Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216498 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who & Torchwood: Miracle Day
« Reply #945 on: July 17, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »
Well, he's right inasmuch as when it's dark it's dark, but it's also deceptively fun. People tend to remember the dark bits as they're the most affecting, but honestly - it's a big ol' action adventure with great jokes and a thrilling storyline. It's also got some very bleak moments, some very gross moments, and a lot of moral ambiguity - but that's kind of its appeal. Lots of things at once.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: July 17, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
Watching Now.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #947 on: July 17, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: July 18, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »
It was alright ! Dunno if i'll be able to watch the whole series. Was hoping it would be one 50 minute story. :(

We'll see.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #949 on: July 18, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »
Ah - you'd want series 1 and 2 for the one-off stories. Although series 1 is kinda dodgy.

Definitely keep watching - or at least try out Children of Earth, which is a five-episode-story but a damn good one - but tbh, as much as I do like Torchwood, it's kind of eclipsed by Doctor Who. Still! Two great programmes on the box are better than one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: July 19, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »
I did like Tennant. But I thought Matt Smith's first episode - the city on the back of a whale was dreadful ! Really bad first episode for a new Doctor and really clumsy writing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #951 on: July 19, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
I did like Tennant. But I thought Matt Smith's first episode - the city on the back of a whale was dreadful ! Really bad first episode for a new Doctor and really clumsy writing.
Ahhhh - that's his second! (And it was hit by about fifteen minutes of cuts, plus a seldom-available Liz Ten if that helps explain it?) His first is The Eleventh Hour, which is one of the very best Doctor Who episodes. Would recommend tracking it down.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: July 19, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
I did like David Tennant - even though he only had the one facial expression :  :omg:

:biggrin:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: July 19, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
I did like David Tennant - even though he only had the one facial expression :  :omg:

:biggrin:

Speaking of Tennant, I watched the BBC version of Hamlet starring him and Patrick Stewart.  It was really, REALLY good.  Tennant was really good at making the Shakespearean language flow naturally as if he were talking plain english. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #954 on: July 19, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »
That BBC version is brilliant! I wish I'd got to see it on stage, but at least we have the BBC version.

Aranka, The Long Game and Father's Day are fantastic, some of my favourites from that series!

And finally, really enjoyed the first Torchwood episode of the new series! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #955 on: July 19, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
That BBC version is brilliant! I wish I'd got to see it on stage, but at least we have the BBC version.

Aranka, The Long Game and Father's Day are fantastic, some of my favourites from that series!

And finally, really enjoyed the first Torchwood episode of the new series! :tup
Ack! I didn't notice she'd updated!

Aliens of London and World War Three are generally iffy. There's some nice thematic stuff there - I love the bit where Rose returns to Earth a year too late, and the Space Pig's a lot of fun - but it's not top drawer Who. It was, however, the first story filmed, and the director wasn't asked back, so you know! Onwards and upwards.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #956 on: July 19, 2011, 02:18:35 PM »
Out of curiosity, since, (as some of you might have observed in the earlier pages of the thread) I burned through every one of the currently available Doctor Who episodes at an absurdly fast pace, would this Torchwood show that I just became aware of after reading the last few posts be the next thing for me to absorb?  I am aware that there are numerous spin-offs of the show and I was curious as to whether or not it would be the next best place for me to get my Doctor Who fix when I've run through the real thing itself in its entirety.  I was considering the earlier Doctor Who episodes, but after sampling a bit of them here and there I decided that either my growing up in the 21st century has rendered me with less of an appreciation for a "retro" sci-fy feel or they are a hell of a lot lower in quality than the reboot. 

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #957 on: July 19, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
Torchwood's definatley worth a watch, not as good as DW, but considering DW is my favourite programme of all time, that's to be expected. :lol

I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #958 on: July 19, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
In terms of production values, Classic Who is WAY WAY WAY below par from New Who. Some of the writing and acting is really cool, but even I get a bit tired of it after a while, so if you're not digging it then I'd say don't bother.

Torchwood is worth checking out though. Here's my basic synopsis:

Series 1: First episode was good fun. Next few were utter cack. Series gradually picks up and is actually pretty decent by the end.
Series 2: Right from the opening episode it was obvious that this series was better. It's fun and has some swagger to it. The series is good all the way through, and doesn't take itself too seriously. Very enjoyable.
Series 3 (Children of Earth): This is where it really becomes its own show. It's a 5-part mini-series, and it's much more series that the first two, but also really well-written and very nicely made. Genuinely excellent series.
Series 4 (Miracle Day): Has just started. It's been co-produced between the BBC and American network Starz, so it's largely set in the US and has a big American cast. Have only seen one episode so far but really enjoyed it.

So yeah, I'd say start watching it but stick it out through the crap to get to the good stuff. And I guess you could skip the crap, but to be honest it's better to follow the characters, and the good stuff is better when it has more impact as a result.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #959 on: July 19, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »
Out of curiosity, since, (as some of you might have observed in the earlier pages of the thread) I burned through every one of the currently available Doctor Who episodes at an absurdly fast pace, would this Torchwood show that I just became aware of after reading the last few posts be the next thing for me to absorb?  I am aware that there are numerous spin-offs of the show and I was curious as to whether or not it would be the next best place for me to get my Doctor Who fix when I've run through the real thing itself in its entirety.  I was considering the earlier Doctor Who episodes, but after sampling a bit of them here and there I decided that either my growing up in the 21st century has rendered me with less of an appreciation for a "retro" sci-fy feel or they are a hell of a lot lower in quality than the reboot. 
Yeah, I don't get on with classic Doctor Who much either. I kinda liked Carnival of Monsters, but I watched The Caves of Androzani, which is considered by the proper fans to be the best story in any Doctor Who ever, and I just couldn't get to grips with it. Not much more luck with The Masque of Mandragora, nor Earthshock... The Web Planet was lovely, in the way that watching the Clangers is lovely, but yeah. Not my thing.

Torchwood's a baby of the modern house style, but it's a sort of "darker and edgier" spin-off. Centres around a policewoman called Gwen Cooper, recruited to the Torchwood team, who investigate alien activity in Cardiff. Captain Jack Harkness, Suzie Costello, Owen Harper, Toshiko Sato, and Ianto Jones, drifting around the city in search of suburban alien technology.

Series 1 was perfectly good fun in places, but really quite embarrassing in others. There are fantastic episodes in there (Everything Changes, They Keep Killing Suzie, Greeks Bearing Gifts, etc.), but also some really poor ones. Series 2 was a lot better, and had a real sense of identity. Left out the OTT gore and sex, which all looked very teenage in series 1, and was a silly, classy monster-of-the-week scifi that trod the ground that Doctor Who couldn't. Really nifty show, but thoroughly disposable.

Series 3, however, is where it properly picks up. It evolves from a fun romp into intelligent, psychological, piercing contemporary drama, with a chillingly realistic backdrop - and plenty of fun bits to boot. A five-part story that scrutinises the foundations our societies are built on.

With aliens.

You can start from S3, S2 or S1, depending on what you reckon you can stomach. I think S3 is the best by miles, so I'm tempted to tell you to skip straight ahead to it, but it does kind of hint at how S2 ends. On the other hand, you've already seen an episode of Doctor Who that hints at how S2 ends, so screw it! S3 is a perfectly good place to start.

Incidentally, if you wanted to try a sort of S1 sampler, rather than wade all the way through the admittedly-kinda-patchy series, you could do worse than, say...

1. Everything Changes (E1)
2. Ghost Machine (E3)
3. Greeks Bearing Gifts (E7)
4. They Keep Killing Suzie (E8)

...and then straight onto series 2. (I'm sure there were a couple of other cool episodes, I just can't remember for the life of me which they were!) In fact, I'd say that even if you do choose to begin with S2, it's worth watching S1E1 anyway.

There's good stuff in all of the series, but S1 is patchy with shades of genius, S2 is all-out comic book fun, and S3 is an absolute rollercoaster of the kind of impeccably plotted drama that the world needs more of.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #960 on: July 19, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
Considering the speed with which Seth got through Doctor Who, I'm sure he has time to watch all the episodes, so I say just do that!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #961 on: July 19, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
The way that you've all put it strongly inclines me to begin with series 3.  If series 2 is mostly disposable comic book fun, as it was described, anything short of an absolute spoiler of a "hint" from series 3 as to how series 2 plays out probably won't bother me terribly.  So it looks like I'll be giving 3 a go!

Edit @Rich:  Ooops, missed that bit.  I'm not too much of a nitpicker as far as seeing things in order, though, and I'm sure I will have it all finished in time! 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #962 on: July 19, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
Eh, some of the crucial character story in series 3 won't have the same impact, but whatever. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #963 on: July 19, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »
Agreed, but I do think series 3 will give the best impression. It's the grow-the-beard moment. And the spoilers, in fairness, are quite significant in the context of the show, but don't spoil anything that Doctor Who hasn't already spoiled, so they're 100% neutralised. Not to mention that series 3 is written, again, as a new start. RTD is very clever at writing television that appeals as much to the new viewer as it does to the old, and he understands that it's crucial at the start of any series, so Day One is just as good a starting place as, er, Everything Changes. (Which, confusingly, is followed immediately by a completely different episode called Day One.)

I'd say, if you know how good the show gets, that'll give you more inclination to march on through the doldrums of series 1 and hence enable you to enjoy it at its best, so if you think series 3 sounds like the best place to start, it's the best place to start.

Plus! I think I'm going to rewatch Torchwood 3 for the first time ever, so you'll be in good company. Lots of people doing it!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #964 on: July 19, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
I'm personally not so bothered about the spoilers; as you say they're pretty much given away in Doctor Who (I'd already watched all of DW when going through Torchwood, so experienced that first hand). I just think the emotional impact of certain events in series 3 won't be the same if you haven't been following the characters the whole way. If that makes sense.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #965 on: July 19, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
Yeah! That's a fair shout. I think, strangely, the... er, y'know? They're cumbersome and irritating, but I can't think of a clever way to say this without spoiling it, so tiny-font-tags ahoy...

I think, strangely, the loss of the hub is the one thing that's going to have its impact drained. Which is a shame, 'cause it's a lovely hub!

I know so many people who absolutely loathed S1&2, to the point of switching off halfway through each one of them, and loved S3 though, so I don't think it makes too much difference. A couple of details won't have as much impact, and that is a shame, but S3's not only the less risky option, but I think it leaves one hell of a fantastic first impression. It's a bit like how I tend to recommend The Eleventh Hour as a starting point for DW. It's nice to go from the beginning, and you might get a little more out of a couple of bits, but I get more excited about starting from what I consider to be the most bracing entry point. I guess maybe I focus a lot on first impressions.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #966 on: July 19, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
Definitely agreed with your small text. And that certain other event as well.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. I guess I'm just too geeky and always want to experience things properly, whereas you're right that someone with a more casual interest might just stop bothering.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: July 19, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »
Yeah, I don't get on with classic Doctor Who much either. I kinda liked Carnival of Monsters, but I watched The Caves of Androzani, which is considered by the proper fans to be the best story in any Doctor Who ever, and I just couldn't get to grips with it. Not much more luck with The Masque of Mandragora, nor Earthshock... The Web Planet was lovely, in the way that watching the Clangers is lovely, but yeah. Not my thing.

I watched "The Three Doctors" and enjoyed it much more than any other Classic Who I've struggled to watch.  It was the only classic story where it didn't feel like I was doing a chore.  I'll check out the Caves of Androzani, since its on Netflix and Peter Davison had a big impact on the Tenth and Eleventh doctors (he's also Moffatt's all-time favorite, and Moffatt might as well be the SW of TV right now, which means we have to like what he likes!)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #968 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »
Peter Davison is actually the classic Doctor I've seen the most stories from, with a grand total of two. I like him as an actor, but yeah. I always feel like I'm watching it 'cause I started, rather than 'cause I want to know how it'll finish. I respect it, and I love the storytelling, and the mythology that they built up, and marvel at the sheer vision of the stories... but, I don't connect to classic Who at all. There's a whole universe out there, and I'll keep trying from time to time, but I'm not that excited to plumb its depths. Which is a shame, but ah well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: July 19, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
I started watching Dr. Who when it was Tom Baker :) - The best Doctor ever. Peter Davidson did a good job too, Colin baker was rubbish and Sylvester McCoy was only slightly better. The tv movie with McGann wasn't up to much either.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #970 on: July 21, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
I haven't seen much Davison yet. I'm about half way or so through Tom Baker's era, and he's brilliant!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #971 on: July 21, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
Just saw Episode 2 of Miracle Day today (UK is a week behind *whimper*). I'm diggin' it, I wanna know what alien is behind the whole "Miracle".

Offline robwebster

« Reply #972 on: July 22, 2011, 02:35:53 AM »
Just saw Episode 2 of Miracle Day today (UK is a week behind *whimper*). I'm diggin' it, I wanna know what alien is behind the whole "Miracle".
SPOILERS: It's the Slitheen.

I do wonder how long they'll hold off the alien involvement for. Going brilliantly, though, so far.

Probably shouldn't admit this, but I kind of like Oswald Danes and Jilly Kitzinger. :S I know! I've been taken in.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #973 on: July 22, 2011, 07:20:40 AM »
I asked my boyfriend to spray the garage to keep the bugs out. The entire time he was saying "exterminate!"

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #974 on: July 22, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »
I asked my boyfriend to spray the garage to keep the bugs out. The entire time he was saying "exterminate!"

:rollin Awesome. Did he say it with a snarly Dalek-like voice?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #975 on: July 22, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »

:rollin Awesome. Did he say it with a snarly Dalek-like voice?

I'm not sure I'd call it snarly... but yes he did it with a Dalek-like voice haha

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #976 on: July 22, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »
I have yet to watch any Torchwood.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #977 on: July 22, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »
I have yet to watch any Torchwood.
Do it man. For the Toshiko lesbian scene if for nothing else.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #978 on: July 22, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
Just start at series 1?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #979 on: July 23, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »
Series 1's iffy but great in bits, series 2's fun and silly but disposable, series 3 is stunningly well-written television.

If you think you can stomach series 1's lows, it's worth it for the highs. If not, watch episode 1 and then skip to series 2.

If you're in the mood for an action adventure urban scifi in the style of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you'll slurp up series 2. If not, skip to series 3.

Series 3 is fantastic and everyone should watch it, even if they don't like scifi. Five episodes short, each aired on consecutive days, it's like a slightly long film.