Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216386 times)

Offline adameastment

Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #560 on: May 01, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
I don't think it's the Silence, because they don't have the massive head, and aren't tall. It's definitely a hooman

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #561 on: May 01, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
AND - changing subject (I'm drunk, this post is going to veer erratically from subject to subject) something I've not heard anyone mention - the woman with the eyepatch in the corridor! What was going on there? Proper Life on Mars stuff. Loved it.
Which corridor!? I will watch it on BBC Iplayer!
The one who lured her into the room where she got captured! It was like a window opened on the door. "Nope, still dreaming."
Oh my god, I had actually completely forgotten that.

WHAT THE HELL

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #562 on: May 01, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
Well, lets think about it, it's not a memory because she's never been there before.

However, could it have been an image put into her head? It wasn't that room that, however... It's like a cell..? Prisoner 1? :P

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #563 on: May 01, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
As some of you may or may not have noticed, I've been avoiding the forums, and this thread in particular for fear of spoilers from Series 6. Just watched the first episode, and while I don't want to discuss or read any more of this thread before I finish the second episode, I'm sure I'll be excitedly posting in a day or so.

Also

GOD DAMN THE SILENCE LOOK COOL.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: May 01, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »
Do they?  I can never remember...

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #565 on: May 07, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »
the latest episode is absolute tosh
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #566 on: May 07, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
Huh? ???

Really enjoyed it myself! :D

And WTF AT THE WEIRD EYEPATCH WOMAN?! :dangerwillrobinson:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #567 on: May 07, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »
I'm no first aid expert, but I'm pretty sure you've got to pinch a person's nose when you're doing the kiss of life. Maybe that's just me being stupid/picky though. Good episode over all, really enjoyed it ^^
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #568 on: May 07, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »
Pretty "meh" episode, but fuck me next week's looks like a corker.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #569 on: May 07, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
I'm no first aid expert, but I'm pretty sure you've got to pinch a person's nose when you're doing the kiss of life.
:lol Hadn't spotted that.

I thought it was a really fun, swashbuckling episode, pretty clever in the twist, and had quite a sweet side as well with the father-son story. Bit of everything really, and probably a great episode for the younger viewers after the rather confusing opening two episodes!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #570 on: May 07, 2011, 12:45:17 PM »
I was pretty glad of a self-contained episode, myself. Answers within the story. Thank god!

Lovely little episode. Liked the twist. Fun. 'Citing. Little rushed at first but eased into it nicely.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #571 on: May 07, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
[size=11]Only reason I noticed was because I did an half an hour first aid thing with my class where we all had to resuscitate a dummy. It looked like Rory wasn't waking up so I screamed at the TV 'YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG'...Then he woke up >.< Probably to do with the angle of the shot though, Amy's hand would've blocked her face, and faces are more expressive than hands XP

I can't wait to see how my little brother reacts when he sees it, I did love the father and son thing as well, so cute <3
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #572 on: May 07, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »
I'm no first aid expert, but I'm pretty sure you've got to pinch a person's nose when you're doing the kiss of life. Maybe that's just me being stupid/picky though. Good episode over all, really enjoyed it ^^

CPR doesn't resuscitate people anyway, so its a pretty moot point what the technique was.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: May 07, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »
Haven't read the new posts because I haven't seen the new episode yet, but I did just watch End of Time. Oh dear god  :'( .

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #574 on: May 07, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »
Haven't read the new posts because I haven't seen the new episode yet, but I did just watch End of Time. Oh dear god  :'( .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rn77V1tG38

That scene is right up there with the end of Series 2, tragic on so many levels.

Also, I love the sarcastic video title :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: May 07, 2011, 11:03:28 PM »
I liked it.  There's something to be said about a series that actually can get you on the edge of your seat.  And I'm glad I wasn't too far off with my first thought about the Siren (that the "disintegration" was actually a teleport a la "Parting of the Ways").

Next week's episode is Neil Gaiman's, isn't it?  With the green-eyed Ood and apparently another living Time Lord.  Can't wait!  Haven't even seen the next episode but if/when Steven Moffat leaves I think Neil Gaiman could take the show in a very cool new direction.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #576 on: May 08, 2011, 03:58:38 AM »
I'm not sure Gaiman would ever do it full time, but if he did I would totally Mangini everywhere.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #577 on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »
See, it's almost like the Bad Wolf thing again. Like, people seeing things but not realising what they mean. I thought it was brilliantly done, and it was quite interesting. Although, something bugged me, if she puts all the damaged people into the medical bay, why didn't she do the same with the ships crew?

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #578 on: May 08, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
Huh? ???

It was crap, totally crap. One of the worst episodes of Who I have ever seen, it reminded me of Colin Baker era Who at its worst.

It wasn't even vaguely interesting. If it had been any programme other than Dr Who I'd have turned off half way through.
The main concept of the plot was stolen from Voyager! I mean, if you're going to steal from any Star Trek series then at least make it DS9!
The acting was, as has become customary with modern day Who, variant between average and atrocious. Sadly Amy seems to have become a rather one-dimensional character after at first being promising. Even Matt Smith, who I really like sometimes, was just plain annoying last night.
There were massive plot holes and factual inaccuracies and Hugh Bonneville looked almost embarrassed to be present.
Also, what is it with Rory nearly dying in every single episode? It's getting ridiculous  :lol
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #579 on: May 08, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
Huh? ???

It was crap, totally crap. One of the worst episodes of Who I have ever seen, it reminded me of Colin Baker era Who at its worst.

It wasn't even vaguely interesting. If it had been any programme other than Dr Who I'd have turned off half way through.
The main concept of the plot was stolen from Voyager! I mean, if you're going to steal from any Star Trek series then at least make it DS9!
The acting was, as has become customary with modern day Who, variant between average and atrocious. Sadly Amy seems to have become a rather one-dimensional character after at first being promising. Even Matt Smith, who I really like sometimes, was just plain annoying last night.
There were massive plot holes and factual inaccuracies and Hugh Bonneville looked almost embarrassed to be present.
Also, what is it with Rory nearly dying in every single episode? It's getting ridiculous  :lol
Oh my god. :lol

So, why exactly do you watch Doctor Who? Seeing as you apparently hate pretty much everything about it. :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:02:49 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #580 on: May 08, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
Huh? ???

Also, what is it with Rory nearly dying in every single episode? It's getting ridiculous  :lol
Oh my god. :lol

So, why exactly do you watch Doctor Who? Seeing as you apparently hate pretty much everything about it. :P
:rollin
Srsly, this episode was great, standard monster-of-the-week fare, with fun twists and a well contained story. If you take Doctor Who this seriously all the time, you're probably not going to enjoy it.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #581 on: May 08, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
I thought it was alright, but a far-cry from the previous two.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #582 on: May 08, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »
:rollin
Srsly, this episode was great, standard monster-of-the-week fare, with fun twists and a well contained story. If you take Doctor Who this seriously all the time, you're probably not going to enjoy it.

[/quote]

I grew up watching Doctor Who and by that I mean the old Doctor Who when it was made on a budget of next to nothing and was, no matter its faults, almost always charming and enjoyable.
The problem with much of new Doctor Who is that it takes itself far too seriously. It tries to be like all American sci-fi series in that it has a glossy view of the future and lots of explosions and special effects but, some of the time and not always, the show has lost the charm that made it such a great show in the first place.
Now you  guys said that last night's episode was fun and had twists and a good story but it just didn't. It was just a case of "stick a monster on a pirate ship and make everything vaguely spooky and then find some exceedingly convenient way of everything working out for the best". That isn't standard Doctor Who at all. It reminded me a fair bit of the last two RTD years of the show, when it was so regularly suffering from the same flaws that I began to find it about as enjoyable as I find Strictly Come Dancing.

For what it is worth, I think Matt Smith is a great doctor most of the time but last night he had so little to work with in the script that he could not help but be a little annoying.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #583 on: May 08, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
I grew up watching Doctor Who and by that I mean the old Doctor Who when it was made on a budget of next to nothing and was, no matter its faults, almost always charming and enjoyable.
The problem with much of new Doctor Who is that it takes itself far too seriously. It tries to be like all American sci-fi series in that it has a glossy view of the future and lots of explosions and special effects but, some of the time and not always, the show has lost the charm that made it such a great show in the first place.
Now you  guys said that last night's episode was fun and had twists and a good story but it just didn't. It was just a case of "stick a monster on a pirate ship and make everything vaguely spooky and then find some exceedingly convenient way of everything working out for the best". That isn't standard Doctor Who at all. It reminded me a fair bit of the last two RTD years of the show, when it was so regularly suffering from the same flaws that I began to find it about as enjoyable as I find Strictly Come Dancing.

For what it is worth, I think Matt Smith is a great doctor most of the time but last night he had so little to work with in the script that he could not help but be a little annoying.
Except that it doesn't really take itself seriously at all, and I think that's probably the problem here - you are taking it too seriously because of how you perceive it. And you approach it like a snobby Sunday Times critic, which is ridiculous for a family show that is, above all else, a bit of fun. I'm not saying you have to like it, but I don't see why you watch it so much when most of your complaints are pretty integral parts of Doctor Who. And yes that includes Classic Who as well as New Who. A lot of the plots back then made no sense whatsoever, and companions came very close to dying all the time.

If you're going to take everything you watch so seriously then surely you should want to find TV shows that suit your tastes.

And yes, it was a good plot, as evidenced by how most of us enjoyed it. Not the most intellectual plot ever, but does it always have to be? What's wrong with a bit of fun from time to time?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #584 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
Even though I didn't really like it, to be fair, anything less then outstanding is gonna look awful in comparision to the two part opener.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #585 on: May 08, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »
Even though I didn't really like it, to be fair, anything less then outstanding is gonna look awful in comparision to the two part opener.
Interestingly, while I adored the two-part opener, I can actually understand Doctor Who fans taking issue with that a lot more than this week's episode. It was darker and more complex, had some strange non-linear story-telling, and left a lot of questions unanswered. For me, I thought it was incredible and that style is one of my favourite things about Moffat-era DW, but I can understand why more traditional fans might not be so keen on it. 

I be am boner inducing.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #586 on: May 08, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »
Was sitting with my girlfriend watching the show yesterday and it got to the part where they get through to the ship in the parallel universe. When the Doctor and co. were trying to work out how to wake Rory up, she shouts "GIVE HIM THE KICK!"

It was awesome

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: May 08, 2011, 03:33:52 PM »
The major things that bothered me were these:

1.  How did the crew member that Toby cut get teleported? We never see that. He was just in the gun powder cabin in one scene, then the next scene he was gone. Did I miss something?

2.  The Doctor didn't really try once to save one person besides Rory. He kind of just let them go while he watches, even after he thinks they are disintegrated. That seems kind of...not like him.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #588 on: May 08, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
The major things that bothered me were these:

1.  How did the crew member that Toby cut get teleported? We never see that. He was just in the gun powder cabin in one scene, then the next scene he was gone. Did I miss something?
Same as everyone else I would guess. I don't think they showed every crew member getting taken did they?

2.  The Doctor didn't really try once to save one person besides Rory. He kind of just let them go while he watches, even after he thinks they are disintegrated. That seems kind of...not like him.
Yeah that is a little unusual, but I guess in order to know what is going on he has to see it first. Plus he probably already had suspicions that they weren't being killed.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #589 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »
Speaking of Rory... you'd think a 909 year old "Doctor" would have taken at least one CPR class.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #590 on: May 14, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »
Except that it doesn't really take itself seriously at all, and I think that's probably the problem here - you are taking it too seriously because of how you perceive it. And you approach it like a snobby Sunday Times critic, which is ridiculous for a family show that is, above all else, a bit of fun. I'm not saying you have to like it, but I don't see why you watch it so much when most of your complaints are pretty integral parts of Doctor Who. And yes that includes Classic Who as well as New Who. A lot of the plots back then made no sense whatsoever, and companions came very close to dying all the time.

If you're going to take everything you watch so seriously then surely you should want to find TV shows that suit your tastes.

And yes, it was a good plot, as evidenced by how most of us enjoyed it. Not the most intellectual plot ever, but does it always have to be? What's wrong with a bit of fun from time to time?

Can you please stop treating my opinions as if they're totally unreasonable? I'm not approaching it like a snobby critic, just someone who has reasonably high standards as to what I expect from the show. The fact that you enjoyed the show lastweek makes no difference whatsoever to my opinion.

In other news this week's episode is brilliant.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #591 on: May 14, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »
I'm not approaching it like a snobby critic, just someone who has reasonably high standards as to what I expect from the show.
Some would say there is sometimes little difference between the two, depending on what those expectations are. ;) But no matter.

The fact that you enjoyed the show lastweek makes no difference whatsoever to my opinion.
Indeedy, and likewise. I was just trying to get the point across that if you revised some specifics on what you expect, you might enjoy the show more, which would presumably be a good thing? :)

In other news this week's episode is brilliant.
Definitely, I thought it was absolutely wonderful! The whole idea was fantastic. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #592 on: May 14, 2011, 12:30:43 PM »
I cried.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #593 on: May 14, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
Yeah I got a little teary eyed at the end as well. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #594 on: May 14, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »
So, going back. What's your theories on the girl?

I think it's a Time Lord/Human Hybrid, or she's the Time Lord clone.