Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 142630 times)

Offline crazy climber dude

Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #945 on: April 05, 2021, 06:11:06 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #946 on: April 06, 2021, 08:19:10 AM »
Tony Martin who I feel is way better than Ray Gillen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97-1mUmljdw
I agree with Madman, frankly.   I LIKE Tony Martin. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #947 on: April 06, 2021, 12:07:23 PM »

I kept hearing about those mythical demos with Ray and how much better they were and when I finally heard them....underwhelmed. great vocalist of course but compared to Tony just a tad more....generic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: April 06, 2021, 02:04:59 PM »
The Tony Martin era has always been my fav, and still is.  Always loved his voice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #949 on: April 06, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
The absolute holy grail of Tony Martin BS demo's is the alleged Dehumanizer sessions.
Folk lore has it that Iommi brought in TM in case Dio jumped again.
There are loads of demo's with the Powell/Iommi/Butler/Dio line up easily found, but so far nothing with TM.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: April 06, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »
The absolute holy grail of Tony Martin BS demo's is the alleged Dehumanizer sessions.
There are loads of demo's with the Powell/Iommi/Butler/Dio line up easily found, but so far nothing with TM.

I'd pay to hear that.  I'm all in with the first two Dio records - H&H, MR - but I thought the Dehumanizer and Heaven And Hell were a step down, and were trading on cliches.  I've since gone back to Dehumanizer, and it's better than I remember, but I think I prefer Tony Martin to those latter two. So to hear Tony sing on some of that material would be a treat!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: April 06, 2021, 02:41:47 PM »

I'd pay to hear that.

Without question.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #952 on: April 07, 2021, 05:32:27 AM »

I'd pay to hear that.

Without question.

+1

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #953 on: April 07, 2021, 06:41:45 AM »

Actually there's a non official site, Black-Sabbath.com, that has a fantastic timeline page detailing in excruciating detail every single lineup change. It seems that Dio DID jump ship, Tony Martin was really brought in not as a just-in-case basis, but specifically 'cause Dio didn't work out. Only when the label put their feet down both parties (Sabbath / Dio) decided to give it a go.

It's incredible how much Dio and Sabbath had a love / hate relationship. He came, he saved the band from near dissolution, then after two awesome albums their egos got the better of them, and the straw that broke the camel's back was the infamous sneaky mixing of Live Evil, where apparently Dio was changing the mixes to his favor in the night and Iommi was doing the same in the morning (or the other way around).

A decade goes by, Dio finally rejoins Sabbath, the thing falls apart even before the album is released only to be patched back together, and after one album Ozzy "retires" and the band folds AGAIN (tanks btw to Rob Halford to step in and creating two legendary, unique and heavily bootlegged nights).

It's only in 2006 that finally the guys get together for a third time, we get an amazing tour based only on Dio material, a new heavy, doomish and uncompromising album, and then Dio gets ill and dies.

I am so, so, SO glad to have seen Dio and Iommi together in Black Sabbath, twice. The other dream will remain one - Dio and Blackmore back together, gosh what a marvel it could have been (especially if Cozy Powell didn't die - I believe there were some talks in 1998 but Cozy died and the thing fell apart, with Blackmore going medieval instead).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ozzy554

« Reply #954 on: April 07, 2021, 06:57:54 AM »
The first split is interesting because you get a different story from each person. Dio's side of the story was that him and Vinny would be in the studio for hours by themselves because Iommi & Geezer were usually very late due to their drug usage at the time. So instead of just sitting around they would experiment with the mix a bit just to see how it would sound. Essentially it was a Cocaine fueled misunderstanding between Tony & the engineer. There were other problems in the band at the time and this just pushed it over the edge.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: April 07, 2021, 09:06:47 AM »

Actually there's a non official site, Black-Sabbath.com, that has a fantastic timeline page detailing in excruciating detail every single lineup change. It seems that Dio DID jump ship, Tony Martin was really brought in not as a just-in-case basis, but specifically 'cause Dio didn't work out. Only when the label put their feet down both parties (Sabbath / Dio) decided to give it a go.

It's incredible how much Dio and Sabbath had a love / hate relationship. He came, he saved the band from near dissolution, then after two awesome albums their egos got the better of them, and the straw that broke the camel's back was the infamous sneaky mixing of Live Evil, where apparently Dio was changing the mixes to his favor in the night and Iommi was doing the same in the morning (or the other way around).

A decade goes by, Dio finally rejoins Sabbath, the thing falls apart even before the album is released only to be patched back together, and after one album Ozzy "retires" and the band folds AGAIN (tanks btw to Rob Halford to step in and creating two legendary, unique and heavily bootlegged nights).

It's only in 2006 that finally the guys get together for a third time, we get an amazing tour based only on Dio material, a new heavy, doomish and uncompromising album, and then Dio gets ill and dies.

I am so, so, SO glad to have seen Dio and Iommi together in Black Sabbath, twice. The other dream will remain one - Dio and Blackmore back together, gosh what a marvel it could have been (especially if Cozy Powell didn't die - I believe there were some talks in 1998 but Cozy died and the thing fell apart, with Blackmore going medieval instead).

If that's the site I'm thinking of, it's by a guy named Joe, and it's unofficial, but he's got a relationship with the band (Geezer in particular if memory serves) and his info is pretty solid.

It's also my understanding that Cozy was really pushing to get the Rising lineup back together.  Who knows if it would have happened?  I know Blackmore reconciled with Coverdale, but it's limited to the social/personal, not the musical.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #956 on: April 07, 2021, 11:18:06 AM »

I kept hearing about those mythical demos with Ray and how much better they were and when I finally heard them....underwhelmed. great vocalist of course but compared to Tony just a tad more....generic.
I'm a big Tony Martin fan, and you may be on to something about Gillen sounding generic, but Gillen really was the better singer. It's shown in two ways. One, Martin was hit or miss singing live, and his hits weren't all that great. He was never able to pull off live what he could do in the studio. Second, Martin was the only singer who sounded great singing from every era. He even sounded good singing Ozzy's stuff, which none of the others could claim. Rather than the demos, you might check out the Montreal video. With all respect to Tony Martin, I don't think he could have ever pulled this off this well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3prrkO_L8
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #957 on: April 07, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »

If that's the site I'm thinking of, it's by a guy named Joe, and it's unofficial, but he's got a relationship with the band (Geezer in particular if memory serves) and his info is pretty solid.

It's also my understanding that Cozy was really pushing to get the Rising lineup back together.  Who knows if it would have happened?  I know Blackmore reconciled with Coverdale, but it's limited to the social/personal, not the musical.

Yes I know the site well and have read it quite a few times.
The guy who runs the site has a direct line to Iommi and/or his manager.
Joe actually has given a list of material that he would like to be included on any remastered album and/or box set.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #958 on: April 07, 2021, 01:02:37 PM »
Never been to that site. That's a good one.

Oh, and every year and a half or so when the Tony Martin Era comes up, and everyone declares their love for it, I usually run through the albums and wonder what the hubbub is all about.
Probably going to take the cheese again...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 01:26:53 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: April 07, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »
With the expectation that you will now hate them, I LOVE:

- The Sabbath Stones
- Jerusalem
- Crown of Thorns
- Psychophobia
- Can't Get Close To You
- Rusty Angels

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #960 on: April 07, 2021, 01:41:11 PM »
Psychophobia is awesome!

I'll run through the albums I guess.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #961 on: April 07, 2021, 01:42:14 PM »

Actually there's a non official site, Black-Sabbath.com

I used to use visit this site religiously back when I was in my discover mode with Sabbath I'd say early 2000's, it's a gold mine of information. That and the now discontinued Iron Maiden Commentary fan site were my go-to sites for all sorts of trivial information regarding the band and albums.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: April 07, 2021, 02:19:10 PM »

Actually there's a non official site, Black-Sabbath.com

I used to use visit this site religiously back when I was in my discover mode with Sabbath I'd say early 2000's, it's a gold mine of information. That and the now discontinued Iron Maiden Commentary fan site were my go-to sites for all sorts of trivial information regarding the band and albums.

I used to spend a lot of time at the Iron Maiden Commentary as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: April 07, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »

- The Sabbath Stones
- Jerusalem
- Crown of Thorns
- Psychophobia
- Can't Get Close To You
- Rusty Angels

Jerusalem is a hidden gem of the Martin era, magic song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #964 on: April 07, 2021, 02:32:25 PM »
Just ran through The Eternal Idol.

This is a real solid album. The production neuters the guitars and the vocal mix feels a bit off in places, like in the verse to Ancient Warrior. It feels like a vocal track added to the music, but doesn't quite feel part of the music.

Tony Martin sounds incredible though. Very Dio-like in spots.

Lost Forever smokes and has a great melodic solo.

The middle run of Hard Life To Live-Glory Ride-Born To Lose is really consistant.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: April 07, 2021, 02:38:23 PM »
Just ran through The Eternal Idol.

This is a real solid album. The production neuters the guitars and the vocal mix feels a bit off in places, like in the verse to Ancient Warrior. It feels like a vocal track added to the music, but doesn't quite feel part of the music.

Tony Martin sounds incredible though. Very Dio-like in spots.

Lost Forever smokes and has a great melodic solo.

The middle run of Hard Life To Live-Glory Ride-Born To Lose is really consistant.

Glory Ride and Born to Lose are probably my favs.  Tony stepped up his soloing in this era too.  That solo in Ancient Warrior is tremendous.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #966 on: April 07, 2021, 02:57:35 PM »

- The Sabbath Stones
- Jerusalem
- Crown of Thorns
- Psychophobia
- Can't Get Close To You
- Rusty Angels

Crown of Thorns is absolutely awesome and if it was on a Dio album, it would be a greatly revered track.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #967 on: April 07, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »

Which album was that?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #968 on: April 07, 2021, 03:11:47 PM »

Which album was that?

The Devil You Know!

https://open.spotify.com/album/49z8GQTJCQBXVT81k0gXzV

Offline gazinwales

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: April 07, 2021, 03:38:25 PM »

Which album was that?

Check it mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: April 07, 2021, 03:39:13 PM »
Shout out to the 3 studio tracks on the Dio Years collection, they were very cool.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #972 on: April 07, 2021, 04:03:05 PM »
Shout out to the 3 studio tracks on the Dio Years collection, they were very cool.

Yeah! I often forget about those, but they are killer songs.
I normally tag those on to the end of 'The Devil You Know' when I put it on my iPod.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #973 on: April 07, 2021, 04:34:13 PM »

Which album was that?

Check it mate.

Oh that one. I thought he was saying they made an album with Dio in 2006. I never got into that Heaven and Hell album. Twas a bit boring.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #974 on: April 07, 2021, 04:48:22 PM »
As good as Dio sounded on it, the album is tough to get through.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #975 on: April 07, 2021, 05:01:19 PM »
I liked the Devil you Know. My least favorite from that lineup but I still enjoy it. Also while we're on the subject of the martin era these are my personal favorites.

Born to Lose
Lost Forever
Glory Ride
Devil & Daughter
When Death Calls
Black Moon
Anno Mundi
Jerusalem
Heaven in Black
I Witness
Immaculate Deception
What's the Use
I won't Cry For You
Shaking Off the Chains
Guilty As Hell
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #976 on: April 07, 2021, 05:03:27 PM »
I'm going to run through them before I make a list. Most of the material has just never stuck with me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #977 on: April 08, 2021, 01:21:35 AM »

Yeah! I often forget about those, but they are killer songs.
I normally tag those on to the end of 'The Devil You Know' when I put it on my iPod.

I re-sequenced the album to include them. And yes, three songs, three killer tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: April 08, 2021, 05:56:24 AM »
I'm not a Queen fan but the solo on When Death Calls is probably one of my top 5 Sabbath moments.  Top song too but that solo from May is just unbelievable.  Wish he did some metal.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: April 08, 2021, 08:04:52 AM »

- The Sabbath Stones
- Jerusalem
- Crown of Thorns
- Psychophobia
- Can't Get Close To You
- Rusty Angels

Crown of Thorns is absolutely awesome and if it was on a Dio album, it would be a greatly revered track.

It was:  "Children Of The Sea".    :) :) 

I kid, and that shows a lot more disrespect to CoT than it deserves.  Though having said that, I remember playing that track to a friend who was a hard core Dio fan, and he had trouble telling the voices apart at first.