Author Topic: Biffy Clyro  (Read 10425 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Biffy Clyro
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2014, 02:51:43 PM »
If you're saying Opposites doesn't have any standout tracks you're nuts. Different People, Black Chandelier, Accident Without Emergency, Spanish Radio, Pocket-- all really good songs.

There's loads of fantastic songs on it. Sounds Like Balloons.... Stingin' Belle...Victory Over The Sun...

Think Spanish Radio might be THE best song though. It's hauntingly gorgeous.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
I still really like Opposites, top notch stuff!

Has anyone else got/heard Similarities yet? It's not bad, has a few very good songs, but some you can tell are leftovers.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2014, 10:51:22 PM »
I haven't listened to all of it but from what I listened to, you're definitely right-- some definite b-sides, but some really good cuts mixed in.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2014, 02:12:03 AM »
I know Mike Vennart posted that he liked it, I haven't gotten around to hearing it yet though. I really liked Opposites though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2015, 03:15:56 AM »
Been listening to a lot of Biffy recently. Mostly the most recent three albums.

I "inherited" them on CD since bro doesn't have any need for them once he imports them and I still like having a CD collection.

Opposites is a fantastic album and Only Revolutions is actually better than I remember.

I first got into the band in 2004 and just bought their 2004 album on CD.

Garth Richardson is a great producer it must be said.

I remember being interested in them back then coz 1. that's all my bro would listen to and 2. Infinity Land was produced by Chris Sheldon - who was the producer on

Therapy?'s Troublegum - which is one of my all time favourite albums.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2018, 09:51:48 PM »
bump.

They have a new album coming out titled "Balance, Not Symmetry" which is the title of a film they just made in Scotland. The soundtrack is coming out of course as well.

https://www.rocksound.tv/news/read/biffy-clyro-balance-not-symmetry-film-casting-fans-extras

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2019, 04:04:23 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9XR15E4vZw

New single is straight fire! A lot rougher than the last two albums  :metal
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2019, 04:38:20 AM »
Yeah it's a short song but absolutely cracking!

Interesting that this is a soundtrack album, I wonder if it'll be different structurally (e.g. lots of incidental music etc) or simply a collection of songs like their normal albums.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2019, 02:33:15 AM »
Totally hadn't realised that the soundtrack album came out.

It's really good! Very varied stylistically, from some very poppy stuff to some stuff that's crunchier than anything they've done for a while.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
Man, this new album has come along and made me want to dive back into Biffy again. I had a girlfriend who was pretty much in love with them about 10 years ago. I was never into them as much as she was but I always liked certain songs and checked out all their new releases. Glad I checked this new one out as I almost didn't. Definitely going to go on a Biffy binge though now  :metal

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2021, 05:25:31 PM »
bump.

anyone else check out their new record "The Myth of the Happily Ever After"?

https://open.spotify.com/album/79TV8acvMeGKGbsBUKvwCI

I'm pretty surprised how good it is at times, mainly because their last few records have been pretty forgettable for me, but while I haven't heard this new one that many times, I already feel I like it more than anything since Opposites.

So if you are one of those fans like me, that kind of jumped ship over the last few years, you may want to checkout this new album of theirs.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2021, 11:50:33 AM »
bump.

anyone else check out their new record "The Myth of the Happily Ever After"?

https://open.spotify.com/album/79TV8acvMeGKGbsBUKvwCI

I'm pretty surprised how good it is at times, mainly because their last few records have been pretty forgettable for me, but while I haven't heard this new one that many times, I already feel I like it more than anything since Opposites.

So if you are one of those fans like me, that kind of jumped ship over the last few years, you may want to checkout this new album of theirs.

I'll check this out. I wasn't aware they had a new one coming out.

Puzzle is my favorite Biffy Clyro, I always thought that's where they struck just the right balance between catchy and quirky. It was actually one of my favorites the year it came out, fantastic stuff. The earlier albums are a bit much sometimes. Loved Only Revolutions too, and thought Opposites was very good. The couple of albums after that didn't grab me, although to be fair I didn't spend a whole lot of time with them. Curious to hear what they came up with this time!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
I enjoyed the last album but haven't checked out the new one yet.

But they both sound better than Ellipsis - which was really disappointing to me.

My bro loves the first 3 albums the most. I love the middle 3. I think Opposites is their masterpiece and

a double album where the second half isn't all padding.

Puzzle is really good too.

I'm not the hugest fan of the first 3 albums despite them being made by one of my favourite producers - Chris Sheldon.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2021, 03:11:41 PM »
I have it on order, but the US release date of the physical is like early December. I could order the import for twice the price, but I don't think so. I just have to wait.

Infinity Land is my favorite album. The Opposites/Similarities combo is just excellent as well. Pretty much give me anything from Vertigo -> Opposites.

I only discovered these guys last year so they are still pretty new to me. I still regularly listen to them. Just a fantastic band.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »
Opposites has some stunning songs.

Most notably " Sounds Like Balloons " with it's gigantic anthemic chorus - and " Spanish Radio " - which is GORGEOUS.

Also " Little Hospitals " is catchy as hell. They've released a LOT of music in the last 7 years too.

Opposites, Similarities, Ellipsis, Balance - Not Symmetry, A Celebration Of Endings & The Myth of The Happily Ever After.

6 albums in 7 years - once of which is a double album.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
Myth is finally arriving today. It could have an impact on my Top 5 of 2021, but we'll see. I have only heard one song so far (Unknown Male) and I thought it had some old-school Biff in it.

Looking forward to finally having this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2022, 05:12:28 PM »
New documentary on Amazon Prime: "Cultural Sons of Scotland"
https://www.amazon.com/Biffy-Clyro-Cultural-Sons-Scotland/dp/B09T2ZWZNB

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2022, 08:38:35 PM »
Watched the doc last weekend. Pretty cool how they recorded Myth. I will say, Myth is the best thing they have done in some time. I really love it, much more than Celebration. Many nods to the older records along with just some great music.

I cannot wait to see them next month. Have not looked forward to a show like this in quite some time.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2023, 11:10:11 AM »
Empire State Bastard - Rivers of Heresy

debut album coming on September 1st.

Simon Neil and Mike Vennart of Biffy Clyro's new project
https://esb.lnk.to/RiversOfHeresy?eml=2023May31/6081074/6120644&etsubid=6067589

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2023, 07:15:35 PM »
Opposites is amazing. Listening to "Biblical" now.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2023, 08:18:32 PM »
Opposites is amazing. Listening to "Biblical" now.

Funny, I had a hankering to listen to some Biffy last night. Did a few from Myth, dropped all the way back to Vertigo and finished up with some stuff from Revolutions.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2023, 08:26:29 PM »
I absolutely love the Puzzle - Only Revolutions - Opposites run. So many great songs in there...catchy, clever, moving...often all at once. Subsequent albums haven't wowed me as much, but I need to revisit.