Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 142816 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #1155 on: November 07, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »
Over And Over is indeed a great outro solo, but I've never considered Iommi a great soloist. He's a much better rhythm player IMO.

He was one of my earliest influences.  He's not technically a great soloist but something always resonated with me in terms of his guitar solos.  However, I didn't take to much of his soloing outside the Martin era to be honest.  Over and Over and Lonely are exceptions but to rattle off a few songs of his that made me a mega fan;

Born to Lose
Glory Ride
Ancient Warrior
Kill in the Spirit World
Jerusalem
Immaculate Deception
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
Devil and Daughter

So many tasty solos.  Always simple in nature but just melodically pleasing.  I was also shocked and stunned when I found out When Death Calls is actually Brian May.  That would rank as one of my all time fav solos and I'm not even a fan of May or Queen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1156 on: November 08, 2022, 06:55:08 AM »
Also, WHY THE FUCK does the discography section at the Black Sabbath website only cover Ozzy-era stuff?

www.black-sabbath.com is a much more complete, better and fan-run website. 

And the Dio-era is definitely not overrated.  I view the band just like Van Halen.  The original singers (Ozzy, DLR) are absolutely iconic, but not the best singers in the world.  The second singers in each band (Dio, Hagar) have much better, more melodic voices and really opened up the songwriting to new levels.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1157 on: November 08, 2022, 09:44:29 AM »
I love Dio's voice, and the title track from Heaven and Hell, but the rest of the album is largely forgettable for me.  Maybe it's the songwriting.  If Dio did another album with Sabbath, I must never have picked it up because I thought there was only the one.

I love the Heaven And Hell album. The only real dud is Walk Away. It was an early album in my musical discovery and it was very impactful.

Mob Rules was the followup the following year.

LITERALLY my favorite song on the album, but that should surprise NO ONE who reads mine and TACs banter about albums.  :) :) :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: November 08, 2022, 09:50:46 AM »
Calling the first Dio era overrated doesn't resonate with me because I don't know how it's rated.

As far as I'm concerned, Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are the two best Sabbath albums.  For my money, the first eight Sabbath albums have anywhere between 0-4 songs that I really want to listen to.  By contrast, there are no skippers on either H&H or Mob.

My gateway into Sabbath was Ozzy's Speak of the Devil, which I probably bought either shortly before or shortly after Bark at the Moon was released.  I didn't become a fan until after Rhoads had died so it wasn't weird to me like I'm sure it was for some others.  I went back and bought Paranoid, Sabotage and Never Say Die (and maybe also Master of Reality), but the Speak of the Devil versions are still the definitive versions of all those songs.  I guess my point is that, since I didn't really hold any allegiance to the original incarnation of Sabbath, I found myself comparing speak of the Devil against H&H and Mob.  They compare favorably, but the rest of the original Sabbath catalog does not, so, while the best of the original Sabbath catalog compares favorably to the first Dio era, the overall original catalog does not.  And, I generally like Dehumanizer, but I've never hear The Devil You Know or any of the stuff Ozzy did with Sabbath over the last what...15 years?

Also, WHY THE FUCK does the discography section at the Black Sabbath website only cover Ozzy-era stuff?

Well, for me, it was WSOW(FRnR), then Vol. 4, Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath on cassette.  To this day, SBS is probably my favorite Sabbath record and Spiral Architect my favorite Sabbath song.  I'm not saying that Dio-era Sabbath is BAD; Heaven And Hell is all killer and no filler, for sure.  But I think there's more drama and extra-curricular stuff around the Ozzy era that I think has diminished it in the eyes of many.   There seems to be a sort of mystique around the Dio era, and the presumption that he's a way better singer (he is, but that's not relevant) that I don't really get 100%.   

You either like Ozzy's tone or you don't, I get that, but if you listen to the studio tapes from the new Vol. 4 Deluxe Edition, Ozzy CAN sing, and sing pretty well.  They're rehearsing in the studio and he steps up to the mike and even with made up shitty words, it's album quality.  The guy nails it. 

KEV!!!! WE NEED A SABBATH RANKING!  Even if it's just the albums.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1159 on: November 08, 2022, 10:47:21 AM »
Well, for me, it was WSOW(FRnR), then Vol. 4, Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath on cassette.

And I think that makes all the difference in the world.  If you're old enough to have experienced the Ozzy era firsthand or got introduced to that material first, then you're likely to have an entirely different point of view.  We're seeing similar things in the Fates Warning countdown thread with people who got into the band during the John Arch era or shortly after Ray Alder joined, as opposed to newer fans.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1160 on: November 08, 2022, 01:31:12 PM »
I am a huge Ozzy fan and a huge Ozzy Sabbath fan. To me the first 6 Sabbath albums are all pretty much equally awesome, just some amazing stuff and I think Ozzy's voice on these albums is also perfect for the music. Ozzy doesn't seem to have that many fans on here and I sometimes wonder if that is because we all associate him with his more recent antics etc then how amazing he was in his prime. At the end of the day, I also get that his tone can be a bit polarising but it really works for me.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1161 on: November 08, 2022, 01:56:54 PM »
I am a huge Ozzy fan and a huge Ozzy Sabbath fan. To me the first 6 Sabbath albums are all pretty much equally awesome, just some amazing stuff and I think Ozzy's voice on these albums is also perfect for the music. Ozzy doesn't seem to have that many fans on here and I sometimes wonder if that is because we all associate him with his more recent antics etc then how amazing he was in his prime. At the end of the day, I also get that his tone can be a bit polarising but it really works for me.

I love the Ozzy era equally.  There are times where I binge the Dio albums and times where I binge the Ozzy stuff.  Like I noted above, I think they're different in terms of songwriting - Dio really let Iommi open up and write some different stuff and those records have big, soaring vocals. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1162 on: November 08, 2022, 02:01:24 PM »

My songs are already ranked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1163 on: November 08, 2022, 02:02:54 PM »
I loved the original Black Sabbath sound.  Dark and doomy, and Ozzy's voice worked very well with that.  But after Ozzy went solo and was pretty popular for a while, I got really tired of his voice.  Just got tired of the same whiny stuff, because let's face it, he doesn't have great range or even expression.  Then something horrible happened and I realized I had trouble enjoying the original Sabbath albums because of Ozzy.  The music is still great, but then Ozzy starts singing and I realize I just don't want to hear it.

Definitely a first-world problem, but there it is.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1164 on: November 08, 2022, 02:04:52 PM »
Over And Over is indeed a great outro solo, but I've never considered Iommi a great soloist. He's a much better rhythm player IMO.

He was one of my earliest influences.  He's not technically a great soloist but something always resonated with me in terms of his guitar solos.  However, I didn't take to much of his soloing outside the Martin era to be honest.  Over and Over and Lonely are exceptions but to rattle off a few songs of his that made me a mega fan;

Born to Lose
Glory Ride
Ancient Warrior
Kill in the Spirit World
Jerusalem
Immaculate Deception
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
Devil and Daughter

So many tasty solos.  Always simple in nature but just melodically pleasing.  I was also shocked and stunned when I found out When Death Calls is actually Brian May.  That would rank as one of my all time fav solos and I'm not even a fan of May or Queen.
Always loved the Ancient Warrior solo. It's got a wonderful, Gilmouresque quality to it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: November 08, 2022, 03:26:40 PM »
Sabbath ranking?!  Oh yes please!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1166 on: November 08, 2022, 06:48:48 PM »

I could possibly be talked into doing the albums...maybe. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1167 on: November 08, 2022, 06:52:43 PM »

I could possibly be talked into doing the albums...maybe. :P

Well, since the albums have songs, do songs instead.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1168 on: November 08, 2022, 06:53:43 PM »
Nah, that would take too long.  Besides, the backlog of ideas is already getting long, so it's not like this is happening any time soon.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1169 on: November 08, 2022, 06:54:21 PM »
A backlog of ideas? Any good ones?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1170 on: November 08, 2022, 06:56:18 PM »
Top 100 favorite moments on Promised Land is on deck after I finish the favorite singers countdown.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1171 on: November 08, 2022, 07:11:14 PM »
Top 100 favorite moments on Promised Land is on deck after I finish the favorite singers countdown.

:rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1172 on: November 08, 2022, 07:14:20 PM »

I'll be disconnected from that one.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: November 09, 2022, 12:24:09 AM »

I'll be disconnected from that one.

So TAC is out then. Someone Else?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: November 09, 2022, 03:32:40 AM »

I'm sorry could you say that one more time?  100 fav moments?  I will be damaged and totally out of mind if I participated in that one!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1175 on: November 09, 2022, 09:28:26 AM »
I pulled up Heaven and Hell and gave it another spin this morning.  Much better than I remembered!  Solid rock and roll, great riffs, and of course Dio's voice.  I'm on my second spin right now.

I think at the time, it was just too different, too much "not Black Sabbath" (which at the time meant everything up to that point).  The doom and gloom of their original sound was all but gone.  Still heavy, but not all dark and dreary like the early stuff.  Some of it reminds me of Deep Purple.

In 1980 I had already dived headfirst into prog, so "basic" rock and roll wasn't doing it for me.  I remember listening to this album and thinking it was nothing special at all.  No Ozzy, and it's so much lighter that it almost sounds happy, which is not Black Sabbath.  Today, I can look back and appreciate things more for what they are, not dismiss them for what they're not.  Funny how that works.

Sometimes I'm a bit jealous of people who get into classic bands long after the fact, and the thrill you can get when you first encounter something great.  And there's also a perspective you get that obviously isn't possible if you're there as it's unfolding.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1176 on: November 09, 2022, 09:33:48 AM »

1. Damaged
2. I Am I
3. Jack
4-100. Shit
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1177 on: December 29, 2022, 03:35:26 PM »
Good news, I saw Tony Martin reveal in an interview that his albums are coming out in 2023 per contact with Iommi. Today, Iommi celebrated Cozy Powell in a tweet and mentioned he can't wait for the release of the I.R.S. label albums in 2023. Seems like we are very close to getting these finally. Martin mentioned a box set, but who knows. I don't care, I just want to finally have these albums.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: December 29, 2022, 03:37:56 PM »
Good news, I saw Tony Martin reveal in an interview that his albums are coming out in 2023 per contact with Iommi. Today, Iommi celebrated Cozy Powell in a tweet and mentioned he can't wait for the release of the I.R.S. label albums in 2023. Seems like we are very close to getting these finally. Martin mentioned a box set, but who knows. I don't care, I just want to finally have these albums.

If the content is there, I'll happily repurchase these.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1179 on: December 29, 2022, 03:42:37 PM »
I really only have these on digital burned to CD. I did buy a used copy of Eternal Idol. I'd grab a box set of the Marting Era for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: December 29, 2022, 04:48:57 PM »
Yeah, a box set of all the albums would be exceptional.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1181 on: December 31, 2022, 08:10:45 AM »
I've got all of them and will be rebuying, assuming the remastering job is noticeable. I can't imagine it won't be, possibly with the exception of Cross Purposes which probably doesn't need it.

Tony Martin said they can't put any new recordings on as part of the (bullshit) lawsuit ozzy filed several years ago, but anything previously recorded is ok. Hopefully there will be good bonus content.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1182 on: December 31, 2022, 08:42:23 AM »
Finally. I don't own any of these albums physically so I'll be a day one buyer.

Now I know they can't release any new recordings under the sabbath name but it would be cool to get any new material from them. Even if its just a song or two that goes straight to Spotify. Especially if Martin has any more unused Cozy Powell drum tracks like he used for Raising Hell from Scream.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1183 on: December 31, 2022, 12:51:18 PM »
I own all the OG pressing from the Martin era, all by modern standards are very low volume.
Remastering will bring that up, but hopefully not brick walled.
The bonus material I am guessing will be all live stuff with TM, Iommi or his management are reluctant to release demo's (Dehumanizer is a perfect example).

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1184 on: January 01, 2023, 10:52:37 AM »
Looks like we are also getting a new Iommi solo album https://blabbermouth.net/news/black-sabbath-guitarist-tony-iommi-is-getting-ready-to-write-another-album

I can't wait for that as it's been way too long since Fused. Whether it's another one with Glenn or with a bunch of special guests I can't wait.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: January 03, 2023, 08:41:33 AM »
I own all the OG pressing from the Martin era, all by modern standards are very low volume.
The bonus material I am guessing will be all live stuff with TM, Iommi or his management are reluctant to release demo's (Dehumanizer is a perfect example).

There are three or four b-sides and Japanese-only bonus tracks that I am looking forward to.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1186 on: January 03, 2023, 10:50:17 AM »

There are three or four b-sides and Japanese-only bonus tracks that I am looking forward to.

Headless Cross and Tyr, there no Japan bonus tracks, but HC single had 'Cloak and Dagger'.
Cross Purposes has 'What's The Use' and Forbidden adds 'Loser Get's It All'.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: January 03, 2023, 03:30:22 PM »
Loser Gets It All is really the only worthwhile bonus track IMO.  Better than most songs on the album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: October 18, 2023, 08:05:31 AM »
Sorry for de bump, but it seems like Tony Iommi and Tony Martin had a meeting about something. It could very well be related to the I.R.S. reissues.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tony_iommi_and_ex-black_sabbath_singer_tony_martin_had_a_meeting_about_something.html
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1189 on: October 18, 2023, 08:13:40 AM »
Sorry for de bump, but it seems like Tony Iommi and Tony Martin had a meeting about something. It could very well be related to the I.R.S. reissues.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tony_iommi_and_ex-black_sabbath_singer_tony_martin_had_a_meeting_about_something.html

I wonder if they'll tour in support of the reissues. They have to look at the gobs of money that is being paid and drool.