Author Topic: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)  (Read 102819 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)
« Reply #980 on: October 12, 2011, 12:18:17 PM »
The new album is so good! :hefdaddy

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #981 on: October 15, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »
I remember the first time I listened to it... I wasn't convinced at all. But it's growing on me day after day! It's a really fantastic album from start to finish, not a bad song on it. They done it again! :metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #982 on: October 15, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
But it's growing on me day after day!

AND NIGHT AFTER NIGHT
REPLAYING THE NEW DISC
DID YOU EVER LISTEN TO IT RIGHT?
OVER AND OVER
SONG BY SONG
IT'S SEXIER THAN DUSTIN KENSRUE WEARING A BEACH THONG

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #984 on: October 15, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »
You just had me literally giggling like a school girl :rollin

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #985 on: October 16, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
:rollin :rollin
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #986 on: October 16, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
NYC show tonight. So pumped.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #987 on: October 16, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
I want to see thrice live SO bad. Play Sheffield damn it!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #988 on: October 16, 2011, 10:20:13 PM »
So they played "Firebreather" followed immediately by "The Earth Will Shake". I'm pretty sure the girl in front of my is now carrying my seed.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #989 on: October 17, 2011, 06:14:34 AM »
You're soooo lucky. They came to Virginia a week ago but I had a cross country meet the same day. :(

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #990 on: October 17, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »
The new album is totally making me re-analyze Beggars ( a record that I had basically overlooked)...upon further review I am finding it very enjoyable.  The new album just slays.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #991 on: October 17, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
So pumped for the show tomorrow in Boston! :caffeine:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #992 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
So they played "Firebreather" followed immediately by "The Earth Will Shake". I'm pretty sure the girl in front of my is now carrying my seed.

:lol

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #993 on: November 06, 2011, 08:24:25 AM »

Offline faemir

« Reply #994 on: November 06, 2011, 09:18:22 AM »
sweet, i love promises!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #995 on: November 06, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »
The video is OK. Not a fan of those blurry effects as they get annoying quickly.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #996 on: November 08, 2011, 11:01:06 AM »
So there's this dude I know, ehs cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything yadda yadda and he's excite cuz he's seeing Thrice TONIGHT!!!!  :metal  :metal

Spoiler alert for anyone who didn't get the subtext above:  he's me!!  :laugh:

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #997 on: November 08, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
Child of Dust is such an awesome song.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #998 on: November 08, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
Child of Dust is such an awesome song.
Yup.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #999 on: November 09, 2011, 09:47:54 AM »

This!

Also for those that saw them on this tour, what'd you think of the opening acts?  I missed Moving Mountains, caught the tail end of O'Brother's set- they were alright I guess, I could dig what they were trying to do but they were a little boring for my tastes.  The tunes I heard didn't really go anywhere or do anything.  But the more I think about it I really dug La Dispute.  The music was awesome, and I really really dug the frontman's energy but I'm not sure how I feel about his talking/rapping/whatever vocal style.  The screamy stuff during hardcore/heavy parts was awesome, but the way he talked or whatever over the mellow/trippy parts was kind of lame to me.  Would have been nice to hear some vocal melody at those parts, but I still I think I may look into that band further.

All in all, awesome show!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1000 on: November 09, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
Thrice had 3 opening acts?! (maybe I just misunderstood your post)
But if so, that's lame.  :\

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1001 on: November 09, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »
They did.  Why's that lame?  I like opening acts, good way to discover bands that you normally wouldn't hear about.  It's hit and miss sure, but I've discovered a lot of good bands that way.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1002 on: November 09, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like opening acts myself, but I think that one is probably "enough", I could probably do with two, but I figure that three would mean a shorter set by Thrice, for how long did they play?
If they only played 1 ½ hour or so, I would have preferred 30 more minutes by Thrice and one less opening band, if you catch my drift. :P

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1003 on: November 09, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »
Yeah I figured that was what you were getting at, and I'm right there with ya  :tup

Their set was only 1 1/2 hours long and I definitely wanted more, but it was awesome for what it was!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1004 on: November 12, 2011, 10:30:43 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/vagrantrecords/thrice-words-in-the-water-polaris

I'm not normally one for remixes but this was absolutely amazing.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #1005 on: November 12, 2011, 10:58:01 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/vagrantrecords/thrice-words-in-the-water-polaris

I'm not normally one for remixes but this was absolutely amazing.

That was pretty damn cool - especially the chorus, the strings in the background were gorgeous.

Still prefer the original, but then the original is riding high on my 'top songs of 2011' list.

Offline faemir

« Reply #1006 on: November 12, 2011, 07:33:59 PM »
Wow. that's great.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1007 on: November 12, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »
Really nice!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1008 on: November 20, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
eh since I've been doing track-by-tracks on the other new stuff I got this year might as well do this one too and bump the thread in the process

Yellow Belly: Awesome opener. Chorus is my favorite part but it's all pretty awesome.

Promises: Great song, but ranks near the bottom for me. Just doesn't stand out on this particular album.

Blinded: Am I the only one that thinks this sounds somewhat similar to At the Last? It even has the same general theme to it... regardless, this song is still one of my favorites.

Cataracts: Eh... this one doesn't do that much for me. It actually feels a bit out of place.

Call it in the Air: Was my least favorite for a while, then I realized it was awesome. Not much else to say.

Treading Paper: One of the songs that caught my attention the most on early listens, still think it's pretty great but probably ranks in the middle now

Blur: I love this song. It's so concise, so loud, and just full of energy.

Words in the Water: I also love this song. Definitely the most "beautiful" song on the album (though just barely) plus those vocals hell yes thank you

Listen Through Me: This one always came off as being one of my least favorites until I realized that that's just because it doesn't compare to how good Words in the Water is, but is still really good on its own merits.

Anthology: The best song on the album. I mean... yeah, speaks for itself. I love this song. Dear god I love this song.

Disarmed: This one reminds me a lot of Red Sky... similar structure mostly. But anyways... also quite a beautiful song, second to Words in the Water. Great way to close the album (just like Red Sky was... what a coincidence! :U)

So overall this is definitely the most solid album I've gotten from this year and also ranks really high... seems like it'll stand the test of time, too, since I'm rather tired of the other two albums I got around the same time. May very well end up as my album of the year.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1009 on: November 21, 2011, 12:30:56 AM »
So, the only song I've ever heard by this band is For Miles; I heard it years and years ago and a friend of mine played it in the car tonight and... WOW. I came. The middle part where it's just the repeating guitar line and then he breaks into the screaming is amazing; we were just toking it up driving along this back road and the top was down, no one around, and we were doing about 110. It was like fornicating on a big titty. Anyway, I asked my friend where to start with this band and he completely overwhelmed me with his zealous speech about how fantastic every song and album is.  :lol So I ask, this being the only song I've ever heard, what's the rest of their discography like? Are they diverse, or is their sound generally the same? I've heard about them from other friends and I think I might have caught a couple other songs on the radio, but only bits and pieces. But if they have the same power as they do with For Miles, I can see myself really getting into them.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1010 on: November 21, 2011, 08:58:27 AM »
For Miles is far from their best song... and their discography is overall pretty diverse. You really can't go wrong with any of their last 4-5 albums.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1011 on: November 21, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
For Miles is awesome, one of my favorites from Vheissu for sure.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1012 on: November 21, 2011, 09:30:23 AM »
So, the only song I've ever heard by this band is For Miles; I heard it years and years ago and a friend of mine played it in the car tonight and... WOW. I came. The middle part where it's just the repeating guitar line and then he breaks into the screaming is amazing; we were just toking it up driving along this back road and the top was down, no one around, and we were doing about 110. It was like fornicating on a big titty. Anyway, I asked my friend where to start with this band and he completely overwhelmed me with his zealous speech about how fantastic every song and album is.  :lol So I ask, this being the only song I've ever heard, what's the rest of their discography like? Are they diverse, or is their sound generally the same? I've heard about them from other friends and I think I might have caught a couple other songs on the radio, but only bits and pieces. But if they have the same power as they do with For Miles, I can see myself really getting into them.

They released 4 EP's as an album title The Alchemy Index. Each EP represents a different element and the mood of each EP matches the element:

Fire: Heavy, volatile, sometimes unrelenting, feels like phaser effects in some places
Water: Digital at times, feeling of being submerged, a lot of reverb/delay to give it the ffect that you're in water listening to it
Air: Feels lighter and more confined with some good atmosphere, a lot tighter and much less distortion
Earth: Stripped down, more acoustic and piano, very raw sounding, as if they were becoming dirt (weird way to describe it, but it's really cool).

Each EP is 6 songs long. The last song of each EP uses the same melodies for the verses and the final outro verse, along with the same chords.

They really made something special with TAI, in my opinion. Really thorough and a lot of cool things and nuggets.

From there, I would recommend the Fire EP. This entire album takes a good amount of time to appreciate (I think) and catch what it is all about.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1014 on: November 21, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »
:(

Seeing as they only tour USA, it doesn't quite bother me as much, but the fact that we wont get new albums (for a while at least) makes me rather sad.