Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 142996 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 02, 2014, 10:15:26 PM »
Cross Purposes is an awesome disc; hopefully one day it will be re-released, just like the rest of the TM albums.

Yeah, I'd wish they would do a re-release package for Headless and TYR.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #526 on: February 03, 2014, 12:31:29 AM »
Jerusalem is fuckin awesome. The style of Tyr is so different for a Sabbath album. There are so many people who, if they heard HC or Tyr, probably wouldn't believe they're Sabbath albums if they weren't already aware. Iommi needs more credit as a guitarist and songwriter. He should be up there with Jimmy Page and co. From what i can tell, he's not usually put in the same category as those guys.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #527 on: February 03, 2014, 01:33:41 AM »
Notepad: after reading Mick Wall's recent Sabbath book 'Symptom of the Universe', your comments are not surprising.
Since day one Sabbath got no credit for anything from the critics, and have always been treated as 'second class' by the industry.
Iommi is an incredible guitarist, and those who know metal and know guitar, he is an icon, legend and unique.
He does things that most guitarist can only dream of, get sounds and has a heaviness that no one can match.

As you eluded to, during the Martin era was responsible for some incredible songwriting, bar one album with Geezer did it all on his own
with writing some of his best riffs and songs.

As for the 4 remaining Martin era albums that are long deleted, I'm sure it's in Iommi hands when these are released.
I know that Joe Seigler from black-sabbth.com is in Iommi's management ear about what should be on any re-issues.
I reckon they would be held back until the whole Sabbath 13 album, touring cycle, 13 album re-issue (with the 4 remaining 13 session unreleased tracks)
is done, as to avoid any confusion with the current line up.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #528 on: February 03, 2014, 01:39:07 AM »
Now that I'v been digging really deep into Sabbath, I'm starting to see that the most impressive performer on any of their albums was Iommi. It's clear he's the heart and soul of the band. Ozzy is not the Prince of Darkness, Ton Iommi is.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #529 on: February 03, 2014, 02:27:35 AM »
Dammit, show Iommi proper respect and call him the Creator of darkness!  :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #530 on: February 03, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
So I've done a little listening to Martin era songs on youtube.

Fucking A... this is awesome
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: February 03, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
Jerusalem is fuckin awesome. The style of Tyr is so different for a Sabbath album. There are so many people who, if they heard HC or Tyr, probably wouldn't believe they're Sabbath albums if they weren't already aware. Iommi needs more credit as a guitarist and songwriter. He should be up there with Jimmy Page and co. From what i can tell, he's not usually put in the same category as those guys.

Iommi blows Page out of the water.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: February 03, 2014, 06:25:49 PM »
If the Zepheads see that there'll be trouble  ;D

Re Martin era ......my first Sabbs album was actually Tyr and (aside from the first couple of songs) there's not anything in their catalogue that I like much better tbh.    Very good album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: February 03, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »
If the Zepheads see that there'll be trouble  ;D

I aint scared, it's true.  :laugh:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #534 on: February 03, 2014, 06:32:19 PM »
Iommi blows Page out of the water.

I love Led Zeppelin more than I will probably ever love Sabbath and I kinda agree. Page is awesome... but in the studio setting. Live he just sounds so sloppy IMO
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #535 on: February 03, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »
In his prime, Iommi couldn't touch Page for soloing.  From 1969 to 1973 or so, Page played fantastic solos, especially live, then the heroin made his fingers sticky. If you heard Page in his later days, yeah, he's very sloppy and sticky fingered, but in the early days, he was awesome.

Page however couldn't touch Iommi for writing memorable riffs at any part of his career, though, and that's what Iommi is known for: he's a riff machine.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #536 on: February 04, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »
Tony Iommi is the king of writing memorable riffs. For example, When he's with Dio and doing the Sabbath-dio/H&H thing, he makes it look so easy. I noticed while listening to TDYK that the songs are more of a tradional song structure then that on 13. It's seems so easy for Iommi  to come up with these awesome riffs that sound so dark and compile them into songs. I could see it being very easy for him to do another H&H album, or something like it. With 13 the riffing is more spread out. But just as awesome.

Am i wrong if i say i hear some Zepplin influence in some of the early Sabbath stuff with Ozzy?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #537 on: February 14, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
Oooh-kay.. Jimmy Page vs. Tony Iommi 

I'm a Zep-head for sure but I wouldn't be one to rage over those who favored Iommi.  Both are visionary guitarists in their own right.   I just think that Page embraced a wider scope of styles, which worked to bring Zep's music to a much broader audience.  Iommi focused on developing that very specific sound that has come to be known as heavy metal.  As someone already suggested, Iommi is the true Prince of Darkness when it comes to heavy music.  Page, on the other hand, had his philosophy of injecting 'light and shade' in Zep's overall sound.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #538 on: February 14, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
Biggest difference for me is that Iommi is still writing killer riffs and playing live.
Page has really done nothing since LZ split.
Iommi is a living and practicing legend, while Page living off his past works.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #539 on: February 14, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »

I'm a Zep-head for sure but I wouldn't be one to rage over those who favored Iommi.  Both are visionary guitarists in their own right.   I just think that Page embraced a wider scope of styles, which worked to bring Zep's music to a much broader audience.  Iommi focused on developing that very specific sound that has come to be known as heavy metal.  As someone already suggested, Iommi is the true Prince of Darkness when it comes to heavy music.  Page, on the other hand, had his philosophy of injecting 'light and shade' in Zep's overall sound.
I'm glad you found this conversation. I meant to bring it to your attention the other day.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #540 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »

Wow. Pretty much this.

And I've always seen it as:

Ozzy is Ozzy. Iommi is Black Sabbath.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: February 14, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »
Also - Iommi pretty much spearheaded a new genre whilst Page arguably stole a load of blues songs and turned them up.

And I *like* Led Zep ! :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #542 on: May 30, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #543 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »
I guess they were opening for the touring company of The Wiz. Good footage, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #545 on: June 02, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
Just listened to Tyr and Cross Purposes for the first time, and Headless Cross for the first time in nearly 2 decades. Surprised to find I really enjoyed them. Tony Martin was awesome.
When do these albums get the Deluxe treatment? Will be a definite buy for me.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #546 on: June 02, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
Just listened to Tyr and Cross Purposes for the first time, and Headless Cross for the first time in nearly 2 decades. Surprised to find I really enjoyed them. Tony Martin was awesome.
When do these albums get the Deluxe treatment? Will be a definite buy for me.

Same here, i've always found that entire era to be severely underrated.

There is a deluxe edition of the eternal idol which comes with the alternate version with Ray Gillen on vocals.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #547 on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
Yeah I've got that. Gillen was a great singer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #548 on: June 02, 2014, 02:57:19 PM »
Lots of good material in the Martin era. I cmpletely disregarded it as it was happening. Thought it was a joke that they were out as "Black Sabbath". Passed on seeing them with Martin a number of times. I remember reading a lot of positive reviews on the albums, but I just couldnt give it the time of day. I really wish I had.while I did see Cozy Powell live a couple of times, it wouldve been awesome to see him with Iommi.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: June 02, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »
Cross Purposes doesn't do much for me but I'm a fan of Tyr , especially the last 2/3rds.......
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: June 02, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »
Martin era = Best Sabbath.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: June 02, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »

A close second behind Dio for me!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #552 on: June 02, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »
Nothing will ever beat the first four albums with Ozzy (with the possible exception of Heaven and Hell), but the Martin era is underrated for sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: June 03, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »

Over the Ozzy era? Wow!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #554 on: June 03, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »

Over the Ozzy era? Wow!

DIO for me, never a huge BS fan with Ozzy, though there best tracks are awesome there's lots of stuff I don't like.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: June 03, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »

Over the Ozzy era? Wow!

+1  Dio era over Ozzy.  Not to say I don't love early Sab, cause I do, but Dio's Sab is a whole different beast.  As far as the Page remarks earlier.... Jay covered it well.  In the studio Page is the master, and sloppy live a good percentage of the time.  That being said, weighing everything out... Page is much better than Tony IMO.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #556 on: June 03, 2014, 02:19:10 PM »
Easy to sum up for me, Iommi still creating new music.
Page, since the demise of Zep has done buggar all, a couple of albums with The Firm, Coverdale and little else.

Iommi = Innovator
Page = Imitator

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: June 03, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »

Iommi = Innovator
Page = Imitator

What??  One... everyone imitates to an extent.  It's called influence yes? Page's innovations have influenced musicians overall more than Tony's.   Bottom line, while I didn't know it was a question of longevity, Page's studio accolades simply are in a different league than Iommi's.  If you go by longevity, then I guess Keith Richards is better than Tony yeah? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #558 on: June 03, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
Tony Iommi shits all over Page.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #559 on: June 04, 2014, 03:18:10 AM »

Iommi = Innovator
Page = Imitator

What??  One... everyone imitates to an extent.  It's called influence yes? Page's innovations have influenced musicians overall more than Tony's.   Bottom line, while I didn't know it was a question of longevity, Page's studio accolades simply are in a different league than Iommi's.  If you go by longevity, then I guess Keith Richards is better than Tony yeah? :lol

Just how do you know for anything resembling an actual fact that Page is more of an influence than Iommi?
Fact is that Iommi invented the heavy metal riff and sound, which influence is genre defining and without, metal would/may not be the same as we know it today.
The blues that Page plays, was around long before him and long after his creative output dried up.
What has Page done, of any great note since LZ split, besides rehashing the Zep back catalogue numerous times?
While Iommi is still cranking out those unique sounding riffs and playing live.