Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 142523 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #910 on: February 16, 2021, 09:14:26 AM »
That is so interesting, thanks for the information. It's unbelievable how I even got to see Sabbath live, the set list said "Embryo/Children of the grave" afterwards, and I remember thinking "wait, I haven't heard Embryo!"  :lol

Haha.   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: February 16, 2021, 12:29:00 PM »
Wow, I never even knew about The Haunting.  First I'm hearing about it.  Have to go back and check it out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #912 on: February 16, 2021, 12:37:35 PM »
Hmm, I always knew it as Embryo and I'm old enough to have seen Black Sabbath live with Ozzy and later with Dio on vocals.   God, I was tripping SO hard when I saw them with Dio that it kind of freaked me out during "Sign of the Southern Cross" I was peaking on 2 hits of Window Pane Acid.   :rollin   That was a crazy night.  I couldn't drive home until about 6 am because I was still tripping my balls off and didn't want to risk it. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: February 16, 2021, 12:44:19 PM »
Wow, I never even knew about The Haunting.  First I'm hearing about it.  Have to go back and check it out.

Sabbath did that a lot. 

Wasp/Behind The Wall Of Sleep
Bassically/N.I.B.
A Bit Of Finger/Sleeping Village
War Pigs/Luke's Wall
Jack The Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots
The Elegy/After Forever
Step Up/Lord OF This World
Deathmask/Into The Void
Wheel's Of Confusion/The Straightener
Under The Sun/Every Day Comes And Goes

Some are real (the "Bassically" intro to N.I.B., the instrumental outro Luke's Wall) some are more iffy, like The Elegy, which is basically 15 seconds of keyboard swirl.   I can't even tell you what "Step Up" and "Deathmask" really are, other than the intro riff to the actual song.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #914 on: February 16, 2021, 12:47:23 PM »
Hmmm...I had a record back in the day.  For whatever reason, I didn't replace it with a CD at or before the time that I dumped the last of my vinyl records in the late 90s, and I only bought a CD for Master of Reality last year.

I'm pretty sure Embryo has always been Embryo, and I can't recall ever hearing of "The Haunting" and always attributed that stuff at the end of Children of the Grave to "crap they did at the end because they had time and were stoned."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: February 16, 2021, 12:48:04 PM »
The Embryo
Children Of The Grave/The Haunting   "The Haunting" starts at 4:25

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: February 16, 2021, 12:48:29 PM »
Yeah, I know all them but literally never heard of The Haunting before.  Huh!

Pretty sure Step Up and Deathmask are just that, the intro riffs to the songs.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #917 on: March 05, 2021, 08:28:33 AM »
Another demo has been released by the estate of Geoff Nicholls. The title of the song appears to be Slapback https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG758iBHa_Y
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #918 on: March 05, 2021, 10:20:35 AM »
Another demo has been released by the estate of Geoff Nicholls. The title of the song appears to be Slapback https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG758iBHa_Y

That was kinda meh, but here's the link for a demo of Heaven and Hell posted on the same channel about a month ago:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAk4Z3sX0F4

Interesting and raw as fuck.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: March 05, 2021, 10:25:47 AM »
Whoa, he sounds a lot like Dio, holy shit  :eek

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: March 05, 2021, 10:27:46 AM »
Just noticed that the bass line is different from the final version too.  Interesting

Offline pg1067

« Reply #921 on: March 05, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »
That is Dio singing.  It's Geoff Nichols playing bass.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: March 05, 2021, 12:24:59 PM »

There was another guy in early, too, as Geezer had left shortly after Ozzy did, thinking it was over;  I want to say it was Craig Gruber, though it might have been Mark Clark (both ex-Rainbow).  Then Geezer came back, and while there has been some discussion about this, Geezer re-recorded everything.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: March 05, 2021, 01:03:48 PM »

oops, I thought it was a different vocalist.  Well that explains the different bass line then  :lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #924 on: April 03, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »
From Lommi re the Martin-era reissues...

“It's unfortunate that over the years Tony Martin has got buried in all this Ozzy and Dio stuff and everything,” Iommi added. “There will be a period now where we'll be able to release the box set with the Tony Martin albums with some good outtakes as well. I've already mixed [it] here at home, so that's all ready to go, but we have to wait until the time is right. We can't put all these things out together — it would cause confusion.”

https://www-loudersound-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.loudersound.com/amp/news/tony-iommi-dismisses-rock-is-dead-talk-readies-tony-martin-era-sabbath-box-set?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16175081276153&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.loudersound.com%2Fnews%2Ftony-iommi-dismisses-rock-is-dead-talk-readies-tony-martin-era-sabbath-box-set

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #925 on: April 03, 2021, 10:21:12 PM »
That's awesome.  I've been listening to a lot of Headless Cross, TYR and Cross Purposes over the last few days.   I'd love remastered or remixed versions. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #926 on: April 04, 2021, 12:21:09 AM »
Iommi has been saying similar things for quite a few years now.
Forbidden is being remixed, the rest Headless Cross, Tyr and Cross Purposes will be remastered.
Lets hope there not just brick walled and some of the unreleased material is decent.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #927 on: April 04, 2021, 02:33:59 AM »
Yes some of the recent reviews for the newly remastered H&H and Mob Rules suggest they're way too loud so not sure whether to pursue those yet or not :(

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #928 on: April 04, 2021, 03:36:50 AM »
I only have the 2017 remasters and they sound great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: April 04, 2021, 04:43:49 AM »

“It's unfortunate that over the years Tony Martin has got buried in all this Ozzy and Dio stuff and everything,” Iommi added. “There will be a period now where we'll be able to release the box set with the Tony Martin albums with some good outtakes as well. I've already mixed [it] here at home, so that's all ready to go, but we have to wait until the time is right. We can't put all these things out together — it would cause confusion.”

https://www-loudersound-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.loudersound.com/amp/news/tony-iommi-dismisses-rock-is-dead-talk-readies-tony-martin-era-sabbath-box-set?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16175081276153&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.loudersound.com%2Fnews%2Ftony-iommi-dismisses-rock-is-dead-talk-readies-tony-martin-era-sabbath-box-set

First day buyer on a box set with the Martin albums.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #930 on: April 04, 2021, 04:46:46 AM »
I've listened to the Tony Martin stuff about ten years after I've discovered the rest of the catalogue. Maybe it was a bit late for me, but I wasn't too crazy about the albums. Tyr is solid, but the rest didn't work for me.

I also remember being disappointed with Headless cross, given that a lot of my friends love it. But then again, perhaps I should give it another shot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: April 04, 2021, 04:52:25 AM »
Headless Cross is a top 50 album for me.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #932 on: April 04, 2021, 06:43:57 AM »
I hope the Martin era releases come out somewhat soon as they will be a day one buy for me. Cross Purposes is the most underrated album in the bands entire discography IMO.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #933 on: April 04, 2021, 07:20:11 AM »
Cross Purposes is easily my favorite of the Martin Era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #934 on: April 04, 2021, 07:35:03 AM »
Cross Purposes and The Eternal Idol are essentials IMO :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #935 on: April 04, 2021, 07:36:47 AM »
All Martin era is great but Eternal Idol takes the win which is kind of sad to say considering Martin had the least to do with that. It's also amazing how great that album is considering what a mess it was. They had at least two musicians for every instrument it seems (minus keyboards and guitar) and nobody wanted to be in the band but between Bob Daisley and Eric Singer whose performances remained and Tony Martin who I feel is way better than Ray Gillen, that album holds up with just about any other great Sabbath album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: April 05, 2021, 03:24:37 AM »
I'd probably put Headless Cross at the top for me, closely followed by TYR.  Cross Purposes is a very mature album IMO and sounds great.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: April 05, 2021, 07:21:27 AM »

First day buyer on a box set with the Martin albums.

As am I.   I even like Forbidden.   I saw the Cross Purposes and Forbidden tours, and even though Tony was suffering on the latter - sick; it was a cold snowy February when I saw them in Connecticut - it was still good (though Cross Purposes was so much better because of Geezer being there). 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #938 on: April 05, 2021, 07:29:29 AM »
Count me in as another first day buyer of the Martin set. I only own the Deluxe Eternal Idol set. Everything else I had to get via other means. I have been craving proper versions for years now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: April 05, 2021, 07:43:29 AM »
There's material there, too.  There are Japanese bonus tracks for both Cross Purposes ("What's The Use") and Forbidden ("Loser Gets It All") that are very hard to find.  There are a couple B-sides that are on CD singles, but the CD singles are wicked expensive ("Cloak And Dagger" from the "Black Moon" single, some live stuff on the "Feels Good To Me" single).   The Cross Purposes Live CD is missing a couple tunes that came on the VHS video (you can get DVD versions, but they are not official). 

I'm giddy if this is a real thing on the near horizon.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #940 on: April 05, 2021, 01:58:08 PM »
There's material there, too.  There are Japanese bonus tracks for both Cross Purposes ("What's The Use") and Forbidden ("Loser Gets It All") that are very hard to find.  There are a couple B-sides that are on CD singles, but the CD singles are wicked expensive ("Cloak And Dagger" from the "Black Moon" single, some live stuff on the "Feels Good To Me" single).   The Cross Purposes Live CD is missing a couple tunes that came on the VHS video (you can get DVD versions, but they are not official). 

All this stuff would be nice but all of the above has pretty much been released, I would be hoping for genuine unreleased stuff, live or studio.
Even the infamous Headless In Moscow bootleg (https://youtu.be/4oPajl7zV0A) might be a push as the master tapes were 'confiscated' by Russian authorities soon after recording.
Although the set list isn't very Martine era friendly. Still a better performance than the Cross Purposes Live set, as Martin isn't at his best due to illness at the time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: April 05, 2021, 02:44:34 PM »

All this stuff would be nice but all of the above has pretty much been released, I would be hoping for genuine unreleased stuff, live or studio.
Even the infamous Headless In Moscow bootleg (https://youtu.be/4oPajl7zV0A) might be a push as the master tapes were 'confiscated' by Russian authorities soon after recording.
Although the set list isn't very Martine era friendly. Still a better performance than the Cross Purposes Live set, as Martin isn't at his best due to illness at the time.

Fair enough, you're right.  It can be pricey to collect, though.  It'd be nice to have it all in one place.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: April 05, 2021, 02:48:51 PM »

Pretty sure I have an unofficial DVD of that Moscow show.  I didn't really have an issue with him on Cross Purposes Live.  He definitely is under par nut enjoyable to watch.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: April 05, 2021, 02:49:51 PM »

Never understood why Loser Gets it All was a bonus track, it's brilliant.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #944 on: April 05, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
Agreed. Same with What's the Use.

I hope there's audio from earlier in the Cross Purposes tour that they can release as he sounded much better. It's commendable that he did most of that tour while ill but it clearly messed up his voice as he was never the same afterwards live.
Do you read Sutter Cane?