way it ends with the awesome instrumental section just finishes the album perfectly.

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
Re: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
I have to say this thread inspired me to check out Thrice. I've listened to The Artist in the Ambulence and Beggars all the way through. Absolutely amazing albums! I just finished The Alchemy Index Vol's I and II. Mindblowing stuff. Thanks for making this thread Gwii  :tup
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
Yay! A recruit!
Check out the Thrice survivor if you feel inclined. We always need more voters. Vheissu is up right now.