Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 143137 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Ah, old Sabbath.  Lazyass summer music at its finest.  I'd almost forgotten how awesome Master of Reality is.  I'd say it's their best, even in spite of being barely a wank long.  Sweet Leaf, Lord of this world, and Into the Void are all top 5 songs.  The latter's my top song, full-stop.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:24:33 PM by MasterShakezula »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
Into the Void was probably the heaviest song of the 70's, full-stop.

Even with death metal, black metal and post-shoegaze grindcore around, it's still crushing today.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2012, 07:33:12 PM »
You are right, I listened to MOR, SBS, S, and V4 all the other day and remembered just how heavy they were and really, they are more powerful than most of my heavy metal/death/black metal albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
Into the Void was probably the heaviest song of the 70's, full-stop.

After Megalomania, Into The Void is my 2nd fave Ozzy era track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2012, 08:31:21 PM »
In past years, I never really appreciated Megalomania, but after listening to the album the other day, it blew me away.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »
In past years, I never really appreciated Megalomania, but after listening to the album the other day, it blew me away.
Hell yeah, mate! :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »
What does everyone think of Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die?  I personally enjoy them, but not to the extent of the first six.  However, I think "Dirty Woman" is one of my favorite Sabbath tracks period.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2012, 10:53:25 PM »
Never Say Die is a great album, haven't listened to TE enough to say.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2012, 10:57:08 PM »
What does everyone think of Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die?  I personally enjoy them, but not to the extent of the first six.  However, I think "Dirty Woman" is one of my favorite Sabbath tracks period.

I'm a fan of both but I probably am the biggest fan of Never Say Die! here so I have it above TE.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »
Just yesterday I had the most random urge to listen to Never Say Die (just the title track). Then I listened to some Sabbath for the first time in ages. I really need to get more full albums, because I have surprisingly few.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2012, 04:51:33 AM »
Which one's do you have, anyhow?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2012, 04:54:10 AM »
Every single song on Never Say Die is fantastic IMO.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2012, 04:54:49 AM »
Never Say Die is a great album, haven't listened to TE enough to say.

Pretty much this. Whenever people discuss underrated albums I always bring up Never Say Die. A really great album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #223 on: July 11, 2012, 05:01:49 AM »
The first side is solid and the other's not half bad.  I wouldn't put it up there with the first 3 or 4, but it's about as good as Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. 

I've only heard Technical Ecstacy once and remember nothing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2012, 05:07:39 AM »
TE is a great album too.  You have Dirty Women, All Moving Parts, Rock N Roll Doctor, Back Street Kids and my personal fav You Won't Change Me, one of Sabbath's most underrated songs.

Saying that still, NSD >>> TE

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: July 11, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »
Which one's do you have, anyhow?

From the Ozzy era, I have Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol 4, Sabotage, and a 2 disc best of. That's actually not quite as bad as I thought now that I look at it, but it's still lacking.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #226 on: July 11, 2012, 06:10:16 AM »
If you're looking to get more, get the self-titled.  It's pretty much in-line with Paranoid and such, all trippy and jammy, assuming you like that version of Sabbath.  The other one I'd recommend is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.  It's lighter and more rock than metal at times, but there are some heavy tunes, as well.  It does have a couple short, weirdass fillers, but unlike the ones on Master of Reality, they are longer and outlast their welcome.  The albums's still good.  Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die could be real good or disappointing; opinions tend to skew positive or way, way negative.  They're a lot less heavy than the first 6 and even throw in random synths, but AFAIC, the latter has it's fair share of good tunes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:15:21 AM by MasterShakezula »

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »
Fortunate to say I caught the original line-up at Ozzfest 2004 & 2005. Although, Halford stepped in for Ozzy since he came down with bronchitis in 2004, so I have actually seen the original line-up just once.

Like the typical Sabbath fan, I prefer the first 6 albums with Ozzy (although, Dirty Women from Technical Ecstacy is one of my top Sabbath songs) and the 3 albums with Dio. The albums with Tony Martin aren't bad either...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
Two weeks until I see Sabbath with Ozzy at Lollapalooza.  Should be fun. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
Legendary heavy metal band BLACK SABBATH has set "13" as the title of its new album. The group's first LP with Ozzy Osbourne since 1978 will be released in June via Vertigo/Universal Republic in the U.S. and Vertigo in all other territories. The drum tracks on the CD were laid down by RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE sticksman Brad Wilk following original drummer Bill Ward's decision to bow out of the reunion.
Huh? Did not expect him to be the drummer but of course that was just a session job for him so it dosen't mean he will tour with them. He is a good drummer no doubt about that, just unexpected.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jammindude

« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
I get that it's just a number associated with bad luck and that's probably the only reason.  But I was trying to figure if there was an alternative interpretation.

If you were to discount everything but the Osbourne and Dio albums...this would be #12.    Can't really count the live album unless you count them both.   Maybe if you count the best of collection WSOSFRNR???

Or have I been a DT fan for so long, I just look for nuggetz everywhere?   :loser: :coolio
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
Just today, my friend said that Sabbath is a grunge band.

Ooookay.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
I'm not that excited about the new album but I may try to see them live if they end up doing a full North American tour.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
Shoulda gotten Portnoy
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2013, 01:58:22 AM »
Shoulda gotten Portnoy
Not sure if joking or not, but no. He wouldn't really fit Black Sabbath's sound.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:31:02 AM by Dark Castle »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2013, 05:42:36 AM »
Weird drummer choice.  I still don't know why Vinny Appice isn't involved.  Maybe there's a reason, I just missed it.

Also, Cross Purposes is incredible.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2013, 07:08:18 AM »
Shoulda gotten Portnoy
Not sure if joking or not, but no. He wouldn't really fit Black Sabbath's sound.

joking of course.. too lazy for green text.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »
Weird drummer choice.  I still don't know why Vinny Appice isn't involved.  Maybe there's a reason, I just missed it.

Also, Cross Purposes is incredible.

Vinnie's in Kill Devil Hill, and as I recall, he pretty much put that band together. When Bill Ward bowed out, Kill Devil Hill was in their debut album/tour cycle.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »
I've heard two tracks from the last Ozzy album and they both sucked, and were autotuned to death.

I don't think I'm even looking forward to this new Sabbath album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »
I've heard two tracks from the last Ozzy album and they both sucked, and were autotuned to death.

Or as I like to call it, "Weekend at Ozzy's". It's the first Ozzy album that I've found no redeeming value in. I even liked several tracks on Black Rain.

Hopefully the style of the Sabbath album will be a bit more fitting, and a bit less overproduced. I'll give it a chance.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »

Or as I like to call it, "Weekend at Ozzy's". It's the first Ozzy album that I've found no redeeming value in. I even liked several tracks on Black Rain.

The redeeming quality in Black Rain (IMO) was Zakk. I can't stand Gus G or whatever his name is...

Funny... I have been on a Sabbath kick the last week oir so. I can't wait for new album

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
The problem with Gus G's playing on the last album was...he was basically told "play it like Zakk." Absolutely none of his personality as a guitar player came through...not that the shitty songs on that album would have been helped by that, but Gus doesn't naturally play like Zakk Wylde.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
>_>

<_<

I liked the last Ozzy album.

*flees*
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
The problem with Gus G's playing on the last album was...he was basically told "play it like Zakk." Absolutely none of his personality as a guitar player came through...not that the shitty songs on that album would have been helped by that, but Gus doesn't naturally play like Zakk Wylde.

Pretty much! I listened to it with an open mind... (even though I am a Zakk fan boy in ways) and it just sounded... forced.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
>_>

<_<

I liked the last Ozzy album.

*flees*
Same here