Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216458 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #665 on: May 24, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »
Aye! It seems a little callous for the Doctor - not to mention, the Ganger had the same idea at the same time, so the Ganger Doctor would want to sentence the real Doctor to death - but it's definitely plausible. Certainly cuts his odds.

ALSO! While we're on the subject of theories - I can't take any credit whatsoever for this, but someone I know has a theory about Amy's pregnancy, and it's simultaneously both the most brilliant and the cruellest theory I've heard.

Essentially... we think the baby's from a different timeline, most of us? Two different histories, competing for space. But two different causalities means two different chains of events, that are - apparently - constantly overlapping.

What if, towards the end of the series, Amy has to choose between those two timelines? The one where she's pregnant, or the one where she's not.

Simple enough, but there's one problem...

...what if the timeline with the pregnancy is the timeline where the Doctor dies?

I have no idea whether this is plausible - the two events are very probably totally irrelevant - but I really love it. And am jealous of my friend's mind.
Oh man, that is such an awesome theory, and if it's right then it's such a brilliant idea! Still doesn't explain who the young Time Lord girl is though...

My theory is that Amy goes back to 1935 Austria and has an accidental one night stand with a guy named Erwin.
Oh man that is such an awesome theory.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: May 24, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
A theory my new roommate and I have been discussing is an overlapping of universes.  Sometimes one universe, sometimes another created by big bang 2, which would explain Rory's memories of being an auton and Amy's pregnancy.  So it kinda goes along with that alternate timeline deal Rob's been cooking up.  If that's the case, perhaps one timeline doesn't involve Rory at all and that young girl actually is The Doctor and Amy's child...

I also agree that the Doctor's probably figured out his future death and this could be an attempt to avert it.  I don't think he'll succeed though for lots of reasons I can't really articulate clearly right now (I've edited this post about five times). 

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #667 on: May 24, 2011, 03:36:03 PM »
In the end, it's all timey whimey.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: May 24, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
Wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #669 on: May 24, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
A theory my new roommate and I have been discussing is an overlapping of universes.  Sometimes one universe, sometimes another created by big bang 2, which would explain Rory's memories of being an auton and Amy's pregnancy.  So it kinda goes along with that alternate timeline deal Rob's been cooking up.  If that's the case, perhaps one timeline doesn't involve Rory at all and that young girl actually is The Doctor and Amy's child...

I also agree that the Doctor's probably figured out his future death and this could be an attempt to avert it.  I don't think he'll succeed though for lots of reasons I can't really articulate clearly right now (I've edited this post about five times). 
But if the initial Timeline was "deleted" then how would there be two? Effectively you are wiping one timeline out and restoring the whole thing. Like a format on a computer, you delete it all only to reinstall later.

I like the idea though.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #670 on: May 24, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »
Jesus. Christ. Just finished the Season 3 finale. With The Master. That was just so spectacular. Everything about that was so spectacular.

And the Face of Boe hint. I just. Can't even. Fucking love this show.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #671 on: May 24, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
Hahahahaha!

Ohhh I love getting the journey through other people!

What did you think of the end of Utopia?! The Sound of Drums is my favourite of the trilogy, but the last ten minutes of Utopia are so intense!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #672 on: May 24, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
Oh jesus that was awesome. At first I thought he was somehow going to be the boy from Family of Blood. I thought maybe he absorbed some time lord essence. Maybe he's regenerated a few times. Maybe it's been so long for him he's forgotten.

Of course, I was way off. But that's half the fun.

And then when they start talking more about what those robotic orbs were and The Master starts talking about creating a new Galifrey. I assumed they were shrunken, aged Time Lords that had gone mad in the vortex or something.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #673 on: May 24, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »
Crikey, I'd forgotten about that! The trilogy's so inextricably linked to the Master in my head that I can't help but forget about the Toclafane. Dead creepy. And yeah, I was thinking along similar lines! And then it turned out to be even worse.

I sometimes forget how brilliant Russell T Davies is. I've kind of got an obsession with Steven Moffat's style, but Russell is an absolutely glorious writer who had a job that was even harder than Moffat's ever has been. Utopia to Last of the Time Lords is a phenomenal stretch. There's only like one scene I'm a little lukewarm about across the whole three episodes, and while it's an important scene, the other stuff is so golden that I couldn't care less about it. What a story.

And, the best is yet to come! From both writers. Part of me wishes you could watch every remaining episode in one day, furnishing us with detailed summaries of every single "OMG!" moment. I'm as excited for you to continue the journey as you are. (Well, probably not as excited, but certainly pumped.)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #674 on: May 24, 2011, 08:53:31 PM »
Incidentally, by my reckoning, if you started from The Christmas Invasion, you've so far met... Rose, Mickey, Donna, Martha, and Captain Jack Harkness. In that order, I think? How are you feeling about all of the so-far companions? Got a favourite yet?

And, come to think of it, the pre-titles to Utopia must've been dead weird for you! How quickly did you work out what Captain Jack was all about?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #675 on: May 24, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
My first thought about Jack was that maybe he was the "other" the face was talking about. Turns out I was wrong...ish. He's a time agent, who has been made a fixed point in time by the power of the vortex. I wasn't really that far off base.

As for favorites, I'd say Martha and Jack. Rose and Mickey I found annoying. Though Mickey got better near the end. AS for Donna, I've only really seen her just the once. I didn't like her much. What Lance said about her pretty much summed up everything I kind of thought about her just from that episode. Though the episode was pretty awesome.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #676 on: May 24, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
Yeah, off the back of The Runaway Bride, I didn't think that much of Donna. Then again, I wasn't a big fan of The Runaway Bride in any respect, so hey ho!

I think Martha and Jack are pretty good calls! Jack, in particular, while effectively the braun of the TARDIS team has a wonderfully happy-go-lucky kind of attitude to his adventures with the Doctor. Dead pleasant fella. And yeah, it looks like you picked up more or less everything you needed to pretty damn quickly! Which is ace. I've always wondered how clearly stuff like that would transfer. Crystal clear, it turns out! And all conveyed effortlessly.

Any favourite episodes, yet?

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #677 on: May 24, 2011, 09:37:15 PM »
My companion rankings for New Who:

Amy
Donna
Rose
Martha

I'm not too sure about the position of Rose and Martha; Rose had her share of strong moments, as well as some weak ones, whereas Martha didn't really have many moments at all (the show kept acknowledging that she was just sort of a replacement for Rose, and I'm not sure that was ever challenged).

Donna gets better though. I hated her in the Runaway Bride, but she gelled with Tennant incredibly well during Season 4, enough to make her the best companion of the RTD era for me.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #678 on: May 24, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
Runaway Bride got better when he actually started fighting the Racnoss. Espescially the scene where he sets them on fire and he's just standing there looking badass.

And it really is. It's written so well. There's plenty of exposition to catch people up. But it's in no way clunky or awkward.

As for favorites? Jesus, I don't know. They're all just so good. The easier answer would be which ones I like less. And that list only includes New Earth, The Idiot's Lantern, Love & Monsters, and The Lazarus Experiment.

Runaway Bridge get's a pass from that list just because of the second half.

But basically, I love it all except fora few that I love a little less.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: May 24, 2011, 10:04:40 PM »
Love and Monsters is easily my least favorite, followed by The Doctor's Daughter. That episodes plays out like a fanfic.  :\

A funny thing that happened to me after Rose:

After Doomsday, I thought the other companions were going to go through the same process as Rose. They'd be whisked away, fall in love, and be separated in some horrible way. I had to look up some small things in Wikipedia to kind of spoil a little bit because I was seriously debating never watching again just because I didn't want to go through all that emotionally again.  :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #680 on: May 25, 2011, 04:46:40 AM »
Runaway Bride got better when he actually started fighting the Racnoss. Espescially the scene where he sets them on fire and he's just standing there looking badass.

And it really is. It's written so well. There's plenty of exposition to catch people up. But it's in no way clunky or awkward.

As for favorites? Jesus, I don't know. They're all just so good. The easier answer would be which ones I like less. And that list only includes New Earth, The Idiot's Lantern, Love & Monsters, and The Lazarus Experiment.

Runaway Bridge get's a pass from that list just because of the second half.

But basically, I love it all except fora few that I love a little less.
Hahahaha, oh dear. I'd forgotten The Idiot's Lantern existed. I do love Mark Gatiss but "FEED ME!" was a lot funnier than it was meant to be.

Some nice direction, though. Dutch angles, I think they're called?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #681 on: May 25, 2011, 08:28:06 AM »
Just finished Partners In Crime....and Rose was at the end. But then she disappeared.  wat. I don't even. Where is this going? How is this even.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: May 25, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
Sounds about right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #683 on: May 25, 2011, 10:48:22 AM »
Welcome to series 4!

My favourite of the RTD era.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #684 on: May 25, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »
So I watched The Impossible Astronaut (and every other episode in Series 6 :P) and have started at the beginning of season 5. I finished the first part of Weeping Angels last night.

So, so, so good.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: May 25, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
 :tup

Love that two-parter as well.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #686 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
So I watched The Impossible Astronaut (and every other episode in Series 6 :P) and have started at the beginning of season 5. I finished the first part of Weeping Angels last night.

So, so, so good.
Oh fantastic!! Jesus, you've been busy.

I ask everyone this but it's because I'm genuinely interested and am intensely jealous of the journey that you've got ahead of you - what do you reckon?! To everything. Best episodes, Rory or Amy, best monsters, most exciting bit... how the devil is it all?

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #687 on: May 25, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
Doctor Who seriously is the best TV show ever. There's just nothing that compares to it.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #688 on: May 25, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
YES! DOCTOR WHO FEVER IS SPREADING! :D

Jesus. Christ. Just finished the Season 3 finale. With The Master. That was just so spectacular. Everything about that was so spectacular.

And the Face of Boe hint. I just. Can't even. Fucking love this show.
Series 4 is great and all, and so far I love the Moffatt-era even more than the RTD era, but honestly the end of Series 3 is one of the greatest things ever. The way it all comes together at the end of Utopia is proper genius.

Some more great theories here. The idea of universes overlapping would also fit in with the story in Curse of the Black Spot.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: May 25, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
The last six episodes of Season 3 are fantastic, as is the entire fourth season, but so is the entire Fifth season.  Doctor Who is kind of on a roll right now in quality television.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #690 on: May 27, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »
1. There's fleeting cameos (of sorts) from both Tom Baker and David Tennant.

2. "I'll break out the big guns."

3. Listen carefully - the two Doctors briefly discuss an old foe...

4. The two Jennifers engage in a fight to the death.

5. "Being almost The Doctor's like being no Doctor at all."

6. Amy finally shares a secret with her Time Lord chum.

7. The Doctor's old alias 'John Smith' gets another outing.

8. Watch out for the red balloons.

9. "**** Amy, but only when *** ***** *** too."

10. The final scenes are every bit as mind-blowing and game-changing as Moffat and co. would have you believe!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #691 on: May 27, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
Yeah I remember before the series started Moffat teased that both episodes 6 and 7 would end on a crazy/cliff-hanger note.

:caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #692 on: May 27, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
Why do I have a feeling that shit's about to get real?

As in, not just the cliffhanger. The entire episode - they've set the pieces up perfectly. Creepy, morally intriguing, and one hell of a premise.

Now, commence knocking them down...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #693 on: May 27, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »
Oh! And, while on the subject of Doctor Who, Alex Kingston was just on the Graham Norton Show. Nothing particularly interesting covered in it, but I've never really seen Alex in an interview scenario, so it was pretty nifty. I like her! Seemed a little bit like the odd one out in amongst the three lego-haired Hollywood actors, but she was pretty funny. Good story about biting a man's tongue.

Incidentally, has anyone listened to the Blogtor Who podcasts? They've been doing commentaries to every episode this series. I found 'em while searching for official podcasts (which don't exist!), and so I sighed and went "oh, alright, I'll give it a go."

They're really good! Genuinely laugh-out-loud funny, a little insightful, with interesting content. You can hear their enthusiasm for the show shining through. I generally find fan works a little tacky, but the Blogtor Who commentaries are just perfect. Cameron K McEwan's a proper spoddy Doctor Who fan - who manages to break the curmudgeonly mould by being really upbeat and enthusiastic - whereas his mate Sandy is a more casual fan. Quite a lot of funny interplay with the contrast, but unpicking it would ruin the magic - wonderful, joyous podcast.

https://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2011/04/blogtor-who-commentary.html

Highly recommended. I started with The Rebel Flesh but you can start wherever. They're all good. You don't even need the episodes on. I've only listened while watching very occasionally. Oh, and send my regards to Jimmy Big-Hands.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #694 on: May 27, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
Are they just podcasts or are they more like commentaries to the episodes?

Also, just saw the news that Piers Wenger has stepped down as executive producer as he was offered a senior post at Film4. Great for him of course, but it's a shame as he always seemed pretty cool on Confidential.

Still, at least Beth Willis is still there! :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #695 on: May 27, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »

Still, at least Beth Willis is still there! :heart

She is awesome  :heart  :)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #696 on: May 27, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
Are they just podcasts or are they more like commentaries to the episodes?
They're commentaries, but you don't really need the episodes playing as you listen. If you've seen the episode, it's basically just two people watching Doctor Who. The reactions are perhaps a little more important than the source material, but it's good to join in. They play silly drinking games. First episode's if you see a beard or an upside down face.

Then again, I've rewatched this series a lot, so it might just be me who can listen easily. Seriously, this business is addictive!

And yes, Beth Willis is brilliant, and Piers was too. Later, Piers! :(

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #697 on: May 27, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
Yeah I've watched each episode twice. Even just listening takes up a fair bit of time though as it's still episode-length, so if I check one or two out I'll probably do it with the episode on.

And yeah, Beth Willis is pretty much my perfect woman. Intelligent and successful, associated with Doctor Who, and not bad looking to boot!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #698 on: May 27, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
I think Karen Gillan might be mine (I love the quirkiness), but Beth's quite a lass. Feels crass to point it out, but have you seen the in-vision commentary for The Eleventh Hour? I think she's been borrowing skirts off Karen.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #699 on: May 27, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »
I don't know what you mean by "in-vision commentary" but I MUST SEE IT.

I be am boner inducing.