Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216593 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #805 on: June 06, 2011, 07:03:10 AM »
Maybe the Silence were trying to steal River from Kovarian and the Church?  Maybe the events of LKH will lead to the Silence capturing baby River before the Doctor and pals can get her back and they want to use her as a weapon the way the church wanted to, maybe using her time-lordiness to pilot their Aickman Road TARDIS and take the Silence to other planets, which would explain why the fish vamps and Prisoner Zero knew who the Silence were. 
I like it!

I have no expectations of Let's Kill Hitler whatsoever. Once again, I don't know who the enemies are. I figure it'll probably be set in Nazi Germany, and I know it's written by Steven Moffat, but aside from that? Clueless.

I can't even work out whether it'll pick up directly from where A Good Man Goes to War left off. Apparently they're considered a two parter (which, you could argue - although I personally don't - means it forms a four-parter with the fantastic title "The Rebel Flesh / The Almost People / A Good Man Goes to War / Let's Kill Hitler"), but Steven Moffat loves time-jumps.

No idea if we're gonna see how they escaped Demon's Run, very possibly we won't, and I've got a feeling we won't find out what the Doctor was doing when he disappeared into the TARDIS until a lot further down the line.

Also, I'm very glad that we've got such a cool Silurian story. I didn't particularly like the Silurians in The Hungry Earth / Cold Blood, and while CB was perfectly good, Hungry Earth is the only episode I've felt seriously underwhelmed by, and it leaves a bit of a blot on the story. Serviceable, but really kinda dull.

How brilliant was the Sontaran nurse, on that note?

"Whole nations would kill for just a tiny sliver of Time Lord DNA" - or whatever it was they said in episode 1. The Silence and the Headless Monks are both fighting over it, I presume. Abducting the Doctor's not on the agenda, but Melody's defenceless. I don't think the Astronaut in the lake was the work of the Silence - I think there's a sort of "enemy of my enemy" thing going on here. The Silence and the Headless Monks don't get on, but the Monks fear the Doctor, too, so the Silence kind of want him alive. Hence the toilet warnings?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: June 06, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »
Yeah, if there's one thing I'm not a fan of this season its Moffatt's time jump between The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon.  Did they even explain why the FBI needed to pretend like they were hunting down Amy, Rory, and River?  So it's a possibility that the time between AGMGTW and LKH will have passed and there will be questions answered in brief exposition like in Day of the Moon.

I loved the Sontaran Nurse.  And Neil Gaiman's tweet about Lady Vashta: "Lady Vashta should be an actress as well as solve crimes.  Then she'd be a Victorian Silurian Lesibian Thespian." :lol

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #807 on: June 06, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
Whole series so far is up on iPlayer.  That's my day sorted :)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #808 on: June 06, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
I loved the Sontaran Nurse.  And Neil Gaiman's tweet about Lady Vashta: "Lady Vashta should be an actress as well as solve crimes.  Then she'd be a Victorian Silurian Lesibian Thespian." :lol
I think Steven Moffat won at twitter when he retweeted this:

DoctorWhoTweet: "RT if your River Song theory did turn out to be correct."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: June 06, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »
That was great as well!  :lol

As was this tweet:
"Only one death threat, two demands for my immediate resignation, and two for my suicide.  ITS A HIT!"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #810 on: June 06, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
I think having Steven Moffat on twitter genuinely makes the world a better place.

He also retweeted some fucking maniac who posted "Retweet if you have ever felt personally victimized by Steven Moffat." Which is the funniest possible response (I checked on a graph and everything) but I can't find it in my heart to have anything but contempt for whoever wrote that. Even if you're not a fan of what he's done with the show - jesus christ.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: June 06, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »
I think having Steven Moffat on twitter genuinely makes the world a better place.

He also retweeted some fucking maniac who posted "Retweet if you have ever felt personally victimized by Steven Moffat." Which is the funniest possible response (I checked on a graph and everything) but I can't find it in my heart to have anything but contempt for whoever wrote that. Even if you're not a fan of what he's done with the show - jesus christ.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

That guy probably feels like a dick, but Moffatt is one of those entertainment guys who seems to do a really good job handling negative comments on the Internet.  So nothing but huge respect for him.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #812 on: June 06, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
A Judoon platoon upon the moon... :laugh:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #813 on: June 06, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »
I bet Moffat is LOVING all the hate he's getting from the cynics, because he knows that there will always be some people who hate something, and the amount of love he's getting must easily outweigh it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #815 on: June 07, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
Yep, saw that. Great stuff!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #816 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
I've ended up loving the show, and I decided to just continue on from where I started at season 3.  Assuming my interest keeps up, I'll revisit the first two seasons after I'm all caught up with the present season, which I'm currently loving.  As far as favorites for season 3, I'd say "Blink" and the "Human Nature/Family of Blood" episodes.  Season four was just a slight bit less strong, partly due to the new woman companion Donna, who was fairly annoying at times, but it was still very strong.  For a favorite from 4 I'd probably go with "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead".  Excellent episode.

So I've gotten a fair bit into the fifth, and, while the new guy isn't quite up to par with the doctor from the last two seasons, who was absolutely brilliant, he does quite a nice job, and besides that I think the show has actually made considerable improvement, not only in the obviously stronger production and visual value (there was some iffy costume work/special effects in some of the previous episodes) but in the writing and consistency as well.  So, even with the slight setback of lacking the previous doctor, I think it's actually possibly better than ever now.  The new companion is certainly easier on the eyes and ears than previous redheads who have traveled with him, as well. 

So, long story short, I'm totally captivated by the show.  At this rate, I'll have finished it within a week or two.  Maybe I should slow it down just a bit, make it last.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #817 on: June 08, 2011, 04:19:24 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

That guy probably feels like a dick, but Moffatt is one of those entertainment guys who seems to do a really good job handling negative comments on the Internet.  So nothing but huge respect for him.

I thought the initial tweet was just a joke. *shrug*
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #818 on: June 08, 2011, 04:34:50 AM »
I've ended up loving the show, and I decided to just continue on from where I started at season 3.  Assuming my interest keeps up, I'll revisit the first two seasons after I'm all caught up with the present season, which I'm currently loving.  As far as favorites for season 3, I'd say "Blink" and the "Human Nature/Family of Blood" episodes.  Season four was just a slight bit less strong, partly due to the new woman companion Donna, who was fairly annoying at times, but it was still very strong.  For a favorite from 4 I'd probably go with "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead".  Excellent episode.

So I've gotten a fair bit into the fifth, and, while the new guy isn't quite up to par with the doctor from the last two seasons, who was absolutely brilliant, he does quite a nice job, and besides that I think the show has actually made considerable improvement, not only in the obviously stronger production and visual value (there was some iffy costume work/special effects in some of the previous episodes) but in the writing and consistency as well.  So, even with the slight setback of lacking the previous doctor, I think it's actually possibly better than ever now.  The new companion is certainly easier on the eyes and ears than previous redheads who have traveled with him, as well. 

So, long story short, I'm totally captivated by the show.  At this rate, I'll have finished it within a week or two.  Maybe I should slow it down just a bit, make it last.
Oh, fantastic! Glad you're loving it.

Incidentally, from series 5 onwards, a new guy takes over as head writer - fella called Steven Moffat.

Which might not mean much to you as a name, but before that point, he wrote one episode every series. These were Blink in series 3, and Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead in series 4. Yes, they gave the entire show to that one guy!

Also, you know that stronger production and visual value? Series 5 was filmed on a lower budget than series 4! I'm still overwhelmed by that, only found out recently. Absolutely stunning that they made it go that far. I love Matt Smith even more than I did David Tennant, myself, but they're both cracking - can't blame you for preferring Tennant. Smith might grow on you.

Which episode are you up to in series 5? It's my favourite series so far, so I've kinda got to ask. :hat

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: June 08, 2011, 07:09:05 AM »
Don't worry Seth.  You'll realize that Donna was the best companion soon. 

And I too prefer Matt to David, but David is amazing so I can't fault you for that one.  And you should love series five since Steven Moffat has written all your favorite episodes so far.  :lol

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: June 08, 2011, 07:13:18 AM »
I prefer Matt a lot to David.   :tup

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #821 on: June 08, 2011, 08:04:21 AM »
The Doctor tells her that it was before America.

Well the fact that the child was conceived during the Christmas special leads me to believe otherwise. I don't think Moffat would have Amy kidnapped at an undetermined time between seasons; he'd rather have it happen right under our noses.

I did wonder at the time why the Silence cleaned her face after they captured her at the orphanage. Maybe it's because they didn't...

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #822 on: June 08, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »

Incidentally, from series 5 onwards, a new guy takes over as head writer - fella called Steven Moffat.

Which might not mean much to you as a name, but before that point, he wrote one episode every series. These were Blink in series 3, and Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead in series 4. Yes, they gave the entire show to that one guy!

Also, you know that stronger production and visual value? Series 5 was filmed on a lower budget than series 4! I'm still overwhelmed by that, only found out recently. Absolutely stunning that they made it go that far. I love Matt Smith even more than I did David Tennant, myself, but they're both cracking - can't blame you for preferring Tennant. Smith might grow on you.

Which episode are you up to in series 5? It's my favourite series so far, so I've kinda got to ask. :hat

Ah, that's really amazing about the budget being lower for series 5, I don't think I would have ever guessed that!  I'm also liking this Smith bloke more and more, and considering that I thought he was great initially that says a lot.  In fact, I might come to regret having said that Tennant was better.  I'll have to see.  Smith has seemingly morphed the personality of the doctor a considerable bit but he's generally done a good job of keeping the character similar. 

As far as where I am, my last episode was the one with the two dream worlds, and boy, it was a great one.  Another particularly strong one was the 2-part return of the stone angels.  I feel like the story is really going somewhere with the whole cracking of the skin of the universe thing.  I'll wait to see how it all ties together, but as things are shaping up right now I think I'm enjoying series 5 more than any of the previous ones, which, again, says a whole lot.  I might actually finish the rest of the series tonight, I've been unable to put it down. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #823 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
The Doctor tells her that it was before America.

Well the fact that the child was conceived during the Christmas special leads me to believe otherwise. I don't think Moffat would have Amy kidnapped at an undetermined time between seasons; he'd rather have it happen right under our noses.

I did wonder at the time why the Silence cleaned her face after they captured her at the orphanage. Maybe it's because they didn't...
I don't think the Silence had anything to do with making Amy into a ganger. But I'll post my guess once Clairvoyant's caught up.

Ah, that's really amazing about the budget being lower for series 5, I don't think I would have ever guessed that!  I'm also liking this Smith bloke more and more, and considering that I thought he was great initially that says a lot.  In fact, I might come to regret having said that Tennant was better.  I'll have to see.  Smith has seemingly morphed the personality of the doctor a considerable bit but he's generally done a good job of keeping the character similar. 

As far as where I am, my last episode was the one with the two dream worlds, and boy, it was a great one.  Another particularly strong one was the 2-part return of the stone angels.  I feel like the story is really going somewhere with the whole cracking of the skin of the universe thing.  I'll wait to see how it all ties together, but as things are shaping up right now I think I'm enjoying series 5 more than any of the previous ones, which, again, says a whole lot.  I might actually finish the rest of the series tonight, I've been unable to put it down. 
Ohhhh, you're a clever man. And then move onto series 6! The midseason finale just aired this week. It's a corker.

Series 1-4 (1 less than 2, 3 and 4) all looked a little bit too bright and shiny, for my taste. I liked 'em, but it was all very exuberant and fangless. Series 5 looks like a film. The effects are gorgeous, the sets lavish - it's a case of making so very little go such a long way. Absolutely magnificent job. My favourite series.

In fact, I'm just now remembering how favourite it is. Tempted to change my avatar back to the Doctor. Wouldn't hurt.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #824 on: June 08, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
Doctor noob here... just watched the first episode of the first season (2005 series) Liked it!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #825 on: June 08, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »
Doctor noob here... just watched the first episode of the first season (2005 series) Liked it!
Oh crikey! Interesting start.

I went into that episode with no expectations, and really liked it. On its first broadcast actually - Doctor Who was a really outdated TV show at the time, but I liked aliens and stuff so I was a little curious, wondered what they'd make of it in the modern era. It changed absolutely everything I understood by the phrase "Doctor Who," which I previously took to be a fairly archaic series that dads would like. In retrospect, though, it's not one of my favourites. It seems quite old-fashioned now - primordial. Fun! But ooooooh, just wait. It pales.

I usually always recommend that people start with The Eleventh Hour, which doesn't come until series 5... but, hey! You've started there, I'd keep ploughing through the whole thing. The series evolves so much. If you liked Rose, you'll love what's to come. Each series better than the last - and that's not something I often get to say.

What was your favourite bit?!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #826 on: June 08, 2011, 01:18:59 PM »
Oh crikey! Interesting start.

I went into that episode with no expectations, and really liked it. On its first broadcast actually - Doctor Who was a really outdated TV show at the time, but I liked aliens and stuff so I was a little curious, wondered what they'd make of it in the modern era. It changed absolutely everything I understood by the phrase "Doctor Who," which I previously took to be a fairly archaic series that dads would like. In retrospect, though, it's not one of my favourites. It seems quite old-fashioned now - primordial. Fun! But ooooooh, just wait.

I usually always recommend that people start with The Eleventh Hour, which doesn't come until series 5... but, man. The series evolves so much. If you liked Rose, you'll love what's to come.

What was your favourite bit?!

I've been a fan of Billie Piper since Secret Diary of a Call Girl, though I never looked into any other performances of hers. Seeing her was a bit of a surprise, but cool. I'm not sure I have a favorite bit, I like that its a bit campy. I expect it (although I could be wrong) to turn into a x-files like show with a monster-of-the-week story line. Funny episodes mixed with some serious. It doesn't immediately draw me into the show, but I will watch more to see if it grows (which I fully expect it to).

Offline robwebster

« Reply #827 on: June 08, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
Part of me is tempted to tell you to take a sneak peek at The Eleventh Hour... it's four series down the line, but it doesn't give any of the game away on its own, and it's genuinely the best starting point any TV series has ever featured.

Basically, the Doctor can change his face (he evaluates it in Rose - comments on his ears!), and The Eleventh Hour is the first episode in a new face. The Doctor's new, the companion's new, everything's new, and it doesn't spoil anything of the previous four series. I'd consider that to be the litmus test. It's one of my favourite episodes - it's a bog standard episode of Doctor Who, alien of the week and all (yes! you called it!) but it's a brilliant bog standard episode.

But on the other hand! If you're willing to keep going, then definitely do. It might only be through my jaded fan-eyes that I've started to find series 1 a little off. There's a lot to love about it... I just know that there's so much more to love by series 2, 3, 4, 5... and, so far, 6! I don't think there's any harm in treating yourself to S5E1 and then sliding back to S1E2, though. Not for a second.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #828 on: June 08, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »
WUT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #829 on: June 08, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #830 on: June 08, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »
Seth, so glad you're digging the show!

Interesting to see that you've picked up on the strength of story arcs in Series 5. That's one thing that's got a LOT stronger with Moffat in charge - keeping running threads throughout the series. Davies did it a bit and sometimes did it really well, but it just feels more epic the way Moffat does it. The man is a genius!

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #832 on: June 08, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »
Here's a pretty interesting tidbit in the form of a usenet post by Steve Moffat, given the date (though the fact that it's a usenet post should be some indication of the date in and of itself :lol): https://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.drwho/browse_thread/thread/7cd734f99a62ae98/c845f05e9b213df9?lnk=st&q&hl=en&pli=1#c845f05e9b213df9
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #833 on: June 08, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »
My friend was telling me about that yesterday, pretty cool that he's obviously always been interested in the Doctor's name and what it means, and is bringing that theme into the show right now.

EDIT: Apparently there's also a post from him on there about the fact that clearly the Doctor has had a bit of rumpy pumpy in the past as right from the very start back in 1963 he had a granddaughter, and that people shouldn't get so upset by the prospect of him having romantic interests.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: June 10, 2011, 06:21:23 AM »
Steven Moffat makes a good point about the romantic interests thing.

But here's something I just realized when I watched "The Time of Angels" last night.  At the beginning, when the Doctor and Amy are in the museum, the Doctor refers to it as "The final resting place of the headless monks"

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Steven Moffat is a crafty bastard.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: June 10, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »
Wow that is pretty awesome  :) Never noticed that!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #836 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:11 AM »

Indeed. I wonder how he's able to write an absolutely badass storyline without getting lost in the whole "Whoniverse", meaning that in the end, everything (or mostly everything, I still haven't seen all episodes yet) is still in its place and makes sense, even with really obscure references.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: June 10, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that still needs to be answered.  Motives of the headless monks, motives of the Silence, what Kevorian wants to do with the child to make it a weapon, why the church needs a weapon like that in the first place, what the deal is with Rory's centurion memories, and how and when the universe got all those little cracks in season 5.  Plus others I don't remember off the top of my head.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #838 on: June 10, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »
Steven Moffat makes a good point about the romantic interests thing.

But here's something I just realized when I watched "The Time of Angels" last night.  At the beginning, when the Doctor and Amy are in the museum, the Doctor refers to it as "The final resting place of the headless monks"

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Yeah, that's because River knows that he'll visit there one day, leaves the note to go off to Planet 1. Great way to do it though!

Edit: Also, just watching WAGMGTO again, and there is a big, yet, subtle hints as to who Melody really is. For instance, the hint is when River says it's her birthday. A very big hint!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:33:58 PM by adameastment »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #839 on: June 12, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
Now that there's a bit of a break in the Whoniverse, I was wondering how people in this thread would rank certain things, now that we've got a fair few more fans than we've ever had before!

Favourite Doctors:
1. Matt Smith (11)
2. Tom Baker (4)
3. David Tennant (10)
4. Patrick Troughton (2)
5. Christopher Eccleston (9)
6. Jon Pertwee (3) / William Hartnell (1)

Those last two I can't decide between, both have some great aspects and some that are less great. The rest are all fab though! I haven't seen much of Doctors 5-8 yet, still making my way through the classic years.

Favourite two stories from each series:
S1: The Long Game and The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances
S2: The Girl in the Fireplace and Army of Ghosts / Doomsday
S3: Human Nature / The Family of Blood and Blink
S4: Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead and Midnight
S5: The Beast Below and Vincent and the Doctor
S6 so far: The Doctor's Wife
Out of all the specials: The End of Time parts 1 and 2

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:32:17 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.