Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216514 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #840 on: June 12, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »
I finished up Season 5 a while ago, the ending was wonderful.  The last episode was some of the show's very best material, and I think that 5 was definitely a much stronger series than either of the previous ones. 

As I usually get like this when I find a new TV show I love, I plowed through the first half of season six like it was Karen Gillan (who is super hot and makes for my favorite companion yet) and it was fantastic.  The Doctor's Wife was my favorite episode from it, which wasn't a huge surprise considering how much I love Neil Gaiman.  The latest one was also great.  I think I have a pretty decent (though probably quite obvious) hunch on where this one is going, but I could be totally wrong.  Whatever, at least I can catch up on series 1 and 2 while I'm waiting for it to resume.  I'm ultimately immeasurably delighted that I picked up on this show, as it's provided some fantastic entertainment. 

As far as rankings, I've not decided on my favorite doctor (I love both Tennant and Smith) but here are my unseasoned favorites:
S3: 1. Blink  2. Human Nature / The Family of Blood
S4: 1. Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead  2. Midnight
S5: 1. The Big Bang  2. Vincent and the Doctor
S6: 1. The Doctor's Wife  2. Day of the Moon

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #841 on: June 12, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
You, sir, have mighty fine tastes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #842 on: June 12, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
Hey fanboys (and maybe girls), if I want to start watching now, where do I start? My friend said that I should start with the latest season, but it doesn't feel right to do that. I'm also suspecting she's tricking me into it so that she'll have someone to discuss it with. So what do you say?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #843 on: June 12, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »
From my prospective, the latest season doesn't seem like a great starting point, as certain events near the beginning of the episode won't probably do much for you without another season's worth of background.  I think that series 5 would be a good place to start from the beginning for a newcomer, as it brings you in to the best series at a very accessible starting point.  The first episode does well in explaining itself to someone new to the series.

But you should probably listen to Ariich or Robwebster, I'm actually just a noob pretending to be a fanboy

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #844 on: June 12, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
As much as Series 5 is a good entry point, I really can't bring myself to tell anyone to start there without seeing the first four series first. You get a much better appreciation for the character by starting at Series one, and of course get some quality telivision ;)
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #845 on: June 12, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »
So I'm reading an episode guide right now, this is confusing stuff. Anyway, if I got it right, series one features the ninth doctor? Starting there feels okay - not an overwhelming amount of episodes to watch (at least compared to how much there is before that), but I still get quite a lot of the show. I'm open to more suggestions though, if anyone has anything else to say.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #846 on: June 12, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
Series one with the 9th Doctor is basically a reboot of the series, but still keeping all the old continuity. I havn't seen any episodes prior to series one (mainly because despite what the diehards say, they're awful) and there really no need to.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: June 12, 2011, 04:38:38 PM »
Aranka, starting with Season 5 should be fine.  So should starting with Season 1. 

As for favorite episodes:

Season 1: Dalek and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Season 2: School Reunion and The Girl in the Fireplace
Season 3: Blink and Human Nature/Family of Blood
Season 4: Forest of the Dead/Silence in the Library and Midnight (honestly the scariest Doctor Who episode.  RTD must have taken an overdose of whatever drugs Moffat's been taking)
Season 5: The Eleventh Hour and The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
Season 6: The Doctor's Wife and A Good Man Goes to War

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #848 on: June 12, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »
I'm in the middle of the second series right now, so I can't really take part in this ranking game. But I'm already excited for the series 3 and 4. Looks like there are some killer episodes in there.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #849 on: June 12, 2011, 04:57:42 PM »
Thanks for your help, guys. I think it'll be series one. I have slight OCD when it comes to these things and I like to be thorough with things. We'll see what my boyfriend says, we'll be watching together.

I havn't seen any episodes prior to series one (mainly because despite what the diehards say, they're awful) and there really no need to.
I watched one episode that was randomly on TV some night. Since I then had only heard about Doctor Who and didn't know anything at all about it, I can't say which episode or season, but it was old. We had a really good time laughing at the aliens with suspiciously human legs stumbling around. :lol

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #850 on: June 12, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
So I'd taken a bit of an impromptu break from Doctor Who. Meaning, i got distracted from watching The Doctor by reading A Game of Thrones.

So I'm jumping back in. The Santauran two parter. Just spectacular. Paradox to break the ATMOS. Fighting the Santaurans. Burning off the gas. Luke sacrificing himself to save The Doctor in the end. Just fantastic.

But what stands out the most? Rose on the monitor in the Tardis. And she already briefly appeared at the end of Partners in Crime. I'm very intrigued as to where this is going.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #851 on: June 12, 2011, 10:46:48 PM »
SONTAR-HA

Offline robwebster

« Reply #852 on: June 13, 2011, 06:00:20 AM »
Thanks for your help, guys. I think it'll be series one. I have slight OCD when it comes to these things and I like to be thorough with things. We'll see what my boyfriend says, we'll be watching together.

I havn't seen any episodes prior to series one (mainly because despite what the diehards say, they're awful) and there really no need to.
I watched one episode that was randomly on TV some night. Since I then had only heard about Doctor Who and didn't know anything at all about it, I can't say which episode or season, but it was old. We had a really good time laughing at the aliens with suspiciously human legs stumbling around. :lol
I've not been here for the last five days or so, so I might've missed the boat here... BUT! Series 5 is a new start, and the most confident, exciting and all-round fun place to begin. Its first episode - The Eleventh Hour - gives away no spoilers for the last four series, and acts as a one-stop guide to everything that's important about the series. Rose is an episode that I really liked in 2005, but watching it nowadays I think it's a lot more of a mixed bag. Each series has a steady pulse of greatness, and among them are moments of astonishing brilliance and also a couple of more strained moments. Series 5 is the very strongest, with the most brilliance and the least chinks in its armour, and it's tailor made to pick up brand new viewers. Each series, so far, has been more confident than the last, but series 5 is the jewel. So, yes. Series 5. Always series 5.

My main problem with series 1 is that Rose is a bit of a weak point, and it's followed shortly by Aliens of London and World War Three, which are also kind of weak. All directed by a fella called Keith Boak, who never returned - allegedly because nobody got along with him, and his vision simply didn't fit. Eps 1, 4 and 5 are the weakest of the series, and it's hard to look past that. Series 5, meanwhile, eps 1, 4 and 5 are arguably the strongest, so you've got a much more confident beginning.

Favourites!
DOCTORS:
1. Smith
2. Tennant
3. Eccleston

Funnily enough, while Tennant is "my" Doctor, Smith is my favourite. This sounds a little arrogant, perhaps, but I do see a fair bit of myself in Smith's portrayal - obviously not intentional, but while I'd be a little in awe of Tennant's Doctor, I feel a little bit kindred with Smith's. I'd get on well with him.

SERIES:
Series 5
Series 4 (Plus specials!)
Series 6 (Part 1)
Series 3
Series 1
Series 2

The best bits of series 2 are absolutely fantastic, but it's a bit of a mixed bag - New Earth, The Idiot's Lantern, Love and Monsters and Fear Her are episodes I've never quite got along with, whereas I'm relatively indifferent too to School Reunion, The Rise of the Cybermen, The Age of Steel... ack. The best bits are brilliant, though. The other two two-parters absolutely marvellous, and then Tooth & Claw, The Girl in the Fireplace... grand.

As a general rule, though, each is better than the last. I'm in awe of series 6, so far, but it's not quite as fun as 4 and 5, so I've placed it just below for now. Absolutely sterling, though.

BEST EPISODES PER SERIES:
S1: The Unquiet Dead - The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances
S2: The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit - Army of Ghosts / Doomsday
S3: Smith & Jones - Human Nature / The Family of Blood
S4: Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead - The Waters of Mars
S5: The Eleventh Hour - The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang
S6: The Impossible Astronaut / Day of the Moon - A Good Man Goes to War

A hell of a lot of Moffat.

BEST VILLAINS:
S1: Gelth.
S2: Ood.
S3: Weeping Angels.
S4: Vashta Nerada.
S5: Prisoner Zero.
S6: The Silence.

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #853 on: June 13, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »
I see. But isn't there a risk then that I get disappointed when I start from series one? I generally don't like starting with the best of something, because I'm afraid I won't appreciate the rest afterwards. I mean, if I start with series one, I'll have something to look forward to, and if I don't like it at all I can always skip to the good part. It won't be as much fun if I start with series five, absolutely love it, and then get all disappointed with what came before.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #854 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »
I see. But isn't there a risk then that I get disappointed when I start from series one? I generally don't like starting with the best of something, because I'm afraid I won't appreciate the rest afterwards. I mean, if I start with series one, I'll have something to look forward to, and if I don't like it at all I can always skip to the good part. It won't be as much fun if I start with series five, absolutely love it, and then get all disappointed with what came before.
Yeah! That's a fair point. Just don't feel you have to. Starting DW with series 1 is a bit like starting Dream Theater with When Dream and Day Unite.

Weeeeell... no, that's a lie. It's not. Critically acclaimed, fantastic scripts, brilliant actors, turned Billie Piper from a laughable nostalgic reference into a household name in the world of acting, had spades more imagination than any other TV show dared flaunt at the time, and paved the way for the best show in the world to claim the earth once more. Series 1 is streets ahead of When Dream and Day Unite.

But on the other hand - different frontman, shaky around the edges, the vision is slightly unclear compared to future series, the stories slightly less adventurous, the mythology primordial. Yet, still lovable. WDADU kicks off with a classic, and in truth I fell in love with Doctor Who right from the first minute.

Just... don't be worried if you watch series 1 and you're not as absolutely enraptured as I was on first watch, because I wouldn't blame anyone who wasn't for a second. S5 is the marvellously bonkers "new look" Scenes from a Memory-style return-with-a-vengeance. And you've got Images and Words and Awake to look forward to in the meanwhile. Score.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: June 13, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »
So season 6 is 6DoiT :D and we have ToT and SC to look forward to next?  :-\

Offline robwebster

« Reply #856 on: June 13, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
In fairness, it's a loose analogy. I wouldn't say series 2 bares any real resemblance to Images and Words. :p Series 4 even less to FII - maybe spin the order. FII, Awake, Images.

On the other hand, series 6 is the ambitious one delivered in two parts...

EDIT: And series eight will be the one that coincides with a massive anniversary!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »
In fairness, it's a loose analogy. I wouldn't say series 2 bares any real resemblance to Images and Words. :p Series 4 even less to FII - maybe spin the order. FII, Awake, Images.

On the other hand, series 6 is the ambitious one delivered in two parts...

You know, spinning the order around actually makes perfect sense.  You've got an overal mediocre season 2 with a few great gems, a pretty good season 3 with a few episodes that don't work for you at all, and then you have a perfect season 4 (if you're counting the specials it gets even better). 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #858 on: June 13, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
The specials kind of work better with Falling Into Infinity... extra stuff from the era that may not have been in the series proper, but is still at least on a par with it. But yeah, it's a flawed analogy! Just a general idea that "primordial-but-cool stuff gives way to good stuff gives way to a new lineup" is all anyone needs. (Also, your views on DT albums pre-TOT and those on all DW series so far are, apparently, spookily similar to mine. Congrats!)

On another subject, was gonna post this in user pictures, but didn't think anyone there would necessarily "get" it...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #859 on: June 13, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
I finished up Season 5 a while ago, the ending was wonderful.  The last episode was some of the show's very best material, and I think that 5 was definitely a much stronger series than either of the previous ones. 

As I usually get like this when I find a new TV show I love, I plowed through the first half of season six like it was Karen Gillan (who is super hot and makes for my favorite companion yet) and it was fantastic.  The Doctor's Wife was my favorite episode from it, which wasn't a huge surprise considering how much I love Neil Gaiman.  The latest one was also great.  I think I have a pretty decent (though probably quite obvious) hunch on where this one is going, but I could be totally wrong.  Whatever, at least I can catch up on series 1 and 2 while I'm waiting for it to resume.  I'm ultimately immeasurably delighted that I picked up on this show, as it's provided some fantastic entertainment. 

As far as rankings, I've not decided on my favorite doctor (I love both Tennant and Smith) but here are my unseasoned favorites:
S3: 1. Blink  2. Human Nature / The Family of Blood
S4: 1. Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead  2. Midnight
S5: 1. The Big Bang  2. Vincent and the Doctor
S6: 1. The Doctor's Wife  2. Day of the Moon
What's your hunch? You're in the same boat as us now, speculate away. :hat

Also, yes. EXQUISITE tastes. In companions, series, episodes, people who are in urgent need of a ploughing-through and preferably from yours truly, Doctors - everything. So glad you're enjoying the ride so much.

So I'd taken a bit of an impromptu break from Doctor Who. Meaning, i got distracted from watching The Doctor by reading A Game of Thrones.

So I'm jumping back in. The Santauran two parter. Just spectacular. Paradox to break the ATMOS. Fighting the Santaurans. Burning off the gas. Luke sacrificing himself to save The Doctor in the end. Just fantastic.

But what stands out the most? Rose on the monitor in the Tardis. And she already briefly appeared at the end of Partners in Crime. I'm very intrigued as to where this is going.
I really like the Sontaran two-parter! The strongest in its "slot" (i.e. early two-parter) until... ah. Spoilers. But yeah, such a cool race. That two parter is funny and exciting in equal measure. I love the Sontarans as villains. They're a lot of fun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
Well, I don't think FII is mediocre all around with a few gems.  Its only stinkers are YNM and BMS.  The rest ranges from good to orgasmic.  But that's the general fan consensus and worked with my assessment of season 2, so why not?  At least we share DW opinions.

EDIT: I need to have some honorable mentions because there's just so much good stuff in DW.

SE1: Unquiet Dead
SE2: The Christmas Invasion
SE3: Smith and Jones
SE4: The Doctor's Daughter (Georgia Moffet's gorgeousness puts it just above Sontaran Strategem/Poison Sky)
SE5: Vincent and the Doctor
SE6: Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon

And doctor rankings:

1. Smith
2. Tennant (but its a very close second)
3. Eccleston (who was great, but there just aren't enough great episodes for him to really show off)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:17:39 AM by skydivingninja »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #861 on: June 13, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
SERIES:
Series 5
Series 4 (Plus specials!)
Series 6 (Part 1)
Series 3
Series 1
Series 2
Cool idea!

Series 5
Series 3
2009 Specials (I consider them basically a separate series)
Series 4
Series 1&2

Can't decide between the last two. Pretty much all of DW's weakest episodes are spread throughout those two series, but there's plenty of great stuff in them as well. Both are solid overall.

This makes a lot of sense and I agree with the overall logic behind it. I say go with that! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: June 13, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
Oh man we're ranking seasons now? 

Season 5
Season 4
2009 Specials (still haven't seen Planet of the Dead, but Waters of Mars and End of Time were amazing enough to put it above season 6 right now)
Season 6 (so far)
Season 3
Season 1
Season 2

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #863 on: June 13, 2011, 03:44:27 PM »
I can't rank series 6 until it's finished and I'm able to consider the thing as a whole.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #864 on: June 13, 2011, 03:45:59 PM »
Season 5
Season 4 (Including Specials)
Season 3
Season 6 (Will no doubt rise when it's done)
Season 2
Season 1

EDIT: Didn't do my Docs or eppys

Doctor:  Easily Matt.  Just perfect for the role.

Episodes:
S1: The Parting of the Ways
S2: The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
S3: Human Nature/The Family of Blood
S4: The Stolen Earth/Journeys End
Special: The End of Time
S5: Really difficult one this because the season is just amazing...The Pandorica Opens/The Big Band
S6 (So far): The Doctor's Wife
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:22:34 AM by jonny108 »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #865 on: June 13, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
Decided to watch from the start of Series 1 again, and I have to say, I'd forgotten how good The Unquiet Dead is. Gatiss' script is great, and Simon Callow puts in such a lovely performance as Dickens! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #866 on: June 13, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
Season 5
Season 6 (so far)
Season 4/Season 3 (Tied as Season 3 had stellar standout episodes, whereas Season 4 was more consistent)
Season 2
Season 1

Doctors:
Matt Smith is probably the best for the role, but David Tennant is just too badass to rank below him.
Christopher Eccleston (who I also loved)

SE1: Dalek
SE2: The Girl in the Fireplace/The Satan Pit/Doomsday goddammit...
SE3: Blink
SE4: Forest of the Dead
SE5: The Pandorica Opens
SE6: The Doctor's Wife
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:50:42 PM by Bonham »

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #867 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
Series 5
Series 6
Series 3
Series 4
Series 1
Series 2

Doctors
Matt Smith
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Christopher Eccleston
David Tennant
Jon Pertwee

Something like that. Patrick would be higher (maybe first) if more of his serials had survided.

Episodes
S1: The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances
S2: The Girl in the Fireplace
S3: Blink
S4: The Sontaran Stratagem / The Poison Sky
S5: The Eleventh Hour
S6: The Impossible Astronaut / Day of the Moon

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #868 on: June 14, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »

BEST VILLAINS:

Prisoner Zero? Really?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #869 on: June 14, 2011, 10:09:57 AM »
Watched The Doctors Daughter last night. I was really really tired and dozed a couple times. But I don't think I missed anything.

So is Jenny going to be a full on time-lord? Or is it as The Doctor said and she's just an echo? And why'd it take so long for her to regenerate? Along with this, I thought regeneration caused you to change bodies, etc. Why not her? And what had me confused the whole time, why was the language of the Hath not translated but Martha could apparently understand them just fine?

Are all of those things I missed explanations for because I was tired? Or am I meant to be left guessing because it's Doctor Who and that's what they do.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: June 14, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
Well, the Hath don't have mouths, and I don't think Martha understood them just fine, she seemed like she was picking up on movements and context clues the whole time.  As for Jenny, she's definitely Gallifreyan, but I don't know if that means she's a full-on Time Lord.  Depends if she's all mutated by the time vortex or not.  The regeneration might have just been from the source and not from a Time Lord/Lady's ability to regenerate.  I'd like to see her come back.  She's too gorgeous not to.  You know, when she's done having David Tennant's baby.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #871 on: June 14, 2011, 10:21:33 AM »
We're lead to belive the Tardis translates all languages, even gurgle. :lol

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #872 on: June 14, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
We're lead to belive the Tardis translates all languages, even gurgle. :lol

This, pretty much.

Well, the Hath don't have mouths, and I don't think Martha understood them just fine, she seemed like she was picking up on movements and context clues the whole time.  As for Jenny, she's definitely Gallifreyan, but I don't know if that means she's a full-on Time Lord.  Depends if she's all mutated by the time vortex or not.  The regeneration might have just been from the source and not from a Time Lord/Lady's ability to regenerate.  I'd like to see her come back.  She's too gorgeous not to.  You know, when she's done having David Tennant's baby.

Perhaps, but it seemed like they were understanding one another pretty well. But there wasn't Tardis translation, at least not that was shown. I'm still intrigued as to the ramification of there being another Gallifreyan wandering about the universe is going to have. And The Source causing the regeneration is a good point. Though the wisp of energy that escaped her mouth seemed very much like The Doctor during Christmas Invasion when he was still undergoing his regeneration cycle. But I'd been assuming so far that regeneration had something to do with The Tardis. Which she didn't have access to. Meaning it might have been the Source. I really don't know. I'll be the first to admit I don't know nearly enough or as much about Doctor Who as the rest of you.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #873 on: June 14, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »
Sorry for double post.

But I just watched the library two parter and I am shitting a half a metric ton of bricks right now. And the other half metric ton? Also bricks.

I just. Fucking. Jesus christ. That episode was just so...Doctor. It was wonderful. It was heart wrenching. And it was kinda confusing. I kept asking my friend Brandon (who watches the show religiously) questions about what was going on. He refused to actually tell me. Other than these few things.

1. Everything is connected in this show.
2. Everything is connected in this show.
3. Shit gets real in season 6
4. Pay close attention to everything.
5. Steve Moffat is a fuck.

I'm just kind of in a state of blissful ragey happiness. Fucking love this show.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #874 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
Quote from: robwebster
BEST VILLAINS:

Prisoner Zero? Really?
I'm perhaps speaking while wearing slightly rose-tinted lenses. My favourite episode's The Eleventh Hour, and while I was at the BBC Headquarters the other day I picked up a Prisoner Zero action figure as a tribute, so I'm kind of in that "mode." I think he's the coolest villain introduced in that series, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:54:14 AM by robwebster »