Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216533 times)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #735 on: May 29, 2011, 03:31:40 PM »
Going back to the Eccleston episodes 'cos I'm in a major Dr Who mood. I forgot how much I loved Rose!!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #736 on: May 29, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
One thing I'm liking about having Amy and Rory for a second series is that there is more (and subtler) character development for the companions. And River as well I guess! Martha and Donna were great and all but their development was a little rushed I think.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #737 on: May 29, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »
OH MY GOD

THAT EPISODE

OH MY GOD

Thisthisthis. Wow I'm amazed and confused and astounded and grinning for ear to ear. I love it when everything gets turned on its head.

Potential Spoilers

Also did anyone else notice a little continuity error involving the sonic? The Doctor who got knocked unconscious had the sonic and ended up with Rory in the main room using it on the holophone, yet at the same time the other Doctor was scanning the acid pool in the crypt. There could be two sonics, but that doesn't make sense because they were tossing it back and forth. I might be completely wrong but it kind of bothers me now that I think about it.

Other than that absolutely mind-blowing episode.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: May 29, 2011, 06:56:19 PM »
Hey, guys. Remember back when Doctor Who used to makes sense?

Doctor Who never makes sense.  How did the Doctor link up with the archangel network and become God in "Last of the Time Lords?"  ;)  Once I got past that, though, I started enjoying the series a lot more.  :D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #739 on: May 29, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »
Also did anyone else notice a little continuity error involving the sonic? The Doctor who got knocked unconscious had the sonic and ended up with Rory in the main room using it on the holophone, yet at the same time the other Doctor was scanning the acid pool in the crypt. There could be two sonics, but that doesn't make sense because they were tossing it back and forth. I might be completely wrong but it kind of bothers me now that I think about it.
Yep, I caught that too. Only explanation I can think of - the Flesh cloned the sonic screwdriver, too, and when they tossed it back and forth they were just idly mucking about with it.

'Course, the scene was filmed too deliberately for that to have ever been the intention, but it works in-universe. I figure it's just a rewrite gone astray. Maybe one of the Doctors was meant to use one of those human-only control panels, but it would've given away which one was human and which one wasn't a little too soon.

EDIT: Ah! Just remembered. Definitely two sonics! Gangerdoctor melts Jennifer with his, and then Doctordoctor melts Amy with his. The sonic-tossing was just misdirection. Or something from an old draft that they should really have taken out.

The only thing that was missing was Amy in Flesh-makeup. Would've been a wonderful image, but I suppose it wouldn't make sense what with the TARDIS having stabilised the Gangers. She could've perhaps reverted before the Doctor dissolved her, though. I'm sure they could've shoehorned the image in somewhere. It's probably an expensive aesthetic, mind.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:34:52 PM by robwebster »

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #740 on: May 30, 2011, 03:57:24 AM »
Hey, guys. Remember back when Doctor Who used to makes sense?

Doctor Who never makes sense.  How did the Doctor link up with the archangel network and become God in "Last of the Time Lords?"  ;)  Once I got past that, though, I started enjoying the series a lot more.  :D

Yeah, that's by far the biggest "...what?" moment in Doctor Who so far. :D
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #741 on: May 30, 2011, 06:26:21 AM »
The only thing that was missing was Amy in Flesh-makeup. Would've been a wonderful image, but I suppose it wouldn't make sense what with the TARDIS having stabilised the Gangers. She could've perhaps reverted before the Doctor dissolved her, though. I'm sure they could've shoehorned the image in somewhere. It's probably an expensive aesthetic, mind.
Also, as far as I understand it, the Amy ganger wasn't cut off from the real Amy, the connection was there right up until the Doctor zapped her, so there wouldn't have been an issue with stabilisation regardless of the TARDIS.

Also, I really can't believe none of us even considered what was actually happening, considering all the clues thrown in which become more apparent on second viewing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:06:07 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #742 on: May 30, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »
Also, as far as I understand it, the Amy ganger wasn't cut off from the real Amy, the connection was there right up until the Doctor zapped her, so there wouldn't have been an issue with stabilisation regardless of the TARDIS.

Yeah, that was my understanding as well.

Regardless, I think it had a lot more impact without showing her in flesh-makeup. Like, right up until she gets melted there was still just a 'wtf no way is this possible' feeling to the entire thing.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #743 on: May 30, 2011, 07:22:51 AM »

Also, I really can't believe none of us even considered what was actually happening, considering all the clues thrown in which become more apparent on second viewing.
I know! All that timeline bollocks, with Amy having to choose between two different timelines... we'd been spouting absolute nonsense! Well - me, specifically, but it's like... everyone was so busy considering the possibility that the Doctor could have a significant clone that nobody even considered either of the others.

And yeah, agreed - the Amyganger is a functioning avatar, rather than a defective clone. Hence the visions of the hatch-lady etc.

One of the more ridiculous theories is that the light at the end of her pod is a Dalek peering into her downstairs smile. Frankly though, I don't know anything about the next episode and I don't want to. I know the Eyepatch lady's name, I know the names of some returning creatures from the BBC website... and that's it!

Most significantly, those fellas with the hoods? I know nothing about them. Not who they are, not what they are, not what they represent... and yet, they're the main monsters! As far as I can tell. This is the first time in years I've not known what the villain is. I knew about the Silence, I knew there would be a Siren, I figured House would be the villain and I knew about the gangers... but these guys? Not a sausage. Never seen them before in my life.

And yet, according to this... https://www.cultbox.co.uk/interviews/exclusives/1110-charlie-baker-doctor-who-interview

"They are classic behind-the-sofa baddies that are bound to give kids nightmares. I won't be letting my four year-old watch it! I thought the Silence were pretty scary but these guys are so much more."

Saturday can't come soon enough.

Yeah, that was my understanding as well.

Regardless, I think it had a lot more impact without showing her in flesh-makeup. Like, right up until she gets melted there was still just a 'wtf no way is this possible' feeling to the entire thing.
I'd just have liked to see the image, to be honest. Even for just a second as she melts. She's stabilised, of course, but the Doctor unravels her. I think it'd be quite a significant picture. Then again, I think that might've just been 'cause I adore the make-up.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #744 on: May 30, 2011, 07:25:46 AM »
Oh, and cheeky bit of speculation... could these be the headless monks?

I like the idea of them taking their hoods down to reveal absolutely nothing. Not like the spec's done me any good before, mind. Steven Moffat, how does your mind work?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #745 on: May 30, 2011, 11:49:17 AM »

hmmm

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #746 on: May 30, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
:lol I actually love Steven Moffat.

He also said in a recent interview that he has intentionally brought back cliffhangers to Doctor Who, because for all that it does well, New Who has been severely lacking in them. And now that I think about it, I agree with him SO MUCH. Cliffhangers make me want to see the next episode so badly!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #747 on: May 30, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
I think cliffhangers can be a pretty cheap storytelling device.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: May 30, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
Its pretty dang effective.  Its a great way to get people really invested in what happens next.  Dickens discovered this a century or so ago and it still works.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #749 on: June 01, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
Finished Series 5. I still have a hard time really buying Amy and Rory.

Maybe I'm just jealous of Rory.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #750 on: June 01, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
I totally see why. (about to start S5E10, by the way).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #751 on: June 01, 2011, 01:03:45 PM »
Re-watched Human Nature/Family of Blood last night.

Yep, definatley my favourite episodes.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #752 on: June 02, 2011, 06:55:11 AM »
Great episodes  :tup

A Good Man Goes To War teasers

1. Remember not to interact with the headless monks (without divine permission)

2. "Oh turn it off. I'm breaking in, not out!"

3. The Doctor calls on favours from a number of familiar faces

4. "They don't put up a balloon or anything!"

5. A line from a previous episode takes on a new significance.

6. "****** ******** is a geography teacher, ****** **** is a superhero"

7. Sontarans can produce a tasty drink.

8. Rory: "That's probably enough ******* now"

9. River Song's true identity is revealed in the episode's final moments.

10. The (frankly brilliant) title to episode eight is revealed before the end credits roll.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #753 on: June 02, 2011, 07:03:45 AM »
Aaaaaargh I can't believe I'm going to be out and have to catch up on iplayer! :'(

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: June 02, 2011, 07:06:37 AM »
 :( That's sad.  Also can't believe this is the last episode until September  :(

Offline robwebster

« Reply #755 on: June 02, 2011, 08:43:27 AM »
I've heard a rumoured title of Ep 8. And yes, it's brilliant. But very audacious.

Not going to spoil it here (if I'm honest I wish I hadn't read the rumour), but the title I'd heard has the initials LKH. I'm also hoping it's wrong, 'cause I love a surprise.

Also, judging by teaser 1, this might be one of the very few times one of my bits of speculation turns out to be right. I wondered if they might've been the headless monks! I love the idea that they pull down their hoods to reveal absolutely nothing.

While we're speculating, my guess as to River Song's identity is that she's a spy. Now let's see how wrong I am.

Teaser 8... "That's probably enough kissing now," perhaps?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »
Teaser 6 might be "...Amelia Pond is a superhero?  And yep I saw that episode title too, and there is filming photo's to back up that up too.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #757 on: June 02, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »
Would someone kindly send me the name of Episode 8? :D

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #758 on: June 02, 2011, 06:23:07 PM »
Would someone kindly send me the name of Episode 8? :D

Apparently it's called "Lets Kill Hitler".

Offline adameastment

« Reply #759 on: June 02, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »

Apparently it's called "Lets Kill Hitler".

Well, from the images around, it seems like it's set in that era, lots of vehicles and stuff of that time. Helmets especially.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #760 on: June 03, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »
Come on. There's got to be some fans here.

If you've never seen the new series, I'm not going to faff about, just watch the following trailer. It's for the next episode (November 15th!) and it looks AMAZING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqEsspZkac0

Best show on television. Ever. I'm stupidly excited.

Just watched this, my first Doctor Who episode. I really like it!

Offline adameastment

« Reply #761 on: June 03, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »
Someone came up with something interesting earlier today, River Song's name especially. Amy's daughter is going to be named Melody.
The name Pond = River, Melody = Song, relation maybe?

I also want to know who the "good man" is. I highly doubt it is the doctor, since he appears in Episode 8, or at least the pictures. Which means, the Good Man isn't the doctor. Apparently according to the spoilers when River announces who she is, it's a real twist. I wonder if she is actually a Time Lady? Which makes me wonder, when the hell will Moffat bring Jenny back?!

I don't think that the hooded people in the last 2010 episode is accidental, I think they are there intentionally.

Who do we think River actually is?

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #762 on: June 03, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »
Someone came up with something interesting earlier today, River Song's name especially. Amy's daughter is going to be named Melody.
The name Pond = River, Melody = Song, relation maybe?

I also want to know who the "good man" is. I highly doubt it is the doctor, since he appears in Episode 8, or at least the pictures. Which means, the Good Man isn't the doctor. Apparently according to the spoilers when River announces who she is, it's a real twist. I wonder if she is actually a Time Lady? Which makes me wonder, when the hell will Moffat bring Jenny back?!

I don't think that the hooded people in the last 2010 episode is accidental, I think they are there intentionally.

Who do we think River actually is?

Well, the rumor that's gathering the most attention at the moment is:

River is possibly the child of Rory and Amy.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #763 on: June 04, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »

If you've never seen the new series, I'm not going to faff about, just watch the following trailer. It's for the next episode (November 15th!) and it looks AMAZING.

Welcome to the cool kids' club.  :hat

Feels like the fastest growing corner of the board right now. Also feels like an appropriate time to tell you the same thing I say to everyone - if you feel like catching more, The Eleventh Hour is the single best episode to start with.

Teeniest sliver of backstory should you choose to pick it up - you won't recognise any of the cast. But it'll all make sense by the end of the hour. TEH is a jumping on point - designed so you can get straight into the action without worrying about everything that's come before. It's also a one-stop guide to everything you need to know about Doctor Who, and a pretty fantastic episode to boot. And from there, you can just work forwards.

Good luck!

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #764 on: June 04, 2011, 08:03:47 AM »

Welcome to the cool kids' club.  :hat

Feels like the fastest growing corner of the board right now. Also feels like an appropriate time to tell you the same thing I say to everyone - if you feel like catching more, The Eleventh Hour is the single best episode to start with.

Teeniest sliver of backstory should you choose to pick it up - you won't recognise any of the cast. But it'll all make sense by the end of the hour. TEH is a jumping on point - designed so you can get straight into the action without worrying about everything that's come before. It's also a one-stop guide to everything you need to know about Doctor Who, and a pretty fantastic episode to boot. And from there, you can just work forwards.

Good luck!

Yeah, but would mean missing four seasons of the best show ever made :biggrin:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #765 on: June 04, 2011, 08:13:19 AM »
Yeah but he can go back and watch series 1-4 and the 2009 specials afterwards. But starting from TEH means quickly catching up! And like Rob says, it really does work well as an introduction, in the same way that Rose did.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #766 on: June 04, 2011, 08:21:33 AM »
Yeah but he can go back and watch series 1-4 and the 2009 specials afterwards. But starting from TEH means quickly catching up! And like Rob says, it really does work well as an introduction, in the same way that Rose did.

I suppose, it's just Doctor Who is one of the very few programmes that I've watched from the beginning (Well, since 2005 at least), and I can't imagine watching series 5 without knowing about CE and DT :P

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #767 on: June 04, 2011, 08:24:34 AM »
Yeah I know what you mean. Although I don't think Rose is a particularly good starting point - for some reason the production values on that episode really aren't very good. The effects are weak and the music is pretty tacky. When I saw it I wasn't put off because I'd seen part II of The End of Time first (yeah, strange place to start I know :lol).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #768 on: June 04, 2011, 08:27:39 AM »
Yeah I know what you mean. Although I don't think Rose is a particularly good starting point - for some reason the production values on that episode really aren't very good. The effects are weak and the music is pretty tacky. When I saw it I wasn't put off because I'd seen part II of The End of Time first (yeah, strange place to start I know :lol).

Well in all fairness, it is six years old :lol I think I'm one of the few people who not onlt love Rose, but her mother and Mickey too :laugh:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #769 on: June 04, 2011, 08:30:07 AM »
Oh I like the characters, I just thought that first episode wasn't very slick, although it's still very entertaining. But it's not just the fact that it's 6 years old, because the very next episode looks and sounds pretty great!

I be am boner inducing.