Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 142919 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #1190 on: October 18, 2023, 08:41:56 AM »
Sorry for de bump, but it seems like Tony Iommi and Tony Martin had a meeting about something. It could very well be related to the I.R.S. reissues.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tony_iommi_and_ex-black_sabbath_singer_tony_martin_had_a_meeting_about_something.html

I wonder if they'll tour in support of the reissues. They have to look at the gobs of money that is being paid and drool.

If they did, they would have to go out as "Headless Cross" or some other name, like what they did with Heaven and Hell.  Sharon and Ozzy settled with Tony Iommi for some of the ownership of the Black Sabbath name. 

I really enjoyed Tony Martin's solo album that came out a few years ago - it would be cool to see him front Sabbath again. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1191 on: October 18, 2023, 02:03:40 PM »
Sorry for de bump, but it seems like Tony Iommi and Tony Martin had a meeting about something. It could very well be related to the I.R.S. reissues.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tony_iommi_and_ex-black_sabbath_singer_tony_martin_had_a_meeting_about_something.html

Don't be sorry; I'm actively anticipating that rumored box set.   I love the Martin era, and I saw it twice live.  I got to see the Cross Purposes tour, with Motorhead opening and the Forbidden tour, also with Motorhead opening, in a small 1,200 seat (well, it was standing) club.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: October 18, 2023, 02:05:29 PM »
I too am eagerly awaiting something......
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1193 on: October 18, 2023, 02:16:13 PM »

Don't be sorry; I'm actively anticipating that rumored box set.   I love the Martin era, and I saw it twice live.  I got to see the Cross Purposes tour, with Motorhead opening and the Forbidden tour, also with Motorhead opening, in a small 1,200 seat (well, it was standing) club.

I remember those tours. I completely thumbed my nose at the whole thing, calling it Black Sabbath and trying to take my money. Fuck that! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: October 18, 2023, 02:22:47 PM »

I remember those tours. I completely thumbed my nose at the whole thing, calling it Black Sabbath and trying to take my money. Fuck that! :lol

Haha, it was good though.  Cross Purposes was Geezer and Iommi and Bobby Rondinelli, and it ROCKED. SO good.   The Forbidden tour was Cozy Powell, Neil Murray and Iommi, and it was pretty good; Martin was sick, though, and you could tell.  Plus I was about 10 feet from Lemmy both nights.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1195 on: October 18, 2023, 02:24:45 PM »
Yeah, I really regret not going, or even buying the albums. I bought Seventh Star and swore I wouldn't be duped again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1196 on: October 18, 2023, 02:25:17 PM »
additionally there was a recent 25th anniversary expanded edition release for Reunion if anyone was interested in that
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1197 on: October 18, 2023, 02:28:29 PM »
additionally there was a recent 25th anniversary expanded edition release for Reunion if anyone was interested in that

What was expanded about it?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1198 on: October 18, 2023, 02:30:14 PM »
Out of curiosity, why the interest in these re-issues? I love these albums as much as the next guy--Eternal Idol through Tyr are god tier stuff. I don't see any reason to switch versions, though. And for my ears the originals are likely to sound much better. In me experience remasters mostly just sound louder and a bit punchier on modern, digital equipment. That's not to say bad or anything, the Priest remasters were actually pretty good, but I think I'd still go for the older versions, myself.

Is there some other angle I'm overlooking?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1199 on: October 18, 2023, 02:31:47 PM »
not entirely sure, that's just what the release is called on streaming, lol

looks like two studio songs were included from the time period? and remixes of them or something?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1200 on: October 18, 2023, 02:34:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, why the interest in these re-issues? I love these albums as much as the next guy--Eternal Idol through Tyr are god tier stuff. I don't see any reason to switch versions, though. And for my ears the originals are likely to sound much better. In me experience remasters mostly just sound louder and a bit punchier on modern, digital equipment. That's not to say bad or anything, the Priest remasters were actually pretty good, but I think I'd still go for the older versions, myself.

For me, I actually only own the CD proper of Eternal Idol. I do have digital versions of the rest. I'd be interested in the package though, the booklet and liner notes and shit.

I'm not generally a reissue kind of guy, and I'll consider the price, but if it's reasonable, I do plan on getting it.

Also, I'm not one that romanticizes about the Tony Martin Era either.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: October 18, 2023, 03:14:15 PM »
"romanticizes"??.........The Tony Martin era is great stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: October 18, 2023, 05:48:32 PM »

You make a good point.  I have the originals and they are great but foe me, the Martin era us so important to me that it would just feel wrong not getting any reissues that are brought out.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1203 on: October 18, 2023, 06:10:32 PM »
I would absolutely get the reissue of Headless Cross because, well, I don't have it at all  :)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1204 on: October 18, 2023, 09:33:53 PM »

Iommi confirmed some time ago that he finished remixing Forbidden, which I would LOVE to hear.  That title track is so heavy and I'd love to hear it with a big, fat, clear mix.  I think that's the big draw to this rumored box set, other than the fact that the physical albums have been out of print forever. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1205 on: October 19, 2023, 01:09:06 AM »

I wonder if they'll tour in support of the reissues. They have to look at the gobs of money that is being paid and drool.

If they did, they would have to go out as "Headless Cross" or some other name, like what they did with Heaven and Hell.  Sharon and Ozzy settled with Tony Iommi for some of the ownership of the Black Sabbath name. 

I believe that when "Heaven and Hell" came to be, it was their own decision to go like that. They avoided headaches from the Ozzy camp, and they were free from the obligation to play Paranoid and Iron Man. With the Heaven and Hell monicker, you knew what you were getting, Dio songs. If you go out billed as Black Sabbath, peple want to hear Ozzy songs also.

The settlement for the ownership of the name, if it indeed happened, must have occoured in 2011 with the proper "reunion" for the 13 album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: October 19, 2023, 04:37:49 AM »

Iommi confirmed some time ago that he finished remixing Forbidden, which I would LOVE to hear.  That title track is so heavy and I'd love to hear it with a big, fat, clear mix.  I think that's the big draw to this rumored box set, other than the fact that the physical albums have been out of print forever.

Yep, that song is unreal.  Pretty sure it's the lowest tuned Sabbath song too in C Standard......from memory.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1207 on: October 19, 2023, 04:57:15 AM »

The settlement for the ownership of the name, if it indeed happened, must have occoured in 2011 with the proper "reunion" for the 13 album.

I think it was done about the time of the 1997 Reunion.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1208 on: October 19, 2023, 06:32:17 AM »
I believe that when "Heaven and Hell" came to be, it was their own decision to go like that. They avoided headaches from the Ozzy camp, and they were free from the obligation to play Paranoid and Iron Man. With the Heaven and Hell monicker, you knew what you were getting, Dio songs. If you go out billed as Black Sabbath, peple want to hear Ozzy songs also.

That's all correct.  The Tony/Ozzy settlement was either 100% financial, or Tony had to give up a little control over the name to appease Ozzy and Sharon.  She was really big on saying that "Ozzy IS Black Sabbath" around that time.  So there could be an element where Tony can't use the name without Ozzy and/or Geezer, which is what I suspect.

Either way, he and Tony Marin could always voluntarily use a different name like they did with Heaven and Hell.  I still say that I saw Ronnie front Sabbath, despite it being a separate band.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1209 on: October 19, 2023, 06:49:36 AM »

For me, I actually only own the CD proper of Eternal Idol. I do have digital versions of the rest. I'd be interested in the package though, the booklet and liner notes and shit.

I'm not generally a reissue kind of guy, and I'll consider the price, but if it's reasonable, I do plan on getting it.

Also, I'm not one that romanticizes about the Tony Martin Era either.

I have the Deluxe version of Eternal Isol Lommi released several years ago which included the second disc of original Ray Gillen demos and that whole package, from the remaster the demos and booklet is so well put together.

I wouldn't hesitate to own the entire Martin era in this format if the price is right \m/

2c

« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 02:16:44 PM by WardySI »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1210 on: October 19, 2023, 07:31:47 AM »

That's all correct.  The Tony/Ozzy settlement was either 100% financial, or Tony had to give up a little control over the name to appease Ozzy and Sharon.  She was really big on saying that "Ozzy IS Black Sabbath" around that time.  So there could be an element where Tony can't use the name without Ozzy and/or Geezer, which is what I suspect.

Either way, he and Tony Marin could always voluntarily use a different name like they did with Heaven and Hell.  I still say that I saw Ronnie front Sabbath, despite it being a separate band.

I agree.

I saw Heaven and Hell twice, in 2007 and 2009. On stage there were people who at a time were, all together, members of Black Sabbath, who recorded albums presented as Black Sabbath and in the show they played songs by Black Sabbath. If you ask me if I ever saw Black Sabbath live, I reply "yes, the version with Dio".

In an alternate scenario where the Bruce Dickinson version of Iron Maiden falls apart time and time again, and Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Dennis Stratton, Clive Burr and Paul Di'Anno come together to play songs from the 1980 debut album billed as "Opera Phantoms", that counts as seeing Iron maiden to me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: October 19, 2023, 07:41:33 AM »

You make a good point.  I have the originals and they are great but foe me, the Martin era us so important to me that it would just feel wrong not getting any reissues that are brought out.

Well, for me, there's the unreleased - well, they were released in Japan - songs and b-sides.   The other, non-Ozzy deluxe versions were generally pretty good with additional material; live stuff, and what not.  There was a live release (Cross Purposes Live) that was done, and the CD and the VHS were not identical; it would be nice to get a DVD of the show (it's got more songs than the CD).

And not for nothing, I'm with you Bart: remasters generally suck in that they're the same thing, just louder.  BUT... there are a batch of remasters from the Ozzy years that are NOTICEABLY better. Cleaner, and not just "louder" per se, but more depth.  The Martin years generally sound good (I think all but Forbidden are produced by Iommi, with help from Cozy) but if they get treated the same way as the Ozzy years, a little clarity wouldn't hurt anyone.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: October 19, 2023, 11:10:56 AM »
Just listening to "The Shining".  What an awesome song  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: October 20, 2023, 04:28:45 AM »

One cannot argue with this post.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1214 on: October 20, 2023, 04:42:58 AM »

:metal

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: October 20, 2023, 02:35:33 PM »

That song popped up on my Spotify "Discover Weekly" list a while back, and I loved it instantly.  Other than that and Headless Cross, I haven't heard any of the Martin-era Sabbath.  That's really something I need to rectify.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1216 on: October 20, 2023, 03:02:38 PM »

That song popped up on my Spotify "Discover Weekly" list a while back, and I loved it instantly.  Other than that and Headless Cross, I haven't heard any of the Martin-era Sabbath.  That's really something I need to rectify.

I did that a long time ago after hearing The Shining.  I finally found some of the Martin records and fell in love with them, just as I did with the Dio albums 20 years ago.  There's definitely plenty of great songs from Tony Martin's time as the frontman.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1217 on: October 20, 2023, 03:22:52 PM »
Love The Shining, great tune! Am I in the minority that likes the Seventh Star album?

Online nick_z

« Reply #1218 on: October 20, 2023, 03:34:25 PM »
I wouldn't say it's among my favorites, but I do like it...

One thing I never quite understood is the "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi" thing...I mean, I get that for a while this was supposed to be a Iommi solo record, but then there were pressures to release it as "Black Sabbath". Once that was decided, though, what was the point of adding "Featuring Tony Iommi"?? :biggrin: He was the ONE permanent fixture of the band the whole time! Of course it was going to "feature" him...??

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: October 20, 2023, 03:59:44 PM »
I really like Seventh Star, Danger Zone is fantastic.  With the Martin era, I think The Shining and Headless Cross are the two standouts, but always thought Black Moon and The Lawmaker were two underrated gems.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1220 on: October 20, 2023, 04:02:05 PM »
I listened to Seventh Star a couple of months ago, and it fucking blows monkey chunks.
The fact that they called it Black Sabbath, and that it sucked so fucking bad, totally turned me off to the Tony Martin Era and caused me to completely ignore it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1221 on: October 20, 2023, 04:49:41 PM »
I listened to Seventh Star a couple of months ago, and it fucking blows monkey chunks.
The fact that they called it Black Sabbath, and that it sucked so fucking bad, totally turned me off to the Tony Martin Era and caused me to completely ignore it.

I can only vaguely remember hearing Danger Zone and thinking it sucked, so I ignored Seventh Star (after seeing and scoffing at the cover with the "Black Sabbath" name on what was obviously a Tony Iommi solo album).  When I heard The Shining the next year, it was so good that I went out and bought The Eternal Idol, but the rest of the album didn't hold up.  Sabbath was dead to me at that point until Dehumanizer came out in '92.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1222 on: October 20, 2023, 04:52:53 PM »
I wouldn't say it's among my favorites, but I do like it...

One thing I never quite understood is the "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi" thing...I mean, I get that for a while this was supposed to be a Iommi solo record, but then there were pressures to release it as "Black Sabbath". Once that was decided, though, what was the point of adding "Featuring Tony Iommi"?? :biggrin: He was the ONE permanent fixture of the band the whole time! Of course it was going to "feature" him...??

Now that you point it out it kinda feels weird  ;D

My guesses:

- Compromise. Iommi wanted it labeled as a Tony Iommi album. The label wanted Black Sabbath. They met halfway to distinguish it somehow from other Sabbath albums.
- Recognition. Let's remember that the band was basically dead at the time. When Ian Gillian left, the band tried to go on with a couple of singers and then folded. The name was a way of saying "so, Black Sabbath is back and in case you wonder if any of the original guys is there, well, it's Iommi".

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: October 20, 2023, 04:57:30 PM »
80's Black Sabbath is such an interesting era.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: October 20, 2023, 05:47:16 PM »
I fucking hated SS when I first heard it.  I was so confused.  I must say though, over time, it's not all that bad in my eyes.