Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216447 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #910 on: July 12, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »
So when the Bollocks is Miracle Day starting?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #911 on: July 12, 2011, 06:59:51 PM »
So I finally got around to watching it. I and my boyfriend just watched the two first episodes of series 1.

I don't understand why I should not have started there (as you said), because I have to tell you, I was in complete love within 20 minutes. IT'S BRILLIANT.
I sort of consider "Rose" to be one of the weakest episodes; that, and the newer seasons have a more vibrant style/feel that's a bit easier to get into. But Season One is still amazing, and if you like it this much already, I guarantee you're going to love the rest.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: July 12, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »
Even though "Rose" as a whole is mediocre, I love the Doctor's introduction.  Made me less skeptical of Eccleston being anywhere near as good as Tennant or Smith.

"Hello, what's your name?"
"...Rose."
"Nice to meet you, Rose.  Run for your life!"

Eccleston's delivery of that last line is perfect.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #913 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08:10 AM »
Of course, Eccleston pales in comparison to Tennant or Smith, but he did a great job nonetheless. I really think he deserves more credit for his delivery of the Doctor than he gets.

And damn, those specials after Series 4 surely are absolutely great (well, apart from The Planet Of The Dead). The last ten minutes of The Waters Of Mars are absolutely gut-wrenching.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #914 on: July 13, 2011, 03:10:50 AM »
So I finally got around to watching it. I and my boyfriend just watched the two first episodes of series 1.

I don't understand why I should not have started there (as you said), because I have to tell you, I was in complete love within 20 minutes. IT'S BRILLIANT.
I sort of consider "Rose" to be one of the weakest episodes; that, and the newer seasons have a more vibrant style/feel that's a bit easier to get into. But Season One is still amazing, and if you like it this much already, I guarantee you're going to love the rest.
This actually bothers me. I find it hard to believe it actually can get so much better. I'm still looking forward to it, though! And I love Eccleston - I haven't got anyone to compare him with, which means I see his full potential, and I find him totally awesome!

Watched another episode while eating breakfast. I haven't been this excited since Dexter.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #915 on: July 13, 2011, 05:42:09 AM »

This actually bothers me. I find it hard to believe it actually can get so much better. I'm still looking forward to it, though! And I love Eccleston - I haven't got anyone to compare him with, which means I see his full potential, and I find him totally awesome!

Watched another episode while eating breakfast. I haven't been this excited since Dexter.
!!!!!

I'm absolutely ecstatic that you're loving it so much. I was exactly the same as you when I first saw series one. Adored the whole thing from the word "go..." but, so spoiled are we, that I guess we don't any more have the same amount of faith in it as we would in "The Eleventh Hour." You have got so many treats lined up that it's unreal. There's one two-parter in particular that I consider really dodgy in series 1 - you're not far off it right now - but I really dug it at the time, so I hope you do too.

I'm almost tempted to ask you to check in after every episode. You'll have watched The Unquiet Dead next, yes? That's where S1 really kicks off for me - absolutely adore it.

So when the Bollocks is Miracle Day starting?
Tomorrow, I think! Although I might've already seen it.

Wonder if it'd be worth making a separate Torchwood thread? Dedicated. If ep 1's anything to go by, it'll be worth talking about. Might be a trifle redundant, though? I do err on the side of caution a little with threads - considered doing a UK Apprentice one when the series started, but kinda went "...naw."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: July 13, 2011, 06:36:30 AM »
They've actually been advertising Miracle Day in Starz channel promos over here.  It was kind of weird, running on a treadmill, to see one of those commercials.

"STARZ HAS ALL OF YOUR FAVORITE EVERYTHING"
"JOHNNY DEPP IN A SPY FLICK"
"CAMERON DIAZ BEING OLDER AND HOT"
"LOOK AT THIS SCREWBALL COMEDY"
"CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS, A CHARACTER NONE OF YOU RECOGNIZE"

Me: Wait, what?

I thought I was hallucinating at first but now it turns out Torchwood is in America now.  Never really got into it from the first few episodes of season 1.  Just not as clever as Dr. Who.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #917 on: July 13, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »
Torchwood's good for different reasons, although being Welsh I'm probably a little biased.

Just saw the first episode of Miracle Day; was a little rushed, and some of the scene transistions seemed a little choppy, but they had a lot to cram in. Can't wait for the next episode.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #918 on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:35 AM »
They've actually been advertising Miracle Day in Starz channel promos over here.  It was kind of weird, running on a treadmill, to see one of those commercials.

"STARZ HAS ALL OF YOUR FAVORITE EVERYTHING"
"JOHNNY DEPP IN A SPY FLICK"
"CAMERON DIAZ BEING OLDER AND HOT"
"LOOK AT THIS SCREWBALL COMEDY"
"CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS, A CHARACTER NONE OF YOU RECOGNIZE"

Me: Wait, what?

I thought I was hallucinating at first but now it turns out Torchwood is in America now.  Never really got into it from the first few episodes of season 1.  Just not as clever as Dr. Who.
Torchwood's kind of completely renewed itself. Russell T Davies wrote S1E1 and then handed the reigns to Chris Chibnall, mainly. Series 1 was a little teenage and disposable, series 2 was a lot more fun but equally disposable, and then RTD came back. Series 3 was called Children of Earth, and was absolutely phenomenal. Proper event television - it got moved up to BBC One, the biggest channel, and got incredible ratings and immense critical acclaim. Rather than 13 disconnected stories, it was five episodes broadcast over five nights. Genuinely creepy, incredibly well-characterised, and thoroughly disconcerting.

Miracle Day looks to be carrying on in the same vein as CoE, which is no bad thing. I'd recommend watching CoE first if you can - it's a staggering transformation from silly runaround to brilliant, intense psychological drama. Trailer is here.

If series 1 and 2 are naff-but-fun B-movies, series 3 and 4 are more like District 9.

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #919 on: July 13, 2011, 10:37:33 AM »

!!!!!

I'm absolutely ecstatic that you're loving it so much. I was exactly the same as you when I first saw series one. Adored the whole thing from the word "go..." but, so spoiled are we, that I guess we don't any more have the same amount of faith in it as we would in "The Eleventh Hour." You have got so many treats lined up that it's unreal. There's one two-parter in particular that I consider really dodgy in series 1 - you're not far off it right now - but I really dug it at the time, so I hope you do too.

I'm almost tempted to ask you to check in after every episode. You'll have watched The Unquiet Dead next, yes? That's where S1 really kicks off for me - absolutely adore it.
I watched The Unquiet Dead today. It's just getting better. The only "downside" is that the episodes treat one adventure each (apart from the double episodes of course, but I have yet to see one) and this means you can't watch too much at the same time. I would like to be watching non-stop but I know for a fact that would make me kinda tired of it. :lol

Offline Bonham

« Reply #920 on: July 13, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »

!!!!!

It's interesting... I didn't start to dislike the Slitheen two parter until I looked online and saw that everyone else did, which is the same thing that happened with every other Doctor Who episode I've watched. I literally liked every single episode thus far that others have called mediocre (except "Love and Monsters," which nearly got unwatchable near the end for me). I've also never watched "Fear Me," and I'm not sure if I should.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #921 on: July 13, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
Fear Her is pretty bad, but I liked Love & Monsters, so my opinion is probably moot.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #922 on: July 13, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »

!!!!!

It's interesting... I didn't start to dislike the Slitheen two parter until I looked online and saw that everyone else did, which is the same thing that happened with every other Doctor Who episode I've watched. I literally liked every single episode thus far that others have called mediocre (except "Love and Monsters," which nearly got unwatchable near the end for me). I've also never watched "Fear Me," and I'm not sure if I should.
I find that with a lot of things. Very few things in life are perfect, but I don't really expect them to be, so when I watch some TV, or listen to an album, or read a book, I'm gravitating toward the good bits. I might notice the bad bits, in which case they don't negate the good, but often I'll be so wrapped up in the good that I won't notice the bad at all.

So I'll be buoyant with cheer for a good few days, what with my naturally rose-tinted world view, then have a gander on the internet, and find all the bad bits flagged up with a highlighter. It's like back in school, when you got a piece of work back and it'd have red pen all over it. You'll hand in a piece of work and be very happy with it, 'cause you've managed to really succinctly and eloquently address all the relevant points, but then when you next see it, with a myriad of red underlines smiling up at you, it's like a punch in the gut - and only very rarely do you go "what, why is that underlined?" It's more of an "Oh. Yeah. I can kinda see how that is bad. Crap." The pile of good stuff is no longer in focus, no matter how pleased you were with it at the time. 20 mistakes are still 20 mistakes, and they're stifling up the room.

Of course, quite often you'll just go "nah, fuck it!" Or just as frequently "that's not even a problem, that's just you being a picky cunt, you whiny unpleasable little loser." More often than not, even - and you should be saying all of that in your head, by the way. It doesn't tend to make a big difference in the long-run: I've seen The Big Bang dissected and stitched back together umpteen times over while snooping about on Gallifrey Base, and I still don't care for any of the criticisms, and think the people who are unpicking it are oafish boors who have completely missed the point. A big enough pile of good stuff, or a small enough pile of bad stuff, or a stupid enough pile of critics, and you'll be laughing. And that applies to everything and anything. Radio shows, books, TV, songs, you name it.

This is part of the reason that I've been known to scarper when an album release has been imminent. Refused to check out any Doctor Who sites for the whole of Series 5, too. It's better that way.

!!!!!

I watched The Unquiet Dead today. It's just getting better. The only "downside" is that the episodes treat one adventure each (apart from the double episodes of course, but I have yet to see one) and this means you can't watch too much at the same time. I would like to be watching non-stop but I know for a fact that would make me kinda tired of it. :lol
I don't think it's a spoiler to say that that will change, to an extent, as you go along.  :biggrin:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: July 13, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
Wait, people don't like the Slitheen two-parter?  Huh.  I thought it was just in the middle somewhere.  Good thing the only episode I've noticed significant flack for is "Fear Her," and that was rightly deserved. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #924 on: July 13, 2011, 11:43:25 AM »
Wait, people don't like the Slitheen two-parter?  Huh.  I thought it was just in the middle somewhere.  Good thing the only episode I've noticed significant flack for is "Fear Her," and that was rightly deserved. 
In fairness, I'd argue that even the very worst episodes of Doctor Who are "just in the middle somewhere" - Fear Her aside, as you rightly point out.

Victory of the Daleks is one that gets disembowelled on a regular basis, and I can't for the life of me fathom why. It's not particularly groundbreaking, no, but is there anything wrong with it? Save for a little TV shorthand, not really! Is there anything right about it? Yes, tonnes of stuff! The whole first twenty minutes or so are an absolute delight, for instance. Bracewell is ace, Amy's attitude to the daleks is ace, the Doctor's firing on all cylinders - ace little ep.

Online Doctor Who fans, though, tend to be the people who least understand the charm of it, as a general rule. But - ah well. There we go.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: July 13, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
Victory of the Daleks?  Really?  I'd disembowel the "Daleks in Mahattan" two-parter before that one.  I really like it.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #926 on: July 13, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
What's the name of the episode with the Magpie compnay and that woman in the TV? That's an episode that gets alot of shit, but I really enjoyed it.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #927 on: July 13, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »
Victory of the Daleks?  Really?  I'd disembowel the "Daleks in Mahattan" two-parter before that one.  I really like it.
Yep, same on both counts! I don't mind DiM either, although the science gets seriously fugging dodgy towards the end.

What's the name of the episode with the Magpie compnay and that woman in the TV? That's an episode that gets alot of shit, but I really enjoyed it.
The Idiot's Lantern. That's one of my least favourites, to be honest, but it's still a 6/10.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #928 on: July 13, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »
Didn't Mark Gatiss write that one too? Considering I'm a huge fan of him and him seeming like a good fit for Doctor Who, his episodes tend to attract alot of critical opinions.

Offline Bonham

« Reply #929 on: July 13, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »
I think the one I least understand the hate for is the Voyage of the Damned special. I honestly remember really liking that one.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #930 on: July 13, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
Didn't Mark Gatiss write that one too? Considering I'm a huge fan of him and him seeming like a good fit for Doctor Who, his episodes tend to attract alot of critical opinions.
I like his stuff as well, I find it fun. Fear Her is the only episode really that on repeat viewings I find fairly mediocre. The whole story is just irritatingly nonsensical. Love & Monsters I have no problem with though, really like it.

Rob, I think you did series 2 of Torchwood a bit of a disservice in your description up the page - I thought it was a vast improvement over the first series. Series 1 definitely got a lot better by the end but the first half was really weak. But series two is just really cool and fun the whole way through, thoroughly enjoyable. Children of Earth is great too, for entirely different reasons.

Looking forward to Miracle Day! I don't reckon it's worth a separate thread, it would just reduce the amount of activity in this thread when DW isn't on. I guess I could rename this thread "Doctor Who (+ spinoffs)" or something?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #931 on: July 13, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »
I like his stuff as well, I find it fun. Fear Her is the only episode really that on repeat viewings I find fairly mediocre. The whole story is just irritatingly nonsensical. Love & Monsters I have no problem with though, really like it.

Rob, I think you did series 2 of Torchwood a bit of a disservice in your description up the page - I thought it was a vast improvement over the first series. Series 1 definitely got a lot better by the end but the first half was really weak. But series two is just really cool and fun the whole way through, thoroughly enjoyable. Children of Earth is great too, for entirely different reasons.

Looking forward to Miracle Day! I don't reckon it's worth a separate thread, it would just reduce the amount of activity in this thread when DW isn't on. I guess I could rename this thread "Doctor Who (+ spinoffs)" or something?
I dunno, I quite like the conciseness of it just being called "Doctor Who," amidst a sea of "v. 1s," "v. That's not my legs," and what have you. Could go for "The Whoniverse," but it's a slightly cheesy title and I dunno if fledgling fans would immediately know what it was. I'll think of something, gizza min.

On the subject, when this thread gets too big, can we rename the old thread, and call the new one "Doctor Who?" I'm not into the corny subtitles. :p "Doctor Who II," if needs be.

Oh, and yes, Torchwood series 2 is an absolutely wonderful ride. But it's also silly and disposable. Even the gorgeous ones like A Day in the Death.

EDIT: There we go. That's as concise as I think we're getting without excessive grammar. Still looks sharp.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:00:57 PM by robwebster »

Offline ACID_FOX

Re: Doctor Who & Torchwood: Miracle Day
« Reply #932 on: July 13, 2011, 03:27:55 PM »
Out of Time is one of the most beautiful episodes of anything ever.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #933 on: July 15, 2011, 04:57:47 AM »
I missed Torchwood...
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #935 on: July 15, 2011, 05:25:38 AM »
Bwahahaha, I shall!
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #936 on: July 15, 2011, 06:23:15 AM »
That was amazing! That little baby was so adorable <3

Offline robwebster

« Reply #937 on: July 15, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »
I loved how chilled it was, despite all the gunfire. Ace baby.

I was dead surprised by how dodgy the fire effects were - it was my first time seeing it HQ, and it looked a little more Back to the Future than it did in the pixelated stream which surprised me, but aside that I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Really cinematic.

Rex kind of rocks, too. "I had to pay for this bridge!"

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #938 on: July 15, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »
Is it me or did the time of day keep changing during the beach scene at the end? It seemed to suddenly switch to sunset, then moved between susnset and midday at random intervals. Might of just been me, though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #939 on: July 15, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
I missed it but will watch on iPlayer over the weekend!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #941 on: July 17, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »
Okay, watched some more episodes. The Aliens of London two-parter was, as you said, not as good as the others - mostly because you told me, I believe. :lol It would have been better as a single episode, I think, it was a just bit too much of it in some way.

Dalek and The Long Game was not disappointing. Interesting and exciting episodes, both of them, though I liked The Long Game a tad more. Dalek was nice because I got to learn some about the Doctor's nemeses. The Long Game had a little more depth to it and brought up some serious issues, which was great.

Then came Father's Day, which I really liked - it was very beautiful and touching. I loved it. It was really deep and the story was fantastic. One of my favourites so far.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: July 17, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »
*Possible Spoilers*

My brother says he saw an episode of Torchwood where nobody on earth could die - which is that one called ? Might check it out !

Offline robwebster

« Reply #943 on: July 17, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »
*Possible Spoilers*

My brother says he saw an episode of Torchwood where nobody on earth could die - which is that one called ? Might check it out !
It's the latest one! Torchwood: Miracle Day. Episode 1. Think the episode's called "The New World." Bloody cool it is, too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: July 17, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
He says it's quite dark - but I wouldn't mind having a look. :)