Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 142573 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #875 on: April 01, 2020, 04:58:41 AM »
I think Computer God might hsve been the first Sabbath song I heard.  My guitar teacher put it on a mix tape for me.  Blew me away, that voice.

It was Heaven & Hell for me. But Dehumanizer was the first proper album I bought; I had most of the older big hits available to me already after buying The Dio Years compilation CD as my first intentional dive into metal (for some reason 14 year old me didn't put together that Megadeth was a metal band and not a rock band until after I checked out Dio-era Black Sabbath :lol ).

Honestly one song on the album that I think deserves way more recognition is Buried Alive. Dio's on fire on that song and Tony churns out some of his filthiest riffs ever. Sounds almost like something from either a groove metal or death metal band!

Actually Master Of Insanity and Too Late are both terrific, underrated songs on the album too.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:12:07 AM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: April 01, 2020, 05:12:35 AM »
I think Computer God might hsve been the first Sabbath song I heard.  My guitar teacher put it on a mix tape for me.  Blew me away, that voice.

It was Heaven & Hell for me. But Dehumanizer was the first proper album I bought; I had most of the older big hits available to me already after buying The Dio Years compilation CD as my first intentional dive into metal (for some reason 14 year old me didn't put together that Megadeth was a metal band and not a rock band until after I checked out Dio-era Black Sabbath :lol ).

Honestly one song on the album that I think deserves way more recognition is Buried Alive. Dio's on fire on that song and Tony churns out some of his filthiest riffs ever. Sounds almost like something from either a groove metal or death metal band!

Great riff, brilliant chorus and really good leads from Tony too.  Definitely an underrated cut.

I think Heaven and Hell was on the same mix tape.  I might have known Paranoid, but hearing this Dio stuff just floored me.  I made my guitar teacher copy the whole Dehumanizer album not long after.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #877 on: April 01, 2020, 05:25:15 AM »

Great riff, brilliant chorus and really good leads from Tony too.  Definitely an underrated cut.

I think Heaven and Hell was on the same mix tape.  I might have known Paranoid, but hearing this Dio stuff just floored me.  I made my guitar teacher copy the whole Dehumanizer album not long after.

Seriously. Some of Dio's best lyrics too, even if I don't necessarily agree wholly with the overall sentiment. Actually I'm listening to Dehumanizer now and I'm kinda taken aback by how modern it sounds compared to all of the other Dio albums (including TDYK). Tony's doing some really interesting stuff his riffs on this album, Dio altered his lyrical style and the production sounds crisp and heavy. It's a much fresher feeling album than either TDYK or 13 imo (not to bash either of those albums).

I already knew Iron Man, vaguely, but kinda like my history with Megadeth, I hadn't fully connected that it was the same band and genre until after I discovered Dio. But yeah, I completely relate. Discovering Dio's voice in conjunction with those big booming riffs struck a chord for me and I rapidly became an addict. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: April 01, 2020, 05:27:15 AM »
Thanks to this thread I have been revisiting a lot of my rare Tony Martin stuff.................didn't realise how many albums I have with him on (somewhere in the 20's)  , but the word that comes to mind when I hear him is "presence."   The second he enters a song it's just like "Hey........the man is here."  - even more so than Dio to my ears and that's saying something..   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #879 on: April 01, 2020, 07:02:35 AM »
Thanks to this thread I have been revisiting a lot of my rare Tony Martin stuff.................didn't realise how many albums I have with him on (somewhere in the 20's)  , but the word that comes to mind when I hear him is "presence."   The second he enters a song it's just like "Hey........the man is here."  - even more so than Dio to my ears and that's saying something..   

Hey Brent, I’d certainly follow a Tony Martin Discography And Listening Party Thread.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: April 01, 2020, 07:09:22 AM »

Hey Brent, I’d certainly follow a Tony Martin Discography And Listening Party Thread.  ;D

Once I finish going through all my Riot albums..............some time in 2023 is my best estimate  :biggrin:

I am lucky to listen to one album a week at the moment.........not good.   When I said "revisiting" Tony Martin , that means maybe a dozen random tracks off some of the rarer albums.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:19:33 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #881 on: April 01, 2020, 08:04:37 AM »
Glad to see Dehumanizer getting some love! Also stoked to hear Buried Alive getting some credit.

Seeing them as Heaven & Hell, I was very glad that they played a few Dehumanizer songs.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #882 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:20 AM »
I saw too Heaven and Hell, I will forever be happy and proud about it, and it's a consolation for not having seen Blackmore and Dio together. A reunion of those two... I would have traveled on the other side of the planet to see it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #883 on: April 01, 2020, 08:51:24 AM »

I would too; I'm only familiar with his Sabbath material, but I like him as a singer.  I enjoy most of the Martin-era (oddly, the heavier they get the less I like it, but that's me).   

I'd be interested in his solo work and the other projects he's done; I've been looking at one of his solo albums to buy, but it's expensive to buy sight un-, uh, heard. 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #884 on: April 01, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
Glad to see Dehumanizer getting some love! Also stoked to hear Buried Alive getting some credit.

Seeing them as Heaven & Hell, I was very glad that they played a few Dehumanizer songs.

Missing out on those Heaven & Hell tours is still one of my biggest regrets in life. Bums me out far more that I missed catching Dio live than missing Ozzy. Heck, I didn't even know that Dio was fighting cancer when news of his death broke out. Completely blindsided me when it happened.

Dehumanizer is probably my favorite Sabbath album. It's hard for me to be absolutely positive, as the band has so many great albums to their name, but Dehumanizer's always had a particularly special place in my heart. And yeah, Buried Alive is a stunner. Still baffles me that hardly anyone ever brings it up! Or Master of Insanity for that matter!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline pg1067

« Reply #885 on: April 01, 2020, 09:46:06 AM »

I saw H&H in 2007, and the set list was, with maybe one exception, basically what I would have chosen (I'd have swapped out Voodoo for Country Girl).  When they started into "I" after "Children of the Sea," I just about lost it (and my friend, who didn't know Dehumanizer, didn't know the song).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #886 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:29 PM »

I saw H&H in 2007, and the set list was, with maybe one exception, basically what I would have chosen (I'd have swapped out Voodoo for Country Girl).  When they started into "I" after "Children of the Sea," I just about lost it (and my friend, who didn't know Dehumanizer, didn't know the song).

Ah man! They actually played Country Girl in 2009, a bit abbreviated.

I saw them in 2007 and 2009, the latter of which was maybe the 5th to last show Dio ever played  :'(

I caught two guitar picks from Iommi at each of those shows. The first one I gave one to my gf at the time which she later lost. The second time a guy ran up to me and offered 20 bucks for one of them. I was broke at the time so it was much appreciated although normally I would just give an extra to somebody. Still have the two I kept.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: April 01, 2020, 01:21:07 PM »
Not Sabbath related, but I was front row at the Yngwie show I saw about a year ago, and I literally had like 10 or 15 picks (he's got this cool move where he kicks them out to the crowd; would've been great at Wembley, not so much at the Ridgefield Playhouse, cap. 500).  I was handing them out after the show like I was a member of the f-----g band. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: April 01, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »

That's indeed saying something mate, but happy to read it, love his voice.

Offline emtee

« Reply #889 on: April 01, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
I really enjoy the TM albums. I'm really weird in some ways about music. I actually
prefer the TM albums over most everything, with a couple exceptions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: April 01, 2020, 03:14:32 PM »
Strangely, the Sabbath singer that could sing every one of the songs best is the one that nobody remembers. Ray Gillen sang Ozzy's stuff, Dio's stuff, and even Gillan's and Hughes's stuff perfectly. None of them, despite being better singers, could ever really capture what Ozzy did, except Ray. The Montreal show really covered all the ground and he nailed every bit of it.

I'm trying to figure out why that video refers to Montreal when it was actually recorded in London (England, not London, Ontario, Canada).

I'm pretty sure a cleaner version of the audio is the bonus disk on the Seventh Star reissue.  That disk has nine songs from the Hammersmith Odeon in London on 2 June 1986.  The Eternal Idol reissue has the Ray Gillen versions of those songs as the bonus disk.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: April 01, 2020, 03:19:30 PM »
I really enjoy the TM albums. I'm really weird in some ways about music. I actually
prefer the TM albums over most everything, with a couple exceptions.

Nothing weird about that mate.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #892 on: April 01, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »
The Tony Martin Sabbath albums while they have a solid enough fanbase really don't get the recognition they deserve. I hope that they can re-issue them at some point because I would buy them in a heartbeat.

I know Iommi is working on a remix of Forbidden that I'm interested to hear. While it is my least favorite Martin album it really isnt THAT bad. Though opening the album with Illusion of Power was a terrible decision as for me and many others it's the worst song on the album. Starts off on such a bad foot that for many people it just never recovered. I think if they buried it in the middle of the disk it wouldn't be as infamous but it's literally the first thing you hear.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: April 01, 2020, 08:47:43 PM »
If memory serves correct my first exposure to Black Sabbath was Tyr so as in many cases what is current when you're growing up can be a big factor.  It's weird thinking back to that time (mid to late 80's) - I was in my early-mid teens and was a massive Ozzy fan (and had worked my way back to Blizzard)  , loved Martin era Sabbath and didn't get the relationship until I fell in love with Randy Rhoads Tribute and the rocked up versions of Paranoid and Children of The Grave and started asking around where they came from.

Regardless , I agree that the TM era is very under rated.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:52:51 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #894 on: April 01, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »

It was really a helluva thing to see. I caught Houston and Dallas and it was great to see something again that you thought was gone forever. Southern Cross and I were both standouts, and it was probably the best H&H rendition I've seen. My only gripe was playing E5150 as the intro and then interjecting After All before Mob Rules. Really odd decision, and I have no idea why they'd have done that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #895 on: April 02, 2020, 02:20:13 AM »
They must have realized it themselves 'cause they dropped it after some shows, when I did see them, they opened with Mob Rules.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #896 on: April 02, 2020, 03:16:12 AM »
Pretty decent fan made video for 'Devil and Daughter' from the Headless Cross album.
https://youtu.be/LJMqxats_9c

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: April 02, 2020, 05:04:19 AM »
Pretty decent fan made video for 'Devil and Daughter' from the Headless Cross album.

One of the most underrated Martin era tracks.  Iommi rips on this.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #898 on: April 02, 2020, 09:45:56 AM »
Southern Cross and I were both standouts, and it was probably the best H&H rendition I've seen. My only gripe was playing E5150 as the intro and then interjecting After All before Mob Rules. Really odd decision, and I have no idea why they'd have done that.

Hmmm...they went straight from E5150 into Mob Rules at my show (10/6/07).  Looks like the shows you saw were in the spring, and they seem to have "fixed" that when the tour moved to Europe in early June.

For the, the #1 highlight was Falling off the Edge of the World.  Absolutely epic song, and when those first heavy chords kick in, it gives me goosebumps.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: April 02, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »

Hey Wolfster, remember the huge turn outs for the Tony Martin era survivors lol.  So many great tunes from the TM era, but Headless Cross was the first song I heard with Martin, and is still my favorite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: April 02, 2020, 02:13:29 PM »

Hey Wolfster, remember the huge turn outs for the Tony Martin era survivors lol.  So many great tunes from the TM era, but Headless Cross was the first song I heard with Martin, and is still my favorite.

I was determined to keep running them with only like 3 of us voting.  :lol  seems like we'd get a couple more now which is good.  Although doing them daily for next to no one was a bit torturous lol.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #901 on: April 25, 2020, 09:49:43 AM »
25th April 1980.

HEAVEN AND HELL is released!  :metal another landmark album in the history of heavy metal goes forty!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #902 on: April 25, 2020, 10:41:37 AM »
25th April 1980.

HEAVEN AND HELL is released!  :metal another landmark album in the history of heavy metal goes forty!

:metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #903 on: April 25, 2020, 11:56:35 AM »
Still one of my favorites! :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: April 25, 2020, 02:19:50 PM »
25th April 1980.

:hefdaddy

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: April 25, 2020, 03:56:36 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: April 26, 2020, 04:27:20 AM »
Along with Computer God, my guitar teacher back when I was like 13 also put Neon Knights and Heaven and Hell on a mixtape.  Simply couldn't beleive my ears.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #907 on: February 16, 2021, 05:24:07 AM »
Massive bump. But I have a good reason for it. It turns out, I've spent the last decade and a half living in a lie.

A friend of mine burned me a copy of Master of reality fifteen years ago. I've carried this copy around ever since and even burned it to my PC, which is how I've been listening to the album for years now. The copy obviously contained a short instrumental bit called Embryo before Children of the grave kicks in.

Today, for some reason, I decided to listen to the album via Spotify. Embryo starts, and it is the guitar intro that originaly kicked off Children of the grave itself on my copy. At the end of Children of the grave on Spotify, there is a short atmospheric bit with whispers that go around (I did some research, and the section is called The Haunting). The thing is this - The Haunting was actually titled Embryo on my original copy and it went on BEFORE Children of the grave. I've spent half my life thinking The Haunting is Embryo.  :lol

So, here's the question. Has there ever been a reissue that features The Haunting before Children of the grave, or has it always been a part of Children of the grave ending?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: February 16, 2021, 07:58:04 AM »
Massive bump. But I have a good reason for it. It turns out, I've spent the last decade and a half living in a lie.

A friend of mine burned me a copy of Master of reality fifteen years ago. I've carried this copy around ever since and even burned it to my PC, which is how I've been listening to the album for years now. The copy obviously contained a short instrumental bit called Embryo before Children of the grave kicks in.

Today, for some reason, I decided to listen to the album via Spotify. Embryo starts, and it is the guitar intro that originaly kicked off Children of the grave itself on my copy. At the end of Children of the grave on Spotify, there is a short atmospheric bit with whispers that go around (I did some research, and the section is called The Haunting). The thing is this - The Haunting was actually titled Embryo on my original copy and it went on BEFORE Children of the grave. I've spent half my life thinking The Haunting is Embryo.  :lol

So, here's the question. Has there ever been a reissue that features The Haunting before Children of the grave, or has it always been a part of Children of the grave ending?

I have had four versions of the album proper:   LP, Cassette, Original CD, and remastered deluxe version, and I have the song on the "We Sold Our Souls..." compilation.  None have that reversed.    Embryo is often broken into a separate song; if mentioned at all (and it's not always, like on WSOSFRNR) "The Haunting" isn't a separate track, but rather a footnote, either "Children Of The Grave/The Haunting" or "Children Of The Grave (with "The Haunting")".    On the new deluxe version, "The Haunting" isn't even mentioned at all on the outer packaging or on the pictures of the tape boxes in the artwork.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #909 on: February 16, 2021, 09:08:08 AM »
That is so interesting, thanks for the information. It's unbelievable how I even got to see Sabbath live, the set list said "Embryo/Children of the grave" afterwards, and I remember thinking "wait, I haven't heard Embryo!"  :lol