Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216477 times)

Offline TheMadgician

Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #630 on: May 22, 2011, 06:18:45 PM »
I got to "This is my Timey Whimey Detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Then I paused. Shouted "FUCK" and walked away.

Fucking. God dammit. I love this show.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #631 on: May 22, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »
I got to "This is my Timey Whimey Detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Then I paused. Shouted "FUCK" and walked away.

Fucking. God dammit. I love this show.
"It can also boil an egg at ten paces. ...Whether you want it to or not, actually. I've learnt to stay away from hens."

The man who wrote this episode goes on to become the new showrunner, a couple of series down the line. Be excited.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #632 on: May 22, 2011, 07:21:50 PM »
Yeah, I've heard the current writer makes fans collectively shit themselves at least once an episode. I look forward to this.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #633 on: May 22, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
Well, if you started with David Tennant, you've had The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink by him, so far.

Ohhhh, he has barely started.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #634 on: May 22, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
Well, if you started with David Tennant, you've had The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink by him, so far.

Blink is easily in the top ten episodes of the modern series. Also the girl in it is so gorgeous.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline robwebster

« Reply #635 on: May 22, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »

Blink is easily in the top ten episodes of the modern series. Also the girl in it is so gorgeous.
Absolutely! And, more importantly, talented. Winning Oscars, nowadays.

Love Carey Mulligan.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #636 on: May 22, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
I really loved Girl in the Fireplace. The clock work robots were just so awesome looking. I very much look forward to getting caught up.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #637 on: May 22, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »
Just wondering - did you start with New Earth, or The Christmas Invasion?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #638 on: May 22, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
Christmas Invasion. It started pretty slow. Wasn't sure how much I liked the show. And then The Doctor woke up. And that was all I needed.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #639 on: May 22, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »
Good! And aha, I know, right?!

I love the episode a lot more in hindsight, but when I first caught TCI I was pining for Eccleston. Spent 45 minutes groaning - enjoying it, but lamenting the lack of the Doctor. Agreeing with Rose even, he wasn't the real Doctor. But then Tennant woke up, and I never wanted Eccleston back again. Brilliant debut. A lot better than New Earth as a starting point, I'd say.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #640 on: May 22, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »
Alien Leader: WHO ARE YOU?<deep and angry>
The Doctor: I DONT KNOW!<deep and fake angry>

All I needed.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #641 on: May 22, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
Alien Leader: WHO ARE YOU?<deep and angry>
The Doctor: I DONT KNOW!<deep and fake angry>

All I needed.

I literally have no idea.

Am I.....ginger?

One of the best Doctor speeches ever.  :lol
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline robwebster

« Reply #642 on: May 22, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I think my favourite bit was "...no, hold on, that's the Lion King."

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #643 on: May 22, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »
That too. And "...Blood. Tastes like...A positive. With a hint...of iron."

That whole scene had me laugh/proud/raging.

Oh also, I've a song for you all. I was going to present it later in Robs Review Factory thread, but it would seem the production line has hit a bit of a snag. It's for the best though. More of you to enjoy it here.

The song Nerdcore Rising by MC Frontalot. He has two guest artists on the track, Jesse Dangerously and MC Hawking. At about 2:25 MC Hawking starts. Enjoy the sample at 2:50.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:03:58 PM by TheMadgician »

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #644 on: May 23, 2011, 01:46:59 AM »
Last episode was awesome  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #645 on: May 23, 2011, 01:51:29 AM »
I think my favourite bit was "...no, hold on, that's the Lion King."
That made me literally lol.

I like the first series, but that special was the first ep that really made me laugh!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: May 23, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »
Why isn't the Rebel Flesh on iTunes yet?  Seriously.  I am annoyed now.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #647 on: May 23, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
Finally saw Dr Who for the first time last night, it was the newest episode. I liked it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #648 on: May 23, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
Finally saw Dr Who for the first time last night, it was the newest episode. I liked it.
Go back and start from the beginning of series 5 (The Eleventh Hour) and catch up!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: May 23, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
Go back and start from the beginning of series 5 (The Eleventh Hour) and catch up!

This.  Then watch the other four seasons.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #650 on: May 23, 2011, 12:41:24 PM »
Watching it from S5 is definitely something I'd recommend, but don't feel like you have to. Not yet, anyway. What I think would probably be worth a go, though, is bringing up The Impossible Astronaut on iPlayer.

While I'd say that The Eleventh Hour (S5E1) is basically the perfect starting point, Doctor Who is designed so you can start from more or less anywhere. Each episode works as its own story, and so there's no harm whatsoever in beginning with The Rebel Flesh. You shouldn't feel like you're missing anything if you come into the story a little late. The series starts anew each week. There's an ongoing storyline that's occasionally hinted at, but you'll be able to work out what's going on no matter where you begin. No matter whether you start with Vampires of Venice, or Blink, or even the Waters of Mars, you're still on the same page as everyone else. That's absolutely unique to Doctor Who as a serial drama, and so you should never feel like you're obliged to read up on the entire saga before you start watching. You don't have to wade through oodles of backstory before you're allowed to watch each new episode as it unfolds, you're perfectly at liberty to simply just sit back and enjoy the ride from The Rebel Flesh carrying onwards into the future.

However! The underlying arc of this series is absolutely brilliant. It's very exciting, very clever, introduced in one of the best-written stories the show's done, and it's one of those brilliant mysteries that you don't need to follow, but I think you'll really enjoy tucking into.

Right here. The show makes sense without it, but it's so much meatier with it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #651 on: May 23, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
Well, it is of course enjoyable anyway, but I really think part of the excitement is the continuation from the previous series.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #652 on: May 23, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
Well I think I'm done studying for the day and gonna have a laid back rest of the evening, so I'll watch that episode tonight :D (and probably stay up till 5 am watching a shitload more, I tend to get obsessed when I find a new show :lol)
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #653 on: May 23, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »
I thought Saturday's episode was great, at least we know that it can be one of the two doctors now in the first episode :D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #654 on: May 23, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
I thought Saturday's episode was great, at least we know that it can be one of the two doctors now in the first episode :D
Not necessarily. In fact I very much doubt it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #655 on: May 23, 2011, 04:10:16 PM »
Well, I think thusly.. Doctor puts his hand in the goo, creates a new doctor, this doctor has the same memories, same age etc. Apparently it is possible to create a Tardis from that junkyard effectively. The doctor in the first episode was "running". Hmm.. That's my theory anyway.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #656 on: May 23, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
Well, it is of course enjoyable anyway, but I really think part of the excitement is the continuation from the previous series.
Oh, absolutely. It adds so much to it. I'd hate to get to Ep 7 of the current series, say, without having seen Ep 1. But Doctor Who is one of the only programmes on telly where it's not strictly necessary, it's practically a new show every week. Which makes it very easy to get into, so while I'd massively recommend catching up - let's face it, there's at least a year of backstory whichever way you slice it (48 years if you count from William Hartnell), and I'd rather someone came along for the ride than risk unnecessarily daunting them. Even if I really like an episode of a TV show, I can look at the amount of backstory and go "...oof, no," and it's just nice to emphasise that the option's there.

I'd recommend The Eleventh Hour under any circumstances, though. It's my favourite episode of any television programme ever, and if you're willing to put in the effort then I'd say it's the best place anyone could possibly start, with Doctor Who.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #657 on: May 23, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »
Turn Left is also a great episode! It doesn't feature the Doctor, but it's a really great story in my opinion.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #658 on: May 23, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
Well, I think thusly.. Doctor puts his hand in the goo, creates a new doctor, this doctor has the same memories, same age etc. Apparently it is possible to create a Tardis from that junkyard effectively. The doctor in the first episode was "running". Hmm.. That's my theory anyway.
I don't think that's what's actually happening...

But I think the Doctor's created a Ganger for a reason. He's behaving very strangely, this episode. He's deliberately arrived at the factory ("we're here"), he knows a lot about the gunge (to be expected, he's a time traveller), he tried to get rid of his companions saying that he "had to do something," and the bit at the start where he put his hand in just looked eeeeever so slightly deliberate.

He's a clever lad. I wonder if he's worked out what's happening, and is trying to think of clever ways to avert it.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #659 on: May 23, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »

But I think the Doctor's created a Ganger for a reason. He's behaving very strangely, this episode. He's deliberately arrived at the factory ("we're here"), he knows a lot about the gunge (to be expected, he's a time traveller), he tried to get rid of his companions saying that he "had to do something," and the bit at the start where he put his hand in just looked eeeeever so slightly deliberate.

He's a clever lad. I wonder if he's worked out what's happening, and is trying to think of clever ways to avert it.
Exactly, there has to be a reason! I guess we'll wait until the next episode, then it's only one after that until the three month break :'(

Offline robwebster

« Reply #660 on: May 23, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »

Exactly, there has to be a reason! I guess we'll wait until the next episode, then it's only one after that until the three month break :'(
ACK DON'T REMIND ME. D: Then three long months of cooooooold.

Also! Just had a thought. That bit where he went up to fiddle with the radio tower. Starting to wonder if he actually did whatever it was he claimed he was doing. As far as I can tell, the Gangers were given life through the cockerel. Which the Doctor was the last person to meddle with.

I don't know if it's a correct theory, but I'm really starting to see some mileage in it.

(I'm also seeing it all blowing up in his face. Firstly because he's effectively giving himself a death sentence, and Ganger-Doctor will hardly come lightly. He was the first one to say the Gangers had a right to life, too. Besides which, the writers would never let him succeed. It'd feel too much like a cop-out if it turned out the old!Doctor was a clone all along. But like the idea that the Doctor's perhaps trying to push it that way. Could be a really dark avenue to send him down.)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #661 on: May 24, 2011, 01:10:10 AM »
Interesting theories Rob! You're definitely right about him behaving suspiciously though, it's not like they're being subtle about the fact that he went there on purpose. I hadn't thought of him intentionally touching the gunge knowing what it would do, but it's a clever idea! Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #662 on: May 24, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
Aye! It seems a little callous for the Doctor - not to mention, the Ganger had the same idea at the same time, so the Ganger Doctor would want to sentence the real Doctor to death - but it's definitely plausible. Certainly cuts his odds.

ALSO! While we're on the subject of theories - I can't take any credit whatsoever for this, but someone I know has a theory about Amy's pregnancy, and it's simultaneously both the most brilliant and the cruellest theory I've heard.

Essentially... we think the baby's from a different timeline, most of us? Two different histories, competing for space. But two different causalities means two different chains of events, that are - apparently - constantly overlapping.

What if, towards the end of the series, Amy has to choose between those two timelines? The one where she's pregnant, or the one where she's not.

Simple enough, but there's one problem...

...what if the timeline with the pregnancy is the timeline where the Doctor dies?

I have no idea whether this is plausible - the two events are very probably totally irrelevant - but I really love it. And am jealous of my friend's mind.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #663 on: May 24, 2011, 10:04:50 AM »
That's such an interesting theory! And you know, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was something dramatic like that. Very clever of your friend to think of that!!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #664 on: May 24, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »
My theory is that Amy goes back to 1935 Austria and has an accidental one night stand with a guy named Erwin.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman