Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 140850 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 06:41:08 AM »
Sabotage is great. Technical Ecstacy not so great. I personally like Never Say Die. Junior's Eyes is in my Top 10.

Also, just had my first listen to Tony Martin yesterday. He is outstanding!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ehra

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »
I've got everything from the Ozzy era which is easily in my top 3 favorite bands. However, I don't have much other stuff of theirs, just two Dio albums: Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. I absolutely love Mob Rules but I was never able to get into Heaven and Hell... I should give it another try sometime.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »
I'd specifically keep an ear out again for Die Young, the title track, Children Of The Sea, and Lonely Is The Word.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »
Listened to most of Technical Ecstasy this morning.  I have some mixed feelings so far.

I'm a keyboard player, and used properly, I think keys have the potential to add something to the sound of a band.  Dream Theater is a good example of a band that is clearly in the Metal vein, but incorporates synthesizers.  Deep Purple had Jon Lord and his suped-up Hammond.  But with Black Sabbath, I'm having a little trouble.  Yeah, it still sounds like Sabbath, and the Moog on the opening track is cool.  But by time they start adding piano, especially too much piano, it might sound okay, but it doesn't sound like Black Sabbath anymore.  "You Won't Change Me" is a rather weak song anyway, and I can't help but feel that the piano actually helped weaken it.  It reminds me of bad Ozzy solo stuff.

I can't fault them for trying to expand their sound - you can't just keep cranking out the same thing over and over - but there's a difference between showing a different side of the band and just plain putting something out there that doesn't sound like anything else you've ever done.  Which song was it that had the rockin' piano?  "Rock 'n' Roll Doctor"?  Again, not a bad song, but if it wasn't Ozzy singing, I would never have guessed it was Sabbath.  "It's Alright" is not a bad song.  The acoustic guitar work is nice, and Bill Ward's voice is fine.  But again, right there you've got two things that make it not sound anything like Black Sabbath.

Oddly enough, I didn't have trouble with the keys on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.  Probably because they were used more sparingly, and possibly because I'm a Wakeman fanboy and was busy digging what he could do in a very different setting from his usual work with Yes.  (I need to listen to that one again too.)

Overall, I can see why die-hards have trouble with this one.  It's less consistent and generally has weaker songwriting.  But I'm not through it yet, and I guess the closer, "Dirty Women" is supposed to knock my socks off.  I'm looking forward to that.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 11:26:11 PM »
I love all three of the distinct eras of Sabbath - Ozzy, Dio, and Tony Martin. The only vocalist that did not do it for me was Ian Gillan. As much as I love him with Deep Purple, he was not a good fit for Sabbath.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 11:34:55 PM »
Black Sabbath's debut is one of my favourite albums. Last time I made a Top 10 albums list, it snuck in there, I think.

I dunno which I'd like most after that. Perhaps Sabotage.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2009, 12:51:26 AM »
I have nothing but pure love for

Black Sabbath
Master of Reality
Paranoid

i could listen to those all day every day as far as im concerned.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »
I love all three of the distinct eras of Sabbath - Ozzy, Dio, and Tony Martin. The only vocalist that did not do it for me was Ian Gillan. As much as I love him with Deep Purple, he was not a good fit for Sabbath.

I actually quite liked Sabbath with Ian Gillan on the Born Again album.  Too bad he only made that one album with them. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2009, 05:08:14 AM »

I actually quite liked Sabbath with Ian Gillan on the Born Again album.  Too bad he only made that one album with them. 

But Born Again isn't great. A missed opportunity IMO.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2009, 06:40:23 AM »
Also, just had my first listen to Tony Martin yesterday. He is outstanding!!

He's awesome.  Definitely an underrated vocalist.  From the bootlegs I've heard from when he was in the band, he also did a fine job with the Ozzy and Dio material live.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2009, 07:30:07 AM »

But Born Again isn't great. A missed opportunity IMO.

Oddly enough, that's why a lot of poeple wanted to hear a second album from that same lineup.  Sometimes the first album from a new lineup is shaky, but the second one nails it.  They grow into the new sound, the guys learn to work together and write together.  Now we'll never know.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »
I decided to check out all of the Sabbath stuff that nobody listens to and there's some great stuff there.  I never really gave the Tony Martin era a chance, but it's great.  Tyr is fantastic, as it turns out.  More people should appreciate this.

As for Ian Gillan, I though Born Again was a great album.  There was a thread about the best 3 song run, and if it weren't for the two short interludes, Trashed, Disturbing the Priest and Zero the Hero would definitely merit consideration.  Side two lags a bit, but the title track is greatness, as well. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010, 05:22:40 PM »
It amazes me that even though there has been a countless number of death and thrash metal bands since Sabbath, I STILL have yet to hear a riff that sounds more evil than Symptom of the Universe.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
Black Sabbath is amazing. That's really all there's to be said. And seeing Ozzy Osbourne perform "Rat Salad" at Ozzfest 2010 was fucking awesome. The whole thing was perfect, including extended guitar and drum solos. As overplayed and well-known as it is, Paranoid is probably my favorite album. You'll be hard-pressed to find many riffs heavier than some on that album (read: "Electric Funeral"). Big fan of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath too, but I've been listening to a lot of Black Sabbath Vol. 4 lately... goddamn they're too good!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »
I decided to check out all of the Sabbath stuff that nobody listens to and there's some great stuff there.  I never really gave the Tony Martin era a chance, but it's great.  Tyr is fantastic, as it turns out.  More people should appreciate this.

Absolutely. I thumbed my nose at the Martin era as it was happening. I just wasn't interested. And they played in Boston a number of times, and I never gave it any thought. But those albums, with the exception of Forbidden, are GREAT. I love Cross Purposes probably the most, but Headles Cross, Tyr, and Eternal idol are all outstanding. Has to be the most underrated band going. Tony Martin was outstanding. He does a great Children Of The Sea live.

As for Ian Gillan, I though Born Again was a great album.  There was a thread about the best 3 song run, and if it weren't for the two short interludes, Trashed, Disturbing the Priest and Zero the Hero would definitely merit consideration.  Side two lags a bit, but the title track is greatness, as well. 
Calling this a great album is a bit generous I think. The 3 songs you mentioned are indeed great, but the album has nothing left to offer after those. It's a 7 song album with only 3 remarkable tracks. On a good day, I might consider the title track OK...

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »
Ozzy performed Rat Salad? That makes no sense. How does a vocalist perform a song that's entirely instrumental?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
El Barto, thanks for resurrecting this thread.  I thought I'd killed it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
Ozzy performed Rat Salad? That makes no sense. How does a vocalist perform a song that's entirely instrumental?
Probably the same way that he takes songs with vocals and slurs them into instrumentals!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
Probably the same way that he takes songs with vocals and slurs them into instrumentals!

Nice :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »
:lol

I wasn't sure how to say it... Ozzy Osbourne would be the act on stage, so I just referred to it as that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 06:00:14 PM »

Calling this a great album is a bit generous I think. The 3 songs you mentioned are indeed great, but the album has nothing left to offer after those. It's a 7 song album with only 3 remarkable tracks. On a good day, I might consider the title track OK...

Perhaps my wording was off.  I wasn't thinking great as in an official status, like a great presidency.  However, I do disagree with regards to the title track.  I think it's one where Gillan gets to shine. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2010, 06:33:40 PM »

As for Ian Gillan, I though Born Again was a great album.  There was a thread about the best 3 song run, and if it weren't for the two short interludes, Trashed, Disturbing the Priest and Zero the Hero would definitely merit consideration.  Side two lags a bit, but the title track is greatness, as well.  

Perhaps my wording was off.  I wasn't thinking great as in an official status, like a great presidency.  However, I do disagree with regards to the title track.  I think it's one where Gillan gets to shine.  
Yeah, he's great on that. I just find that the song drags a little bit. Like I said, for me, it just depends on my mood.

But I busted out Tyr for the treadmill tonight. Man, I love Cozy Powell. I liken Tony Martin to a hybrid of Ronnie James Dio and David Coverdale. He really is that good.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2010, 06:36:39 PM »
This was just posted on Blabbermouth.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=148736

Something Halford said seems a little off.

So that's why I feel that first SABBATH album for me — much like 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' for JUDAS PRIEST — is a very important release.

wut

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »
This was just posted on Blabbermouth.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=148736

Something Halford said seems a little off.

So that's why I feel that first SABBATH album for me — much like 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' for JUDAS PRIEST — is a very important release.

wut

You cut the context out of that quote:
"If you look back at the history of your favourite band, generally the first couple are the ones that really kind of grab you. So that's why I feel that first SABBATH album for me — much like 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' for JUDAS PRIEST — is a very important release.

And it's a trip hearing Rob try to sing down to Ozzy's level.  I kept expecting to hear him throw one of those screams in there, and it never happened.  Really sounded crappy.  Much better is hearing rob sing Dio's songs.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_P3sS1DHw  It's just a shame he didn't do the story part.  I'd like to hear him do the burn in fire scream.
E.F. Benson

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2010, 08:23:25 PM »
So I'm not the only one here who thinks the Tony Martin era was overlooked? AWESOME!  :metal
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2010, 08:25:54 PM »
He's not omitting Rocka Rolla, just saying that it was an important early work, much like Sabbath's first record.

Yes, Tony Martin is a fantastic vocalist and his contributions to the band should never be overlooked. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2010, 09:36:34 PM »
Oh damn. I misread it. Sorry.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »
I heard Master Of Reality cranked on the cans last week to hear any buried things too. Honestly it's one of the best albums ever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2010, 05:48:22 AM »
I can't wait to pick up the re-releases of Seventh Star and The Eternal idol.  2 essential Sabbath albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
Strangely, 7th Star didn't do much for me.  Strange because I really dig Glenn Hughes, but he just never really sounded like himself on that one.  I definitely liked Gillan and Martin better in Sabbath.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:22 AM »
Strangely, 7th Star didn't do much for me.  Strange because I really dig Glenn Hughes, but he just never really sounded like himself on that one.  I definitely liked Gillan and Martin better in Sabbath.
The music is just better on the Martin albums than on Seventh Star.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »
I can't wait to pick up the re-releases of Seventh Star and The Eternal idol.  2 essential Sabbath albums.

What's so "re-release" about these albums?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2010, 12:58:36 AM »

https://www.black-sabbath.com/news/2010/09/seventh_star_eternal_idol_pres.html

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2010, 04:10:48 AM »

https://www.black-sabbath.com/news/2010/09/seventh_star_eternal_idol_pres.html

Ahh yeah! Those deluxe editions are always a great idea. Some unheard material and whatever else is a great surprise :tup
I have me the Paranoid and Master Of Reality ones so far.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2010, 04:41:38 AM »
I haven't bothered to get any of them as yet, but will be getting these.  I'm pissed they skipped Born Again, that is one amazing metal album.