Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 143021 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #560 on: June 04, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »
Tony Iommi shits all over Page.

No question.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #561 on: June 04, 2014, 06:22:47 AM »
I think the Page vs Iommi debate is fascinating.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: June 04, 2014, 06:30:22 AM »

Iommi = Innovator
Page = Imitator

What??  One... everyone imitates to an extent.  It's called influence yes? Page's innovations have influenced musicians overall more than Tony's.   Bottom line, while I didn't know it was a question of longevity, Page's studio accolades simply are in a different league than Iommi's.  If you go by longevity, then I guess Keith Richards is better than Tony yeah? :lol

Just how do you know for anything resembling an actual fact that Page is more of an influence than Iommi?
Fact is that Iommi invented the heavy metal riff and sound, which influence is genre defining and without, metal would/may not be the same as we know it today.
The blues that Page plays, was around long before him and long after his creative output dried up.
What has Page done, of any great note since LZ split, besides rehashing the Zep back catalogue numerous times?
While Iommi is still cranking out those unique sounding riffs and playing live.

My quantifier is what I've heard bands say over the decades as to who influenced them.  I've heard many more say Page than Iommi.  Is that absolute?  Of course not, just what I've heard.  Back to the longevity thing.  Doesn't matter a bit.  Like I said, going by your logic, Richards is more creative and relevant than Iommi.  Do you believe that?  I sure don't.  Also, I never said Page was the "Father of Metal"  You're correct, he's more blues based.  That doesn't mean he was not unique.  As far as Tony being the father of the metal riff?  Probably so ... but... there are others who played some pretty heavy riffs back in the  60's, and even earlier.  I love Tony and Sabbath, just don't see the necessity of trashing Page, a legendary guitarist.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #563 on: June 04, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »
I've heard many things over the years too, but it does not make them true.
I never insinuated that you stated anything about Page being the father of metal.
Page has never been anything related to metal, that is common knowledge.

No Iommi is widely regarded as the father of metal, and if there are 'others who played heavy riffs in the 1960's'', then please name them?

My intention was never to trash Page, but he has been accused many times of plagiarism, while Iommi never has (except maybe his own riffs).

Once again I'll state that Iommi has been prolific over the past 30 years, while Page has done next to nothing.
Why you are adding Keith Richards to the equation is baffling to say the least.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: June 04, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
I named 2, 60's guitarists who are considered by some to be fore fathers of Metal.  Well...I guess we're just not listening to each other... :lol  pointless to continue ... 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #565 on: June 04, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »

No Iommi is widely regarded as the father of metal, and if there are 'others who played heavy riffs in the 1960's'', then please name them?

Pete Townshend.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #566 on: June 04, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »

Pete Townshend.

Who?

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: June 06, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
I accidentally tripped into listening to Technical Ecstasy for the first time in 25 or more years. I've forgotten how much I enjoyed this album and still to this day can't figure out why it is so universally panned.

:metal
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #568 on: June 06, 2014, 10:47:59 AM »
I accidentally tripped into listening to Technical Ecstasy for the first time in 25 or more years. I've forgotten how much I enjoyed this album and still to this day can't figure out why it is so universally panned.

So you haven't listened to it in 25 years and even then it was by accident.

Hmm..

:lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #569 on: June 06, 2014, 11:19:30 AM »
Hey, he said he was tripping.  You do all kinds of crazy stuff when you're tripping.

:hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #570 on: June 06, 2014, 11:20:28 AM »
Oh yeah, I like Technical Ecstasy, too.  I remember when it came out, I thought the cover was so, so cool.  Now... not so much, although I guess it's still kinda cool.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: June 06, 2014, 11:57:22 AM »
TE is a good release.  I would say "Dirty Women" is my favorite Ozzy era Sabbath song.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #572 on: June 06, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »
Interesting how some of the music on Techical Ecstacy and Never Say Die foreshadows Ozzy's solo stuff. Some of those songs would fit right into Bark at the Moon or Ultimate Sin.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #573 on: June 06, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »
Interesting how some of the music on Techical Ecstacy and Never Say Die foreshadows Ozzy's solo stuff. Some of those songs would fit right into Bark at the Moon or Ultimate Sin.

Maybe Ultimate Sin, but I don't hear anything on those albums that would fit on Bark At The moon. :)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #574 on: June 06, 2014, 10:04:26 PM »

Maybe Ultimate Sin, but I don't hear anything on those albums that would fit on Bark At The moon. :)
Okay I'll give you that Mr. Picayune :).
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: November 03, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »
Saturday was a gorgeous, sunny, Autumn day and while driving home from the locally brewery with a growler full of Pilsner for the football game, Fairies Wear Boots came on the shuffle.

Man, what a great intro to a song. It perfectly builds and still kicks my ass after all these years.  :metal
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #576 on: November 03, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: January 18, 2016, 12:40:28 PM »
Due to a conversation with Stadler in the "7 songs in 7 days" thread, I listened to Technical Ecstasy a couple of times today. It has been a while.

"She's Gone" blew me away. Damn... Ozzie's voice gives this song a twisted vibe that slays me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:43:14 PM by Podaar »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: January 18, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
They'll be releasing an EP in two days, only to be sold at their final tour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_(EP)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: January 18, 2016, 01:28:19 PM »
I'll be seeing them live on the 27th.

Interested to see what the set list will be.  The usual supects will be played, but it sounds like a few obscure tracks that havent been played since the 70's may make an appearance.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #580 on: January 19, 2016, 07:30:36 AM »
Due to a conversation with Stadler in the "7 songs in 7 days" thread, I listened to Technical Ecstasy a couple of times today. It has been a while.

"She's Gone" blew me away. Damn... Ozzie's voice gives this song a twisted vibe that slays me.

I know it's a much maligned album, and I know the band doesn't think too highly of it (though having said that, they do play songs from it on occasion. usually Dirty Women) but I love that album.  It's brighter than the sludge-fests that came later, and I absolutely consider Geezer to be one of my top three favorite lyricists.   I think "Gypsy" is a top ten Sabbath song.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #581 on: January 20, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »

Yeah I just gave it a spin as well. I cannot even remember the last time I played it. In fact, I've never bothered to even get it on CD. But I will now.

I really enjoyed my listen, except for It's Alright.

I think "Gypsy" is a top ten Sabbath song.   

Damn, it really is pretty awesome. What a hidden jewel. Like I said, maybe 25 years since I listened.

Gypsy musically reminds me a lot of the original Alice Cooper band, a band that was really ahead of its time and severely underrated.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: January 20, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »
Iommi : " it'll be great to finish with all the same guys we started with..."

Umm....... :|

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: January 20, 2016, 11:50:46 AM »
Iommi : " it'll be great to finish with all the same guys we started with..."

Umm....... :|

yeah seems to be missing an important part lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #584 on: January 20, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
I honestly prefer Never Say Die to TE, mostly on the basis of Junior's Eye's, and to a lesser extent the title track and Johnny Blade. Aside from Dirty Women there's nothing on TE that really grabs me, and that's mostly limited to seeing Iommi play it live.

Pretty sure I have a ticket to see the final tour somewhere, but since they went on sail a year before the show I've forgotten about it. I probably wouldn't have bothered, honestly, as I have a real beef with Sharon Osbourne's entire existence (God damned shame her father's dogs didn't get her, but at least he tried) and I'm pretty annoyed about the Bill Ward thing. But, tickets were reasonable and it's important to see Geezer and Iommi again before they croak. My preference would have been to buy scalper tickets so as not to support that filthy whore, but I wasn't in charge of the ticket procurement.

edit:
It's brighter than the sludge-fests that came later, and I absolutely consider Geezer to be one of my top three favorite lyricists.
Not sure what constitutes the sludgefest, although Born Again is certainly pretty dark. Personally, I consider the first few Tony Martin albums, TYR in particular, to be among the best they've done. Not on a par with SBS and Sabotage, but as good as or better than everything else.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: January 20, 2016, 12:09:11 PM »
I honestly prefer Never Say Die to TE, mostly on the basis of Junior's Eye's, and to a lesser extent the title track and Johnny Blade. Aside from Dirty Women there's nothing on TE that really grabs me, and that's mostly limited to seeing Iommi play it live.

Pretty sure I have a ticket to see the final tour somewhere, but since they went on sail a year before the show I've forgotten about it. I probably wouldn't have bothered, honestly, as I have a real beef with Sharon Osbourne's entire existence (God damned shame her father's dogs didn't get her, but at least he tried) and I'm pretty annoyed about the Bill Ward thing. But, tickets were reasonable and it's important to see Geezer and Iommi again before they croak. My preference would have been to buy scalper tickets so as not to support that filthy whore, but I wasn't in charge of the ticket procurement.

"Dirty Women" is not only the standout for me from TE, but one of, if not my favorite, song from the Ozzy era.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: January 20, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
Never Say Die is such an underrated Sabbath album, lots of great tracks there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #587 on: January 20, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
edit:
It's brighter than the sludge-fests that came later, and I absolutely consider Geezer to be one of my top three favorite lyricists.
Not sure what constitutes the sludgefest, although Born Again is certainly pretty dark. Personally, I consider the first few Tony Martin albums, TYR in particular, to be among the best they've done. Not on a par with SBS and Sabotage, but as good as or better than everything else.

I love the martin era as well; I was referring to much of Dehumanizer and the Heaven And Hell record.  It seemed like when they reunited with Dio it just became "how heavy can it be?".   Sabbath is not known for it's subtlety, but it is the subtle moments I like best.  The intro to Spiral Architect.  Over To You.   Gypsy.   Tomorrow's Dream. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #588 on: January 20, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »
Dehumanizer is one of my very favorites, but you're right that it's not subtle. There seems to be some genuine anger going on there. Still, I remains one of the standouts from Dio's entire catalog, IMO. The only problem I have with Dehumanizer is that it prevented a followup to TYR with Cozy/Niel Murray. Those two were awesome together, but five years later they cranked out some real crap with Forbidden. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: January 20, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
"I" is completely awesome. Good call there, El Barto.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #590 on: January 20, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
My favorite tune from Dehumanizer is Buried Alive.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: January 20, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »
"I" is a major standout for me. Love the version from H&H Neon Knights live album!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #592 on: January 20, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »
"I" is a major standout for me. Love the version from H&H Neon Knights live album!

That album is a tour de force for both Dio and Iommi.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #593 on: January 20, 2016, 02:02:52 PM »
Dehumanizer is one of my very favorites, but you're right that it's not subtle. There seems to be some genuine anger going on there. Still, I remains one of the standouts from Dio's entire catalog, IMO. The only problem I have with Dehumanizer is that it prevented a followup to TYR with Cozy/Niel Murray. Those two were awesome together, but five years later they cranked out some real crap with Forbidden.

You know it's funny you mentioned the lack of subtlety and presence of anger. I've often thought that Dio's next album, Strange Highways was less subtle and a lot angrier than what he had done before, and I've often thought that it was a reflection of the Black Sabbath thing not working out at that time.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #594 on: January 20, 2016, 02:14:33 PM »

You know it's funny you mentioned the lack of subtlety and presence of anger. I've often thought that Dio's next album, Strange Highways was less subtle and a lot angrier than what he had done before, and I've often thought that it was a reflection of the Black Sabbath thing not working out at that time.

Well they have a similar vibe.