Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216622 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #875 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
We're lead to belive the Tardis translates all languages, even gurgle. :lol

This, pretty much.

Well, the Hath don't have mouths, and I don't think Martha understood them just fine, she seemed like she was picking up on movements and context clues the whole time.  As for Jenny, she's definitely Gallifreyan, but I don't know if that means she's a full-on Time Lord.  Depends if she's all mutated by the time vortex or not.  The regeneration might have just been from the source and not from a Time Lord/Lady's ability to regenerate.  I'd like to see her come back.  She's too gorgeous not to.  You know, when she's done having David Tennant's baby.

Perhaps, but it seemed like they were understanding one another pretty well. But there wasn't Tardis translation, at least not that was shown. I'm still intrigued as to the ramification of there being another Gallifreyan wandering about the universe is going to have. And The Source causing the regeneration is a good point. Though the wisp of energy that escaped her mouth seemed very much like The Doctor during Christmas Invasion when he was still undergoing his regeneration cycle. But I'd been assuming so far that regeneration had something to do with The Tardis. Which she didn't have access to. Meaning it might have been the Source. I really don't know. I'll be the first to admit I don't know nearly enough or as much about Doctor Who as the rest of you.

Well, pre-revival Doctors have regenerated outside the TARDIS before, so I don't think a Time Lord has to be inside a TARDIS to regenerate. 

Actually, now that I think about it, Jenny can't be a full Time Lord.  Eccleston explains to Rose that he would be able to feel it if there were other Time Lords in the universe.  So if Jenny were alive, the Doctor would have sensed it, and given his emotions during that episode, I see no reason why the tenth wouldn't fly back there and pick her up. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #876 on: June 15, 2011, 08:57:22 AM »
I don't think a Doctor actually has regenerated outside of the TARDIS... although, one very nearly did.
Sorry for double post.

But I just watched the library two parter and I am shitting a half a metric ton of bricks right now. And the other half metric ton? Also bricks.

I just. Fucking. Jesus christ. That episode was just so...Doctor. It was wonderful. It was heart wrenching. And it was kinda confusing. I kept asking my friend Brandon (who watches the show religiously) questions about what was going on. He refused to actually tell me. Other than these few things.

1. Everything is connected in this show.
2. Everything is connected in this show.
3. Shit gets real in season 6
4. Pay close attention to everything.
5. Steve Moffat is a fuck.

I'm just kind of in a state of blissful ragey happiness. Fucking love this show.
This kinda shiz is why I massively envy you. There is nothing like watching Silence in the Library for the first time. Absolutely stellar. I had a moment the other day when I realised you hadn't met River Song - ohhhh, just wait. The best is yet to come.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »
I'm watching all of Doctor Who with some friends and just finished Dalek from season 1. In the beginning, I swear there's a thing that looks just like prisoner zero in one of the glass cases.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #878 on: June 15, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
Rob, the Doctor has definitely regenerated outside the TARDIS. You noob. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #879 on: June 15, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »
We're lead to belive the Tardis translates all languages, even gurgle. :lol

This, pretty much.

Well, the Hath don't have mouths, and I don't think Martha understood them just fine, she seemed like she was picking up on movements and context clues the whole time.  As for Jenny, she's definitely Gallifreyan, but I don't know if that means she's a full-on Time Lord.  Depends if she's all mutated by the time vortex or not.  The regeneration might have just been from the source and not from a Time Lord/Lady's ability to regenerate.  I'd like to see her come back.  She's too gorgeous not to.  You know, when she's done having David Tennant's baby.

Perhaps, but it seemed like they were understanding one another pretty well. But there wasn't Tardis translation, at least not that was shown. I'm still intrigued as to the ramification of there being another Gallifreyan wandering about the universe is going to have. And The Source causing the regeneration is a good point. Though the wisp of energy that escaped her mouth seemed very much like The Doctor during Christmas Invasion when he was still undergoing his regeneration cycle. But I'd been assuming so far that regeneration had something to do with The Tardis. Which she didn't have access to. Meaning it might have been the Source. I really don't know. I'll be the first to admit I don't know nearly enough or as much about Doctor Who as the rest of you.

Well, pre-revival Doctors have regenerated outside the TARDIS before, so I don't think a Time Lord has to be inside a TARDIS to regenerate. 

Actually, now that I think about it, Jenny can't be a full Time Lord.  Eccleston explains to Rose that he would be able to feel it if there were other Time Lords in the universe.  So if Jenny were alive, the Doctor would have sensed it, and given his emotions during that episode, I see no reason why the tenth wouldn't fly back there and pick her up. 

Hmm. But he didn't notice The Master. Granted The Master was in hiding and his essence sealed in a watch. But wouldn't he have felt the watch? But wouldn't he have felt The Master while he was masquerading as Saxon? Or was that cancled out because of the paradox shenanigans?

I don't think a Doctor actually has regenerated outside of the TARDIS... although, one very nearly did.
Sorry for double post.

But I just watched the library two parter and I am shitting a half a metric ton of bricks right now. And the other half metric ton? Also bricks.

I just. Fucking. Jesus christ. That episode was just so...Doctor. It was wonderful. It was heart wrenching. And it was kinda confusing. I kept asking my friend Brandon (who watches the show religiously) questions about what was going on. He refused to actually tell me. Other than these few things.

1. Everything is connected in this show.
2. Everything is connected in this show.
3. Shit gets real in season 6
4. Pay close attention to everything.
5. Steve Moffat is a fuck.

I'm just kind of in a state of blissful ragey happiness. Fucking love this show.
This kinda shiz is why I massively envy you. There is nothing like watching Silence in the Library for the first time. Absolutely stellar. I had a moment the other day when I realised you hadn't met River Song - ohhhh, just wait. The best is yet to come.

That was such a great two parter. Fucking. Just. This show. Even if all that episode was was the 30 second clip of him snapping his fingers to open, and then close, the Tardis I'd have been happy. That was just so fucking cool

Offline robwebster

« Reply #880 on: June 15, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »
Rob, the Doctor has definitely regenerated outside the TARDIS. You noob. :P
I seem to remember hearing some theory about the TARDIS being part of the process, so I figured they were all within. Come to think of it, though, 4 into 5 is definitely outside.

And, of course, there was the er... viciously aborted regeneration, not to give too much away.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #881 on: June 15, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »
I know it's late but I'm just gonna drop by to say I cannot WAIT for Dr Who to come back.  :biggrin:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #882 on: June 16, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »
So, I finished the second series yesterday and I agree that overall, it is pretty weak compared to series 1, 5 and 6 so far. But I'll keep watching, since you guys are saying great things about the third and fourth series.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #883 on: June 16, 2011, 03:04:47 AM »
So, I finished the second series yesterday and I agree that overall, it is pretty weak compared to series 1, 5 and 6 so far. But I'll keep watching, since you guys are saying great things about the third and fourth series.
Three and four are absolutely sterling.

3's a slow starter but a stunning finisher. 4 is absolutely tip top all the way through. One episode I don't like (Journey's End, for anyone who knows the titles), but even that's got plenty to love about it.

Ohhhh, and the specials. 4.14 - 4.18. Brilliant stuff.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #884 on: June 16, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: June 16, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »
Ugh.  Creepy.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #886 on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: June 16, 2011, 09:55:07 AM »
3 episodes of Sherlock a year!  Come on now!  Maybe we'll get a 2012 season full of specials like 2008/09/10.  Maybe without Rory and Amy.  I think I'd be okay with that. 

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #888 on: June 16, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »
Yeah, at least there'll be more Sherlock.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #889 on: June 16, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »
More likely to just be another split-season, seeing as the next thing commissioned is a full series of fourteen episodes.

They need to start filming nine months in advance, if they want to get the episodes done in time for broadcast. However, they can't start filming in a month's time as is traditional, or they'd give away a crapload of secrets. So they'll be filming more likely in January, in time for an October broadcast.

Seven eps late 2012, seven early 2013. Plus a shortened gap between series-halves, giving them time to film another series for late 2013.

Or that's what makes sense to me, anywho.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #890 on: June 16, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »
My thinking is the same as Rob's. A split season across 2012-13. And that means possibility culminating with some kind of epic special in 2013 to celebrate DW's 50th anniversary!!

Also:

https://www.drwhogirlsknickers.co.uk/

wat
Just, wtf. As far as I can tell, that guy is a pervert and a homophobe.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #891 on: June 16, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
Yeah, the best part is how offended he gets when talking about the male casts' underwear. Like, it's totally normal to collect women's panties, but men's underwear is just perverted :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #892 on: June 16, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
I've got a hunch that's a joke site.

"She was in the Victory of the Daleks story which was rubbish because there were new Daleks and Churchill told someone to bugger someone which is stupid and unpleasant pre-watershed."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #893 on: June 16, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »
Could well be. Slightly disturbing if real.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #894 on: June 23, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/06/dwn230611155508-best-doctor-who-poems.html

Well, I know what I'm going to be buying all my friends next Christmas.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #895 on: June 24, 2011, 02:24:48 AM »
https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/06/dwn230611155508-best-doctor-who-poems.html

Well, I know what I'm going to be buying all my friends next Christmas.

...and me please??  :D 

Time Loop, by Gerald Riley

In the constellation of Kasterborous,
There lies a special place.
Locked in time through the spoils of war,
One survivor - who changes his face.

He’s lived for over nine hundred years,
But perished after four knocks.
His name is heard throughout the universe.
This mad man with a box.

So whenever you travel in time and space,
Through the stars so wild and dangerous,
Listen for the echo of two beating hearts,
In the constellation of Kasterborous.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #896 on: June 24, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
Just watching the end of Series 2; I'd forgotten how bloody brilliant the scene is with the daleks and cybermen slagging each other off. :lol

"OUR SPECIES ARE SIMILAR, THOUGH YOUR DESIGN IS INELEGANT"
"DALEKS HAVE NO CONCEPT OF ELEGANCE"
"THIS IS OBVIOUS"

"YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT"
"WHAT IS THAT?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING"

Marvellous.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #897 on: June 24, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
Girlfriend got me into Dr. Who via the 11th Doctor. Going to start at the 9th and watch through 10 soon. Excellent series of shows, September cannot come sooner.1

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #898 on: June 24, 2011, 11:42:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCCMg-rcCQk

I realize everyone in this thread has most likely already seen this, buy I just watched "Eleventh Hour" again and... just... fucking shit.
If this isn't the greatest scene in Sci-fi TV history, I don't know what is.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #899 on: June 24, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »
Just watching the end of Series 2; I'd forgotten how bloody brilliant the scene is with the daleks and cybermen slagging each other off. :lol

"OUR SPECIES ARE SIMILAR, THOUGH YOUR DESIGN IS INELEGANT"
"DALEKS HAVE NO CONCEPT OF ELEGANCE"
"THIS IS OBVIOUS"

"YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT"
"WHAT IS THAT?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING"

Marvellous.

Yeah, that episode, and especially that dialogue were absolutely brilliant.

Mentlegen.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #900 on: June 25, 2011, 03:39:21 AM »
Girlfriend got me into Dr. Who via the 11th Doctor. Going to start at the 9th and watch through 10 soon. Excellent series of shows, September cannot come sooner.1
Best way to do it! And no. No it can't.

What are your favourite episodes so far? (I keep asking this to people, and don't only sound like a broken record - I'm going for a record. But hey, I love this bit.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCCMg-rcCQk

I realize everyone in this thread has most likely already seen this, buy I just watched "Eleventh Hour" again and... just... fucking shit.
If this isn't the greatest scene in Sci-fi TV history, I don't know what is.
I don't know about the greatest scene in sci-fi TV history necessarily (although I'm not arguing!), but it's absolutely pitch-perfect. In every respect. Particularly the music. Oh, The Eleventh Hour, I love you so dearly.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #901 on: June 25, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
Best way to do it! And no. No it can't.

What are your favourite episodes so far? (I keep asking this to people, and don't only sound like a broken record - I'm going for a record. But hey, I love this bit.

The Impossible Astronaught/ Day of the Moon.  I love The Silence as enemies, and The Doctor's speech at the end of Day of the Moon was EPIC.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #902 on: June 29, 2011, 02:30:45 AM »
Damn. "Blink", although being a "Doctor light" episode, is an absolutely amazing episode.

Mentlegen.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #903 on: July 01, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
In the episode "Flesh and Stone" has anyone noticed that when the Doctor tells Amy to remember what he told her when she was 7, he has his jacket on? When about 5 minutes previously he had it taken off of him by an angel?

Maybe something for a future episode? Or not?

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #904 on: July 01, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »
In the episode "Flesh and Stone" has anyone noticed that when the Doctor tells Amy to remember what he told her when she was 7, he has his jacket on? When about 5 minutes previously he had it taken off of him by an angel?

You haven't watched all of Series 5 yet have you?

Offline adameastment

« Reply #905 on: July 01, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »

You haven't watched all of Series 5 yet have you?
I have... I just have a bad memory, what happened? :|

EDIT: I remember now :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:49:05 PM by adameastment »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #906 on: July 01, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
I point you to page 4 of this very thread, when the episode had only recently aired and that realisation had just hit us: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=7519.msg429001#msg429001

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #907 on: July 01, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »
I point you to page 4 of this very thread, when the episode had only recently aired and that realisation had just hit us: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=7519.msg429001#msg429001

Of all the DW moments, that bit with the jacket when we learn that he went back in time made me go "OH FUCK ME" the most :lol
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: July 09, 2011, 08:23:22 AM »
So I've tried watching some classic Doctor Who.  To be honest, I didn't find many of them all that great.  I found myself liking Peter Davison the most (I've seen one Baker, one Hartnell, one Davison, and one McCoy story each) but I've just started watching "The Three Doctors" and this is the only classic who story so far that has kept me entertained, rather than making me feel like I'm doing a chore just to try and appreciate a show I already love even more.  So yeah, I guess I'm appreciating Jon Pertwee.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #909 on: July 12, 2011, 05:04:35 PM »
So I finally got around to watching it. I and my boyfriend just watched the two first episodes of series 1.

I don't understand why I should not have started there (as you said), because I have to tell you, I was in complete love within 20 minutes. IT'S BRILLIANT.