Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 140734 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:31 PM »
Yeah, rock stars used to actually retire when they got old.  Now it seems like they're "expected" to keep playing, keep touring, until they die.  At one time, the dream was to get filthy rich, then retire and live it up.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
That sucks. An album would have been awesome. They should just go with the H&H lineup, but with Ozzy.

Yeah, rock stars used to actually retire when they got old.  Now it seems like they're "expected" to keep playing, keep touring, until they die.  At one time, the dream was to get filthy rich, then retire and live it up.

When and who? :lol
Pretty much any good rockstar in history either died or is still playing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2011, 07:10:59 AM »
I don't really understand this either. Black Sabbath are some of the oldest rockstars. There wasn't too much time to be able to say "used too" before Black Sabbath came around.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2011, 07:33:36 AM »
Black Sabbath are some of the oldest rockstars.

What?  Black Sabbath didn't even release their first album until 1970.

Rock and Roll has been around since the early 60's and traces its roots back to the 50's.  How many of those guys do you remember still touring in the 60's and 70's?  They made some records, then stopped when they weren't "hot" anymore.  The ones who did really well retired, the rest got "real jobs" and were never heard from again.  It wasn't until the 70's when reunion tours became big.  Around the same time, bands figured out that you don't have to officially break up and stop recording at some point; you just take an indefinite hiatus and can always get back together some time in the future.  This most definitely was not the norm prior to the 70's.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »
 :lol

Looks like it has taken another twist:

"After news yesterday that Black Sabbath were reforming, Tony Iommi published a statement which suggested the claims were unfounded. However, Ultimate Guitar can confirm that a Black Sabbath reunion is still a possibility, and that they’ve probably been writing new material for months. The story began when Metal Talk claimed that the band were reforming and were due to begin rehearsals yesterday.  Evidence seemed thin on the ground, but then a Birmingham Mail journalist, Andy Coleman, seemed to confirm the rumour when he quoted a conversation with Iommi from June.

"We’re really looking forward to it and I think the stuff we’ve been writing is really good," Iommi said. "It’s all been very hush-hush."

Today, the Black Sabbath guitarist appeared to quash the story in a statement on his website: "I'm saddened that a Birmingham journalist whom I trusted has chosen this point in time to take a conversation we had back in June and make it sound like we spoke yesterday about a Black Sabbath reunion.  "I hope he's enjoyed his moment of glory, he won't have another at my expense."  As a result, the majority of the music press reported today that the rumours were false. But we couldn’t help but notice that Iommi doesn’t deny the reunion.

Today, the Birmingham Mail confirmed this by posting a conversation with Iommi’s manager, Ralph Baker, which suggests the idea of a Black Sabbath reunion are still alive. It seems Iommi acknowledges that he never denied a reunion, or the statemenets he made in June. "We haven’t got anything in place," said Baker. "He’s not denying that the guys have been talking," before rudely adding "A very insignificant little website [Metal Talk] put something out about Sabbath getting back together and being in the Midlands." Apparantly, Iommi was upset that the Birmingham Mail gave weight to the Metal Talk story. "That’s why Tony’s p----d off, because the story would have died a death."

Speaking to UG, Andy Coleman said he was only confirming the story after the reunion first leaked on Metal Talk, but the Iommi statement had given him a busy day.  Why reveal Iommi’s comments now, and not before? "Once a story is out there, it’s out there," Coleman said.  So the question is, are Back Sabbath reforming? Iommi hasn’t denied it, and even said that the band had written new material. All he said today was that he was disappointed in a journalist for publishing what he felt was an off-record conversation.  So ignore the reports on other metal sites today - Black Sabbath have written new material, and are seriously considering a reformation. Rock on!"

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/black_sabbath_never_denied_reunion_today.html
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Wow, is this getting confusing or what?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
I'll go with: what?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2011, 12:14:07 AM »

What?  Black Sabbath didn't even release their first album until 1970.

Rock and Roll has been around since the early 60's and traces its roots back to the 50's.  How many of those guys do you remember still touring in the 60's and 70's?  They made some records, then stopped when they weren't "hot" anymore.  The ones who did really well retired, the rest got "real jobs" and were never heard from again.  It wasn't until the 70's when reunion tours became big.  Around the same time, bands figured out that you don't have to officially break up and stop recording at some point; you just take an indefinite hiatus and can always get back together some time in the future.  This most definitely was not the norm prior to the 70's.
Yeah, I get what you mean.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2011, 02:51:12 AM »
inb4 Iommi releases another statement denying everything.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2011, 04:27:03 AM »
You know who would be an awesome singer for Sabbath (IMO)? Blaze Bayley. I think his voice would suit Sabbaths music fairly well (not as well as Ozzy did, but I don't think they should try and recreate the Sabbath of old.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »

What?  Black Sabbath didn't even release their first album until 1970.

Rock and Roll has been around since the early 60's and traces its roots back to the 50's.  How many of those guys do you remember still touring in the 60's and 70's?  They made some records, then stopped when they weren't "hot" anymore.  The ones who did really well retired, the rest got "real jobs" and were never heard from again.  It wasn't until the 70's when reunion tours became big.  Around the same time, bands figured out that you don't have to officially break up and stop recording at some point; you just take an indefinite hiatus and can always get back together some time in the future.  This most definitely was not the norm prior to the 70's.
Yeah, I get what you mean.

I guess I still forget that 70's rock has been around longer than many people on this board.  Music really changed a lot in the 80's, and when just about any 70's band released a new album, people went "What? Are they still around?"  I'm not exaggerating.  The MTv generation really thought they'd invented music or something, and anything more than a year old was dead.

When The Doobie Brothers announced their reunion tour in the mid-80's, it was huge, huge news.  They were the first 70's band to actually get back together and go back on the road; no one had done it before.  As I said, prior to then, bands either made a specific decision to keep recording and/or touring, or they broke up with an official announcement.

Eagles had been on hiatus for several years before anyone noticed that they hadn't recorded or toured in a while, but they never announced that they were breaking up.  Again, this was very, very unusual, and when Don Henley finally said something years later in an interview confirming that they'd broken up, people were blown away.  "Wow, that's right! I never heard anything!"

But anyway, things are different now, and I really need to get used to it.  Bands don't break up anymore, or if they do, there's always a chance that they'll reform later anyway, so there's really no point in announcing a breakup.  Anyone can do a solo album, or do a side project, then get back together with their main gig and do an album or tour.  Peter Gabriel stunned the hell out of the rock world in 1975 when he left Genesis.  He wanted to do a solo album, and back then, you were either in a band or you were a solo artist, so left quit the band.  Nowadays, he would've just done his solo album, then gotten back together later to work on the next Genesis album.  It was only a few years later that Phil Collins did exactly that.  He made his first solo album, then Genesis was back in the studio the following year.

/boring history lesson

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
That was interesting, thanks Orbert :)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
Very interested to hear what the new material will sound like.  I haven't been impressed with any Ozzy material after Ozzmosis, so hopefully this reunion will motivate him.  How long will this last? Any predictions.  Also curious as to see what the live set list will be; hopefully more then the usual 10-12 songs.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »
I just heard about it today.  Supposedly Iommi, Ozzy, Ward, and Butler are all on board?  I'll be optimistic.  Cautiously optimistic, but we're not gonna get any better than this.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »
Considering how... 'dilapidated' Ozzy has been, both in studio and live performance, for quite some time, I'm skeptical, but I'll give the album a listen.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »
As long as Iommi's there, something good will happen. The Devil You Know was awesome, and as long as Ozzy doesn't suck royally, I don't see how this could fail.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
Ozzy sucked 6 years ago. Not expecting him to sound any better.

We shall see if Rubin can work his magic and at least muster a decent album out of these guys, but I doubt the live show will be anything to write home about. So long as that puppet is on vocals.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »
Ozzy sucked 6 years ago. Not expecting him to sound any better.

We shall see if Rubin can work his magic and at least muster a decent album out of these guys, but I doubt the live show will be anything to write home about. So long as that puppet is on vocals.

I agree with everything here except that I think he's mostly sucked for 30 years.   (Ok...NMT was a final dying gasp of greatness...but even that IMHO was mostly the work of ghost writers and had very little to do with Ozzy himself.   DoaM was the last time you heard from Ozzy "the artist"...but, that is only my opinion and I have no facts to back it up)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2011, 01:03:26 AM »
I'm looking forward to this :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2011, 03:14:23 AM »
As long as Iommi's there, something good will happen. The Devil You Know was awesome, and as long as Ozzy doesn't suck royally, I don't see how this could fail.

This. I think Ozzy's sounded just fine on records until Black Rain. On the last two it's basically sounded like "Weekend at Ozzy's", but still passable. He's obviously got nothing on Dio, but as long as they can get a tune out of him in the studio, this could be great. Live I have no expectations for Ozzy (I saw him a few years ago), but I would go and see that in a heartbeat.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2011, 04:27:24 AM »
I hope they don't charge too much on the tour... if they come to Perth I'm going for sure.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2011, 04:49:39 AM »
World tour - OMG  :hefdaddy  :metal  :omg:  :metal  :hefdaddy  :tup  :metal

New album - OK, we'll see...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2011, 06:16:57 AM »
A reunion album would be great with the original lineup.   :metal

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2011, 11:29:03 AM »
Definitely excited for the album and tour. Hopefully they come close to Toronto!

Offline Knights

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
They are officialy headlining the Sunday night of the Download Festival in England next year  :) I know where my money will be going :metal

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
I know where my money will be going :metal

To Sharon?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Knights

« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2011, 03:50:49 PM »
I know where my money will be going :metal

To Sharon?

If It will make sure that Ozzy is there, then yes

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2011, 03:13:37 AM »
This could go either way, although the money in it for them would be incredible.  I just wish ithe news would stop saying "first studio album in 33 years."  Well, yes for this lineup but, it's technically the first Sabbath album in 16 years.  let's not forgot the two studio tracks they did on the runion album.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2011, 03:26:02 AM »
I count The Devil You Know as a Sabbath album too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2011, 03:33:35 AM »
I count The Devil You Know as a Sabbath album too.

It very well could have the name Black Sabbath.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2011, 05:58:27 AM »
Its cool original Sabbath is back, but unfortunately when people like Ozzy and Gene Simmons do ridiculous reality shows it turns them into cartoon characters for me. I can't take Ozzy serious anymore. I just doubt he has much left as a performer. I will be interested to see if they can put out a decent album.
Its hard to get that excited about a ancient artifact (Ozzy)being reanimated for money sake.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:29:13 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2011, 06:10:32 AM »
I'm reading all this thinking it's really a shame that Dio did not outlive Ozzy.

This news only leaves me with skepticism. The two songs I've heard from Ozzy's last album were terrible. He sounded so technically propped up, it was like it wasn't even his voice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2011, 02:34:48 AM »
Coincidentally (?) I just saw a short programme on the making of 'Paranoid'. Awesome. 
Sabbath's always been a bit in the fringes/periphery of my interest, but I'd go see the original lineup when they came near me.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »
All I've been listening to has been Sabbath lately, which makes me wonder, best Ozzy-era album? I vote for Master Of Reality.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
Probably Paranoid, but theyare all great.