Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 142609 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #980 on: April 08, 2021, 08:08:10 AM »
As good as Dio sounded on it, the album is tough to get through.
I think I'm alone in this, but I feel the two latter day Dio-Sabbath albums are underwhelming.  I think they fell into stereotypes at that point.  Dio had to be the growling heavy metal wizard, and Iommi had to be the Riff-master General.   I think 13 absolutely BLOWS away both the later Dio records.  There are bits and pieces on 13 that are reminiscent of all eight Ozzy-era Sabbath records, and that's a good thing.  It's 3D.  It's got character. 

Controversial statement alert:  I think Dio is only the second best lyricist in that band.  I MUCH prefer Geezer's lyrics over Dio's.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: April 08, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »
As good as Dio sounded on it, the album is tough to get through.
I think I'm alone in this, but I feel the two latter day Dio-Sabbath albums are underwhelming.  I think they fell into stereotypes at that point.  Dio had to be the growling heavy metal wizard, and Iommi had to be the Riff-master General.   I think 13 absolutely BLOWS away both the later Dio records.  There are bits and pieces on 13 that are reminiscent of all eight Ozzy-era Sabbath records, and that's a good thing.  It's 3D.  It's got character. 

Controversial statement alert:  I think Dio is only the second best lyricist in that band.  I MUCH prefer Geezer's lyrics over Dio's.

I see no issues with that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #982 on: April 08, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »
Yeah that’s not really controversial.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #983 on: April 08, 2021, 03:42:49 PM »
Well Geezer is one of my favorite lyricists from any band so no disagreement there. Dio was no slouch in that department but he could get a bit repetitive with his themes. 
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #984 on: April 08, 2021, 03:53:34 PM »
Well Geezer is one of my favorite lyricists from any band so no disagreement there. Dio was no slouch in that department but he could get a bit repetitive with his themes.

There's a guy who has done a series of songs/videos where he has an AI bot write lyrics in the style of a particular artist by inputting every set of lyrics that artist ever did.  The guy then writes music in the style of the artist and performs the song (this one's my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEVsDN84Hc ).  I'm waiting for him to do Dio.  It'll be nothing but "wolves and wheels and magic and wizards and dragons!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #985 on: April 08, 2021, 04:16:36 PM »

There's a guy who has done a series of songs/videos where he has an AI bot write lyrics in the style of a particular artist by inputting every set of lyrics that artist ever did.  The guy then writes music in the style of the artist and performs the song (this one's my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEVsDN84Hc ).  I'm waiting for him to do Dio.  It'll be nothing but "wolves and wheels and magic and wizards and dragons!"

Don’t forget the rainbows!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #986 on: April 08, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »

That's a wonderful idea, and the guy did a great job of making it a song. The thing is, it's not really writing lyrics in the style of ACDC, but rather taking lyrics from ACDC and mashing them all together. In any case, Too many Women with Too Many Balls was absolutely inspired.  :lol

Also, I'm pretty sure that the "AI" would just spit out My Eyes and call it a day. It's the same trick.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #987 on: April 08, 2021, 06:43:52 PM »
I've been listening to a TON of Headless Cross and TYR lately - Headless Cross has to be one of the best Tony Martin-era songs.   Both records are really good though. 

Also listening to a bit of The End and it's hard to believe that the last Black Sabbath concert happened four years ago already.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: April 08, 2021, 08:07:47 PM »
Was pumping Headless Cross this morning travelling around for work.  Outstanding.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: April 09, 2021, 07:31:11 AM »
I've been listening to a TON of Headless Cross and TYR lately - Headless Cross has to be one of the best Tony Martin-era songs.   Both records are really good though. 

Also listening to a bit of The End and it's hard to believe that the last Black Sabbath concert happened four years ago already.

I listened to 13 yesterday, and what I call "13 1/2" (the four bonus songs from the "13" album deluxe version, plus the four studio songs from "The End" EP) and I love that album.  Ozzy doesn't sound great, but it all works.  I saw that show in Mansfield, MA, with Rival Sons opening.  What a good show.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #990 on: April 09, 2021, 07:46:14 AM »

I listened to 13 yesterday, and what I call "13 1/2" (the four bonus songs from the "13" album deluxe version, plus the four studio songs from "The End" EP) and I love that album.  Ozzy doesn't sound great, but it all works. I saw that show in Mansfield, MA, with Rival Sons opening.  What a good show.

Agreed and I got to see Hand of Doom live which is one of my favorites.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline WardySI

« Reply #991 on: April 10, 2021, 07:41:20 AM »

Headless Cross has grown on me so much over the past few years I'd almost rank it ahead of Cross Purposes maybe not The Eternal Idol but that's saying something ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #992 on: April 19, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »
Tony Martin isolated vocals from Headless Cross.
https://youtu.be/5f9MGHvvt98

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #993 on: April 19, 2021, 03:36:06 PM »
Happy Birthday to Anthony Philip Harford who is 63 years young today.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:45:37 PM by gazinwales »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #994 on: April 19, 2021, 03:57:53 PM »
Those isolated vocals are amazing!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #995 on: April 20, 2021, 09:01:16 AM »
Those isolated vocals are amazing!
I found them fascinating. I never would have guessed that so much reverb went into vocal tracks. I certainly don't hear it on the album, but I suspect that I'd instantly notice if the reverb were removed. I imagine there are a lot of things like that which go into making an album sound good, and HC does, that we never really pick up on.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #996 on: June 26, 2021, 05:56:37 PM »
Iommi is thinking about remixing Born Again as they finally tracked down the masters. He also mentions a Tony Martin box. I'm on board for both. Let's get them out already.

https://bravewords.com/news/black-sabbaths-tony-iommi-says-he-may-be-remixing-born-again-we-have-found-the-original-tapes
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #997 on: June 26, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
I'd be all over a Tony Martin box set, but not for the Born Again EP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: June 26, 2021, 06:57:14 PM »
I'm all over the Tony Martin box set.   In a heartbeat.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #999 on: June 26, 2021, 07:50:49 PM »
Yeah same, although I have all the original Martin era on CD, hopefully the remasters (Forbidden remix) will bring something new.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: June 27, 2021, 04:21:42 AM »
I'm all over both of those.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1001 on: June 27, 2021, 09:28:55 AM »
Maybe we'll see one of these projects released this decade.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1002 on: November 26, 2021, 11:40:40 PM »
New instrumental Tony posted up couple days back sounds quite great! :metal

(sorry if posted elsewhere already I didn't see it ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xala32PZ5vU

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1003 on: November 27, 2021, 02:15:11 PM »
Sounds amazing, great to hear and see something new from Tony.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1004 on: December 01, 2021, 06:32:15 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: December 02, 2021, 04:12:17 AM »
New instrumental Tony posted up couple days back sounds quite great! :metal

(sorry if posted elsewhere already I didn't see it ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xala32PZ5vU

Cool shit.

https://bravewords.com/news/black-sabbath-born-again-master-tapes-found-tony-iommi-planning-to-remix

Hopefully there's additional tracks.

I love this album.  I never really had an issue with the production but I could definitely see why people would.  Such a strong album and Gillan rips on the whole damn thing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1006 on: December 02, 2021, 05:03:13 AM »
Born Again is more like an EP. But an awesome one at that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: December 02, 2021, 06:33:12 AM »
One of the few times when band members ripping on an album bothered me.   I LOVE Born Again.   It's not the best ever, but for what it was, when it came out, I was into it and still am.   Though my friend Jim calls it "Zero The Album".   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: December 02, 2021, 02:39:25 PM »

What do you mean?

One of the few times when band members ripping on an album bothered me.   I LOVE Born Again.   It's not the best ever, but for what it was, when it came out, I was into it and still am.   Though my friend Jim calls it "Zero The Album".   

Yeah, I never understood the criticism.  Heavy, raw, energetic, unique just a wonderful album.  As I said, Gillan is amazing here.  His vocals on the title track are ridiculous.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1009 on: December 02, 2021, 02:48:53 PM »

What do you mean?

Well, if you remove The Dark and Stonehenge, you're at 7 tracks @ 37m.

Not a fan of Hotline or Keep It Warm so now I'm down to 5 tracks @ 28ms

5 tracks @ 28m = EP!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: December 02, 2021, 02:51:20 PM »

What do you mean?

Well, if you remove The Dark and Stonehenge, you're at 7 tracks @ 37m.

Not a fan of Hotline or Keep It Warm so now I'm down to 5 tracks @ 28ms

5 tracks @ 28m = EP!

Man, Keep it Warm is so good.  Tony's solo here rips.  One of his best moments and such a great buildup.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1011 on: December 02, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »
OK, add it back in, and it's still like 33 minutes.

Honestly, the only songs I really like are Disturbing The Priest and Zero The Hero. Born Again and Trashed are fine and Digital Bitch fucking smokes but that chorus? WTF?

So I have a story about Born Again..

I went to a private catholic high school (my father taught there, and I got into trouble in junior high) which meant that I went to school with kids from all different towns. In the 10th grade, I was in English class and the kid two seats in front of me, who I really didn't know, had a Born Again tour shirt that I could see through his white dress shirt.
Anyway, I started a conversation with him about it, and we became really good friends. In fact he's the only person from high school that am still in contact with. (He's the same guy that had Rik Emmet sing at his wedding.)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: December 02, 2021, 03:18:03 PM »
That's a cool little story.

I've never thought or had an issue with the length.  Obviously it was a strained and confusing time for the band, and it showed in the album.  Probably a reason why I like it so much.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1013 on: December 02, 2021, 03:18:47 PM »
That’s classic. A shirt with a satanic devil-baby on it being worn at catholic shool. I read somewhere that when Ian Gillian saw the cover for the album he just did vocals on, he was appalled.  :lol
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1014 on: December 02, 2021, 03:21:05 PM »
Reign In Blood is just over 28 minutes.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history