Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216614 times)

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #420 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
Looks awesome.

Also Neil Gaiman = Fantasy God
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: April 12, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
Cyberwhats now?  I thought they weren't bringing any classic villains into the series?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #422 on: April 12, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »
Cyberwhats now?  I thought they weren't bringing any classic villains into the series?
It looks like they're bringing in a couple here and there as incidental characters, rather than the main villains. At least that's the impression I get so far.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: April 12, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
They could've picked better ones than Cybermen.  I mean, they're just kind of all right as far as villains go, they're almost just like Daleks but not as cool.  Actually the Cyberman in "The Pandorica Opens" is probably my favorite Cyberman appearance. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »
The way I see it is it was brilliant when both daleks and cybermen were first reintroduced into New Who. Since then they are still used well as either incidental characters (like in Pandorica Opens) or in the fun episodes. RTD overused them a bit, whereas Moffatt gets it right IMO.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #425 on: April 13, 2011, 08:18:04 AM »
Visually, the Sycorax are my favourite villain, so damn cool.

As far as favourite overall villain, I'd probably go for the Dream Lord. Only appeared once, but such a brilliant enemy.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: April 13, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »
Oh man if we're talking about favorite villains...jeez, I really liked the gasmask kid, and the weeping angels, and the vashta narada, and the daleks too, overused/classic as they are. 

I really liked the Dream Lord as well.  Good way to personify the Doctor's regrets/angst especially for newbies who started on season 5. 

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #427 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/tubetalk/a314621/doctor-who-two-clips-from-episode-one.html

Two new clips from Episode 1....ahhhhh so excited for next weekend.  :metal

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #428 on: April 15, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: April 15, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »
Love those new clips, jonny.  Cool find, FOX.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #430 on: April 15, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5HrttOmzmA

I came.
I love the combo - DW and PT, gorgeous - but somehow the music doesn't quite fit. The EL riff's pretty chilled at its heaviest, and then you've got the Doctor being zapped and Jesus and thrown out of a bus. That said, I love the idea of having the zoom into Earth correspond with the long chord. Lovely.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: April 15, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »
After watching the whole video the one thing I couldn't stand was that the audio was clipping like crazy.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: April 16, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »
One week peoples!!!! Ahhhh, I've got a gig that night too, I'll be perfectly pumped for it after watching Doctor Who.  :hat

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: April 16, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »
Wish I had BBC America on campus.  Or that iTunes would put up a season pass for season 6 already.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #434 on: April 17, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
you could buy a cheap british vpn and use iplayer, or use other means?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #435 on: April 19, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
Sarah Jane Smith's died.

Apparently. Can't find any citations or articles yet, but it's appeared as a banner on Gallifrey Base, and it'd be a pretty fucking sick joke.

Breaking news, I guess. Jesus. RIP Lis Sladen.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: April 19, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
Was just about to post this. Sad news indeed.  https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/s7/doctor-who/news/a315485/elisabeth-sladen-dies-aged-63.html Great actor, RIP.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: April 19, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »
Really?  Wow...that's pretty young, actually.  I'm actually shocked.  Loved her appearances in DW, never saw SJA, but RIP. 

Offline Schleppy

« Reply #438 on: April 19, 2011, 03:14:11 PM »
Tried watching Sarah Jane's farewell scene from Hand of Fear when I found out. I couldn't. I had to stop halfway through because I was shaking.

RIP Lis Sladen. At the very least, Jon and Nick are waiting for you on the other side.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #439 on: April 19, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
Man that's such sad news, it wasn't long ago that the Brig passed. :( RIP.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #440 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »
Man that's such sad news, it wasn't long ago that the Brig passed. :( RIP.
Aye - when it rains, it pours. Two very significant regulars in as many months. I imagine Day of the Moon'll be dedicated to Elisabeth, as The Impossible Astronaut would be the one dedicated to Nicholas.

Feels a little uncomfortable, the idea that she could get the dedication delayed because someone else got there first. Harrowing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #441 on: April 21, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »
So I've decided that in preparation of the new episode on Saturday, I'm going to watch the whole of series 5 first, starting tonight. :D

Halfway through the Eleventh Hour already.

"Twenty minutes to save the world, and I've got a post office.

And it's shut."

:lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #442 on: April 21, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »
So I've decided that in preparation of the new episode on Saturday, I'm going to watch the whole of series 5 first, starting tonight. :D

Halfway through the Eleventh Hour already.
Revised reviews! Revised reviews!

I've been watching it out of order. Not as preparation, I just got bored the other day, picked up the box set, and ended up spending the next couple of days watching more or less every episode. Then with the commentaries on. Then the Meanwhile in the TARDIS scenes. Then Doctor Who Confidential. Then the out-takes. Then the video diaries. Then the trailers.

...and now I've got nothing to do again. D: Hence posting here a lot today.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: April 21, 2011, 01:30:07 PM »
The fifth season is fantastic.  The only episodes I haven't watched a bunch are "the Hungry Earth" and its sequel (can't remember the name).  If I watch "The Hungry Earth," then I have to watch the next episode, which means I have to sit through a scene I can't watch ever again.  :( :(

Offline robwebster

« Reply #444 on: April 21, 2011, 01:31:37 PM »
The fifth season is fantastic.  The only episodes I haven't watched a bunch are "the Hungry Earth" and its sequel (can't remember the name).  If I watch "The Hungry Earth," then I have to watch the next episode, which means I have to sit through a scene I can't watch ever again.  :( :(
Haha, if it's any consolation, THE/CB are, by and large, a little dull.

My least favourite eps of series 5, I'd say. Still pretty cool! And that scene in Cold Blood is mindblowing. The entire thing is quite tense, in fact. But The Hungry Earth is the only episode I've felt truly underwhelmed by, at its conclusion.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #445 on: April 21, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
Which one?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: April 21, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
Rory dies and Amy forgets about him

ITS SO SAD.

Or maybe its because THE just wasn't as great compared to everything else.  I should watch it again, though.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #447 on: April 21, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
Oh ok yeah, pretty incredible scene. Also isn't that the one where he finds the scorched piece of TARDIS?

The Hungry Earth is pretty slow going, but Cold Blood is fantastic, so overall as a double episode I like it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #448 on: April 21, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
The way I see it is it was brilliant when both daleks and cybermen were first reintroduced into New Who. Since then they are still used well as either incidental characters (like in Pandorica Opens) or in the fun episodes. RTD overused them a bit, whereas Moffatt gets it right IMO.

This is so true, Davies was like DALEKS, DALEKS, CYBERMEN, DALEKS, CYBERMEN, CYBERMEN, EPIC BATTLE BETWEEN THE TWO.

Moffat has bought back an aweful lot of character into the doctors character, Davies kept them almost too human. Which is something I love about the new series, and Matt Smith. Also, there's a hot ginger! :D

I can't wait to see how the River Song saga actually started, that seems like something good to see!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »

This is so true, Davies was like DALEKS, DALEKS, CYBERMEN, DALEKS, CYBERMEN, CYBERMEN, EPIC BATTLE BETWEEN THE TWO.

Moffat has bought back an aweful lot of character into the doctors character, Davies kept them almost too human. Which is something I love about the new series, and Matt Smith. Also, there's a hot ginger! :D

I can't wait to see how the River Song saga actually started, that seems like something good to see!
I absolutely adored RTD's Doctor Who. It was my favourite programme for five years. The best show on TV.

But Steven Moffat is just... better. Cleverer. Scarier. Funnier. Jauntier. I loved RTD's Doctor Who. But SM's Doctor Who loves me. It feels like it was made with me in mind.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #450 on: April 21, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
I absolutely adored RTD's Doctor Who. It was my favourite programme for five years. The best show on TV.

But Steven Moffat is just... better. Cleverer. Scarier. Funnier. Jauntier. I loved RTD's Doctor Who. But SM's Doctor Who loves me. It feels like it was made with me in mind.
Oh, I enjoyed the older series definitely. Hell, I bought all series 1 and watched them no end. RTD bought back Elisabeth Sladen (RIP) which I thought was a great touch.

I loved how Moffat did The Empty Child storyline in Series 1, and The Girl in the Fireplace in Series 2. He is truly a great writer, he's bought something to Doctor Who that personally, you wouldn't have been able to see with RTD.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2011, 02:41:26 PM »
Oh my, I'd forgotten how absolutely wonderful The Beast Below is.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #452 on: April 22, 2011, 04:07:38 AM »
It's gorgeous, isn't it? I think the plot suffers just a little from the lack of a real "wow" moment, but it's a lovely story and the Starship UK is beautiful. I want a Smiler. Just to have in my room - creep people out.

THE IMPOSSIBLE ASTRONAUT BROADCASTS TOMORROW!

How are we all doing for crackpot theories? I've got loads! I don't typically theorise much before a series of Doctor Who - most episodes in previous series have just been regular episodes, but now that we've got this exciting pile of events and shocks and twists and turns ahead of us, snaking around like spaghetti, I can't help myself.

I had a "moment" half an hour ago when I decided that River Song's secret is exactly the same as the Doctor's, and she saw him die when she first met him, so they're both pottering around concealing the exact same truth. I really liked this for all of five minutes because the irony is delicious, and it's properly timey wimey, and very Moffat. Then I decided that this would make no sense as she's always all laughs and smiles when she's going on about how "you'll find out soon," and that's an f'ing grim secret.

Then I decided that the "Good Man" she kills is Rory, and he is also the titular good man in "A Good Man Goes to War," but then I decided that that would make no sense as she doesn't recognise the "plastic centurion" in TPO, and is surprised to find that he's on their side in The Big Bang - so any episodes with Rory in will have to be set after the Pandorica in both of their timelines, and so she wouldn't remember killing him.

EDIT: Although! She only mentions killing a good man in Flesh & Stone, doesn't she? But, then, she's already in Stormcage at the beginning of TPO, so it still doesn't work.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #453 on: April 22, 2011, 04:42:50 AM »
It's gorgeous, isn't it? I think the plot suffers just a little from the lack of a real "wow" moment,
Hmm, I don't agree at all, I think the way the revelations towards the end unfold are fantastic, one of the best moments in the series IMO.

THE IMPOSSIBLE ASTRONAUT BROADCASTS TOMORROW!
:caffeine:

I had a "moment" half an hour ago when I decided that River Song's secret is exactly the same as the Doctor's, and she saw him die when she first met him, so they're both pottering around concealing the exact same truth. I really liked this for all of five minutes because the irony is delicious, and it's properly timey wimey, and very Moffat. Then I decided that this would make no sense as she's always all laughs and smiles when she's going on about how "you'll find out soon," and that's an f'ing grim secret.
It's a cool idea, but yeah I'm not sure she'd be so light hearted about it all.

Then I decided that the "Good Man" she kills is Rory, and he is also the titular good man in "A Good Man Goes to War," but then I decided that that would make no sense as she doesn't recognise the "plastic centurion" in TPO, and is surprised to find that he's on their side in The Big Bang - so any episodes with Rory in will have to be set after the Pandorica in both of their timelines, and so she wouldn't remember killing him.

EDIT: Although! She only mentions killing a good man in Flesh & Stone, doesn't she? But, then, she's already in Stormcage at the beginning of TPO, so it still doesn't work.
Also she doesn't only say "a good man" but also "the best man I've ever known" or something to that effect. Not sure Rory quite matches up to a statement of that grandiosity. Also, she's in prison in the 51st century for killing someone, so presumably the person she kills is also from the time frame, or it wouldn't really make sense.

Although ignoring that point entirely, my own crackpot theory was that she kills JFK and turns out to be the second gunman. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: April 22, 2011, 06:43:32 AM »
My theory is that she did indeed kill the doctor, but not necessarily THIS doctor, and not for malevolent reasons.  Could be she had to kill the doctor so he could regenerate, and if that particular Doctor were alive for some reason the universe would have exploded or something.  So when the authorities rush in to see her with a smoking gun and a dead guy, they assume the obvious.  Of course, it doesn't quite work because the Doctor doesn't really "die" before each regen, he just gets really close to it, then the gold light happens.  Maybe they see his newly regenerated self but he's passed out the way the tenth doctor was in "The Christmas Invasion."  Not sure if that all would hold up, and it seems like a bit of an obvious answer, but I figured it would be a cool idea, possibly even as Matt Smith's last episode.  Sacrificing yourself for the sake of the universe while uncovering a huge secret would be a good way to go, I think.