Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216390 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #385 on: March 30, 2011, 01:13:20 PM »
Pause at about 0:37.

See if you recognise whose TARDIS that is...

Was that David Tennant in the bottom right? :O

Offline robwebster

« Reply #386 on: March 30, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »

Rory Williams!

But it's the old school TARDIS. Dun dun duuuuuuun!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »
I couldn't tell from the video.  All I could really make out was a brown coat, blue suit/shirt, and sideburns.  But yes, the old TARDIS showing up is quite interesting...hopefully I can get this season on iTunes when it starts coming out...

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #388 on: March 30, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »

This was my initial reaction. Wouldn't that be epic?
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »
Well the fact that the 9th/10th Doctors' TARDIS has appeared is pretty damn cool in and of itself, although of course a Tennant return would be fab!

Generally an awesome trailer!

Also Lily Cole :heart

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: March 30, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »
Just watched "The Eleventh Hour" again (brilliant introduction), and I was just wondering...is there a really good Dr. Who drinking game that encompasses all of the revived series?  All I've found are old ones or 9th/10th doctor ones.  I feel like I should try and create this.  Oh the things I do to entertain myself during study breaks!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #391 on: March 31, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
Just watched "The Eleventh Hour" again (brilliant introduction), and I was just wondering...is there a really good Dr. Who drinking game that encompasses all of the revived series?  All I've found are old ones or 9th/10th doctor ones.  I feel like I should try and create this.  Oh the things I do to entertain myself during study breaks!
I've found some on the internet, but they've always been a bit rubbish.

Me and a couple of friends sat around and tried to make a drinking game out of watching The End of Time - two parts together, as a film. We came up with three rules, but one of them was "Every time he uses the sonic screwdriver." I did tell them he doesn't use it much in that one but they didn't listen!

Fortunately, "every time someone says DOCTOR" and "every time the master skeletons" got us lightly sozzled between them.

"Every time they reference a past story" would probably be a good one. They do that quite a lot.

Kosmo

« Reply #392 on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »
I've been watching the newest season now and holy fuck it's good, and i think i'll enjoy the earlier ones even more.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:47 PM »
I've been watching the newest season now and holy fuck it's good, and i think i'll enjoy the earlier ones even more.
Ha! Brilliant!

So glad. How far are you into it? Thoughts? Favourite episodes?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2011, 04:22:17 AM »
Tell you what this thread needs? More trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVAgyBOe84w

Gush, gush, sexwee, and indeed gush.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2011, 07:23:40 AM »
Tell you what this thread needs? More trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVAgyBOe84w

Gush, gush, sexwee, and indeed gush.

Fucking hell.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #396 on: April 02, 2011, 07:26:38 AM »
Wowowowow, I can't fooking wait.  Some bits look rate good.  :metal :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »
ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:12 AM »

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2011, 09:33:45 AM »
Hope it's 9 rather than 10
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
AS IF I COULD GET ANY MORE EXCITED

Quote from: faemir link=topic=7519.msg832125#msg832125
date=1301844552

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
Just finished watching Doomsday.

:'(

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »

I cry, every fucking time.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »
In watching some old episodes in preparation for the new series, I've gained a new appreciation for the soundtrack of the show. I mean, this show has some of the best music for a TV show ever. Especially at Tennants transformation. SO EPIC.

I cry, every fucking time.

Oh my god so sad. This is why I love this show.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #404 on: April 03, 2011, 06:55:43 PM »
In watching some old episodes in preparation for the new series, I've gained a new appreciation for the soundtrack of the show. I mean, this show has some of the best music for a TV show ever. Especially at Tennants transformation. SO EPIC.

Vale Decem is good, but the three best pieces Murray Gold has composed are I Am The Doctor, Doctor Gastronomy, and This Is Gallifrey. In that order.

All the Strange Strange Creatures comes next, but Vale Decem is a respectable fifth. Honest!

Incidentally, MG has been commissioned to provide the soundtrack to the next series of Torchwood. Fucking 'cited! What a composer.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: April 03, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
Doomsday was a good episode, but to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Rose, so I wasn't sad to see her go.  Maybe it was because she would complain about her (supposedly, but it turns out not really) unrequited love for the Doctor, or how she complained the whole time in "the Christmas Invasion" and "Rise of the Cybermen," maybe it was the bitchy way she kinda strung Mickey along, maybe it was because her face looked like a muppet's, or maybe because Donna was so damn awesome and the fourth season was so so good that the other RTD companions suck in comparison.  She just wasn't as interesting as Donna or Amy, IMO.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #406 on: April 04, 2011, 01:24:57 AM »
Doomsday was a good episode, but to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Rose, so I wasn't sad to see her go.  Maybe it was because she would complain about her (supposedly, but it turns out not really) unrequited love for the Doctor, or how she complained the whole time in "the Christmas Invasion" and "Rise of the Cybermen," maybe it was the bitchy way she kinda strung Mickey along, maybe it was because her face looked like a muppet's, or maybe because Donna was so damn awesome and the fourth season was so so good that the other RTD companions suck in comparison.  She just wasn't as interesting as Donna or Amy, IMO.

But...dat scene.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #407 on: April 04, 2011, 01:35:58 AM »
SDN has no soul.

Regarding the music, Murray Gold does compose some wonderful themes, but frankly his music would be considerably less amazing if it weren't for Ben Foster's orchestrations.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: April 04, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k_WotuXTkE&feature=channel_video_title

Behind the scenes insider.  Bit more info about the new season, worth a watch.  :)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #409 on: April 04, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
Rose is easily the worst companion of the modern series.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #410 on: April 04, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
Rose is easily the worst companion of the modern series.
I dunno, she had more personality than Martha. But then Series 3 was amazing, which makes up for her.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: April 04, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
I mean that last scene with the Doctor and Rose was sad and all, don't get me wrong, but I was perfectly happy to see Martha replace Rose...even if she wasn't really all that great either.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #412 on: April 07, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »
RIGHT! List of titles is now available! Plus, SFX have published extracts of some Steven Moffat interviews. Plus my thoughts, 'cause I'm dead excited and want to talk about the episodes rather than just copying and pasting.

1. The Impossible Astronaut / 2. Day of the Moon
The big two-part opener. Set in the USA. "Four envelopes, numbered 2, 3 and 4, each containing a date, time and map reference, unsigned, but TARDIS blue. Who sent them? And who received the missing number one? This strange summons reunites the Doctor, Amy, Rory and River Song in the middle of the Utah desert and unveils a terrible secret the Doctor's friends must never reveal to him." Meant to be darker than any of the other openers, and genuinely scary. Reportedly, they wanted to do an opening story that feels like it could be a finale. And we get to see a powerful new enemy, who are apparently worse than the Weeping Angels. Oooooh I cannot wait.

3. The Curse of the Black Spot
This is the pirate story. Set in the 1600s. The Black Spot was a plot device in treasure island, I believe (although it's ages since I last read it), and it's written by a fella called Stephen Thompson, who worked with Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss on the fantastic Sherlock. Steven Moffat sez! “Steve Thompson’s pirate one is just a glorious, hugely clever, very funny but again properly scary adventure. I knew Steven from Sherlock and other projects, and he desperately wanted to do Doctor Who. So he brought all that wonderful giddy enthusiasm of someone who’s a hugely distinguished playwright and very much the coming man in television suddenly getting to play with Doctor Who. It’s just bursting with Doctor Whoness, and it’s so much fun, and a wonderful contrast to our opener, which is quite intense.”

4. The Doctor's Wife
Neil Gaiman! And that title! This was written for last series, but they didn't have the resources to film it, so it's coming out this year instead, with all the bells on. “It’s a killer idea. A killer idea, which he pitched to me shortly after I first met him. And if I summed it up in several words for you you’d think ‘Yes, of course…’.” Neil Gaiman, of course, is the man who wrote Coraline, Stardust, American Gods, etc. etc. He's one of the fantasy kings. One of the elder statesmen of fiction. And he adores Doctor Who. This is going to be exciting. Not going to spoil any monsters, but apparently we've got a lot of continuity on our hands.

5. The Rebel Flesh / 6. The Almost People
Matthew Graham's episode for series 2 was, frankly, pants - a combination of poor direction, rushed scriptwriting, and the fact that the production team were out of money, and had to pay for it using the fluff at the bottom of their wallets, some old receipts, a couple of sexual favours, and a Doctor Who Top Trumps card. (Mickey Smith, if you must know.) That said, the man is supremely talented, and was the head writer for Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes - the latter of which almost managed to be better than Doctor Who in its last series, so I rate him massively. Plus, Marshall Lancaster! Who played DC Chris Skelton, and is a wonderful actor who I've wanted in the show since I first set eyes on Life on Mars.

Steven Moffat: “Oh yes, you’ll get a cliffhanger. In fact, you’re going to get several cliffhangers. You had two just there. And you’re going to get a couple of real belters. Not just episode seven. Episode six is an absolute cracker, isn’t it? If you run for 13 weeks you can start to feel as though you can miss one ep and it’ll be OK. We don’t want that – we stop for a few weeks and let you all worry about what’s happening and then come back. Of course we get then two finales and two first nights.”

Matt Smith: “At the end of six…we read it and went, ‘Oh my God!”

Plus, "The Almost People" is a phenomenal title. Love it. (Working title was "Gangers," which was a rubbish title.)

7. A Good Man Goes to War
Don't know much about this at all, and nor would I want to. According to Digital Spy, "The Doctor's darkest hour finally arrives, as the battle of Demon's Run begins! And as for the plot? We'll just say this - a shocking secret will finally be revealed, a familiar race of monsters (or maybe even two) will make an appearance, and silence will definitely fall..." Steven Moffat's one part finale, with a gamechanging cliffhanger.

This is going to be one hell of a tasty series.

Incidentally, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan have been talking - again, to SFX.co.uk - and both of their quotes make me brilliantly happy. Verbatim, from the website...

Matt Smith on possibly writing for the show: “I’d quite like to write a script one day, because I’m learning a lot from Steven. You’ve got to be really good to write a Doctor Who script, so it’s a long way off, but one day. I’ve never really shown anyone things I’ve written. And I’ve got to get over that, if I want to be a writer…”

Karen Gillan on Amy in series six: “I think she’s going to develop a lot. Amy’s very guarded, and doesn’t like to show her emotions, because she doesn’t want to show her vulnerability. She has trust issues with what happened with the Doctor when she met him as a little girl. And she’s kept that hidden in the last series… And I think we’re going to see that guard start to crack.”

Matt Smith for series 7!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:13 PM »
Would be cool to see Matt write an episode, or at least write it with Moffat as a bit of a training wheels exercise.  Either way I'm still really excited about this new season!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #414 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »
Re: A Christmas Carol CD Competition.

• Congratulations on winning Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol by Murray Gold!

The CD will be sent out to you by Silva Screen ASAP.

All the best,

The Doctor Who News Page

In conclusion, EEEEEEE!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #415 on: April 09, 2011, 07:54:07 AM »
Nice! What was the competition?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #416 on: April 09, 2011, 08:12:45 AM »
Just one of those silly little ones where they ask an easy question and select a winner at random. "What device did Abigail sing into in A Christmas Carol?"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #417 on: April 10, 2011, 06:01:07 AM »
Oh my, less than two weeks to go! :caffeine:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #418 on: April 10, 2011, 07:24:54 AM »

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: April 12, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:19:07 AM by jonny108 »