Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 143026 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #1225 on: October 20, 2023, 06:34:54 PM »
Wolf, I know you love AOR.  Seventh Star seems right up your alley.  It 100% isn't monkey chunks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1226 on: October 20, 2023, 06:36:20 PM »
I fucking hated SS when I first heard it.  I was so confused.  I must say though, over time, it's not all that bad in my eyes.

It's not bad in my eyes either. It's in my ears that it's terrible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: October 20, 2023, 06:41:44 PM »
Take back the Monkey Chunks review  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1228 on: October 20, 2023, 06:43:11 PM »
Take back the Monkey Chunks review  :lol

It's an industry technical term. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: October 20, 2023, 06:47:23 PM »
haha  :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1230 on: October 20, 2023, 07:05:19 PM »
How can anything with Glenn Hughes voice on it blow monkey chunks? I think it’s a fine album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1231 on: October 20, 2023, 07:07:35 PM »
Speaking of Glen Hughes, I recently read his autobiography, and really found this time period interesting. He was fucked up.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: October 20, 2023, 07:13:03 PM »
What do you think about Ian's Sabbath time?  Disturbing the Priest is awesome, you can't even remotely call that Monkey Chunks?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1233 on: October 20, 2023, 07:21:03 PM »
What do you think about Ian's Sabbath time?  Disturbing the Priest is awesome, you can't even remotely call that Monkey Chunks?

I think Disturbing The Priest is one of the best songs ever under the Black Sabbath banner.

Overall, I find Born Again a glorified EP. It feels rushed and it's quite short. The shows on that tour were quite short too and the setlists were the most predictable and boring things ever.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: October 20, 2023, 07:31:06 PM »
Not sure, but wasn't Stonehenge from the Ian Sabbath tour based on Spinal Tap?  One of my favorite movies of all time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1235 on: October 20, 2023, 07:33:02 PM »
Not sure, but wasn't Stonehenge from the Ian Sabbath tour based on Spinal Tap?  One of my favorite movies of all time.

Probably the other way around. That Sabbath tour was before Spinal Tap came out.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: October 20, 2023, 07:35:30 PM »
Right, the other way around

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1237 on: October 21, 2023, 07:42:00 AM »
To be fair Seventh Star was never intended to be a Black Sabbath album. I enjoy it but it definitely sticks out like a sore thumb sound wise. Which is kinda impressive with a band with so many lineup changes.

As for Born Again (which also wasn't supposed to be a Sabbath album) I recently gave it a re-listen after many years and dogshit mix aside I like it a lot more now. Hot Line, Disturbing the Priest, and Born Again being the highlights for me. Honorable mention to The Fallen which 100% should have made the album because it would've been the best song on it imo.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1238 on: October 21, 2023, 07:49:57 AM »
Honorable mention to The Fallen which 100% should have made the album because it would've been the best song on it imo.

Never heard it before, but listening to it now.

There was definitely room for it for sure.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1239 on: October 22, 2023, 12:01:52 AM »
Have been on a huge run of the DIO Sabbath's particularly Dehumanizer and Dio's Strange Highways which feel like sister albums of sorts, both well up on my faves list and anyway digging through Born Again recently.

Hindsight tells us that dogshit sound, along with other issues with the album the cover art, some of the lyrics, Gillan and such, while contributed to the album's failings at the time (although think it initially charted well?) has become the album's appeal and why the album grows in popularity, a cult favorite if you will to this day? 

Of course that can also be attributed to fans yearning for new Sabbath and rediscovering these records all these years later but all that aside, I'm not sure I'd ever want a remix of the album because much like Dehumanizer much of why I appreciate it so much is because of its sound and whatnot.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 07:21:45 AM by WardySI »

Online Trav86

« Reply #1240 on: October 22, 2023, 05:19:52 AM »
I’ve always liked Seventh Star. I think ‘In for the Kill’ and ‘No Stranger to Love’ are awesome songs. Are they awesome “Black Sabbath songs”? I don’t know. But I like them.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1241 on: October 22, 2023, 07:50:50 AM »
"romanticizes"??.........The Tony Martin era is great stuff.

Tony was the perfect guy to bridge the gap and keep things afloat between the Dio/Ozzy reunion eras. He could do both eras justice while singing live and some of his eras' songs are unfairly forgotten. Headless Cross deserves to be in the conversation with the best songs that Sabbath made.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1242 on: October 23, 2023, 01:07:20 PM »
I wouldn't say it's among my favorites, but I do like it...

One thing I never quite understood is the "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi" thing...I mean, I get that for a while this was supposed to be a Iommi solo record, but then there were pressures to release it as "Black Sabbath". Once that was decided, though, what was the point of adding "Featuring Tony Iommi"?? :biggrin: He was the ONE permanent fixture of the band the whole time! Of course it was going to "feature" him...??

Now that you point it out it kinda feels weird  ;D

My guesses:

- Compromise. Iommi wanted it labeled as a Tony Iommi album. The label wanted Black Sabbath. They met halfway to distinguish it somehow from other Sabbath albums.
- Recognition. Let's remember that the band was basically dead at the time. When Ian Gillian left, the band tried to go on with a couple of singers and then folded. The name was a way of saying "so, Black Sabbath is back and in case you wonder if any of the original guys is there, well, it's Iommi".

I always thought it was the first one.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1243 on: October 23, 2023, 01:20:44 PM »
Yep. It was supposed to be Tony's first solo record. Sharon's Dad and the label forced him to change the name to sell more copies.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: October 23, 2023, 04:06:46 PM »
I’ve always liked Seventh Star. I think ‘In for the Kill’ and ‘No Stranger to Love’ are awesome songs. Are they awesome “Black Sabbath songs”? I don’t know. But I like them.

I think this sums it up.  As a Sabbath record, it fails, but for a general record around that era, it's like anything else out there and is solid.  First two songs are great, Danger Zone is excellent too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1245 on: October 23, 2023, 07:17:40 PM »
Yep. It was supposed to be Tony's first solo record. Sharon's Dad and the label forced him to change the name to sell more copies.

Who the fark is Sharon's Dad?  I know, I could look it up.

Online Trav86

« Reply #1246 on: October 23, 2023, 07:21:26 PM »

Who the fark is Sharon's Dad?  I know, I could look it up.

He was Black Sabbath/Ozzy’s manager.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1247 on: October 23, 2023, 09:11:12 PM »
Disgusting.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #1248 on: December 08, 2023, 11:06:45 PM »
For anyone interested I've also done a "Ranking every Black Sabbath" album video.  Has the same crappy production techniques as my Dream Theater version but, hey, that just shows I'm genuine! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzSWIUkAP9g&t=57s&ab_channel=TheRock%26RollSoapBox

Again, the cribnotes version for those unable or unwilling to go down a one hour video rabbit hole:

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1249 on: January 01, 2024, 01:00:23 AM »
Iommi has confirmed via his social media that the Tony Martin box set is finally coming out in May this year  :biggrin:

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1250 on: January 01, 2024, 01:18:22 AM »
Iommi has confirmed via his social media that the Tony Martin box set is finally coming out in May this year  :biggrin:

Awesome \m/

Couldn't believe my luck and actually grabbed a near mint copy of TYR on LP a few weeks ago for absolute dirt cheap  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1251 on: January 01, 2024, 02:46:00 AM »
That ranking above is pretty impressive.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: January 01, 2024, 03:31:17 AM »

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1253 on: January 01, 2024, 07:24:16 AM »
Yeah sounds like the legal stuff was more annoying to settle than anticipated. Glad to see it's finally coming though. Can't wait to hear the Forbidden remix.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1254 on: January 01, 2024, 10:47:28 AM »
Well, I'd call that a happy new year.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1255 on: January 02, 2024, 06:35:51 AM »
Agreed.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1256 on: March 22, 2024, 08:31:05 AM »
They announced the Tony Martin set yesterday.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/black-sabbath-box-set-of-tony-martin-era-recordings-anno-domini-1989-1995-to-arrive-in-may

Looks cool. I just pre-ordered on Amazon. Excited for it. TAC made me copies of a couple of the records, but it'll be nice to have the actual albums in my collection. Glad they have not forgotten about this underrated era of Sabbath.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1257 on: March 22, 2024, 08:35:34 AM »
I can't wait to hear the remix of Forbidden.  I'm one of the few that actually enjoys a good chunk of that album. 

Remasters of Headless Cross and TYR and Cross Purposes will be nice to have too.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1258 on: March 22, 2024, 08:39:26 AM »
I don't know if this was already discussed, but why was The Eternal idol excluded from the set? That's kind of odd that one of the five albums Tony Martin released with the band isn't in the box.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1259 on: March 22, 2024, 08:45:40 AM »
I don't know if this was already discussed, but why was The Eternal idol excluded from the set? That's kind of odd that one of the five albums Tony Martin released with the band isn't in the box.

Might have been a label thing, but I also know it got a Deluxe reissue a few years ago. I own that so I am not mad it is missing. Pre-ordering soon.