Author Topic: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)  (Read 102744 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Thrice Thread (Top 20's Included)
« Reply #1295 on: August 11, 2021, 11:41:33 AM »
How was the show Marc? I saw a few days ago that they are coming here in October, I think I'll go check them out.

Damn that was in 2020 before the pandemic hit  :lol It was good, but I can't immediately recall specifics.  I'm not quite the huge Thrice fan to really spit out details.  I remember having fun and that it was a pretty dark (in terms of lighting) show.  They are actually coming around this fall to the same venue, it's not currently on my concert list, but not out of the realm of possibility that I end up going.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: August 11, 2021, 11:45:07 AM »
Woah that was completely my mistake, I saw that Thrice is coming to my town and clicked on this thread thinking it was the 2021 concerts thread which I then thought you just saw them :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: August 11, 2021, 11:47:05 AM »
 :lol it's all good, I was surprised to see my comment being one of the recent ones and yet from so long ago, plus it seems I never followed up with a review which I typically try to do.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1298 on: August 12, 2021, 01:58:27 AM »
New Thrice news

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/thrice-releases-new-single-robot-soft-exorcism/
These 2 new songs are awesome. I’m really looking forward to the new album and tour!

I agree. Can’t stop playing them, this has me extremely psyched. The direction seems more ambitious and more in line with their approach on Beggars, The Alchemy Index or even Vheissu. And damn, Teppei’s produced this - this is the best and most hi-fi they’ve ever sounded in the studio as far as I’m concerned.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1299 on: September 18, 2021, 06:04:11 AM »
New album came out yesterday for those interested. I personally think it could be their best since Beggars. Really great stuff.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: September 18, 2021, 07:24:24 AM »
I'm looking forward to checking it out later this week.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1301 on: September 19, 2021, 09:21:11 AM »
Just discovered this band, thank you DTF.
Loving The Colour of the Sky. The drum work is incredible!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1302 on: September 19, 2021, 09:35:49 AM »
Been listening to Artist in the ambulance and Illusion of safety on heavy rotation lately.

Great albums to get motivated and focused on things.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1303 on: September 19, 2021, 09:50:44 AM »
Big fan of Artist in the Ambulance...haven't listened to it in a while, and I should remedy that.

That and Vheissu are my favorite Thrice albums. I thought their comeback of sorts "To be everywhere..." was really good, but then for some reason I don't think I've ever checked out the follow-up (Palms)...

Started listening to Horizons/East as we speak...The Color of the Sky is great!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1304 on: September 19, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
Welcome and enjoy the ride! Check out Vheissu if you haven’t already - it’s widely regarded as their finest album.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1305 on: September 20, 2021, 09:17:08 AM »
Welcome and enjoy the ride! Check out Vheissu if you haven’t already - it’s widely regarded as their finest album.

Thank you! Added to the queue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1306 on: September 20, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »
would've loved to like this album but Kensrue's voice is so shot the entire record I found it hard to listen to. the music might be good idk hard to pay attention to it

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1307 on: September 20, 2021, 11:46:45 AM »
I found his voice a bit ragged, but not to the point of being distracting...do you feel it's in significantly worse shape than in the last couple records?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1308 on: September 20, 2021, 12:32:22 PM »
i'll be honest i listened to palms like twice so i don't remember much of it but he sounds worse than he's ever sounded here for sure, though i feel like it's been a slow decline over the last few records since the reunion. didn't have this problem with to be everything is to be nothing at least.

another music guy outside of DTF i talked to also immediately noticed the same issues but wasn't as bothered by them as i was either so it's probably just my hangup because i know how good kensrue sounded at his best

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1309 on: September 20, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
Only one listen in, so it's early, but I really liked it. First impression was first half (roughly) is stronger than the second...although the closer is very interesting...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1310 on: September 21, 2021, 12:14:29 AM »
I honestly haven't noticed an issue with his voice so far. It's always had a gravelly sort of edge to it which is one of the things I love about it (gives his singing a lot of warmth and emotion) and I've probably just been enjoying the songs too much to really notice.

Overall I'm loving the album. It's a great balance of the experimentation from Palms with the energy and intensity of their mid-era albums. Great stuff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1311 on: September 21, 2021, 01:45:00 AM »
I'm not really a huge fan but I liked Palms, and I like this new record.

Thinking about it, I know a friend lent me The Artist in the Ambulance and Vheissu back in like '09. I really wasn't into either album and I don't think I even listened to Thrice again until Cyril sent me Words in Water in my first roulette. I've only listened to The Alchemy Index through to their latest since then. I guess I better go revisit their early albums  :corn

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1312 on: September 21, 2021, 02:39:43 AM »
I'm curious to check out this new album even though I thought Palms was their worst album by a margin. I can't even remember a single song from it.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1313 on: September 20, 2022, 08:51:46 AM »
New song released called Open Your Eyes and Dream. I like it better than most of their new stuff the last few years.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1314 on: September 20, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
Yeah, it’s another B-side from Horizons/East

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #1315 on: September 21, 2022, 11:52:29 AM »
New song released called Open Your Eyes and Dream. I like it better than most of their new stuff the last few years.

I just listened to this today... This tune is great! I did NOT see this coming from them these days. And a good portion of the tune is in 5/8. That opening part really had me off-kilter until I could count it out. Nice surprise to hear today!

Yeah, it’s another B-side from Horizons/East

Is it a B-Side, or is it a first single to Horizons/West maybe?
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1316 on: February 03, 2023, 07:54:24 AM »
The boys released a re-recorded version of The Artist in the Ambulance (with some special guests on some songs). I'm actually really liking it. Of course, not as good as the original.

They're also going on tour playing The Artist in the Ambulance in it's entirety. No Minneapolis show, which sucks for me. I am going to be in Boston a few days after the show there and I'd love to be able to go early to catch it. But I don't think I can leave my wife with 5 kids by herself for a few days longer than was already planned.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1317 on: December 27, 2023, 07:17:31 PM »
I am so behind on this band. Like, 3 albums worth. Except Black Honey, I do know that song. How are the last 3 albums?

I saw they re-recorded TAITA. I just listened to Stare at the Sun and the title track, and it's really interesting to hear them. I thought this was some sort of remix album of the original until I investigated further.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1318 on: December 27, 2023, 07:34:40 PM »
I am so behind on this band. Like, 3 albums worth. Except Black Honey, I do know that song. How are the last 3 albums?

I saw they re-recorded TAITA. I just listened to Stare at the Sun and the title track, and it's really interesting to hear them. I thought this was some sort of remix album of the original until I investigated further.

To Be Everywhere is one of their very best albums IMO, arguably in the top 3. Palms is one of their weakest but still good. Horizons/East is a big step up from Palms, some excellent tracks.

Again in my personal opinion, they don’t have a bad album. So even the weakest ones are still enjoyable listens.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1319 on: December 27, 2023, 07:56:26 PM »
Nice, in the coming year I'll start with TBE. Thrice will always make at least good music.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1320 on: December 27, 2023, 11:44:09 PM »

To Be Everywhere is one of their very best albums IMO, arguably in the top 3. Palms is one of their weakest but still good. Horizons/East is a big step up from Palms, some excellent tracks.

Again in my personal opinion, they don’t have a bad album. So even the weakest ones are still enjoyable listens.
Agreed with all that. TBEITBN really goes hard on the emotional side of their music, which I love.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.